FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Official Spoilerific Harry Potter VI Discussion Thread (Page 1)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  14  15  16   
Author Topic: The Official Spoilerific Harry Potter VI Discussion Thread
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
***WARNING: Spoilers Contained Herein. Curiosity is not a sin, but one must exercise caution.***

I wanted to instigate this thread like nobody's business and was too impatient to do it in seven days' time. I will, however, post the first spoiler: This link to the Mary GrandPre' back cover art for HPB.

First off--Initial feeling upon seeing it: Green. Greengreengreen. Like the last one was Blue, blueblueblue. I like it though. It's a bit forboding, nothing like the warm tones of the earlier covers. I also like how the children are looking more and more adults. Ickle Ronniekins is growing up... [Cry]

Second--Things I am sure about: The picture, to me, unmistakenly shows Ron, Hermione, Ginny (there is a possibility I'm wrong about Ginny but I really don't think so), the Dark Mark, and Hogwarts Castle. They look vaguely surprised and frightened (I like Ron's look of "I'm rather frightened but I'm not gonna show it" kind of resolve). There is a figure to the left of Ron that I don't recognize.

Third--Things I'm making up as I go: Green is the color the Avada Kedavra curse gives off, and the Dark Mark was always sent off over the homes of the Death Eater's latest victims. The Mark seems to be shining over Hogwarts Castle, possibly pointing to a battle at the school, which up to Voldemort's downfall had been the only safe place in the wizarding world, according to Hagrid. The figure to Ron's left looks female to me, possibly Luna or a new character. There are also shadows of somethings behind Ginny, possibly other people.

Someone also pointed out to me that if you look along the right side of the cover, you can make out the outline of a cloaked someone riding a broomstick away from the Mark.

----

I'm not so high on myself that I think I'll be the first one to finish it, but I will definetely bump this thread by next Saturday night. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet i'll be the first one to finish.
I'll be devouring that sucker.
I cannot wait until NEXT WEEK
ARG. A WHOLE ENTIRE WEEEEEEEEK! NO!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
The local newspaper here had a thing going where people could send in guesses as to who the Half-Blood Prince is and other plot-type guesses. They're going to publish some of the entries after the book comes out. "Who?" honestly wasn't something I'd thought about before, but as soon as the question was asked I almost reflexively had an answer. I'll post here under the SPOILER label because I feel fairly confident in my answer on this one, and I'd like to go on record with hatrack.
Potential Spoiler Below
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
If the Half-Blood Prince is any character we've already met, my money is on Hagrid. He's half-giant. We know his mother was a powerful giantess, could conceivably be a queen of the giants. He's been gone on important missions to the giants, and the outcome of these missions hasn't been revealed yet. Anyone have a better guess?
</spoiler>

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay.... my guess is......
spoiler space
spoiler space
spoiler space
spoiler space
spoiler space
spoiler space
spoiler space
spoiler space
spoiler space
spoiler space
spoiler space

Lupin. I don't know why, but a few weeks back it kinda hit me that maybe he's the Half-blood Prince. Than again it could be just that I am obsessed with him and my favorite fanfic is one where Prisoner is done entirely in his POV. (The only part I didn't like of that one was when the author decided to interject some of their own fanfic characters from a separate story, but it was only one chapter and half a paragraph somewhere else.) Or maybe it was a delusion of someone about to fall asleep at 4 AM.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
It is SO obviously Trevor the toad. Or Seamus.

I can't wait for the book. I'm trying to read as much of the preceding ones as possible before next week, as I'm starting my intesive summer class, and I love them even more now than I did before.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm anticipate this book with a feeling of dread. Literally. Writing this I have a nasty cold feeling in the pit of my stomach. I have prickles up and down my arms.

If I'm like this now before book six, am I even going to be able to pick up book seven!? How does one finish a series that has been a large part of half of one's life?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Four days, 13 hours, fifteenish minutes until I can get my HP6! I think they should release worldwide as soon as it becomes Saturday in the UK. Then I could get it even earlier.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
So it comes out at 7.01 am here.

And I have a dinner party to cook for that night...

I can read it by then!

[Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with the folks who think that Hagrid is the HBP!
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still not convinced that it will be someone we know. If it's someone we know, my money's on Hagrid. But I'm guessing it will be someone new.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read any of the books since 5 came out, so I may be wrong about this, but wasn't Harry's mother a first-generation witch (as in all of her parents had been muggles), while his father was from a wizard family. If you go by the whole "pure blood" / "mud blood" thing, wouldn't this mean that Harry is half "mud blood" (well once removed, but still) and half "pure blood" making him a half-blood?

For that matter, could it be Voldermort himself? I'm not sure how either would qualify for the prince aspect, but it could be one of those things that nobody has told Harry (like his god-father's identity until the third book, his true identity until the first book, etc.). I also don't recall knowing much about Voldermort's lineage, though I may have just forgotten.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uru
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for Uru           Edit/Delete Post 
Half Blood Prince

half blooded tom riddle = _Lord_ Voldemort...

Half blood and royalty...

just my guess

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Rowling has officially stated that the prince is neither Harry nor Voldemort, FYI.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it's not Hagrid. I think he's an incredibly tedious character, I don't want to read a book that is all about him.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone dies in the next book!!!

quote:
"I know who dies," Jim Dale tells CBS News correspondent Mika Brzezinski. He is the one who reads the Potter series for audiobooks.

But don't expect any revelations from him. Dale says he's guarding all the secrets of book 6, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," to protect the magic for children.

"The worst thing is if somebody leaks it to them," he says, "because then goes the great excitement of finding out for themselves."

I'm worried about the future of Lupin. I have a feeling that none of the marauders are going to live through book VII. First James, then Sirius...Lupin's days are numbered.

though I did hear a fairly convincing argument that Lupin would die a natural death--I mean, he's always described as prematurely aged and sickly because he's a werewolf.

Either way, Lupin dying would make me so sad. [Cry]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ailurophobic
Member # 8343

- posted      Profile for ailurophobic   Email ailurophobic         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Lupin's going to be killed by Wormtail's silver hand. You know, the whole werewolf + silver thing.

Also, I think the HBP is someone we've already met. Possibly Dean Thomas, because Rowling said that there was going to be stuff about the HBP in Book 2-- but then she took it out. We've also been told that she inserted Dean's story.. but then took it out.

Obscure and probably useless, but still there.

Posts: 71 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

That someone dies in this book has been public for some time. Even in interviews much earlier in the series Rowling has mentioned that towards the end there's more dark elements and deaths of important, beloved characters that would make her sad to write. Thank you for the link, though, because I love the Jim Dale audiobooks and it's neat to read about how he works!

--Enigmatic

Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
This doesn't really belong in this thread, or the other HP one, but seeing as I thought 3 Harry threads would be too much, I'm posting this here.

Harry Potter 6 leaks in Canuck Town

They really want no one to know about that book eh?

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

*bump* for the three days, two and a half-ish hour warning on the east coast.
RoyHobbs
Member # 7594

- posted      Profile for RoyHobbs   Email RoyHobbs         Edit/Delete Post 
*SPOILER*

I read that betting organizations have received a flurry of bets from the British town where HP6 is being published.

The townspeople are overwhelmingly voting that the character to die in the book will be....

*draws in breath*

DUMBLEDORE!!

Yes, we all knew it had to happen some time, but I think this is more than a rumor, its a guarantee from people "in the know".

Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

I still don't think he'll die until book 7 (though possibly very early on in the book).
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

Yeah, but his father spends just as much time "railing against mudbloods," so it's no likely he'd have married one, is it? JKR also said that because his father's been put away, we'll be seeing a bit more of Draco's dear old mum.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I said this in the other thread, but in book 2 Rowling discussed how Hagrid was kicked out of Hogwarts, for that reason, I'm guessing that he will be the half blood prince, wasn't his father a wizard, and his mother a giant?

I am guessing that the half blood prince will be the same as the person who dies. Our best guesses for who it could be (I'm leaving out harry or voldemort/riddle because she has openly said it wasn't):
Dumbledore, but in my oppinion it would work better for him to die in the 7th book
Hagrid, it really would make sense, though she might want to keep him through the last book, since he was the first wizardish person harry met.
Dean Thomas, hmm it just doesn't do it for me.
Draco, we know his mom is a pureblood, but there's little info on his dad other than he's a dumb@$$, so it's possible.

