FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Reading Aloud Club (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Reading Aloud Club
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I love to read aloud to my friends, and even more to be read to. It doesn't matter what. I will be rapt and spellbound by the sound of anyone reading to me. Recently I listened over and over to a recording of BunnV reading a few paragraphs out of his biochemistry textbook.

To me it's totally not something that is just for kids. I sometimes record stories for my friends and family and email them out, but my secret (don't tell anyone) motive is that I'm hoping they'll record stuff to send to me.

I guess I'm just really weird or something. Nobody else seems to enjoy it like I do. Sooooo.... I'm taking it to the highways and byways.

Is there anyone else who would like to record themselves reading something they love and swap? (I hate my voice, btw, but this activity is so fun (and I've had so much practice reading to kids) that I lost some of my shyness about it.)

Or maybe you have a dread textbook reading assignment that might be made more palatable by sharing?

I have a free program I downloaded that allows me to record for long periods of time, and at a lower bandwidth selected for voice, so that the resulting filesize isn't too huge. I will be glad to send anyone a copy of it.

The current club list:
  • White Nights by Fyodor Dostoyevsky as read by Tatiana in 4 parts, total running time 1:54:25.
  • In Which Piglet Does a Very Grand Thing from The House at Pooh Corner by A.A. Milne as read by Tatiana, running time : 14:42.
  • In Which Kanga and Baby Roo Come to the Forest and Piglet Has a Bath, from Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne, as read by Tatiana, running time: 14:08
  • The Gift of the Magi, by O. Henry, Chapter 1, as read by fugu13, running time: 2:39
  • The Raven, by Edgar Allen Poe, as read by Hobbes, running time: 5:57
And much much more! See the yahoo groups database here for a complete listing.
How about it? Any takers? Email me at annekateard AT bham DOT rr DOT com to send or request stories.

[ May 05, 2005, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds fun! I read aloud to my daughter every night. It really wouldn't be too difficult to record our sessions on a tape recorder or something. However, we've already started "The Secret Garden", so you'll have to wait until we're through with that.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I record mine on computer, for easy emailing. Do you have a way to transfer from tape to computer?

I've also been looking for the cheapest and most convenient portable recorder that will put things in mp3 format. (Or if there's a quick way to convert from whatever format it records to mp3 that would also work.) Can anyone tell me the best way to go? What's the state of art in dictation machines these days, for instance?

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
MP3's not so hot a format for voice, I suggest Ogg Speex: http://us.speex.org/
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Russell, why not?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to do it, although I don't really have any equipment.

I think this is a great idea. We spent about a year recording us reading the New Testament together as a family when I was fourteen or so. I think it was supposed to be a gift for my grandpa, but we never finished it. I have all the tapes now, and I think they are the only recordings of my mother's voice. I haven't listened to them yet, but I love that I have them.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Its just badly inefficient. Something like Speex will result in a significantly smaller file size.

Of course, its harder to share a Speex file around as fewer people will be able to deal with it. A low bitrate mp3 should be adequate enough.

As for a converter, most any music program out there should be able to convert from many formats to mp3, and if not there are tons of specialized pieces of software doing the same.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

The recorder I downloaded has a way to make 1 kilobyte/second mp3 voice recordings that seem easy to understand. That's what I use. Would ogg be better?

[ April 22, 2005, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

For equipment, all you need is a microphone and a computer, kat.
fugu13
Member # 2859

If that is kilobyte per second and not kilobit per second, then speex can get it down to 2 kilobit per second (about a fourth of your size).
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Okay, thanks! Yes, it's kilobyte, sorry, I fixed it. I guess where that would come in handy is reading long things. So far the longest thing I've done is White Nights for Sasha, which is about an hour total, but I broke it up into four segments. The idea is to make each one a nice length for a bedtime story.

I'm willing to use whatever format others want, but I have this recorder software if anyone needs it, that can do mp3s at 1 kB/sec.

fugu13
Member # 2859

mp3 will definitely be the best for sharing.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Jenny Gardener, The Secret Garden rocks! I totally would love to get a recording of you reading this, even if it's only parts of it. No need to make it complete. After all, the book is there if I want to remember the rest of the story.

Obscure things or dry technical things are not excluded, either. Anything at all that someone wants to read or has to read I'm interested in. What I found it did with Sasha was provide motivation for me to read again something I loved but hadn't read in years. And I'm so glad I did. I had forgotten how much I loved that story.

[ April 25, 2005, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

So, Katie and JG, do you have any requests? I'm excited to hear whatever you guys might decide on, so fire away. Let me know if you need this recording software for your computers.
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Dostoevsky's "White Nights" or some other story?

I used to read for the blind. Scholarly linguistics papers. That was a trip. Sometimes I think I might like to record some motivational books on tape for my husband so he can listen to them in the car. I listened to the book of Mormon on tape for a while once and it was a really different experience. Most people have probably experienced that more, but I found it very interesting.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I join? [Smile]

I don't know how record onto my computer, but I'm sure I could figure it out.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be interested as well, I think.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Sure, Miro! Do you have a microphone on your computer? If so then that's all you need. I will be glad to send you this software and tell you how to set it up for 1kB/sec recording.

