FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Official Spoilerific Harry Potter VI Discussion Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  14  15  16   
Author Topic: The Official Spoilerific Harry Potter VI Discussion Thread
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
SNAPE????? is the HBP??????

You're joking! Oh wow!

I just got mine and I decided to read that chapter to find out before I go to sleep. So I jumped ahead. You astonish me!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
With each successive book, I despise Snape more and more. Every time, I think it's not possible for me to hate him more, but really it is. My mum adores him, but I wish he would DIE.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheClone
Member # 6141

- posted      Profile for TheClone   Email TheClone         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is marked spoileres but I'm just going to say it again

****SUPER MASSIVE SPOILERS!!!!*****

I just finished mine (unfortuently, being in the US, I wasn't able to start reading it till like 1 AM EST, it took me a little over six hours... I'm rather embarassed, I was hoping to be under six. No speed reader, I guess.)

Either way, really nice book. I'd already had the bit about AD's death spoiled for me several days ago, and with that, most of the book was rather obvious, but it didn't take away from the experience.

However, someone was outside yelling about the Horcrux being fake, I felt like punching the *explitive* teenagers. Why the hell do kids have to be such... grrr. Honestly, I had completly forgotten about what they were yelling (It sounded like they were yelling We read the last page - the Warcraft is a fake!). But, honestly, just the fact that they would go and stand outside and ruin something that people want to enjoy is downright cruel.

I had two drinks from the Starbucks in Barnes & Noble. I'm in love. [Smile]

Now, who is RAB? I was trying to think or people who had B as their last name, but I keep coming up blank.

And what happened to Colin Creevy did he die in the last book and I have just forgotten about it?

Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished. It was amazingly written. Much better than any of the previous ones, I believe.

SPOILERS

You could see throughout the book that JKR was messing with shipper's minds. It really amused me. I can just hear the wails of despair as various people's ships go up in flames.

I'm really interested to hear what happens with Draco in the next book. And why Dumbledore trusted Snape. Those are the two pressing questions in my mind right now.

[EDIT] Thinking about it more, I'm surprised by how little was revealed in this book. JKR has said that by the end of the 7th book we'll "have all the backstory we need" but right now I'm no where near that point. There are all kinds of things that JKR has said will be revealed that she only has one more book to reveal them in.

I find it depressing that there's only one more left.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

Dumbledore trusted Snape because--I hate so much to say this, because I despise Snape more with each successive book, I really really do--Snape is trustworthy. JK Rowling is doing a really good fake-out, on a William-Goldman-Buttercup-got-married sort of level times a billion. Dumbledore trusted Snape, and I do not think for a second that Snape is really evil (although I'd be thrilled if he were because I hate him).

Because ponder this: If Snape had actually turned up evil, and Dumbledore had just found it out when Snape was about to kill him, there is no way that Dumbledore would ever--ever--beg him not to kill him, especially when he was displaying such magnificent calm with all the other Death Eaters. Can you honestly see Dumbledore begging a Death Eater for mercy? He was asking Snape for something totally else. We just don't know what yet.

By the way, I'm a bit miffed we didn't find out what Harry's parents did, or anything else about their lives or anything about how James turned into a viable human being. I was counting on that, and I'm disappointed now.

I thought the book as a whole was excellent. I think the writing was a bit tighter than the fifth one, even with all the unnecessary adverbs.

Jen

Edit: As to RAB--Could that be Amelia Bones, and Amelia is just her middle name? I can't think of anybody else off the top of my head. Also, do we have any clues about when exactly that message was written?

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished reading the book and was curious about other people's reactions to it. When I first got the book, I randomly opened it towards the end and read 3 words... Unfortunately they were "following Dumbledore's death". Even with that spoiler, I thought this book was the best written (plot-wise) of the series so far. I need to reread it one or two more times before I form an opinion about the dialogue.

One thought that really struck me after reading it, is where *do* Snape's loyalties lie? After all, he did do the Unbreakable curse to keep Draco alive. If Draco had heasitated longer, would one of the other Death Eaters kill him? Was the only option available to him killing Dumbledore?

I'll post more of my thoughts/ideas later. My brain is nicely toasted and ready for a nice nap after reading for 5 hours.

Jesse

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
We got a case of HP6 novels in last week, so I took home a copy last Wednesday. I took my time reading it and was blown away by the last 50 pages or so...

