FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack.ca v2.0 is over. Pictures starting on page 19! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Hatrack.ca v2.0 is over. Pictures starting on page 19!
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
It has come to my attention that there are large numbers of jatraqueros and jatraqueras living within a comparatively small (by Canadian standards) radius of me. Some have expressed interest in gathering.

A few considerations are: 1) the school year affects some people (not me), what with free time allotments, funds for travel, and of course moving at the end of the academic year. 2) the work week affects some people (me), for whom fun is pretty much confined to weekends. 3) not everyone can travel on a whim, even with the relatively short distances we're talking about here.

Given these things I suggest we convene on a major urban centre. That is to say, Toronto. Everyone ought to be able to get there pretty easily, since it's a major transport hub for planes, trains, and buses.

So. When? Some weekend, obviously, but precisely which weekend should probably be decided by the school people, who I guess are getting dangerously close to finals and whatnot.

[Title edited.]

[ April 24, 2005, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
*cheers twinky, despite the fact he said he may not be able to attend* [Hail]

I am in Toronto until the 6th of May.

I have no present weekend commitments, and although I have exams there are only four of them spread ridiculously far apart across almost a month.

Pick a weekend, I'll be there.

Again, thanks, twinky [Big Grin] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

6th of May! That makes it pretty easy. I keep forgetting that Waterloo's terms end earlier than everyone else's because of co-op. From the second week of April onward, my weekends are free and I can make one of them a three-day weekend if people want to commence with the festivities on a Friday. Let's see what everyone else says.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

No, Toronto's terms in later than EVERYONE elses.

...but in this case, it's a good thing [Smile] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Toronto! I can get to Toronto! [Big Grin] We've been thinking of taking Thomas to the science museum up there.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Heh. Well, Waterloo's terms DO end earlier, too. So my perception is skewed. [Smile]
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not in Canada, but can I come anyway? I could swing Toronto, although I've never done the crossing country border thing by myself. It basically depends on the weekend, but I would like to come.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Of course! The gathering isn't exclusively FOR Canadians, it's just happening in Canada. If Telp doesn't see this thread I'll email him or something.

Tick, do you mean the Ontario Science Centre, or the Royal Ontario Museum? Because the latter has dinosaurs! [Big Grin]

Teshi
Member # 5024

The latter is Under Construction. They're building a big modern Crystal stuck on the side of it...

It's still open but in a much-reduced form.

twinky
Member # 693

Oh, right, the stupid Ruin The Awesome Museum project. Bah.

I love the dinosaurs.

TheTick
Member # 2883

I think I was at the first one, twinky. It's been a few years, though.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

[Smile]

You should take him to both, provided the construction at the ROM allows for the viewing of dinosaur bones.

TheTick
Member # 2883

He didn't seem too interested in the dinos at the Buffalo Science Museum, but the exhibit of art made up of gears/pulleys/found objects fascinated him. He's more of a train kid than a dinosaur kid. So far, anyway. [Smile]
twinky
Member # 693

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

What kind of little kid doesn't love dinosaurs? (I am betraying my secret dinosaur love here.) Though I confess that planes and trains are mighty cool too. [Big Grin]

Anyway, it'd be cool to met you and your family if you can make it. [Smile]

TheTick
Member # 2883

Give him time. [Wink] We were actually in Burlington a few weeks ago for an Ikea trip.
twinky
Member # 693

I'm thinking of going to Burlington this Friday for an Ikea trip. One of my friends lives very close to that Ikea. [Smile]
TheTick
Member # 2883

We got stuff for Thomas's room there, including his first real bed. [Smile]
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to go to an Ikea at some point to decorate our fabulous new pad, and Toronto is only 5 or 6 hours from here. I won't have enough money for a big shopping trip for a while yet, though. When's you thinkin?
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the latter is completely closed, isn't their a new exhibit with fossils showing the connection between dinos and birds? Something along those lines.

I'm interested, Toronto being so close and all. I don't really know what my schedule is going to be like (some things are still up in the air), but I do know that March is right out.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

March is right out for me, too. I only have one unbooked weekend this month and I'm saving it for the purchasing of important household items.
Ticklet
Member # 6918

- posted      Profile for Ticklet   Email Ticklet         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure given time I will like Dinosaurs a litte better. I do have a stuffed dino I like but I am not even 2 yet! Besides power tools are much more fun.