I read somewhere that in one of the last two books, someone becomes able to practice magic late in their life. My guesses on that one:
Filch, but that wouldn't be fun, he shouldn't be developed
the cat lady (ok my brain broke) that lives near the dursleys, also not that fun to develop
Aunt Petunia, see it would make entire sense, even if she isn't a witch, or a squib, she has been said to be "something close"
Hagrid, but he already can

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

I'm kind of curious about the Creevies. Is it normal for there to be two muggle born wizards in the same family?
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

There must be something in the water. I imagine it's pretty rare for that to happen, unless they had a relative they didn't know about.
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys got it all wrong... Prince William is the half blood prince. (Diana was a witch.)

Just kidding, if you really want to know who he is, just scroll down.
SPOILER!!!
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
Don't ask me how I found out (If I told you, I'd have to kill you.) but I couldn't keep this quiet until Saturday, so I thought everyone here should know right now that Mr. Card will be revealed as the Half-Blood Prince.

Jesse

/very bored right now

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry's cousin Dudley. He suddenly has wizardly abilities, which makes his parents think that it's all wonderful, and Harry has to put up with him at Hogwarts.

(could I come up with a more outrageous guess?)

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

quote:
It is the middle of the summer, but there is an unseasonal mist pressing against the windowpanes. Harry Potter is waiting nervously in his bedroom at the Dursleys' house in Privet Drive for a visit from Professor Dumbledore himself. One of the last times he saw the Headmaster was in a fierce one-to-one duel with Lord Voldemort, and Harry can't quite believe that Professor Dumbledore will actually appear at the Dursleys' of all places. Why is the Professor coming to visit him now? What is it that cannot wait until Harry returns to Hogwarts in a few weeks' time? Harry's sixth year at Hogwarts has already got off to an unusual start, as the worlds of Muggle and magic start to intertwine..
*link*

first off, SQUEEEEE!!!

I wonder if this means Harry's not going to go back to school. It sounds a bit ominous. Or it could mean Dumbly has something to say not to Harry but to the Dursleys. hmmmm...

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sarcasticmuppet:
quote:
It is the middle of the summer, but there is an unseasonal mist pressing against the windowpanes. Harry Potter is waiting nervously in his bedroom at the Dursleys' house in Privet Drive for a visit from Professor Dumbledore himself. One of the last times he saw the Headmaster was in a fierce one-to-one duel with Lord Voldemort, and Harry can't quite believe that Professor Dumbledore will actually appear at the Dursleys' of all places. Why is the Professor coming to visit him now? What is it that cannot wait until Harry returns to Hogwarts in a few weeks' time? Harry's sixth year at Hogwarts has already got off to an unusual start, as the worlds of Muggle and magic start to intertwine..
*link*

first off, SQUEEEEE!!!

I wonder if this means Harry's not going to go back to school. It sounds a bit ominous. Or it could mean Dumbly has something to say not to Harry but to the Dursleys. hmmmm...

*Moan of longing*

At least I have about 3 places near me I can try to get the new HP and also Boston...
I so hope I can get it tomorrow night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by sarcasticmuppet:
quote:
*link*

first off, SQUEEEEE!!!

*Moan of longing*

At least I have about 3 places near me I can try to get the new HP and also Boston...
I so hope I can get it tomorrow night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't be able to read it until Sunday. I'll be out of town during the day on Sat...and I work until around 1:00am Sat night. At least I don't work Sunday, so I can devote the entire afternoon and evening to reading Harry Potter.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth Ender
Member # 7694

- posted      Profile for Darth Ender           Edit/Delete Post 
Spoiler - Harry will turn to the dark side.
Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
*twitches*

24.5 hours until I have Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince in my hands!!!!!

*freakingoutfreakingoutfreakingoutfreakingout*

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by hansenj:
*twitches*

24.5 hours until I have Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince in my hands!!!!!

