FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Reading Aloud Club (Page 8)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Reading Aloud Club
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, Boon, since you made a point of saying that...

I will expect something by next week, ok?

I took a break from recording,as it seemed that half the readings on the first page were mine, but I will probably record some more later this week, if I have time. I just started a new job, part-time, and it is really taking off so I am a little short on time these days.

Not that I am complaining. [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Anna's Harry Potter is awesome! I'm enjoying it so much! :-)))))
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I can't wait for the next installment!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I listened to the first part of AK's Pooh's story yesterday night, and I totally loved it ! You read wonderfuly, AK. I'm going to enjoy listening to the following deeply !
I love Tom Davidson's Small gods too, but some times he reads a little too fast for me to understand everything at first listening - I guess it'll help me to better my listened comprehension.
I also listened to KQ and Ketchup Prince Consort, it's great.
Special mention for Annie : I listened to the beginning of the French version of Fraternity, and your French is nearly perfect ! I didn't know the text, and it's definitively a great choice. Very easy to understand, and yet very profound.
My projects so far : Record the Little Prince in French, and go on Harry Potter.
I love being part of this club !

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie sent me some files of her gorgeous voice:
Maria
PiensoEnTi
White Coral Bells
Mother

I'll let Annie darling post this on the site.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I'm glad you like Pooh. The goodness is all in the story, though. I apologize for my voice but like Hobbes said it's the only one I have available to me at the moment. [Smile] Grisha keeps requesting more Pooh so I will keep recording them.

I'm having so much fun listening to everything everyone's sent! It's great to have a bedtime story to listen to nearly every night! I finally got around to all the poetry ones, Kwea and ketchupqueen, and they are great. Reading poetry is much harder than prose, isn't it? I don't think I can manage it.

I, too, am having to listen to Tom twice to get all that's going on. I think it's probably because the book itself is quite clever and subtle. I've never read Terry Pratchett, but from this clip he seems extremely funny and good.

Anna, I'm really excited about you reading more of Harry Potter, and Le Petit Prince too. Your audience eagerly awaits them (at least this portion of it does).

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Reading poetry is much harder than prose, isn't it? I don't think I can manage it.
No, you can do it! There's a simple rule: take care of the sense, and the meter will take care of itself. The point is not to emphasise the meter of the poem; that's the poet's job. The point is to read the words of the poem, with feeling, like you would prose, and the meter and rhyme will come out despite you, but the emphasis will be in the right places. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Test to see how the yahoo database will copy and paste to hatrack. It seems like a barrier to require someone to join the group if they only want to peruse the available stuff. So I thought it might be cool to copy the listing here from time to time, depending on how difficult that might turn out to be. [Smile]

