FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 'Rackademy Awards...That's it folks. Now for the after party (Page 2)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: 'Rackademy Awards...That's it folks. Now for the after party
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with rivka on that one.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't the technical awards be given in a small, offsite ceremony a week earlier?

And there will need to be at least a week of campaigning, which includes commercials for your own nominations as well as attempts to bring down the opposition. I suggest taking out ads in Google's AdSense so they show up in the relevant threads.

Also, we'll need a red carpet topic as a preamble, with lots of overenthusiastic coverage and gossip.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ralphie is a butt. ::snicker::
Nuh uh. You are.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
How did we start talking about Ralphie's butt?
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I'd like to nominate want2write for the best new 'racker category. Not since Maethoriell have we seen a newbie of this caliber.

Oh yeah. And for the Dobie category, maybe that ridiculous string of dobies awhile back. Like 13 of them or something. I forget exactly what it was they were dobie-ing. This one was also pretty good. Or at least I thought so.

[ May 02, 2004, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: jehovoid ]

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
-------------------------------------------------Ralphie is a butt. ::snicker::
-------------------------------------------------

Nuh uh. You are.

Ah, the fights my sisters and I had in our younger years.
*is nostalgic*

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
okay... this is becoming more fun every day [Big Grin]

So, nominations, then a short list, over-extravagant campaigns, then all the technical award being announced off site, then the threat of the major ceremony being cancelled due to industral action against the networks, then voting, then a red carpet, then dresses, then of course the long speeches cut off by the band. Then someone being all political and getting booed, then the after party at AIM....

How about this, then, revised and updated.

Nominate. Nominate any categories on top of the ones already existing. Nominate who you'd like to see in each of those categories including the ones below. Do it this week, let's say by the 7th MAy. Nominate either here in the thread or by emailing me.

Then I'll compile and release the short list for each category.

Then we'll give those people a week for campaigning, bribery, general flaming of one another etc...

Meanwhile everyone else can vote.

Then, on the fourteeth, I'll do the maths...

Sound okay???

Categories as they stand:

1. Best (Really) New Talent Has registered this year, and is still hanging around for reason or reasons unknown, and despite their better judgement.

2. Best Supporting Newbie Registered in the last 12 Months, and has a post count higher than, I dunno, lets say 200?

3. Best Screen Name. (all comers)
4. Best Alternative SN.
5. Best Hatrack Couple.
6. Best Dobie
7. Best Pun
8. Most passionate Arguer
9. Best Hatrack Family (siblings, children etc.. provided that all post to the 'rack.)
10. Most creative use of Foobonic
11. Best thread Hijack / hijacker

plus, don't foget the
Bob Scopatz Special Awards for Achievement

12. Best Banishment
13. Best return from an absence
14.Best thread or post that got a response from the moderators
15.Best use of graemlins (and this one, too)
16.Best story about a Hatracker's kid(s)
17.Best overlapping posts (i.e., where two people posted related things almost simultaneously)
18.Best out of context comment
19.Best Adjacent thread titles

And don't forget the newest special category..

THE HUGH JACKMAN AWARD FOR MOST ADORING EXPRESSION OF HOW GREAT YOU THINK A PARTICULAR PERSON / PERSONS / FICTIONAL CHARACTER / GENRE OF CHARACTERS (SUCH AS PIRATES) ARE.

Currently, I'd say we have at least one nomination in most categories, between those on the thread and those that've been emailed, so keep 'em coming, and help celebrate the best quality fluff on the internet.

cheers
tony [Big Grin]

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I officially nominate ak, Jon Boy, and rivka for Best Hatrack Expert Knowledge Sharing.

(I'm glad I didn't have to narrow down the list yet.)

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

Oh, and Mrs. M...

quote:
Well, I do think I'd look much better in that dress.
Though I'm inclined to agree with you, I've also learnt never to underestimate Bob, so I'm reserving judgement until the big night [Wink]
Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
3. Best Screen Name (all comers)--Of course I'd say myself...but for the sake of not being a bit butthead, I nominate Eruve. It just sounds cool.