*freakingoutfreakingoutfreakingoutfreakingout*

Me too..
I don't know what I'll do if I can't get my hands on that book Saturday.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

quote:
So how DO the members of the Order of the Phoenix communicate with each other?

I was surprised that this particular question won the poll, because the answer (as I've already said) can be found in an already-published book (Goblet of Fire), whereas the other two questions related to book six. But perhaps I was influenced by the fact that I knew the other two questions had interesting answers – and, of course, you will shortly know the answers to those questions anyway!

Members of the Order use their Patronuses to communicate with each other. They are the only wizards who know how to use their spirit guardians in this way and they have been taught to do so by Dumbledore (he invented this method of communication). The Patronus is an immensely efficient messenger for several reasons: it is an anti-Dark Arts device, which makes it highly resilient to interference from Dark wizards; it is not hindered by physical barriers; each Patronus is unique and distinctive, so that there is never any doubt which Order member has sent it; nobody else can conjure another person's Patronus, so there is no danger of false messages being passed between Order members; nothing conspicuous needs to be carried by the Order member to create a Patronus.

And, as many of you have deduced, Dumbledore's Patronus is indeed a phoenix.

That means Snape can produce a Patronus. I wonder what it looks like...
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

quote:
I was surprised that this particular question won the poll, because the answer (as I've already said) can be found in an already-published book (Goblet of Fire), whereas the other two questions related to book six.
Where was that answered in GoF?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*sobs* I don't get mine until Saturday.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

9 and a half hours! I'm definitely going at Midnight. My mom may too, but she has to work tomorrow. If I go with her we'll go to Borders where she can get them on CD (or tape, she hasn't decided which yet) and the books would cost like, two dollars less. If she opts to go to bed instead, I'll probably just go to Stop and Shop because it's closer and I want to read it ASAP.

I'm so excited!!!

ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
9 hours and ten minutes. I will also go at midnight.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the last time I'm reading this thread until I finish reading it...it's getting too close to midnight in London. [Wink] (That and I'm going to go take a nap so I can stay up all night reading.)

9 hours and 38 minutes for me!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
I just heard a TERRIBLE, yet very funny joke from a friend: Yeah, but when does Harry Potter Emacs go on sale? I hear it's 150 times better than Harry Potter VI.

Jesse

/VI is infinitely better than Emacs

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

Just over three hours for me! I'm not sure I'll be able to stay up all night, but maybe the excitement will keep me awake once I actually start reading it.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

Best. Photo. Ever. [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

3 hours
Cannot wait this long
Plus I might not be able to get it until tomorrow if I can't get it at midnight.
Or worse...
NEXT WEEK #%$%$#%#

Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Warning: I doubt any of you do, but if you happen to read www.luelinks.net, DO NOT GO THERE TODAY . Someone got ahold of a copy of the book, and massive spoilers are posted all over the site, including some actual scans of the pages. I haven't been to the site today, but my roommate warned me about it. If you visit the site, huge spoilers will pop up on the home page.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Two hours and nineteen minutes. I'm too old to be this excited.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

I can't sit still. I'd been rereading the rest of the series, and I finished number five early this afternoon. I'm going through withdrawl after reading nonstop for so long. I wish I lived in Europe, they already have it.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I KNOW!
I just cannot wait this long...
Even though it's only...
2 hours...
One hour till I walk to the supermarket to try to get it...
Agony...
I bet I won't get it too.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I got it
Now I'm going to read it.
Unfortunetly, I am getting a second copy soon so if anyone wants to buy it from me...

Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
*is in London*
*has finished the book about a half hour ago*
*mops tears and stifles curses*

Please someone finish so you can agree with me about the twisty ending. JK Rowling thinks she's so clever, but I am on to her little tricks.

SPOILERS (for real, though, because I actually know how the book ends)

Even though I'm very jealous and really in love with him myself, I'm ever so glad Lupin is a wee bit happy. I knew that was what was plaguing her.

Also, as soon as I heard someone suggest that the Half-Blood Prince was Snape (in line waiting to get the book), I knew it was.

In other news, she needs to stop doing that with Ron.

END SPOILER

So I'm a bit cross.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  14  15  16   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.