FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Lost" discussion *including spoilers* (Page 7)

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: "Lost" discussion *including spoilers*
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Good episode, even though nothing much was resolved. I was pissed when Charlie killed Ethan, because of course my curiosity was frustrated, and I don't handle that well at all. But I suppose Charlie was right that he wouldn't have told them anything, and what with Ethan being so freakishly strong and the possibility that there are others like him on the island, I suppose it wasn't really safe to try to keep him captive. Still...I wanted to know, dammit! [Mad]
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Alternately, it's entirely possible that Charlie is either in on the plot and killed Ethan to keep him from talking, or else was reprogrammed by the Secret Masters when he was kidnapped.

I was surprised that Claire wasn't too upset, since she did after all allow herself to be used for bait for the specific purpose of catching Ethan and getting some answers, only to have Charlie make her sacrifice completely irrelevant.

[ February 09, 2005, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't irrevelent! They wanted to prevent him from murdering anyone else, first and foremost. If he had been captured alive it would have been excellent, but one goal was to prevent more murder.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
I was with Tom in that I thought Charlie was in on it but I am thinking more that Claire is in on it. I would need to watch it again to see if there are any slips that give it away, but I suspect Claire of being "one of them" now. Also, I think Hurley might be even though I love the guy. Of the main characters, isn't he the only one we haven't gotten a "backstory" on yet? Some folks have had more than one flashback session, too. But Hurley, none. And he is the guy who did the passenger list. Someone made a point of this but he got all "dude" and smiled and reassured whomever it was (Sawyer?) that he was on the list. I don't know. Putting my money on Hurley being a plant, fun moments with the Korean gent aside.

What happened to Charlie's new friend? I thought he was heading down the religious path for a bit but that got scrapped pretty quickly.

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

...and Jack was right. Guns weren't needed (Jack winning this time was suspicious...was Ethan trying to get in among them?) and now, based on the previews, they are going to cause more trouble than they are worth. Hmmm...

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
That preview for next week pissed me off. I do not watch this show for that stupid love triangle.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
*****SPOILERS*****

Then watch the episode for the connection between Sawyer and another character.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
How did Jack beat the snot out of Ethan this time after getting taken apart the first time?

Did anyone else notice that for all Jack said about not letting inexperienced users hold the guns, he was the one who tackled Ethan and sent his gun flying? I was completely expecting Ethan to get the gun.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"How did Jack beat the snot out of Ethan this time after getting taken apart the first time?"

I wondered that myself. Ethan seemed rather out of it.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

He did look pretty crazed. But the night before, he took someone off the beach and broke quite a few bones in their body before killing them.

I keep wondering whether certain events, things, etc. actually mean something or are just bad TV. For instance, why did it take everyone so long to get to the clearing where Jack and Ethan were fighting? They were in line-of-sight with Claire. They should have been close enough to respond when Ethan showed up. By the time the rest of the crew showed up, the fight was all but over.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else notice the scratches on Ethan face? His left cheek looked like some one, maybe a female, had scratched it fairly bad. Maybe Claire. I am wondering if maybe somehow Claire escaped and Ethan was on the outs with whomever else is out there with him. Claire had not had the baby yet and Ethan was told to get the girl back. Maybe several days of no sleep and little food brought Ethan down.

The fight did go Jack's way pretty easily. Ethan had just picked Charlie up the day before so he was still fairly strong.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

The episode with Hurley's backstory is coming up pretty soon; not the next one, but before the end of the season (episode number 18, I think?). I think maybe he wasn't easily found on the passenger list because Hurley is just the nickname he always uses, and his real name is Hugo something-or-other. And that's a good point, Tom; it also crossed my mind to wonder if Ethan and/or the other baddies had reprogrammed Charlie so they could make him kill Ethan, should such a thing become needful to their aims.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Was Ethan abnormally strong? I know he picked up Charlie with one hand, but I've seen that done before on TV by someone who was just very strong, but not freakishly so. He beat up Jack the first time, but not by greater strength, but because he was a better fighter.
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
baddies had reprogrammed Charlie
I hope not! [Cry]

I also think it's unlikely. Charlie seemed to be acting purely out of his own desires and 'history'- he wanted to protect Claire as well as wanting to kill the man who had hung him. Sure he made a mistake, but it was totally understandably.

