FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack.ca v2.0 is over. Pictures starting on page 19! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Hatrack.ca v2.0 is over. Pictures starting on page 19!
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, talk about convenient timing to jump in and catch up on a thread. Yeah, if KW is more convenient than London, I can certainly offer a clean all girl student house for a day or two if you don't want to stay in a dirty all boy student house. (I make no promises it'll be any *tidier*, but it will be *clean*.)
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
BtL, do you come in a pocket version for easy consultation?

Added: *laugh* Okay, I won't worry about the extra days. You guys are ALL just incredibly sweet. [Kiss]

[ March 22, 2005, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I wish. I would totally buy a pocket version of myself to tell me what I'm thinking.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet? We're just getting started! It's the Canadian way, after all [Wink]
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
There's also a TTC bus from Terminal 2 to Yorkdale shopping centre, which is near the northwest end of the Yonge subway line. That takes you right down to Union Station. The bus is about $3.60, I believe.

And BtL's right. Even just the subway will get you pretty close to anywhere important. Or within walking distance. I believe a subway token is $2.25, and that includes transfers to upground TTC. A day pass is $7.50, unless they've upped the price. Oops. $2.50?

GO I was once told stands for Government of Ontario, since they own the thing.

Oh, and ElJay, Rei is going to be flying in Thursday as well. I don't have any more spare rooms, but both of us would be up for something that evening, if you were. [Smile]

Oh, and a car ride from KW where astaril is to the airport is about an hour and a half. The bus trip from the KW bus terminal to downtown Toronto is about 4 hours.

[ March 22, 2005, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

[ROFL]

Edit: That was to BtL... Eaquae Legit, I think if I come in Thursday I'll probably be concentrating on getting my butt wherever it's supposed to spend the night, but thanks for the thought. Although Teshi has a good point that I need to compare the cost of all the extra getting around to the cost of flying in Friday instead. A couch for Sunday night might end up being more important.

[ March 22, 2005, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

BtL, I must say this bus knowledge *is* impressive. And here I always figured you just looked up the buses we'd need ahead of time to impress directionless me whenever we were in T.O. [Razz]

Oh and by the way, the KW train station is on Victoria, between King and Weber. Just for future reference.

And ElJay, no problem. That's what student housing is for, cramming as many people as possible in to help others save money.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Astaril, are there any interesting events happening that Thursday that you know of? KWLT or on campus or Centre in the Square or soemthing?

EDIT: This applies even if ElJay isn't around.

Oh, and the trip from airport to KW runs about $35, with bus, subway, long bus, other bus.

[ March 22, 2005, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

4 hours? Holy blap, what kind of crappy bus driver did you have? Bay --> KW is an hour and a half, closer to 2 and a half if you take the Guelph line. I've probably done that route over 50 times and it's never taken 4 hours.

EIJay, if it's seriously cheaper for you to fly in for the extra days do let us know. I promise you we can pick you up from the airport and whisk you to a couch in a city of your choice or within Toronto at little-to-no cost to yourself. Ve hav our vays.

Ah so. Thanks, Asta. Consider me knowledgerized.

[ March 22, 2005, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: Bob the Lawyer ]

Astaril
Member # 7440

There's a weekly Theatre On The Edge show Thursday nights; it's a local improv comedy group that's pretty fun. I'm sure there's other things too. There's usually multiple festivals in various parts of town. I can look around and see what's up.

Oh, and four hours from Kitchener to TO?? What bus are you taking!? The Greyhound is an hour and a half to two hours, depending on the route, from Kitchener to Union Station.

Edit: Yeah. Like Bob said.

[ March 22, 2005, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Astaril ]

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

You know, now that I'm bragging about my travelling skillz I just know twinky is going to pop in here and point out that I only know the city so well because I've gotten lost so many times...
ElJay
Member # 6358

[Smile]

So, I've gone from being highly-unlikely-unless-a-miracle-happens to seriously-considering-doing-this in the space of about an hour. Cool.

Astaril
Member # 7440

We Canucks are miraculous that way.
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, I've gone from being highly-unlikely-unless-a-miracle-happens to seriously-considering-doing-this in the space of about an hour. Cool.
Oi do I know how that goes...

