FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 36)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

The ear one is good for reassuring yourself that the baby doesn't actually have a fever.

If the baby DOES actually have a fever, you're going to need to get a rectal temp because it's more accurate, and that's the one the doctors want to have.

BUT they usually give you a thermometer at the hospital, all you'll need to get is covers for it (and make sure you have petroleum jelly, of course.)

I disagree with several things on that list because you're going to get them at the hospital, or won't need them for several months.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(But really, I'm glad you have an ear thermometer because when I was a new mom I ALWAYS thought the baby was hot and I was checking her temp constantly. With the ear thermometer I could reassure myself without even waking her. I shudder to think what I would have subjected her to otherwise.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to look into what the hospital will give you. We came home with formula (the little bottles for breastfeeding moms, I got the big can in the mail free a few weeks before I gave birth), a diaper bag (cheap and I eventually replaced but a lot of women at church use the hospital provided one exclusively), thermometer, nasal aspirator, nail scissors, a receiving blanket and hat, half a bag of diapers- which is good cause you don't know what size your baby will be- if its a big one, he/she might go straight to size one, small might want preemie diapers (even if not preemie they can be small enough for that), and the nurse gave us a pair of socks to use as scratch mittens (bin loved to scratch her face from birth, the nurse apologized profusely when she came back with a little scratch on her face after a nursery trip and then gave us some socks to put on her hands to prevent it from happening again).

So, I would add scratch mittens if you decide on footsie outfits (or socks to use as scratch mittens). I also use the diaper champ and am pretty happy with it.
On registering for clothes, I was told not to bother. I did and I got none of the outfits I registered for. I did however get enough clothes that I could make it until 9 months without buying bin any clothes- of course, I have the only baby girl in the family and am a nice person to buy gifts for (my sister in law has the only boy and criticizes everything she gets- she has actually told people to return things and buy her something different). I, on the other hand, am excited about everything bin gets and take pictures of her wearing it and send the pics to the person who gave the outfit.

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
We used an underarm thermometer. It might not be quite as accurate, but we've never needed it to be.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

Oh- for thermometers- I personally liked the pacifier thermometer. It isn't as official or good, but for a quick guess, it's nice.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto on the "you don't need to buy because the hospital gives it to you" thing, but since I didn't know if all hospitals give out what mine did, I included those things just in case.

You'll probably get:

- a diaper bag (though ours was crap, and the handle fell off after a month or so)
- a pacifier
- a small can of formula (perfect size for emergencies)

You might get more than that, but I definitely did not get to keep receiving blankets or socks or hat from the hospital. You might.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark as night
Member # 9577

- posted      Profile for Dark as night   Email Dark as night         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, KQ, I misunderstood you. Yes, narcotics in the epidural work really well as pain relief without causing side effects to both mom and baby.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We got with our first:

-diapers
-wipes
-pacifier
-thermometer
-diaper bag
-changing pad
-formula samples (both liquid and powdered, in both can and single-serve packets)
-bulb syringe
-hats (2)
-recieving blanket (but not the one they used in the nursery, a "gift" one they gave out for each baby)
-disposable nursing pads
-large disposable absorbent pads (good for diaper changes)
-diaper rash cream sample tube
-lotion sample
-baby wash samples (2)
-insulated bag with ice packs for breastmilk storage/transportation (though I think we used it for that once; great for taking ice pops to the park, though)
-book on breastfeeding put out by the AAP, including chart to keep track of feeding and diapers (which I didn't use, although the diagrams on latch were useful)
-pads for mom (I was still having heavy bleeding, my regular pads weren't doing it)

...as well as all the pamphlets, free offers, new baby fact sheets, etc.

Second baby, different, smaller hospital, I got:

-diapers
-extra-soft small disposable gauze-type pads (which they use instead of wipes, you wet them with water)
-insulated diaper/breastmilk storage/transportation bag with ice packs, this one a bit bigger and more multi-purpose
-large disposable absorbent pads
-bulb syringe
-thermometer
-small sample can of formula
-hat

...and again, the standard pamphlets, offers, etc.

I could have had a paci there, too, but I had discovered the kind I liked best and brought those to the hospital with me, so I didn't need one and they used the ones I brought.

Moms who did not plan on breastfeeding at both hospitals were sent home with larger amounts of formula and usually a bottle or two as well.

A slightly larger hospital in our area gives out baby t-shirts with the name of the hospital, too.