Pooka, yeah the story I read for Sasha was White Nights. If he seems to like that and requests more then I'll pick some others, maybe Tolstoy's Death of Ivan Ilych or else Family Happiness. My favorite Dostoyevsky short story is called The Little Hero, and I read it in an old collection at my university's library. It's been out of print for a long time now, though. I wish I could find a copy of that story. I'd definitely read it to him.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Awesome, Kwea! The more the better!
Miro
Member # 1178

I think I have a mic I can use. I'm not sure about the software, though. I have a mac. Is your program for mac or windows? I'm sure I can figure something out either way, but it'll have to wait 'till next week. I have two finals on Monday. This weekend's going to be hellish.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Heh, Miro, there's tons of recording software for macs, don't worry. If you have iLife, use Garageband, its great (add a voice instrument track, press the record button, record as desired, edit as desired).
fugu13
Member # 2859

Pick the app that suits your fancy: http://www.versiontracker.com/php/search.php?mode=basic&action=search&str=record&plt%5B%5D=macosx&x=0&y=0
Miro
Member # 1178

Thanks, fugu. I have GarageBand on my comp, so I guess I'll use that. I've never used it before, so I didn't know if it would be any good for voice recordings.
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
I have chapters of winnie the pooh as read alloud by Tatiana, and they are great to listen to. I especially like chapter 7.
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Decent headphones can be used as mikes too.

A real mike is preferable but...

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be down for this. I've been looking for a reason to read some of my favorite short stories again. [Smile]
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Ninja Birdman, what stories do you want to read? So far I have available for swapping 2 Pooh stories and Dostoyevsky's White Nights.

I think I'll keep a list on the zeroth post. Email me at annekateard AT bham DOT rr DOT com to send me recordings or to request stories.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I would do some Sherlock Holmes for you all if I had any kind of recording equipment. My dad used to read aloud with us as kids; when we get together, we still do it.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I bought a cheap microphone at Wal-Mart for about $10. It didn't work well, though, so I'm not sure I'd recommend that source. Can someone recommend a good cheap microphone to buy online?

I'd love to hear Sherlock Holmes!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad always picks up his best microphones at yard sales, but 1) I don't know what to look for, and 2) they usually require some sort of adaptor to plug into a computer.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Here's a cheap PC microphone from Amazon. No idea if they'd be any good, though. Reviews look good, anyway.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You know what else would be fun to do? Some of Kipling's short stories, especially the Just-So Stories. [Smile] Wow, that would take me back to my childhood.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ooh, thanks! we have Amazon gift certificates, I think, I could get it free!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, so, I'm in, pending me getting a mic and finding some software that works.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

kq, I have software! Want me to send it to you? And I LOVE Kipling's Just So Stories!

[ April 23, 2005, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, there seem to be a lot of links here, I'd just need to know what would work well with our computer.

We've got a 2.7 Ghz processor, 256 MB of RAM, running Win XP (stupid system). Any recommendations?

Tatiana
Member # 6776

I'm running XP on a Celeron with 96Mb ram and this one works fine on mine. I installed it, configured it for 1kB/sec mp3, chose a filename, and hit record. It was pretty easy.

It's called "All Sound Recorder" but I think the newer versions have time limitations. I've got an older version with no time limit, if you would like it.

[ April 25, 2005, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Sure! E-mail in profile. [Smile]
Hobbes
Member # 433

A decent pair of headphones works too...

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

ketchupqueen, it's sent. [Big Grin] I'm so happy that other people want to do this too!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Got it, thanks. I saved it to my desktop, is that what I should have done? *is totally technically inept*
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I guess so, 'cause now it's installed. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Um, now do you mind e-mailing me instructions, for future reference?

And Hobbesy, I don't have decent headphones. I hardly ever use headphones, so I have a folding pair I use for watching DVDs in public, and that's it.

fugu13
Member # 2859

And most decent headphones don't have a microphone installed, Hobbes, they focus on being headphones [Razz] . Certain kinds of headphones include a microphone, yes, but hardly most.

Try looking for a mic on most Grado or Sennheiser (or the like) headphones.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Okay, I'll just post instructions here, in case anyone else ends up using this same software. The file I sent is an exe file, so just double click on it to install it.

Once it's installed, you can configure it for 1kB/sec mp3 like this:
Run the program, then click on the little folder icon at the bottom left.
You get a "select format" dialogue box.
From the "format" drop down, pick "MPEG-Layer 3".
From the "attributes" drop down, pick "16kBit/s 12,000 Hz Mono 1kb/sec".
Click the "Save As" button and give this configuration a name.... I called mine "mp3 voice". Then click OK.
Next it will pop up a box for the file name. Drill down to wherever you want to keep these stories, and type in the name of the story you're reading in the filename box. Click Save.
Thereafter, click on the little triangle to start recording. Speak into the microphone.
Click on the box to stop recording. Listen to your recording using Real Player or Windows Media Player or WinAmp or any sound playing software like that.
You can also pause your recording at any point by clicking on the pause button (the two vertical lines).
Record a short test first to make sure it's working, before you spend a long time reading in a story.
Next time you record, you can skip the configure step and just choose "mp3 voice" or whatever you called it, from the drop down list in the select format screen.

[ April 23, 2005, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Cool, thanks. [Smile]
fugu13
Member # 2859

The Gift of the Magi, Ch. 1, my first podcast.

http://fugu13.com/blogs/cs/?p=8

Here's a direct link to the audio file:

http://homepage.mac.com/fugu13/Gift%20of%20the%20Magi%20Ch.%201.mp3

Tatiana
Member # 6776

<listens spellbound>

Oh, bravo! You read so well! I can't wait for the next chapter.

Hobbes
Member # 433

Fugu, I wasn't talking about headphones with a mike isntalled, I was talking about just reversing the headphones. Which just requires sticking them into the microphone jack.

Pretty low quality sounds but there's nothing cheaper than free. [Dont Know]

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Well now I've been baited into it. AK my darling (mind if I refer to you like that?) could you send me the program? I'd like to at least try. [Smile] Anyone have webspace they're dying to share?

Hobbes [Smile]

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.