However, I hate to spoil the spoiler, but I have a strange feeling the Dumbledore/Snape relationship has not been fully answered yet, and will be concluded in book 7. Basically, I think we have been hoodwinked with Dumbledore's demise, but that is a guess on my part.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Or, I am just in denial.
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

I did the same thing, checking the back of the book just briefly, and the only words I saw involved Dumbledore's death. But I am fairly positive that Snape's loyalties were with Dumbledore, because I still trust Dumbledore to know what's what with people. I also may just be trying very hard to be fair to Snape because of how much I dislike him. I mean, if Snape hadn't killed Dumbledore, someone would have, and Malfoy and Snape would have been killed after that as well. It's very bewildering.

Jen

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Alucard, I would be very happy if you were right, but I can't bring myself to believe it.

SPOILERS for both HBP and A Song of Fire and Ice

Of course, I was completely unspoiled, so the death took me utterly by surprise. I'm still twitching. Unlike a lot of fans, I've never particularly cared for Snape, so I wasn't totally surprised or disturbed. I guess it's rather like my reactions to the deaths of Ned and Robb in A Song of Fire and Ice--something along the lines of, "Hey, that character is a main, very important, good character! Why did he just DIE?!"

*sigh* *twitch*

Ok.

I have to ponder this for a while.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

OK, this is just wild rambling, but here goes my theory: WARNING Spoilers...

Dumbledore and Harry were discussing the Horcruxes of Voldemort, and Dumbledore mentioned that he believed that Voldy used his snake, Nagini as a Horcrux.

So what if Dumbledore used Fawkes, his Phoenix as a Horcrux? I know that would be way out there as far as the type of magic that Dumbledore uses, but it is a possibility.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished. I wasn't surprised by the ending (see below) but-

I have never burst into tears before in my adult life... I guess that says something about my life, but also about the book. I knew it was going to happen from the very first scenes, though, however much I hoped it wasn't. I also knew who the Half-Blood Prince was. I was lying in bed at three this morning, and it just sprang into my mind- clear and complete. From that first chapter it was clear to me.

I also think there is more behind Snape than what we are seeing. I'd like to believe there is something more.

- Yes, so I'm crying right now.

spoilers:

EDIT: Exactly who would Dumbledore murder, Alucard? He's gone- it was inevitable. Harry had to be on his own...

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

True, True. I forgot about the murder part. (I just had a Ron Weasley moment). I've often found Dumbledore to be such a terrific counterpoint to the power of Voldemort specifically in the way he used his magic to counteract Voldy's. Is it possible he essentially used Fawkes the way Voldy used Nagini without having to murder anyone?

Maybe the attack on Dumbly by Snape was a ruse somehow???

I dunno. I just felt numb when I read the end, and am still quite in denial.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

Fyfe- I thought so, too. Or at least, I hope so a lot and I trust Dumbledore. I still want to know why Dumbledore trusted him. However, the next book seems to be shaping up to be the Lily and James book, in the same way this one was the Voldemort one. So I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of Snape in it.

Did anyone else pick up on Harry not returning to Hogwarts next year? I wonder what that'll be like.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

Here is a strange site that is already speculating book 7...

http://www.theorderofthephoenix.net/rumors.htm

Alucard...
Member # 4924

I have a question concerning butterbeer. Is this supposed to be non-alcoholic like root beer, or is it more like well, beer?
Fyfe
Member # 937

I was rereading the book, also--yes, I really have read the book twice already; I'm having a bad weekend and have required cheering up by means of excellent book--and I had forgotten about the bit where Hagrid overhears Dumbledore and Snape arguing. And I think that part's rather telling. I mean, when I read it, I assumed that it meant that Snape was sick of his double life, and Dumbledore was telling him that that was just too bad.

But really, it seems very unlikely that Dumbledore would tell someone that he HAD to continue working in a highly dangerous capacity for the Order. However, it seems exceedingly likely--and we see Dumbledore doing it with Harry--that Dumbledore knew Snape was going to have to kill him, to save [insert name here; Malfoy perhaps, since it's perfectly in character for Dumbledore to sacrifice himself for one of his students, even a dreadful one], and he was telling Snape he had to do it.

Thoughts on that? I think it's a fairly good theory, the only question being how Dumbledore knew it would be necessary, and why it was necessary, for him to die.