• Abbé Pierre Fraternit€ é - Chapitre 1 - en fran€ çais Annie http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~awahr/Annie/fraternite1fr.mp3 11:14 13,173 kB
  • Abbé Pierre Fraternit€ é - Chapter 1 - in English Annie http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~awahr/Annie/fraternite1en.mp3 8:39 10,157 kB
  • Annie The Lotus Eaters, Chapter 15 Annie http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~awahr/Annie/lotuseaters15.mp3 8:45 10,273 kB
  • Brill, Rob A Deadly Dream of Dancing Kwea brilljr AT hotmail DOT com 0:36 570 kB
  • Brill, Rob If Friendship Turns to Love Kwea brilljr AT hotmail DOT com 0:46 728 kB
  • Brill, Rob M'Lady Kwea brilljr AT hotmail DOT com 1:03 992 kB
  • Brill, Rob My Heart Kwea brilljr AT hotmail DOT com 0:48 766 kB
  • Brill, Rob My Music Kwea brilljr AT hotmail DOT com 0:41 645 kB
  • Brill, Rob What Does He Have Kwea brilljr AT hotmail DOT com 0:43 686 kB
  • Carroll, Lewis Jabberwocky (from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland) ketchupqueen ketchupqueen AT sbcglobal DOT net 1:14 146 kB
  • Dostoyevsky, Fyodor White Nights - parts 1 - 4 Tatiana annekateard AT bham.rr DOT com 25:01, 31:47, 19:36, 38:00, total 1:54:25 2933, 3726, 2298, 4454 kB
  • Fleischman, Paul Book Lice ketchupqueen and Ketchup Prince Consort ketchupqueen AT sbcglobal DOT net 1:04 126 kB
  • Fleischman, Paul Doves of Dodona ketchupqueen and Ketchup Prince Consort ketchupqueen AT sbcglobal DOT net 1:02 123 kB
  • Kafka, Franz Unhappiness Tatiana annekateard AT bham.rr DOT com 7:47 913 kB
  • Milne, A.A. In Which Kanga and Roo Come to the Forest and Piglet gets a Bath, from Winnie the Pooh Tatiana annekateard AT bham.rr DOT com 14:42 1725 kB
  • Milne, A.A. In Which Piglet Does a Very Grand Thing, from The House at Pooh Corner Tatiana annekateard AT bham.rr DOT com 14:08 1658 kB
  • Milne, A.A. In Which Eeyore Finds the Wolery and Owl Moves Into It, from The House at Pooh Corner Tatiana annekateard AT bham.rr DOT com 12:32 1470 kB
  • Milne, A.A. In Which Piglet meets a Heffalump, from Winnie the Pooh Tatiana annekateard AT bham.rr DOT com 12:40 1486 kB
  • Munsch, Robert N. The Paper Bag Princess ketchupqueen ketchupqueen AT sbcglobal DOT net 3:56 462 kB
  • O. Henry The Gift of the Magi fugu13 http://homepage.mac.com/fugu13/Gift%20of%20the%20Magi%20Ch.%201.mp3 2:39 2487 kB
  • Poe, Edgar Allen Annabel Lee Hobbes http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~awahr/AnnabelLee.mp3 1:26 679 kB
  • Poe, Edgar Allen The Raven Hobbes http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~awahr/TheRaven.mp3 5:57 5590 kB
  • Pratchett, Terry Small Gods (Part 1) Tom Davidson http://www.plastic-castle.com/smallgods1.mp3 24:19 11,410 kB
  • Pratchett, Terry Small Gods (Part 2) Tom Davidson http://www.plastic-castle.com/smallgods2.mp3 24:30 11,460 kB
  • Pynchon, Thomas Gravity's Rainbow Hobbes http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~awahr/GravitysRainbow.mp3 11:09 5230 kB
  • Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone, chapter one Anna annafrenc AT gmail DOT com About 30 minutes 6773 kB
  • Saint-Exupery, Antoine de The Little Prince, ch 1-4 (English) Tatiana annekateard AT bham.rr DOT com 15:11 1780 kB
  • Saint-Exupery, Antoine de The Little Prince, ch 5-9 (English) Tatiana annekateard AT bham.rr DOT com 16:34 1943 kB
  • Saint-Exupery, Antoine de The Little Prince, ch 10-16 (English) Tatiana annekateard AT bham.rr DOT com 22:57 2691 kB
  • Shakepeare, William No Longer Mourn Kwea brilljr AT hotmail DOT com 0:39 613 kB
  • Shakepeare, William Shall I Compare Thee to a Midsummers Day Kwea brilljr AT hotmail DOT com 0:44 688 Ko
  • Shakespeare, William When My Love Swears She is Made of Truth Kwea brilljr AT hotmail DOT com 0:44 700 Ko
  • Shakespeare, William Live With Me and Be My Love Kwea brilljr AT hotmail DOT com 0:50 796 kB
  • Shakespeare, William Sonnet 116 (Let me not to the marriage of true minds) ketchupqueen ketchupqueen AT sbcglobal DOT net 0:47 93 kB
  • St. John Revelation 6 Hobbes http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~awahr/Rev6.mp3 2:28 1157 kB
  • Tahan, Malba The Man Who Counted twinky http://www.strobelight.ca/mp3/The%20Man%20Who%20Counted.mp3 10:23 2555 kB
  • Tahan, Malba The Man Who Counted (Chapters 4-6) twinky http://www.strobelight.ca/mp3/The%20Man%20Who%20Counted%20Part%20Two.mp3 21:42 8903 kB
  • Tennyson, Alfred Lord Ulysses Kwea brilljr AT hotmail DOT com 3:30 3291 Ko
  • Unknown Jokes Hobbes http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~awahr/Jokes.mp3 8:56 4194 kB

Click here if you'd like to join the yahoo group.

[ May 16, 2005, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

It actually turns out to be pretty easy using notepad. I just copied and pasted each page of the database listing from Yahoo, then did a search and replace on "Edit Delete", (that has 2 spaces between Edit and Delete), and replaced it with the ubb code for "list item" which is an asterisk between square brackets. I copied and pasted this into the Hatrack message window, adding the List Start and List End codes, as well as a list item code for the first item, to finish the job.

Does anyone object to this? Should I disguise the email addresses better to thwart web crawler bots? I could do that fairly easily, in fact! <goes off to do it>. All I did was search and replace <space AT space> for <@> and then again <space DOT space com> for <.com>.

Oops, I messed up Russell's link that way! <fixes> Oooh, and Tom's too! <fixes that as well>.

With that done will this be pleasing to everyone? Please let me know what you guys think. I don't want to overstep. Thanks!

[ May 11, 2005, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Anna
Member # 2582

It's OK for me, AK. [Smile] Actually I think it's a pretty good idea.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great to me [Smile]

And Hobbes, dear, I thank you very much for posting my songs. Could you move them to the acapella singing thread, though? Thanks. [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

BTW, AK, I saw that you updated with a new pooh chapter - could you please send it to me ?
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohh, sorry Annie darling! Sure, I'll post them there too, how's that?

