FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Conquer the Galaxy with me! (strategy game) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Conquer the Galaxy with me! (strategy game)
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job MEC. You should be our permanent UN ambassador. [Wink]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see any real disadvantages to having a smaller alliance--what if we get a spy?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Spying is a valid concern but I don't think you have to worry about that until much later in the game when we are stronger players.

Players are limited to one account per IP address. I doubt people would take the trouble to join our alliance just for the sake of spying on us.

In the future, however, when we are thinking of coordinating an attack against another alliance, we SHOULD temporarily suspend the addition of new members in case they are spies.

I think another advantage of having a larger alliance is that it makes people think twice about attacking you.

Speaking of spying, we really need Kama to help us scope out the Polish alliance. [Wink]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
sounds good. Someone needs to be paranoid, and that someone may as well be me.

Can we at least limit membership to people who know who OSC is?

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

A simple quiz like "speak friend and enter" type of deal? [Smile]

The enemy's gate is:

A. Up
B. Down
C. White
D. Guarded by werewolves
E. Are you sure you don't want to pick down?
F. Seriously, do you want to join this alliance or not?

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

sounds good. [Smile]
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I would prefer:

The enemy's ____ is down:

A. Pants
B. Zipper
C. Gate
D. Mood
E. Stock Index
F. Duckling Feather

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's a good idea.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a pending member...he says he saw our message at clutch fans.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Yeah, he is friend from another forum. I accepted his application, I hope that's ok. [Wink]

I talked about the game at another forum earlier this morning. But I have deleted my post there after seeing sarcasticmuppet's suggestion that we should limit our members to OSC fans.

I think we should get more than enough fans from Hatrack and MEC's post on ogame's official forum. [Smile]

I'm at a crossroads and need some advice. I'm not sure if I should actively pursue starflight and become a raider or focus on building more mines and be a peaceful miner. What do you think?

My current stats:

Metal 8
Crystal 8
Deuterium 6
Solar 10
Robot factory 2
Research Lab 1
Shipyard 2

Technology researched: 0
Weapons developed: 0
Ships built: 0
Missle launcher: Thinking about building one.

[ May 30, 2005, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

Does anyone else get to pages which are totally inundated with pop-ups? I have a blocker but it totally incapacitates me on that page until I go away from it and come back.

Is there anyway I can prevent that?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no problem with accepting other players. A good safety rule would be don't promote anyone to jatraquero except for people that we know actually are jatraqueroes.

Another suggestion on limiting your resource stockpile, apart from the sending them in a slow transport trick: Spend it. (Duh, I know.) But what I'm doing is keeping my production ratios fairly close to the ratio needed for building things, and then if one resource does get too high, build something that uses primarily that while waiting for others to catch up. If metal is very high, I build missle lauchers. If crystal or deuterium is too high I do research. Just a tip for before you have actual cargo ships.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Good tips and good suggestion Enigmatic. Thanks. [Smile]

Teshi, I get no pop ups with Firefox. Which browser are you using?

Teshi
Member # 5024

*cough*

Internet Explorer.

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Beren: At the minimum I'd build a missle launcher or two even if you have no plans to raid anyone. Peaceful miners are good targets: they don't raid back.

I'd say either way you decide to go you can build some more mines for the time being. The smallest fighter ship is 3000 metal/1000 crystal, so you need a lot of production to make a decent raider fleet.

--Enigmatic
(realizes this is the longest thread he's started by far)

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Try Firefox Teshi! Once you have tasted the paradise that is tabbed browsing, you'll never go back! [Wink]

Thanks Enigmatic. More mines sound like a good idea. I guess I'm just feeling a bit impatient.

"realizes this is the longest thread he's started by far"

Oh, it is going to get SO much longer. [Wink]

Teshi
Member # 5024

I resisted Firefox for this long, but now I have given in. *uses Firefox*
Peter Howell
Member # 8072

- posted      Profile for Peter Howell           Edit/Delete Post 
*shudders at the thought of not using firefox*

I'll join in too... this game appears to be similar to one I played a while back called imperial conflict.

Name: Blue Sun
Planet: Arial (I'll probably change this)

On a somewhat unreleated matter... I'm surprised to see so many Firefly fans on here... how many of you watched the show before OSC reviewed it?

Posts: 70 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC reviewed it?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Welcome to the game. Search for "hatrack" on your alliance tab to apply to the alliance. For some reason the search seems to go off the tag, not the name.

On firefly: In terms of strict chronology, I couldn't answer. I have no idea when OSC reviewed it. Hence I watched it before I read OSC's review or was aware that he reviewed it, which is probably more like what you meant. I didn't watch it when it was actually on tv, though. Joss Whedon fans made me watch the DVDs.

--Enigmatic

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I registered for the game either Friday night or Saturday, can't remember which.

Name: Noemon
Planet: Noemonia

Peter, most of us who've watched it did so before Card reviewed it, I think. No surprise, really, that so many of us like it though; it's good character driven SF, and this is the site of an author primarily known for writing good character driven SF.

[ May 31, 2005, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
This alliance is getting pretty big. Does it only consist of members of Hatrack still or are there other people? Also, my missile launcher is almost finished building, will it automatically provide defense for my planet or will I have to activate it if someone attacks me?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I should do it automaticly, I built one for myself a little while back.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Can buildings get damaged in an attack?
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
We should definitely restrict entrants. In fact, I wouldn't have added "Vampire", since we have no clue who he is. I think the rule should be that if they don't post in this thread, they shouldn't be added.

