FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack.ca v2.0 is over. Pictures starting on page 19! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: Hatrack.ca v2.0 is over. Pictures starting on page 19!
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right.. I looked up VIA Rail prices because I was thinking about going across Canada this summer...

[Eek!] NOT affordable for me.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday for the ... *cough* t- other day, Raja. [Razz]

(You know you have to pay me not to tell, right? Right. Also, if I lived in Canuckland, I'd totally be going to the Canacon, if only to remind you of your gir-... dang, so many things I just can't say!)

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Thanks.

Don't worry, I'll keep the hush-up money coming in regular installments. [Wink]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like I'm out. I'm in a wedding that weekend. If it counts for anything, I'd much rather drive to Canada than stuff myself into a bridesmaid dress, but you all have fun, and somebody better take (and post) pics.

And Happy (late) Birthday, twinky. [Smile]

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
We're in. [Smile] Jen put it on the calendar so there will be someone that remembers.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

*bump* so everyone can see the finalized date and post their intentions.

Then we can start making proper plans.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I should be there, but don't include me in hotel plans. I live close enough that the expense of a hotel just isn't justifiable. I know I'll probably miss some of the late-night fun, but that's what late-night GO trains are for.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Erm, I guess I should add "I'm coming"...

"I'm coming."

[Although I can't guarantee any sort of sane state of mind. I'm already starting to lose my sanity over this present essay ("help! help! is the author referring to Plato's Cave Allegory? Is he saying that it's bad? Why is he saying that!? What does it mean?!" etc etc) and there are still a few essays to go...]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I will see if I can come after I know how much it will cost me. What with bus fare, hotels, and other expenses, it could very well exceed the capacities of my budget. My financial means have unexpectedly shrunk recently.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
*just found a fare of reasonable range...may be coming afterall*

I'm hoping to know in the next day or so

*crosses fingers*

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

*cackles* [Evil]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
aaaaand the verdict is...

I'm there!

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Just out of curiosity, is there any reason we couldn't do both the ROM and the Science Centre? I dunno about most people, but I top out after about 3 and a half hours in the ROM. That leaves a lot more hours to do other things. Even if we stared at the dinos for a solid five hours, that's still a lot of time left.
Teshi
Member # 5024

The ROM is free on Friday nights 4-9, and the special exhibition (The Feathered Dinosaur thing) costs less.

If people arrive before then, we could take advantage of this...

[Dont Know]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
I'm there!
Awesome. [Smile]

I think we can do both the Science Centre and the ROM.

Now to start thinking about where I'll stay...

kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Barring any emergency, I'm set to go, I've just gotta tell ken what days to ask for off. Finding a place to stay would be my next move...I dunno if you guys have talked aobut that yet.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know of a fairly kid-friendly hotel near to one of those sites?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Now we're getting into territory I haven't charted. I have no idea about places to stay in or around Toronto because every time I'm there I stay with family or friends. I haven't decided what I'm doing this time.

Do all of the hotel people want to try to stay at the same place (a kid-friendly place, obviously), or not?

Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say for sure yes...
The only hotel I know near the Science Center is "Inn the Park"... but it's a little expensive if I remember correctly. It's in walking distance of the Science Center, however, and kid friendly

[ March 21, 2005, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Jaiden ]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

What price range are we looking for?
How many hotel rooms? (5+ we should look for group rates...)

Fairmont Royal York has prices from $183-350+ [Wink]

Crowne Plaza has prices around $100 a night. (Near Ontario Science Center I believe)

Or there are things like the Days Inn, etc. that I believe run around $75-100 a night

[ March 22, 2005, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: Jaiden ]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I think that's most important to people coming from "away" -- TheTick and his family, RD, dh, and so on. But you're right, it's possible (probable?) that we'll wind up wanting five or more rooms.

So, faraway people, have a look at our options and settle on where you'd like to say. The rest of us will fall in line [Razz]

Arthur
Member # 4026

- posted      Profile for Arthur   Email Arthur         Edit/Delete Post 
I asked my boss, since her family spends a lot of time in Toronto. She said definately stay at the Crowne Plaza - they have a great pool with a dome over it and you can see the stars at night. Plus it is close to the science center and down the street is a little village- North York that has great restaurants. Plus the floors in the bathroom are heated

[ March 22, 2005, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Arthur ]

Posts: 153 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur
Member # 4026

- posted      Profile for Arthur   Email Arthur         Edit/Delete Post 
The Zoo has Creativity and Innovation week
Friday, Apr. 15 to Sunday, Apr. 24

A celebration of the unlimited potential in all of us. This week’s goal is to raise awareness of the opportunity to unleash creativity from within ourselves,our families,our communities and our workplaces. This year’s theme is “How might YOU creatively make a difference?” The Zoo is celebrating with activities in the Group Events Tent as well as special keeper talks, touch tables and more. Don’t forget to drop by the Americas Pavilion and check out our fantastic NEW interactive display - Zoos and Aquariums Take Action. www.zooaction.ca

Posts: 153 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
It's 3 days from Vancouver, BC to Toronto on the train. (I know this, because I'll be doing it next month!)