It's quite possible, however, that although Claire seemed to have returned under her own steam, Ethan wiped her memory. I noticed it only started returning after he was dead, possibly indicating a link that was severed at the time of death.

Or she was faking. [Angst]

EDIT: Top add the quote for clarity.

[ February 10, 2005, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Teshi, I would know if she was faking.
Teshi
Member # 5024

O.o You would?

...so she isn't?

zgator
Member # 3833

Of course not. Men know these things.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"I know he picked up Charlie with one hand, but I've seen that done before on TV by someone who was just very strong, but not freakishly so."

Charlie weighs at least 130 pounds. I'm actually a pretty strong guy, but I have trouble imagining that I could lift someone that heavy -- while struggling -- to eye level.

zgator
Member # 3833

Tom, I agree. I don't know very many people, if any, that could really do it. But it is TV. I have seen this happen done on TV before and not by someone who was abnormally strong. Just a strong guy picking up a little guy.
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks good on TV but to pick someone up with one hand like that with arm extended show incredible upper body strenght, not just in the arm, but in the shoulders and back. Try lifting somethin with a straight arm. Tough to do.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

quote:
For instance, why did it take everyone so long to get to the clearing where Jack and Ethan were fighting?
I think they actually did a good job of explaining this visually. They were in sight until she ran. Jack had a good angle on them and charged. They showed the other guys climbing out of thick brush or in Sayid's case out of the tree.

Thanks for note on Hurley. He is a favorite of mine!

I am sticking with Claire being programmed, not Charlie. We don't know that it was Ethan who swam out of the sea to kill that one guy...he might have been responsible but did he himself do it? Why did Boone (and others if Locke is to be believed) wander off during their guard shift? There is more to all of last night's events, to be sure. Will watch again to see if Claire gives any clues.

T_Smith
Member # 3734

Ok, for someone who has not seen every episode, could someone do the following for me:

1)Find or make a list of the reasons why people were traveling.

2)Make a list of characters who have had any supernatural stuff happen to them- e.i. Locke walking again, Walts "gift", Claires baby and the medium.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Well you could read the recaps but that might be too detailed and time consuming.

This site looks like it might have some good info.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Reasons for Travelling/ Supernatural Experiences

Jack: Taking the body of his father, who died in Australia, back to the U.S. He had a bad relationship with his father who was an alcaholic.

- Thought he saw a figure of his father standing on the island, in the water, etc.
- His father's coffin, when Jack found it on the island, was empty of his fathers body, but closed and in good condition.

Connections: Sawyer and Jack's father had a brief heart-to-heart in a bar.

John Locke: Traveling back home after being refused a place in a bush trekking party due to his disability.

-Got the use of his legs back when crash landed.
-Is the only person known to have face the Monster and survived.
-Seems to predict things on the island (occurances, weather and direction) very accurately.
-When Locke was a boy, his sister died and his mother was on a steady decline until a Golden Retriever came to the front door, seemingly as a replacement for his sister. When his mother died, the dog left.

Boone/Shannon: Traveling back to the U.S. together after Boone was tricked for the last time by Shannon into going to Australia to pay off an “abusive” boyfriend. He then abandoned her and ran off with the money, so they both traveled back together. Shannon speaks French.

- Boone has experienced a very realistic hallucination in which he witnessed saw his sister's (Shannon's) body grusomely mauled by the monster.
- Boone has encountered the beast. Shannon although she was 'there' was only a hallucination and therefore did not.

Sayid: Unknown

- The only one to have met with Danielle Rousseau, the French Castaway/Scientist. She told him some things about a "disease" that claimed her fellow castaways and the "Black Rock".

