FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Reading Aloud Club (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Reading Aloud Club
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi fallow.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Dragon, do you want White Nights?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
(Remember AK, I wasn't everything, I'm greedy like that [Big Grin] )

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Okay, Hobbes, I sent you everything.

Same here, you know. I want everything from you too.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

AK, I didn't get it. [Angst] [Frown]

Everything I have is on my website, so far I haven't done any e-mail only.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Cool, I am a Mod now! [Smile]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

You've been spending some time helping others get started and answering questions.

Besides, you're generally around later than I am, so you can approve those late-night joiners. [Wink]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Tatiana, I want everything from you, too.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I now have the English translation of the first bit of my French nonsense done too. I'm in the midst of emailing it all to Hobbes so he can upload it for me.

Last night, I amused my sister by reading her some of the funnier chapters from my novel. I recorded three of them, but only one was still there in the morning (the other two files "couldn't find" my voice track [Dont Know] ). So, for now, I have chapter 15, and will re-do some of the other chapters if there's interest.

My question for you is- do you like funny or serious?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I like funny. But that's just me. (You may notice that several of my contributions are humorous. [Wink] )
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

They were?

I didn't notice.... [Wink]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Oh, I see why it didn't go. My ISP is objecting to the filesize, sheesh! It's only about 20 MB. <grumbles>

I'll try breaking it up into two groups under 10 and see if that makes them happy.

Annie
Member # 295

OK, mine are in the database as URLs. I don't know if Hobbes has had time yet to upload them, but at least that's the address they will be at.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Within about 7 minutes of this post, my SSH client claims they'll all be up. [Smile]

(And they're great Annie! [Kiss] )

Hobbes [Smile]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

That seemed to work that time. Did you get them?

ketchupqueen, coming right up. Please send me everything of yours too?

Hobbes
Member # 433

No. [Frown]

Hobbes [Smile]

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
oh, yes please Tatiana! Thanks.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Dragon, sending you White Nights now. We will see if it alone is too big to send in one message. It's around 13Mb.

The last line actually goes like this, "Isn't such a moment sufficient for the whole of a man's life?" I don't think I said it right cause my eyes were so blurred that I couldn't read it properly.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Hobbes, dear, perhaps it will take a few minutes since it's so big. It hasn't come back to me or anything. Do you still not have it?
Tatiana
Member # 6776

"The Man Who Counted" is awesome! I particularly love it, twinky, when you laugh. I want more! The hotel one was pretty straight interpolation. I wasn't so amazed by that solution as the Wazir was. [Smile] But all of them are just great. Who wrote this story and when? The flavor of the culture that comes through is wonderful, as are the individual puzzles.

[ May 05, 2005, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Okay, Annie, that passage from the novel was wonderful! It reminds me of Jane Austen. How cruel of her, though, to do that. Did you not think?

Hobbes, the jokes are great. I laughed out loud about the snakes.

How do I get copies of the stuff that's linked in the database? If I can listen to it I should be able to download it, right? Can someone tell me the trick? If it's an actual link I can right click and choose "Save Target As", but if it's just a URL listed and I put it in my browser address line, I get to a quicktime slider thingy that lets me listen but I don't know how to make a copy from that point. I'm sure I'm just being dense, but can anyone tell me how to do that? I want to save them to my own hard drive so they don't go away when people graduate or change servers or whatever.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

I'm trying to catch up, so just now responding to stuff that happened days ago... but I remember now talking to you on the phone Hobbes! That would explain, I guess, why your voice sounded just like I imagined it would. [Smile]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Hobbes, Gravity's Rainbow is too quiet for me to hear. I can almost catch most of it but not quite enough to be able to follow. Is there any way to get a bit more volume? I've got mine pegged on this end.
Hobbes
Member # 433

I'll see what I can do about Gravity's Rainbow, but probably not, right now I've got a bad sore throat and I can only whisper.