I don't know what the regular VIA price is, but I'm buying something called the North American Rail Pass, it costs ~$500 (U.S.) and allows unlimited travel for a month in the U.S. and Canada. One quirk of it is that if you get it you have to do travel in BOTH the U.S. and Canada... so in my case, though I'm wanting to do all of my travel in the U.S., to satisfy the pass requirement, I'm traveling from Vancouver to Toronto on my way back east.

Amtrak link -- North American Rail Pass

I'm going to miss the get-together date by a bit, but will there be any leftover jatraqueros in Toronto on April 27th? I'll be passing through around then...

[ March 22, 2005, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: plaid ]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Because of my financial situation becoming more and more restrictive with every passing day, it is becoming more and more doubtful whether or not I will be coming at all. But of course, if I do, it will have to be at the lowest price possible.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to come, but I as well am somewhat short on that whole 'cash' thing. I'm close enough that I could probably still make it by getting out of the hotel cost and coming just for the day on Saturday or something though.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

[Frown] I hope it works out. I'm sorry I can't be of anymore help in finding accomodation, but really I know nothing about such things and live smack in the middle of Toronto, where the hotels are ridiculously expensive.
digging_holes
Member # 6237

Is there one of those youth hostels in Toronto? I hear they offer very unexpensive lodging to travelling young people with little money.
Teshi
Member # 5024

There are a couple of sites that list youth hostels which provide cheaper staying, although the site I looked at didn't list prices:

Here's One List

All the other lists seem to have the same hostels with the same information.

If you search the individual names you'll come up with prices. The one at the top of the list, which seems overwhelmingly "cool", offers beds at $25ish/night for one of four beds in a room. I have no idea how much sleep you'd get.

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
May I point out, even though I'm probably not coming, that if you had 4 people staying in a $100/night room, it would also come out to $25/night/person? That's how we did it at KamaCon. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Or there's that option [Smile] .
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
But, ElJay, that would be logical.

Edit: What I obviously mean is I'd probably be up for something cheap like that for one night, anyhow, if anyone else wants to join in.

[ March 22, 2005, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: Astaril ]

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Sorry. I'll try to stay frivolous going forward.

After I mention that The Tick and family couldn't stay at a youth hostel anyway, and it's a lot more fun to have everyone under one roof, and that if you're going to be sleeping in a room with three strangers anyway it might as well be strangers you already know, kinda. In a place that has what sounds like a lot cooler amenities than a hostel would. And happens to be close to some of the really cool places you're talking about going.

Don't know why I keep reading this thread, anyway. [Razz]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

You're just jealous.

...yeah.

ElJay
Member # 6358

Well, yeah. Isn't that obvious? The museums sound really cool, and I'm not even gonna follow the zoo link 'cause it would just make it worse, and I'd get to meet all sorts of cool new hatrackers. *pout* And I can probably afford the bloody tickets, the problem is that to get the cheap fares I'd have to come on Thursday and stay 'til Monday, and no one would probably be interested in splitting hotel fares for that many nights and it's more time off work than I was planning on taking in April.

*grin* Not like I've been thinking about it or anything.

Myr
Member # 5956

- posted      Profile for Myr   Email Myr         Edit/Delete Post 
That's why *I'm* reading it [Smile]

edit: darnit, lj snuck in there when I wasn't lookin.

[ March 22, 2005, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Myr ]

Posts: 105 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I'm sad that you want to come and can't, but I'm happy that you would want to come [Smile] .
ElJay
Member # 6358

Awwwwwww! That's so sweet.

Ya never know, things might line up and let it happen. I'm not going to rule it out yet. But it's a pretty slim chance.

I've always thought it a pity that I live so close to Canada and have never visited. Of course, if that was my only motivation, I could accomplish it with a 5 hour road trip if I really wanted to.

kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
It IS nice to have everyone under one roof, since we end up staying up until all hours of the night, and spend way more time in the hotel just hanging out in the hotel than you'd believe.