Kate: Arrested for a bank robbery after being in hiding for several months in the Australian outback. Traveling back in handcuffs under the guard of an American Marshall. Has killed the man she loved.

Hurley (Hugo): Drawn to Australia in his search to discover the origin of a sequence of numbers that had enabled him to win the lottery but had cursed him with disaster for everyone and everything around him.

- Hurley’s curse, that of the sequence of numbers, has followed him everywhere. These numbers, being broadcast from the Island, were heard by an old friend of Hurley’s while he served in the army. This same broadcast was what drew Rousseau’s team to the Island and also doomed them. These same numbers were inscribed on the metal hull that Boone and Locke had been uncovering.

Connections: Seen winning the lottery on TV in Korea in Jin’s flashback.

Michael/Walt/Vincent: Travelling back to the states together after the death of Walt’s mother.

- Walt seems to be able to think of animals (?) and make them appear, or come to him.
- Michael and Walt have both encountered the beast.

Rose: Unknown, but she was traveling with her husband who she fervently believes is still alive.

Claire: Put on the plane by the psychic who put her on this particular plane when he read in her palm that if she did not raise her baby herself terrible things would happen. She was going to give her child up for adoption.

- The psychic correctly knew that the plane was going to crash.
- Very realistic dreams that seem to be partly real and/or meaningful.

Charlie: Returning from Australia after attempting to regroup his band, Driveshaft, by visiting his brother and his family in Sydney.

- Possibly a supernatural experience: His guitar was found intact in an unlikely coincidence.

Sun/Jin: Jin and Sun were in Sydney together for Jin’s job. He was “delivering watches” for Sun’s father, for whom he worked and they were on their way to deliver more watches to Los Angeles. In America, Jin was going to leave his work (beating and maybe even assassinating people, as well as delivering watches) to start a new life with Sun. Sun was unaware of this fact and so because she was unhappy with Jin was planning to leave him at the airport- instead she got on the doomed flight.

Connections: Hurley was seen on TV in Jin's flashback.

Sawyer (Thanks Geoff!): (possible real name is James?) Unknown for sure. But is a tormented Scam Artist, who murdered the wrong man (he was in Australia to do this murder). He may have been returning to America to exact revenge from the person who misguided him into killing this person.

- Possibly a supernatural experience: Had three encounters with a boar that resulted in him changing slightly.

[ March 02, 2005, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

solo
Member # 3148

quote:
Put on the plane by the psychic who was trying to kill her
That's not the impression I got. I thought that the psychic new the plane was going to crash and that would force Claire to raise the baby on the island. I could be wrong though, I don't think we have enough information either way.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Okay, solo, I'll change it to be ambiguous. I'll keep this post and edit it when new information comes along.

If anyone else has any ideas or quarrels with what I've got listed here, just post.

solo
Member # 3148

I wasn't trying to be confrontational about it or anything. That's just not the perspective I took. I think it is a perfectly valid point of view though.
Teshi
Member # 5024

I know, and I tried to word my answer so it didn't sound like I was angry but it wasn't working!

I didn't mean to sound upset! [Smile]

Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
It's worth mentioning, I think, that Sayid met with Rousseau and received some hints about what this island did to a previous group of maroonees.

Oh, and you don't have Sawyer on there [Smile]

[ February 10, 2005, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Puppy ]

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Have they ever gone back to look for the cable that Sayid found?
Teshi
Member # 5024

No, oddly enough.

But I think it's like the Mysterious Metallic Hull, which although of critical importance, seems to have taken a back seat to other concerns.