4. Best Alternative SN--Pat and all his ilk

5. Best Hatrack Couple--can't decide between Bob and Dana or Jon Boy and Ruth, so I won't. Both!

That's all I'm motivated to think about right now, but I nominate whoever started the Pirate/Ninja thread for THE HUGH JACKMAN AWARD FOR MOST ADORING EXPRESSION OF HOW GREAT YOU THINK A PARTICULAR PERSON / PERSONS / FICTIONAL CHARACTER / GENRE OF CHARACTERS (SUCH AS PIRATES) ARE award.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nuh uh. You are.
Good one.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Annie and Hobbes gotta be nominated for the cute couple award. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the knowledgeable expert category is no contest -- CT!
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any rule about people nominating themselves? Do nominations have to get seconded?
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I nominate Narnia for being the best choir director.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

quote:
Is there any rule about people nominating themselves? Do nominations have to get seconded?
Nope...Nominate whoever, including yourself. It's all in good fun, after all. Likewise, don't worry about being seconded, or seconding others (unless you really want to [Wink] )just put people up there as a mark of your ongoing respect and unbounded admiration for their work in Hatrack Enhancement...

remember...only 3 nomination days to go! (Hmmm...this is starting to sound like some sort of reality TV show...)

Scythrop
Member # 5731

Oh, and I was asked yesterday if the whole voting thing will be kept secret, and the answer is absolutely yes. Neither who voted for whom, nor the number of people who voted for a particular person, will be revealed.

The information will be locked in a government vault for at least 50 years, until the official secrets act statuate of limitations on this sort of material expires. Or I just won't show the spreadsheet to anyone. [Big Grin]

Raia
Member # 4700

I nominate the Mooses for best Hatrack family!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Has anyone nominated imogen for the "Good Cod OSC" dobie? If not, I do. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Oh, and I nominate rivka for best use of graemlins.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The information will be locked in a government vault for at least 50 years, until the official secrets act statute of limitations on this sort of material expires.
Which government?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Which government?"

The Transitional Iraqi Government.

SORRY!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

Unfortunately they're nominated in the "Most transitional government" Category, so we can't use them. I was thinking of using Trinidad / Tobago, actually. - that way I don't have to pay any tax on the vault rental, either [Big Grin]
Narnia
Member # 1071

Ok, I'm going to put two nominations in for "Best Landmark Post." Claudia Therese and Ryuko. Those two were great!! [Smile]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Was Dan's "I failed" post a landmark? If so, I nominate it.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
I nominate Scythrop for Best Organiser of 'Rackademy Awards. [Razz]

Seriously, dude, you're doing a great job. [Big Grin]
And Imogen, too, I'm sure she's giving you a hand. [Wave] Hi Imogen!

See, I told you all Austraaalians weren't that bad. [Wink]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Dagonee, I'm not sure which post of Dan's you mean -- this was his last landmark. In any case, if that's NOT what you meant, I'll nominate it. [Smile] (If it is, I second. [Big Grin] )
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Nope, I meant this one, which isn't actually a landmark. So I'll second rivka's nomination and withdraw my own.

Dagonee

Scythrop
Member # 5731

quote:
I nominate Scythrop for Best Organiser of 'Rackademy Awards.

See folks, THIS is how you launch a campaign for best SN. TT&T, you've got my vote [Big Grin]
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to open nominations for "Best Lurker."

And I wish to nominate...well, you know who. Don't worry, I won't blow your cover by giving your name, but its you, so just consider this your nomination.

And if the lurker is unavailable to show up and collect their award, I have been authorized to accept for them.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack has a short memory. The best dobie ever was "I Don't Believe in Kama." Heck, it spawned its own Hatrack mythology! How can you overlook that?! I don't remember who wrote it, and it seems to be gone, though.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I nominate KaCard as best forum moderator on the entire internet.