Ken and I could probly handle the Crowne Plaza, if we had a couple people stay with us. Not like we spend that much time in the rooms anyway.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

Eljay, I live close-ish to Toronto (as in it's a few hour drive or train trip) but no big deal. So if you want to come and need some where to stay Thursday, etc. I'll double check with my peeps [Smile]

(Ted and I will be heading to Toronto for the festivities and staying there)

[ March 22, 2005, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Jaiden ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

[Big Grin] Thank you, Jaiden. I'm still not going to make a decision until I see how much time I end up taking off for the wedding, but that would make it another step closer to feasible.

So is there a train stop right at the airport? So I could fly in to Toronto and hop a train to where ever you are?

Teshi
Member # 5024

It's kind of ironic that we're considering going to the Ontario Science Centre, I mean given the initials and everything.

On the upside, I've just checked and I can easily get there from where I live, so that's all good for me. Anywhere closer is even easier (especially the ROM [Wink] ).

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd fly in and take one of any number of shuttle busses to wherever we're going. The bus system at the airport can take you to several different points along the subway line. Union Station is right smack downtown by the Royal York hotel, the bus station is on Bay Street and the airport is actually a little outside of the city, about 20 minutes by bus, depending on traffic. You can get pretty much anywhere in the GTA using public transportation, Toronto has a much better system than people in the city give it credit for. I think I've been in every station in the city at least once, I know my way around [Smile]

Or you could always take one of the bajillion cabs that haunt the main transport hubs. Fare from the airport to downtown would probably run you around 50 bucks though, much cheaper to bus it.

The ROM is right on the subway line at museum station and the Science Centre is a short bus ride from Eglington. Both easy to do. The zoo is on Meadowvale in Scarborough and, while you can still get there on the subway/bus line, it's a much longer trip. A good 30-40 minutes from downtown.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Yeah, if we go to the Zoo, it'd probably be easier for me to meet people and get driven out, if that's okay.

BtL, did you just do that off the top of your head? Or did you look it up? Everyone seems to know more about the ttc than me!

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
The only things I'd have to look up are the actual schedules. I know most of the bus lines/airport shuttles in the city off the top of my head as well as every subway station. I'm weaker on the GO system. But most people don't use that within the city.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I'm impressed.

But then I'm totally useless at public transport.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Most people who rely on public transportation know it off the top of their heads [Wink] Keep in mind that I've lived in the city about as long as you have but have friends and family scattered all over the place that I can only get to by "riding the Rocket". But here in KW? I barely know this place at all. Probably 5 or 6 bus lines, that's it. Heck, I don't even know where the train station is. Everything I need is around campus, why travel?
ElJay
Member # 6358

I'm impressed, too, for the record. [Smile] But the part I was actually curious about was getting from the airport to where Jaiden is, if I was going to spend the first night at her place. It sounds like I would probably take a shuttle bus into the city (No way on a $50 cab ride, even $50 of y'all's money. [Wink] ) and then grab a train from there?

And what's GO stand for?

Teshi
Member # 5024

GO stands for nothing, it's just the name of the short-distance commuter train company that runs around Toronto. GO trains are green [Smile] .

Okay, I looked at the map and there seems to be GO trains that run from near the airport- I'm assuming there are shuttles from the terminal to the station.

I don't know where Jaiden is, but you'd probably need to take the GO train to Union Station and catch another train from there to wherever Jaiden is.

It might be worth considering how much you would save on the thursday plus train versus the friday without... [Dont Know]

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

It doesn't really stand for anything... just GO, y'know.

You can take either an airport shuttle (for around 15$, they go roughly every half hour) to the Royal York and cross the street to Union Station where you'd then get on a train bound for London.

You could also take the 58a bus for $2.50 to Lawrence West and take the Subway south to the train station.

If you're going to the bus station and taking a bus to London you'd want to take the 307 line to Eglinton West and take the subway south to Dundas Station which is the bus line and get on a Greyhound.

It's about 3 hours to London from Toronto, fares you have to look up yourself. I'm actually a lot closer if you'd rather hang with me for a night or two, but I live in a dirty all boy student house. You have been warned. Astaril lives in the same city and I'm willing to bet her place is a lot cleaner. Point being, if you can get yourself here we can find a place to put you for the extra days.

Edit: Right. The airport shuttle gets you downtown in about 20 minutes, taking the TTC will take you about 35 minutes and you have to cart your own gear [Wink]

Edit 2: Darn it! I was right the first time, the fare is $2.50.

There may well be a GO bus that heads to the airport. But like I said, I don't do GO.

[ March 22, 2005, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Bob the Lawyer ]

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  19  20  21   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.