Jen

TheClone
Member # 6141

- posted      Profile for TheClone   Email TheClone         Edit/Delete Post 
There's always that whole "Ron is Dumbledore," theory.

http://www.knight2king.net/Knight2King/weasleyisourking.html#4

Also on there is the 7 moves = 7 years theory. Ron ends up sacrificing himself. If you want to believe Ron = Dumbledore, that could fit in with the sacrifice, setting Harry up to take Voldemort.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
RAB = Regelus Black???
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

My mum thought of Regulus Black too! And we both feel justified about the theory she came up with ages ago that Snape was in love with Lily. Duh. Everything fits if Snape was in love with Lily--her being so good at Potions, his hating of Harry (because of seeing his beloved one's eyes set in the face of his worst enemy, etc etc), why Dumbledore believes (*sob* believed) Snape about his repentance. That's clearly the reason Dumbledore believed him. Clearly. I like this theory a lot.

Jen

Teshi
Member # 5024

That's what I've been reading, Dagonee. Seems to be tge general theory at the moment.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I am 100% certain that Snape killed Dumbledore at the latter's request. Snape was clearly madly in love with Lily Potter, and was fully repentant for her death; moreover, it's very obvious in this book that while he's bound by oath to the Malfoys, he's just as capable of working around that oath when necessary.

I'm pleased to say, actually, that all but one of my predictions were accurate. *preens*

------

The phoenix on the tomb was an interesting symbol, and it DOES make me wonder whether Dumbledore somehow used his phoenix to power a version of the same power that's been keeping Voldemort alive. But that'd be cheating, and I personally think Rowling will keep Dumbledore dead (since she's otherwise been hewing close to the Joseph Campbell formula), although perhaps able to communicate with Harry from beyond the grave somehow.

-------

I hadn't considered Regulus Black, but now that I hear it, it sounds perfect. Rowling has a way of writing characters into books BEFORE the big reveal, so I'm confident that it's a character we've met or heard of before.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't necessarily think Snape betrayed Dumbledore, but I do think Dumbledore's dead,not faking.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished it about a half hour ago.

Wow. Just...wow.

The first thing I thought after seeing RAB was Regulus or Rastaban Black.

I think you're right, Tom. I still can't believe that Snape would betray Dumbledore. Especially during Harry's fight with him-- he never hurt Harry. And the "DO NOT CALL ME A COWARD!"...oh man. Snape did it at Dumbly's request, and it's eating him up inside.

*cries for Dumbledore* [Cry] [Cry] [Cry]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

Don't forget the portrait in the Headmaster/Headmistress' office. Dumbledore can communicate with anyone at all there...

I was just hoping for some way to see Dumbledore come back for one more assist in Harry's final battle with Voldemort. I hope the sword of Griffindor comes into play also...

Alucard...
Member # 4924

I would also like to say that if Snape did indeed kill Dumbledore, it was not to benefit the Death Eaters and Voldemort, but to somehow help Harry and Dumbledore himself.

The whole corny Jedi transformation at death (Obi Wan, Yoda, Anakin, and Quai Gon) comes to mind.

Did Dumbledore transcend to a form more powerful than a human could achieve while alive?

Do we all?

Who knows?

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]

Just finished it.
That's what I was thinking TomDavidson. The look of hatred could have been because Snape was forced to kill Dumbledore and didn't want to.
As evil as Snape is, I'd like to see some good in him.
Also, Dumbledore didn't really fear dying. He said so in the 5th book that death isn't the worse thing.
Plus, I don't think Snape or Dumbledore could have beared Malfoy becoming a murderer and having his soul broken. So, Dumbledore could have ordered Snape to do it...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
To the well organized mind...

*can't finish* [Cry]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

What was also sad was Harry putting his feelings for Ginny on hold. That was very noble and tragic of them both...
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

I don't think Ginny's gonna let it happen. I'm strongly reminded of one of Petra's lines in the Beanverse--something like, "bad things don't happen to the people you love until you leave".
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Exactly. This is why Dumbledore could not have been pleading at the very end... this quote is very important. It's just all wrong that Dumbledore would be afraid at the end. Something's up.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
quote:
Exactly. This is why Dumbledore could not have been pleading at the very end... this quote is very important. It's just all wrong that Dumbledore would be afraid at the end. Something's up.
I doubt he was afraid.. Perhaps he was pleading to Snape to get on with it.
So sad.
Heartbreaking.
Dang, that book was good.
*Rereads*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could reread the book. Unfortunately, all 4 other members of my family have to read it first.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
I always wait till the books come out in paperback before I read them. However, I'm really not one for suspense. So, could someone fill me in on the important part, also known as the romance? Is Harry in love these days? What about Ron and Hermione? Any other couples?
Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Ron/Hermione after a bout of Ron/Lavender

Harry/Ginny with some Harry/Luna thrown in to throw off the fans

Tonks/Remus

Bill/Fleur

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

One of the few things I didn't like was how Ron and Hermione beat about the bush trying to make each other jealous.
It's obvious that they adore each other.
And Harry fell for Ginny which I thought was a bit sudden, but ah, well. Ginny's kind of cool.

Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
So, do we want Harry and Ginny together in the end, or what?
Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

There was much snogging to be had overall.

edit: I have to say I loved Fluer--"I am preetty enough for ze two of us!"
* [ROFL] s in the midst of [Cry] s*

also: I was a Harry/Hermione shipper for quite a while, but that ship was Crucio'd before my eyes.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Part of me doesn't think we've seen the last of Dumbledore. After all, the flames on his bier, the phoenix Harry thought he saw... Could he be pulling a Gandalf on us? It's entirely likely.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Dumbledore is dead, I'm certain but I agree with Tom.

I think he was dying, and there was no saving him from whatever potion he drank

He knew he had to die, he knew Snape wouldn't want to be the one to kill him, but he asked Severus to do it in order to protect Severus' cover.

I just....can't stand it.

*sobs*

Good for Remus and Tonks though. *sigh*

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to know why Dumbledore didn't wake up and say something when he was in the portrait in the Headmistress's office. They were clearly trying to follow through on his wishes, why couldn't he speak up?
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sarcasticmuppet:
I was a Harry/Hermione shipper for quite a while, but that ship was Crucio'd before my eyes.

I love the wording of that somehow. I don't think Ron and Hermione are quite together yet. Probably by the beginning of the next book, but they still seemed to be beating around the book quite a bit.

(I finished the book a few hours ago, and I got to go see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Two things I've been looking forward to for ages, in one great day! The movie was hilarious by the way; I strongly recommend it.)

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

Okay, I know I could easily put all of these in one longer post, but my brain isn't working logically after being awake so long so I post as I think....

Somewhere around chapter 12 I was thinking, "Why is Harry being so dim? Get off of this Malfoy fix. You used to do that with Snape and you were always wrong. There are other horrible people out there."

Of course, I was wrong. From chapter two on I was trying to figure out which side Snape was actually on. He did seem quite reluctant to agree to the Unbreakable Vow.... He, Dumbledore, and Voldemort are (were, are) the three greatest Legilimenses in the wizarding world. Could one of them really trick one or both of the others?

And did Snape really know what Malfoy's task was when he took that vow? He said he knew, but for some reason I thought he was bluffing when I read it. Throughout the whole book I thought Malfoy's task was to kill Harry, not Dumbledore.

kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that Harry's oath to Dumbledore was eerily reminicent of Snape's vow to help Malfoy.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

Why couldn't his hand heal?
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

Must go to bed. I've been up far too long. Must sleep. But what to read now? (I've had a growing stack of books on my desk while I've reread the series in anticipation of book six.)
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't read it for months, but I wondered what someone meant about Harry not returning to Hogwarts?
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

He's not going to go back to Hogwarts.
He's going to first return to the Dursleys for the last time.
Then he will go to the home of his parents and then take on Voldermort with Ron and Hermione at his side.
Hermione must really love him to quite schooling for him.

GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
*Spoilers*

Just finished it like ten minutes ago...I figured Dumbledore would die in this book or the next but it was still sad. I think when Dumbledore was pleading with Snape in the end he was pleading with him to kill him. It's the kind of twist that's JKR's style, I think. I thought she paced it differently in this book though. The beginning and middle were kind of slow and more detailed while the ending was just like...an explosion of a million things happening at once. This book was definitely written differently than the earlier ones, IMO.

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished it yesterday - got it in the morning, went to lunch *and* hosted a dinner party but still finished it.

Made Tony do the cleaning though, so I could read in peace. [Razz]

*Gad*

I couldn't believe Snape was evil but when he killed (and with aveda kedavra!) I thought he must be - but I like the "acting on Dumbledore's orders" theory. It makes his insistence that he is not a coward more sensical.

I hope so. I don't want him to be evil, not because I like the character particularly, but I don't want Dumbledore to have been so wrong.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  14  15  16   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.