(And I didn't check, but if you haven't posted them on the group yet, you should probably do that, I don't know all the information necessary).

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

That list works quite well, I think...as long as it isn't a problem listing those works here at Hatrack.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Anna, the lastest pooh chapter has been sent to your gmail address. Hope you enjoy it!
Tatiana
Member # 6776

The next, and penultimate, installment of The Little Prince is now available. [Smile]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

The last installment of The Little Prince in English is now available. [Smile]

[ May 17, 2005, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like I should do one, what do people want to hear?
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently joined, though at the moment, I have no way of recording myself, unfortunately. But Anna sent me Harry Potter, and I'm looking forward to listening to it as soon as I once again have a working HD!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Dragon, whatever you feel you want to record works...that's the beauty of it!
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't do anything?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Exactally.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Dragon, if you pick something you really love, then I guarantee I will really love hearing it. Does that help? [Smile]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Grisha's reading of "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein is now available. IM him (aimname unkillableGrisha) to request a copy, or you can email me at annekateard AT bham DOT rr DOT com.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Does anyone have anything new for me to hear? For my next reading I'm going to do "La Verdadera Historia de los Tres Cerditos." Anna's wonderful Harry Potter has inspired me to also attempt a reading in another language. Hopefully that will be available in a day or two. In the meantime I'm really looking forward to listening to anything new by anyone else. [Smile]
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
If this thread keeps getting bumped to remind me I will read. [Razz] I'm thinking Seven Daughters and Seven Sons by Barbara Cohen and Bahija Lovejoy.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

I'm almost done with chapter two. [Smile] Only I haven't have much time for that lately, and I apologize.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Oooh, I can't wait until you're done. I got sidetracked on this whole bird flu business from what's truly important in life, the Reading Aloud Club. I will get La Verdadera Historia out soon!
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Now available: La Verdadera Historia de los Tres Cerditos, Por S. Lobo as read by Tatiana in her very bad Spanish. Running time 9:20, filesize 1094 kB. Email is in profile if anyone is interested in hearing this.
Kwea
Member # 2199

ak, it's ok...just don't let it happen again...
[Wink]

I will ask JenniK if she wants it, or rather if she would have time to listen to it. [Big Grin] She loves getting to use her Spanish!

Kwea

Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused]
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I've got a new Pooh story available, by request of Grisha. This is the one from "Winnie the Pooh" about them going on an expotition to discover the North Pole.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Two readings from the Book of Mormon join our library today.

I read from first Nephi chapter 8, in which Nephi tells us of the dream or vision which was granted to his father Lehi of the Tree of Life.

And then I read from third Nephi chapter 17, in which Christ appears to the Nephites after his resurrection, and prays for them and blesses their children.

I've added both to our Yahoo Groups Database. If anyone would like to hear them, please email me for a copy. [Smile]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

quote:
Originally posted by Tater:
[Confused]

Tater, did you have a question?
Kwea
Member # 2199

I was thinking about this the other day, and thought I would bump the thread to see if anyone, old or new, still was intereted in doing any readings....
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Kwea, how cool! I've been doing a few readings here and there and sharing them with my friends. Grisha, if you see this, you have a new story in your email. [Smile]

I'm still interested in hearing anything anyone wants to read. I've enjoyed everything everyone made!

Does anyone know if our yahoo database will go away from inactivity? I should probably try to grab a copy of it if it still exists.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

The database is still there! I did grab an export of it, just in case. But if anyone is interested in doing more readings, or in hearing any of the ones we have already, go to yahoo group jatraqueros and ask Boon for permission to join. It's really fun!
Kwea
Member # 2199

It was really cool, I am considering options for a new recording now. I am leaning towards some short story collections, I think. [Big Grin]
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about doing some more reading the other day, but am not sure what to read, and I'd have to dig out my mic, but anyway...

any suggestions?

Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I have liked most of what I have heard, so just pick something that you think would sound good. [Big Grin]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Read the thing you love most in the world. [Smile]
xxsockeh
Member # 9186

- posted      Profile for xxsockeh   Email xxsockeh         Edit/Delete Post 
Topics like this make me sad that I don't have a microphone. [Frown]
Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, I bought mine for $6-7 dollars at Best Buy..... [Wink]
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
And here I was contemplating a large-diaphragm condenser mic.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first time I've seen this thread but it sounds awesome, guys! Add me to the number of people who love to read out loud and listen to others as well. My husband, unfortunately, does not. I didn't know that when we were courting. We read out loud the entire Chronicles of Narnia to each other on our dates, instead of going to movies (we're broke - that's what I get for going for a missionary [Big Grin] ). Then, about two months after we were married, he says "You know, reading out loud doesn't do anything for me." And he won't do it ever since. Sigh.
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I love this thread, and wish that SOMEONE would would record something soon....

:::hint hint::

[Big Grin]

Kwea

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.