FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Conquer the Galaxy with me! (strategy game) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Conquer the Galaxy with me! (strategy game)
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Robots don't really help us yet, you know. But like you, I couldn't resist building them anyway. [Razz]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought robots decrease production time by a bit.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

They do, but since production times for mine/synthesizer upgrades are relatively short anyway, the limiting factor (as Enigmatic pointed out on page one) is the rate of resource accumulation.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

well, I just built one, and it halved all production time of buildings...
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
They help a tiny bit with scheduling. I sit here and build until I'm out of resources and then go do something productive in the real world while my mines work.

So with the robots I get more off computer work done and less solitaire and web-browsing while waiting for building completion.

Whether this is a good thing or not I guess is a matter of perspective.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Edit: To MEC.

Right. But you still have to wait multiple hours to save up enough to build the next building, so halving the time to actually construct it once you've saved enough doesn't really matter when compared to reducing the time to save enough (by upgrading your mines).

Robots will be good when it's time to build rocket silos.

MEC
Member # 2968

Yeah, but when I'm making multiple buildings I don't have to wait for one to be finished to build the next.
twinky
Member # 693

It's a matter of metal/crystal investment per unit time savings.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
There should be a way to store energy.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
45 minutes until I can build a research lab.

*twiddles thumbs*

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

If you could store energy it would be just another resource to accumulate. That would throw off the whole balance of the game, I think.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotten into the habit of updating my mines slightly past the capacity of my solar energy, and decreasing the productivity of the resource I have the most of (currently it's metal). Then after I get time and resources to update my solar plant I just play with the percentages.

I have next to no wasted energy that way, but for some reason there's an extra 2 points of energy being used somewhere that I can't place. That messes things up more than anything.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Sarcastic muppet: I do much the same thing. The ability to under-power your mines adds some flexibility, especially when you're at points where upgrading the solar plant is very expensive.

I've also noticed that the energy doesn't always add up correctly. Mine is usually 1 off on the resourse screen, though I've seen it at 2 or 3 as well.

Progress: I have 12 points, 2 technologies researched, and have started building robot factories as a step towards shipyards. Just got back from movie/dinner, so have accumulated resources to blow through.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Bubblor has taken over the planet Effervescence in a bloody coup d'état, seeing the planet's surface flattened and the civilization reduced to ruins. Now, the mighty Bubblor is starting from scratch, rebuilding the world in his own mighty image.

Bubblor!

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote down all the ones I could see and stuck it in my notes section for future reference:

Name
Planet

Enigmatic
Dark Matter

Peter Wiggin
Earth

twinky
Levo

Jaime
Path

MEC
Terra

Shigosei
Whitefall

Tstorm
Festivo

Vassilia Cora
Dxun

CaySedai
Andor

Beren
Cindy

Wowbagger
Draconis

Dro_Trebor
NGKA

Mathmavin
Tenalp

Oh, and I read through the tutorial: they really encourage fledgling empires to raid other planets for resources once they can build up a fleet. O.o

*edit to remove locations

[ May 31, 2005, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Remember, sarcasticmuppet, I'm in universe 4, not universe 5, to make sure that the people running the game don't ban either Shigosei or me for multiplaying.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Fascinating, I was wondering whether or not I should post this game. I've been playing for about two weeks now... So, my stats right now.

Oh, and for what planet I am n'stuff.

Planet: Zegoria
Ruler: Vadon
Coordinates: 2:170:7
Current Alliance: The United Inter-Planetary Council (UIPC.)

Metal Mine: level 9
Crystal Mine: Level 11
Deuterium Synthesizer: Level 9
Solar Plant: Level 12
Fusion Plant: Level 3
Robotic Factory: Level 2
Shipyard: Level 4
Metal Storage: Level 1
Research Lab: Level 3

So, yeah, lots of good stuff and a huge excess of materials.

Oh, my fleet is one small cargo ship and one solar satelite if anyone wishes to know.

So, here's an offer, I have a lot of extra Metal, I'm saving up my crystal for a colony ship so I can have more planets, but some metal can be sent.