[ March 09, 2005, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Ticklet ]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

[ROFL]

Just keep an open mind, dude. [Smile]

TheTick
Member # 2883

[Big Grin]

He does like that stuffed dino - he will take it's mouth and make it bite you.

twinky
Member # 693

Just you wait. Before you know it he'll be playing with two dinosaur dolls, and all of a sudden:

quote:
"Yes... this is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... 'this land.'"

"I think we should call it 'your grave!'"

"'Ahhhhh! Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

"Hahaha! Mine is an evil laugh!"

[Big Grin]
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Twink, I live in Burlington! Not near the Ikea, though I know how to get there. Three most frequently asked questions in a Burlington gas station: where's the highway, where's the booze, and where's the Ikea.

I am definitely on board for a Hatrack CanaCon. Not this month, but there's a large number of April/May days I'd be free. Preferably May, since I have an exam mid-April.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

We'll keep it before May 6th for Teshi. Other than that, [Cool]
Teshi
Member # 5024

[Big Grin] [Group Hug]
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we should have this shin-dig at the Ikea. [Wink]
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

My Ikea trip is the day after tomorrow, but I'm sure I could be persuaded to return there later. [Razz] I'm sure we can come up with neater things to do, though. Like, seeing the dinosaurs at the ROM. *cough cough*
Teshi
Member # 5024

I live about two minutes away from the ROM. I can find out if the Dinosaurs are there or not....

But I have a feeling they're not, at least right now [Frown] .

twinky
Member # 693

It's okay. When I was living in Toronto last summer I went to see them twice in the space of a few days. I don't desperately need to go again. But I'm like a little kid when it comes to dinosaurs. And airplanes. [Smile]
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
*whistles innocently*

Look what's across the street... you should all come visit Ryuko and ElJay...

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Personally, I'm a big fan of trains (like Ticklet [Smile] ) but dinosaurs are cool too.

I know nothing about planes, except I'm not terribly happy when I'm inside them.

quote:
Look what's across the street... you should all come visit Ryuko and ElJay...
Nah. You should come visit US.

[ March 09, 2005, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

I'd want to go to the Science Centre more. It's interactive and such. Can you imagine a bunch of Jatraqueros on the Earthquake Bridge? Or trying out the talking typewriter? Besides, I haven't been to the Science Centre since I was about 11, and I need to go again.

(edited for spelnig)

[ March 09, 2005, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

twinky
Member # 693

Oooooooooooo... dinosaurs from China... *goes off to investigate flight options*
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Evil Laugh]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I don't remember the last time I was at the Science Centre. We could go there with Ticklet, maybe. [Big Grin]
Teshi
Member # 5024

From what I remember of the science centre in Toronto it's actually pretty good. Much better than the one in Ottawa, which seems to go by the theme of "Science? We don't need Science!"

It does have trains though.

ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
Nah. You should come visit US.
Well, this earthquake bridge thing you mention does sound awfully appealing, but I have a wedding to go to in April...
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
The last time I went to the science centre my friends and I all dressed up like the stereotypes of our professions. The computer scientist and I were demonstrating the concept of relative motion to children by walking up the down escalator when the security guards tossed us out for setting a bad example.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

LOL. So if you go, you'll have to be in disguise?
twinky
Member # 693

o_O

That's it, I'm instituting a Hatrack.ca dress code. Everyone must wear their regular clothes.

Teshi
Member # 5024

How are you going to enforce that?

"But I ALWAYS wear plaid lumberjack shirts and bright orange suspenders attached to spotted pink clown pants!"

[ March 09, 2005, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

If by "disguise" you mean "not a lab coat and goggles", then yes. It fun while it lasted though, everyone just seemed to assume we worked there [Smile]
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
How are you going to enforce that?

With my impeccable taste. [Wink]

(BtL, a word out of you and you DIE. [Big Grin] )

Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
I would probably be able to come if it was on a public transit line...(as the OSC is) and I would probably bring along a friend, if that's okay.

Depends on the day, though. If we do April 1st-April 2nd, I won't be able to come. (Robot competition at the Hershey Cantre, Mississauga. If anyone wants to drop in and see that, they're more than welcome)

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I can't do April 2nd. My university friends are convening for a massive party to celebrate a bunch of things (most notably two birthdays).
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

April 2 is a no-go for me as well. I'm flying.
Teshi
Member # 5024

*scratches April 2 off the list*
twinky
Member # 693

So we'll do one of the other three weekends in April, then. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.