[ March 22, 2005, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: ReikoDemosthenes ]

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

DANGIT! No!!!! I just looked at my calendar and realized I've got my last exam that Thursday night! Well, drat. On the plus side, I'll be done around 9:00, and on the further plus side, it's taking place in the building across the road so I can be home by about 9:02. And on the further further plus side, I'll be in a fabulous mood when it's over because I'll have just graduated [Big Grin]

But I guess that means I'll have to skip out on much of the fun that night though. Unless you all want to come to my exam with me and watch me play with human skeletons...??

Edit: Hmm. Speaking of graduation, I ought to get back to finishing my essays of doom tonight so that becomes a realistic possibility. Talk to you all later, and good luck figuring it out, ElJay. Hope you can come!

[ March 22, 2005, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: Astaril ]

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

I'm probably remembering my trips to and from Richmond Hill. When you count the city bus to the KW Terminal, the wait, then the bus ride, then the subway up to York Mills, then the bus up to RH, yeah, it was a long trip. But I've made so many bus trips on so many different days and lines that they get all jumbled in my mind. Sorry. [Blushing]
Astaril
Member # 7440

But one more thing I just checked, KWLT (Kitchener Waterloo Little Theatre) does in fact have a show on that night at 8:00pm. It's Popcorn Plays IV - a collection of ten minute or less plays that are a mix of a bunch of different genres and are often locally written. They're usually pretty fun. Tickets are about $10 I think. Maybe a bit less for a group rate. So that's one idea.

Right. Back to the essay.

[ March 22, 2005, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Astaril ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Man, I wish. I would totally buy a pocket version of myself to tell me what I'm thinking.
[Laugh] [Razz]

I wish I could provide all those early-birds with a place to stay because it would be very convenient but I'm in a student residence and sharing a room so I don't think it would work so well... [Wink] Ah well, I hope all you people find accomodation!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay, just don't follow advice from Bob about which car to jump into when meeting new people [Big Grin]

Is everybody planning on being in Guelph that night now? *Debates about calling up her cousin for a place to stay*

[ March 22, 2005, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: Jaiden ]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Story, Jaiden? That sure sounds like a story...
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Guelph?

BtL and Astaril are in KW, and Rei and I will be in Burlington. Who's in Guelph?

Jaiden
Member # 2099

That's called me reading two thigns at once. I was thinking KW, but typed Guelph o_O
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

lol... Well, I know a great little cafe/indie theatre/bookshop in Guelph...

Just kidding. But I do love it there.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this thread has come a long way. [Smile]

I haven't quite decided what I'm doing. I might arrive on Thursday, I might arrive on Friday. I might leave on Sunday, or I might leave on Monday. I might take some time off from the gathering to visit family, and for that matter I might stay with family... or I might get a room at whatever hotel you guys are all using.

Ask me again in maybe a week. [Razz]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I went and checked tickets this morning, and prices have jumped more than 100 bucks since last time I looked.

So I put in an autonotification order. If they drop again, I'm booking, and we'll work out where I'm sleeping when it becomes an issue. If they don't, I'm staying home and sulking quietly. [Wink]

twinky
Member # 693

Hey, Teshi, if I'm in Toronto on the evening of April 21st (Thursday), can I get my Firefly DVDs back from you? I'd prefer get them the night before the festivities start and leave them with my gear, as opposed to carrying them around on Friday. [Smile]

(Oh, right, and just so you know, they're in the mail. I mailed them express the day before yesterday. So you should have them soon, if you don't already. Enjoy!)

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur
Member # 4026

- posted      Profile for Arthur   Email Arthur         Edit/Delete Post 
Eljay,
If you don't mind staying with an almost 2 year old you could room with us. We won't be getting there until Friday though. Also if it is somehow cheeper to fly into Buffalo than Toronto we would be happy to take you there [Smile]

Posts: 153 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
You beat me to it. [Smile]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Hmmmmm. I like kids, but mostly in small doses. So it would probably be better to arrange roomies a different way. Although I suppose you could say an almost-two-year-old is a pretty small dose? [Big Grin] I will check ticket prices to Buffalo, though, to see if that helps. I really want to come now!
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Hey, Teshi, if I'm in Toronto on the evening of April 21st (Thursday), can I get my Firefly DVDs back from you? I'd prefer get them the night before the festivities start and leave them with my gear, as opposed to carrying them around on Friday.
See the "I'm Hooked" thread [Smile] [Wink] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

ElJay, I'm not quite settled on Thursday night arrival yet, but if that's what I do then you can room with me if you like. Saves you the trouble of busing it to KW. I don't snore, and I put the toilet seat down. [Razz]

Teshi, I went and posted on your thread. [Smile] [Smile]

ElJay
Member # 6358

That's tempting, 'cause it looks like the flight gets in kinda late on Thursday, and I'm not sure I want to be arriving at KW at midnight or so just to go back to Toronto in the morning.