Question: I am maxed out on energy usage right now. Should I get robots or another level in my solar plant first?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
My stats:
Metal: 6
Crystal: 7
Deuterium: 4
Solar: 9
Robot factory 2
Research Lab 1
Shipyard 2

Technology researched:
Combustion Engine (Level 1 )
Energy Technology (Level 1 )

Weapons developed: 0

Ships built: 0

Missle launcher: 1

Any advice on what I should do?

Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inspired
Member # 8130

- posted      Profile for Inspired   Email Inspired         Edit/Delete Post 
I've played a few of these games too [Wink]

Name: Excaliver
Planet: Omakron

Posts: 34 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

get Combustion 2 and you can get transport ships. I'd also build up Deuterium--I have a level 6 synth and I think it could still use some speed.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I have applied to the alliance.

And built more robots. [Smile]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

No I don't think buildings themselves can get damaged, your defence weapons can though.

As to Vampire, don't like it. He says he plays on ogame.de and on ogame.org but thats againest the rules.

Whats your plants level and whats your robots level?

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Thanks for the answer Vasslia Cora.

Vampire did not pass Dan's awesome test. How did he get in?

Sarcasticmuppet, do you already have starflight? Yay, wtg! [Smile]

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

Instead of trying to recruit members we aren't sure about, we should think about creating alliances with other alliance. Esp. ones that could potentially harm/help us.

For example: I know there's a member of another alliance (called CH4) right next door to me that we could consider having a non-aggression pact with. Especially since he's the only "strong player" in my system [Angst] .

Stuff like that--I think other people might have more pressing need than me.

Beren: I'm not quite there yet--I do have the capability for a light fighter, but I'm waiting a bit until I can upgrade enough for the transport ship. In the meantime, I've built ahead of my energy needs, so I'm waiting to upgrade my plant.

Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
I'm surprised to see so many Firefly fans on here... how many of you watched the show before OSC reviewed it?
I was forcibly introduced. Now I'm on a crusade to forcibly introduce others.

[Evil]

Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

I also think that we shouldn't forget Vadon has an alliance too. Plus he has been playing longer then most of us, if not all of us.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

Me too! I successfully converted my mom. [Smile]
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
*Is drumming his fingers impatiantly, having to wait about 11 more hours to finally get the amount of resources he would have had yesterdaymorning.*

Heh, I should check out your thread.

You know with how big your alliance could become, you have a good chance of becoming quite powerful.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Vadon, do you fleet save you resouces?
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

That's a good idea sarcasticmuppet. We can have non-agression pacts with other alliances. [Smile]

When we get more powerful, we can splinter off and form new alliances as a sub branch of our main alliance. OK, I have now officially given too much thought to this game....

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
So how do I build ships? I have a shipyard, and I have enough resources for either a satellite or a light fighter, they show up in my shipyard menu, but I can't find a "build" button.

<--- Is obviously an ignoramus

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Well a quick summary, I had sent out both cargo ships out with the metal I sent you and Bob, so I had no defenses when I was attacked. I wasn't be the brightest little ruler of a planet and I had not built any sort of defenses, so then a fleet comes and easily shoots me down and takes away almost all my resources and puts debris out.

I actually just looked again at it and um... It actually will only take about two hours... yay!

Beren, you think that's bad? I already made a freewebs website, made a logo, written up a complete policy, and have made a forum for the UIPC. THAT is taking it too far.

(Edit: Yeah, that's always a good thing.)

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Sorry, I let vampire in without doing the test. Mainly because he said he's played the german version of the game, which has been around longer so he's likely to know what he's doing. If there's consensus on not allowing non-OSC fans/hatrackers, I can kick him and explain it. Up to you all.

--Enigmatic

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Well, at least you were able to save your cargo ships. [Smile]
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Dkw, it took me a bit to figure building out too. You put a number in the field to the right of the ship (defaults to 0) and click "send" at the bottom. Unlike buildings, you can actually queue up ships. Same for the Defense tab.
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Yes but he doesn't get them back.

DKW: Next to the ship you want to build is a writing are with a 0 in it just delete the 0 and add whatever number of units you want to build and hit send at the bottom.

Vadon: The cargo ships wouldn't have help much depending on what ships they had. But 2 large cargo ships will take enough resouces for a colony ship, so if you build them and send them on a fleet save to an empty planet to "spy" by the time they get back you'll have all you need to build a colony ship.

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

"Mainly because he said he's played the german version of the game, which has been around longer so he's likely to know what he's doing."

Imagine his disappointment when he figures out we are all under 1k points. [Smile]

Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Well, you can queue buildings but you have to pay the $4s to do it.
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, this is so annoying, I have about 2,000 crystals and under 500 metal and deut...And I accidently clicked to upgrade energy research to level 2 which I don't even need. Now I have to wait a billion years to get enough deut to do anything that requires alot of crystals...This is frustrating. But fun.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Don't you get your resouces back if you cancel the upgrade?
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GaalD:
Ugh, this is so annoying, I have about 2,000 crystals and under 500 metal and deut...And I accidently clicked to upgrade energy research to level 2 which I don't even need. Now I have to wait a billion years to get enough deut to do anything that requires alot of crystals...This is frustrating. But fun.

Plus, once you hit energy tech 3 and duet synthesizer 5, you can get fusion plants. They burn a little bit of duet every hour but they produce a LOT of energy. I can't build them yet, but I bet they would be a good suppliment energy-wise once your solar plants get to be high level.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Agh, I hate metal! I get 318 each hour but it just not enough, I need to upgrade my deut synth but I have to wait for my metal.
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.