I nominate her as the best person in Hatrack, prettiest, smartest, wisest, and most powerful.

I nominate OSC for best writer since God started dictating "In the begining..."

Now please, please, please don't take our Hatrack away again.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
amen.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Amen to that!

I'd like to throw in a nomination for Best Landmark for rivka's Soundtrack to her life. I thought it was very creative and personal. (That was you, rivka, right?)

<---- Will be terribly embarrassed if she has the wrong person. [Blushing]

Edit: Hey Ashley! Our member numbers have a pretty cool correlation! I just noticed...you are 1001 members after me, and I have 1001 posts at this very second! Wow... [Razz]

[ May 07, 2004, 02:36 AM: Message edited by: hansenj ]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
See folks, THIS is how you launch a campaign for best SN. TT&T, you've got my vote
[Roll Eyes] Heh, I already had your vote. And I have proof! That's how you know I was sincere with my nomination. [Razz]

Although I have to admit already nominating him for something else, can I please nominate Zevlag for Hatrack Hero, as he helped several of us regain our Hatrack-abilities today. Isn't he wonderful! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes... seconding the Zevlag vote.

Hooray!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to know who'll be doing the red-carpet commentary. Can I nominate myself?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
2. Best Supporting Newbie - My God, I no longer count for this one, do I. (dances)
4. Best Alternative SN - Pat. PAT PAT AND PAT AGAIN. Trogdor rocks. Also Bob, for Lavalamp.
5. Best Hatrack Couple - Hmmm... Ben/Ophelia needs a nom.
8. Most passionate Arguer - Tresopax and his counterpart Xaposert, also katharina and Belle.
9. Best Hatrack Family - dangermom and all her dangerkids.
11. Best thread Hijack / hijacker - flish/fallow. It just is.
13. Best return from an absence - I'd have to say flish/fallow.
14.Best thread or post that got a response from the moderators - There was that one that got a response from OSC over on t'other side...
15.Best use of graemlins - Hobbes, rivka
18.Best out of context comment - Kama, always.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't remember who wrote it, and it seems to be gone, though.
Strider.

But boy oh boy, he will so believe in me in August.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Some more nominations before the bidding closes:

Best Accent: Belle, Anne, Irami, Mrs.M
Best Cinematography (Photos): Mack
Best Waste of Time: The Penquin Game

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
As the one who posted the first Penguin Game thread, I'd like to say thanks for the nomination. It will be the only one I am connected with, so I am relishing it. [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I've been nominated!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
What about an alternate screen name and dobie rolled into one?
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Thanks, hansenj. [Smile] Yep, that was mine!
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
don't be foolish and waste your best couple nom on lindsay and i. hell, i keep her locked in a cage anytime we are around each other like John Cusack does in Being John Malkovich. how can that be a good thing, i ask!
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I think "grow" should win, or at least be nominated, for best wast of time, it was more addictive than freecell.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

Excellent - thanks all for nominations. I'll get to work and have category shortlists up soon. Then we can vote! And start a whole lot of corrution and whining in the media! What FUN!

quote:
I'd like to know who'll be doing the red-carpet commentary. Can I nominate myself?
It's a deal, Fallow. Warm up your speaking voice and interviewing skills [Big Grin]
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

Oh, I wanna be fallow's co-anchor (co-interviewer? Co-redcarpetperson?) What say you, fallow? Wanna share the limelight of the pre-show?
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
So whether I win anything or not I've decided to stand out from the crowd by following Uma Thurman's example and making my own dress from a shower curtain. Now my dilemma is which shower curtain to use. Should it be copycat in White & Gold , a more traditional design or should I go all out and completely over the top..

I also thought I could accessorise by creating my own jewellery in keeping with the shower curtain theme.

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Scythrop,

wow! really?!

*starts practicing joan river's voice*

scyth? can I make absurd ill-informed statements and get everyone's names and roles wrong?

sarcastic,

I would be honored.

[Hail]

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.