Does anyone want about 5,000 metal? First come first serve.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Bam! Bubblor will take the puny man's metal!

Edit: But not all. Share it out. Bubblor is as fair as he is greedy and bloodthirsty.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

Alright, I'll be sending you 5,000, then. (I only need 10,000, I want to have always around 20,000 and I've got 27,000.)

Should arrive in roughly 5 and a half hours.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, well, I'll take some if you giveing it away but I'm doing fine as I'm at the moment.

MM: 4
CM: 2
DS: 2
SP: 6

Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Curses! Bubblor is far from Tiny Man planet. Tiny Man needs faster ships [Wink]
Vadon
Member # 4561

Heh, Lucky you, Vasslia, I accidentally said to make another cargo ship in the process of trying to send one to Bob. So in just a little while you should be getting another 5,000.

That'd be nice to have faster ships, Bubblor, unfortunatly that's even running at 100% fuel usage... So that's the fastest a small cargo ship can go. *grumbles*

*Is saving up for the Colony Ship.*

Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, thanks [Big Grin]
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

Sent it off with 4,000 metal and 935 Deuterium.
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Wow, 935 Deuterium thanks!

P.S. I sent you a message.

Vadon
Member # 4561

You're welcome, and I responded.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
dan_raven
ravensnest

[ May 31, 2005, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

muppet: good idea getting locations in one place. And I've read the forums and such, the game is definitely PvP/raiding oriented. There's also a limit on how many planets 1 player can have, which I have mixed feelings about after playing Master of Orion type games on the hugest map settings.

Vasslia: I'm not too surprised that people on hatrack were already playing. This is really the kind of game that's best to get in on right when it starts. I think after a bunch of us learn the game here, when they start a 6th universe we all join it to have a big team-up right off the bad. (assuming it holds peoples' interests that long, of course.)

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- Happily continues to upgrade the homeworld.

I've found keeping the power up is quite the challenge. I did build a research lab way too early, but that was before I checked back here.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

That would be fun, Enigmatic. [Smile]
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I have decided to join in as well. I just started so I don't have much of anything.

Quara
Lusitania
Coordinates Removed

[ May 31, 2005, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: theresa51282 ]

Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I was messing around and I created an alliance by accident. How do I disband my alliance?

Right now there is only 1 member. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

has anyone made a jatraqueros alliance yet?
twinky
Member # 693

We can't do that until we have interplanetary communication...
MEC
Member # 2968

If I click on alliances it looks like I can join lots of them, even though I have no communication with them...

I just created one, search for jatraqueros.

To disband an alliance click on "Administrate alliance" next to your rank.

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip MEC. I just applied to the jatraqueros alliance. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I have also just applied. Hadn't really looked into forming it yet, because I don't think there's not much you can DO as an alliance until you have space travel. (I have a shipyard now, but no ships just yet.)

I believe you're also supposed to announce the creation of a new alliance in the game forums, though I don't know how important that is. Declaring war on other alliances does need to be done in the forum, though I'm a little vague on what the line is between just raiding someone and an actual war is.

--Enigmatic

Vadon
Member # 4561

Bah, I was just attacked by the guy right next to me in the solar system. Lost a lot of stuff. So now I'm building two missile launchers as well and I hope I can get a small laser sometime soon.
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

You can be raided by players with less then 5k points, if you have less then 5k of points.
MEC
Member # 2968

I got the two people who applied in.
MEC
Member # 2968

And I have now transferred Founder status from myself to Enigmatic.
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to apply in a minute. I have 4 points, so does that mean someone with 4 thousand points can raid me? Ouch...
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

I searched for "jatraqueros" but nothing came up.
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
search for hatrack
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

did you click on the alliances tab and click join alliance?
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Only if you have a lot of resouces(well they could attack you anyway but they wouldn't get much). But the site that comes up when you click on "help" has alot of good ways to have resouces and only have attack-able when your online.
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

I found it and applied.
MEC
Member # 2968

I let you in.
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Thanks.

Has anybody gotten into space yet?

MEC
Member # 2968

I can release satalites into my own planet's orbit.
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.