I think it's just how much they can fit in an episode, so a lot of stuff gets shafted [Frown] .

fil
Member # 5079

Anyone tape the Jimmy Kimmel "Lost" show? I did just 'cause. Show sucks, by the way, but it was fun seeing cool Lost folks out of character...sort of. Mostly set up situations for Jimmy to play in...the actor that plays Sawyer refusing to give Jimmy some Off, Kate reading minds (for whatever reason) and Charlie-actor faking some guitar songs. Somewhat cute but having to suffer through some of the rest of jimmy's show was tough. He was a better second banana on that quiz show. Scary news...and I haven't seen it confirmed...was that David Cross (a fave of mine) was a guest and said that Arrested Development was over! Don't know if he was serious or if he was just...well...being David. He seemed pissed off but who knows.
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the Jimmy Kimmel clip. It's hilarious. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
*wipes tears from eyes*

That was hysterical

-Leonide

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Teshi: Walt, Michael, and Boone have all seen the face of the 'monster'. I believe Jack was in that scene too, I'll have to watch that particular episode again.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Teshi, I really appreciate you putting together that list.
Teshi
Member # 5024

You're Welcome, T, but really I needed an excuse to do it [Wink] .

raventh: I think there's a distiction between "being chased" by the Beast and actually "communing" with it.

Although Boone, Michael, (EDIT: Realised by me and then pointed out by Stray that Shannon is only a hallucination and has yet to encounter the beast) and Walt all have run with the Beast 'right behind them' I don't think they actually saw it... although of course we'd never know because they never talk about it.

Locke actually turned and faced the Beast in a way that suggests he faced his fears and this had some sort of "communing experience".

[Dont Know]

I'll make a note of who has run from the beast though.

EDIT: Last night, while mulling over Lost, and this vague idea I have that Walt is in an Island way Walt Disney (able to make things come alive) I realised that his guardian is called Michael, like Michael Eisner.

Michael adopted Disney, but he cannot really make it happy. Coincidence? [Wink]

[ February 12, 2005, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Stray
Member # 4056

I thought Shannon running from the beast only happened in Boone's hallucination/vision/whatever.

And that's a really funny thought about Walt and Michael [Smile]

Teshi
Member # 5024

Stray: After posting the post above I realised that this was true so when I went to edit the list post I noted that fact however I didn't go back and change the post above this post.

Anyway, it's changed now!

Stray
Member # 4056

Refresh my memory, when was Walt chased by the Beast? I know he ran from that polar bear (likely 'summoned' by his crazy psychic talent or whatever it is he's got), but when did he encounter the Giant Invisible Beast?
Teshi
Member # 5024

I actually don't remember.

[Confused]

I was sure that there was a moment, but perhaps it was a) the polar bear episode, which I only ever imagined from the recap (I never saw it)

Anyone else? or am I hallucinating like Boone?

Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I can remember, no one's been around the BIG BEAST (BB) except Locke, Jack, and Kate...Locke of course when he faced the BB, and Jack and Kate when they were in the plane nose with the pilot...(was Charlie in there too?)...and then I guess it would depend on whether you thought Boone was hallucinating *everything* he heard/felt/saw, or merely Shannon. In which case, Boone's been quite near the BB as well.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

Wasn't Walt trapped in some trees? I will find that episode and watch it again.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

Yes. Episode 13, 35 minutes in, he is trapped, and they all get a look at it for a while, as it is attacking trying to get in the trees where Walt is stuck.
raventh1
Member # 3750

If you say there is a difference, then how is Boone's induced communion any different?
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Walt being attacked by a polar bear, not the BB?

because I think we all got a look at the polar bear!

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Well, raventh, I'm looking it at the way that Locke actually turned and faced the beast and escaped unscathed- not scared, not with stories of being chased, with nothing but a creepy ability to understand and predict the island.

Boone however, ran away from the beast and did not gain this uncanny ability.

It's totally open to interpretation, of course.

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
*does happy dance*

I have found a place to watch Lost. The BP meet at a girl's house to watch it, and I've decided to join. Yay!

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Brilliant.

Was I the only one screaming "tell him!" when Sawyer realised who Jack's father was?

heh heh.

I can't wait until next week!

(The list is updated)

ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
Great episode-- much better than I expected based on last week's preview, I was dreading a boring Jack-Sawyer-Kate love triangle thing.

And yes, I was screaming "Tell him" too!

Can't wait for next week.

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.