I still haven't recieved your files. [Frown] Gmail can handle 10MB

Hobbes [Smile]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Oooh, take good care of that throat. I sent two messages each < 10 Mb this evening to your gmail account and they've not been returned or anything. Would you like me to try to resend? I bet there's just a delay somewhere and you'll get them soon, but I'll be glad to resend if you think that will help.
Hobbes
Member # 433

Well let's give it some time and see. [Smile]

Thanks AK! [Kiss]

Hobbes [Smile]

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks Tatiana, it might be too big, if Hobbes is right about gmail only taking 10 mb...
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I've just added the first four chapters of The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. I have a suggestion if it's not too late. Could we add a field for running time in the Yahoo database? I can see that being very useful for those who are deciding which they want to hear. This latest one runs 15:11.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Okay, if it doesn't show up in a little while then we'll try again with the files one by one, devoting a single message to each segment.

Silly email servers!

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Annie, I love Fraternite, especially the French version. Your french sounds wonderful, and I love listening to things in a language I don't understand. It gives it a mysterious quality, you pick up words here and there, and the essence flitters around you. Perhaps I will read my favorite storybook in Spanish, when I'm done with The Little Prince. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Tatiana, I don't know what I sent you... What have I sent you?
Hobbes
Member # 433

First part has arrived. [Smile]

(AK, whenever you make anything, I want it!)

Hobbes [Smile]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

ketchupqueen, I don't think you've sent me anything. Please can I have all that you've recorded so far?
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Hobbes, sending you the first 4 chapters of The Little Prince right now. And whenever you make something I want it as well.
Hobbes
Member # 433

I got The Little Prince, but part II never arrived. :-\

Hobbes [Smile]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Well, given how long it took for part 1, do you want to wait and give it a bit more time? Or should I resend?
Hobbes
Member # 433

Well I guess I wont have much chance to listen to anything tonight anyways, so may as well wait. [Smile]

Thanks AK!

Hobbes [Smile]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Part 1 is over an hours worth of stuff so that should content you for one day, I expect. :-)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Sent all mine, Tatiana. [Smile]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Got em, thanks!
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Hobbes, did part 2 ever make it?

Nevermind, I see your email saying it did, thanks. [Smile]

[ May 06, 2005, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
ak, it was written in 1972. By a Brazilian, actually, under a pen name. But it's set in the middle east in the middle ages. [Smile]

I'll try to read some more of it this weekend.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Oh, wow, that's so cool! It sounds very authentic. I was sure it was written by someone in Baghdad in the 6th c. or something. [Smile]

I've now available the next installment of The Little Prince (chapters 5-9, running time 16:34). This edition was given to me by Grisha, by the way, and it's the original translation into English, which I vastly prefer to the more recent one which is all that is currently in print. He found it for me in a used bookshop. It was such an awesome present!

Perhaps someone who can read French will read the original for us. That would be so great!

[ May 07, 2005, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm practicing Le Petit Prince. My French diction is rusty. I'll need to read over the segments a few times before I'll be able to record a passable version.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Oh, I adore the Little Prince! When I get some ansible time, I'll request it from you, Tatiana. [Smile] Did you see the opera version of it? It was on PBS a couple weeks ago. My 8 and 10 year old sisters even sat through it, and that's saying a lot for an opera. [Smile]

And that particular passage of my novel is the only one that's pretty much totally fictional, if that makes you feel better about the cruelty. Though, it is something those two people would totally do.

I have chapters 2 and 3 of Fraternite done, but still need to send them and also translate them.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

I didn't see the opera version. What did you think of it? For me the book is absolutely perfect, a wonderful jewel of light, and I can't imagine any other version of it coming close. But as an introduction for those who have yet to discover the book, I suppose any other form would work.

I would love to hear it read in French. I have it in Spanish but it's far too hard for me. My Spanish is not good.

The book I want to read in Spanish is La Verdadera Historia de los Tres Cerditos, the true story of the three little pigs by S. Lobo, the wolf. It's hilarious and way better in Spanish than in English, I think. The wolf seems so Latin to me. I can't believe he's an English-speaking wolf at all, I was astonished when I found out the book was originally written in English.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Okay, lots more stuff has become available while hatrack's been down. Check out the database on the Yahoo group here for more information. Anyone's welcome to join the group.
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
even if some one has not recorded any reading aloud yet (but is a fan of reading aloud)?
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a member and I haven't recorded anything yet.

[Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
cool, I'm not the only one, phew. [Cool]
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.