Bob the Lawyer, you used to room with twink, yes? Can I get independant verification of the no snoring?

*hopes no family members come in and mention she talks in her sleep*

digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I think it's official now... I can't come. [Frown]
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Oh no! [Frown]
twinky
Member # 693

I'm sorry to hear that, dh. [Frown]

BtL and I never shared a room when we lived together (in fact, I never roomed with anyone), but we did share a room at my place during the first Hatrack.ca and both of us, as far as I could tell, managed to get a decent night's sleep. That was the time Pod barfed on the subway. [Big Grin]

Anyway, the offer is open if you're interested, ElJay. Not that you're here to check this thread this weekend. [Razz]

twinky
Member # 693

*bump*

So how about this? I know I'm sold. Who's with me? [Smile]

kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I have to bail, too, guys. I've got a family thing that I need to be around for that weekend. I'm really disappointed that I can't go.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

[Frown]
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
swing could be neat...
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

So, that's two two hour classes, with dances after them? Would we go both nights, or would that be too much? *bounce* I like to dance. [Smile]

kwsni, that sucks. I hope your family thing is a positive one, at least.

[ March 30, 2005, 05:36 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Arthur
Member # 4026

- posted      Profile for Arthur   Email Arthur         Edit/Delete Post 
That looks like a lot of fun - but the tick hates dancing - Maybe Thomas could be my partner? [Big Grin]
Posts: 153 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

[Angst]
Teshi
Member # 5024

I was torn between "I always wanted to try that" and *runs away screaming*. But then I realised that If I always wanted to try it, this was the perfect opportunity because If I suck only selected people will know and there's no way I'd do it with people I know in real life.

So, reason won out. I'm in, if people want to do it.

ElJay
Member # 6358

I don't think you need to sign up with a partner, Arthur. If you read the descriptions, all bu the arials class (which I don't think we'll be taking) you rotate partners anyway. So you know, if you want to do it...
TheTick
Member # 2883

[Angst]

Multiple dance partners would be worse! My two-left-footedness would be inflicted on more people!

[Angst]

edited to stop an out of context reference

[ March 30, 2005, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: TheTick ]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

If people want to do the dancing, we're going to need to reserve spots in advance. So we'll have to come to a consensus.
ElJay
Member # 6358

Soooooooooo. My plane gets in 9:02 PM Thursday, 4/21.

twinky, did you decide if you'll be in Toronto Thursday night or not yet? Wanna be roomies? [Smile]

*bounce* I'm going to Canada! To another Con! Woo-hoo!

Addeed: My tickets are not refundable, so no backing out now y'all!!!

[ April 04, 2005, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

twinky
Member # 693

You've got yourself a deal, ElJay. [Smile] And actually, I get in a bit after seven, so I can hang around and meet you at the airport.

The lack of replies to this thread while I was away indicates a disturbing lack of interest in dancing. While I'm happy to go with just ElJay and Teshi ( [Big Grin] [Big Grin] ), if nobody else is interested I wouldn't really want to abandon the Con.

So far we have the ROM on Friday and the Science Centre on some other day (Saturday, I guess). What else do we want to do? Do people want touristy things as well as fun things? I've never been to Niagra Falls but that's a bit out of the way. There's the CN tower, I suppose. Thoughts?

Jaiden
Member # 2099

What's the official head count? Have we decided on a hotel yet?

I -can't- dance. I have no sense of rhythm. And three left feet.

But I'm game for it neverless [Smile] I have no idea if Ted would be game for dancing though, we've never gone dancing togeather- I don't even know if he knows how to dance
(Yes we have been togeather for 3 years... shows how big of dancers we are [Wink] )

I'm so-so game to do touristy stuff, I don't have unlimited resources so depending on the price of everything will dictate if I can attend all the touristy stuff. But if you guys want to go, I always love to wonder around the "lil" towns (china, italy, etc).

TheTick
Member # 2883

[Grumble] I might not be able to be off early on Friday like I hoped. If not, we probably wouldn't get there until late Friday/Early Saturday. Though, if anyone *did* want to do Niagara Falls on those days, it is very close to us. [Smile]

*continues to ignore the dancing*

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.