Having been through it twice now, what I've really come to appreciate is what I should BRING to the hospital with me! I think this time I've got the list down pat, at least for my needs and wants. Next time I'm bringing the ring sling, too.

dkw
Member # 3264

You forgot the weird stretchy mesh underwear. Or didn't they have that at your hospital?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

They had that but I was in regular underwear by the time I went home. They do give you that to wear at the hospital but they prefer to have you not bleeding that much when you go home. With Ems, I just doubled pads-- theirs over mine over underwear. With Bridey, they gave me Pitocin after delivery and I was bleeding less than a normal period when I left (actually within a few hours of the birth) and it was done in two weeks (as opposed to three months.) I'm asking for the Pit after delivery again.
dkw
Member # 3264

Yeah, I started wearing my own as soon as possible -- I'd brought a package of cheap cotton briefs that I could throw out if they got ruined, but they packed up the rest of my package of mesh ones with my other stuff.

It's still in my dresser drawer, I should probably just throw it out. Or maybe I could take them along next time. Do you think I'd get a discount if I bring my own? Like the 5 cents off at the grocery store if you bring your own bags.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

LOL!

I'd keep them. If nothing else, they may come in handy for a craft at some point. [Wink] But then, I'm a pack rat... But really, I can think of so many things to recycle them as! Spiderwebs for Halloween, swaddling clothes for a Baby Jesus diorama, even tying on gauze pads in an emergency when you run out of tape and pressure bandages and need to get a cut to the ER without bleeding all over... (Last time that happened I used a diaper. But gauze and mesh stretchy panties would work too. Actually it wasn't to the ER, it was to my dad's house. Anywho...)

School4ever
Member # 5575

- posted      Profile for School4ever   Email School4ever         Edit/Delete Post 
On the baby list I disagree with a few things. Don't buy the baby swing or bouncer unless you know your baby will like them. This is as simple as asking a friend if your baby can try out theirs. I am so glad I did this because our son hated them!

We also did not get a separate laundry basket, I just put his dirties in with ours.

We have never had a diaper pail. This may sound gross, but we just put the diapers in with the rest of our trash. Our trash can has never gotten that disgusting diaper pail smell because when all the trash goes in the same place it gets emptied faster. When we go to our in-laws, they have us put all the day's diapers in a plastic grocery store bag. At the end of the day we take it out to their outside trash can. This also really helps with the smell.

We used the washclothes as burp clothes, but this meant that we had more washclothes.

I actually agree on the two stroller thing! We now just use the umbrella stroller because he is two, but the big stroller was nice for walks.

We used a baby wrap to carry him around. I had an infant car seat that you could take out, but I much preferred carrying him in the wrap. I did not like lugging around the car seat at all.

I do not like baby lotion. This is highly clouded by the fact that my son has bad eczema. As the doctor explained to me, the entire purpose of baby lotion is to make the baby smell good, it actually dries out their skin. Even if our next child has normal skin, I will not be using that stuff.

Posts: 188 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
School4ever
Member # 5575

- posted      Profile for School4ever   Email School4ever         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and about diaper bags. Our son's birthmother got two diaper bags in the hospital and passed both on to us. One bag was from Similac and the other was from Enfamil. Then my husband's cousin (a L&D nurse) gave us one from her hospital. We have plenty of diaper bags, and we did not have to buy any of them.
Posts: 188 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
School4ever
Member # 5575

Sorry, I really can't usually contribute much to the conversation usually.

About pacifiers. I like how the hospital gives you one to start with. This way you can find out if your baby likes pacifiers. If your baby does, then you can buy more, my baby did not like them, so that was one expense I was saved, and yet I still got to see what he thought.

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Great! Thanks for the tips. I'm dying for them right now. [Smile]
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Best tip I ever got was from one of my friends right as I went into the second trimester. She told me it was time to put away all the pregnancy and birth books I was obsessively reading and start reading about babies, breastfeeding, and parenting.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, about the hospital pacifiers: my daughter gagged on them. Therefore, she spit them out. I switched her to smaller ones and she was okay (although she only took them for 2 months.) So babies that don't like the hospital pacis, may like other pacis...
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Why I Love My Doctor (actually, the whole office):

Because I have a history of high blood pressure, I am at risk for preeclampsia. (It turned out the HBP was caused by the estrogen in my birth control, & resolved itself when I switched types. Still, since my bp is clearly sensitive to hormones, they monitor closely as a matter of course.)

I take my bp twice a day with my home monitor. On Monday & Tuesday, it started going up--not a whole lot over where it had been, bottom number in the low 90s instead of mid+80s, but still, that's over the threshold. So I called my doctor and the receptionist immediately took my concern very seriously, called the doctor (who was out at his other office), and got back to me within 30 minutes. Since I had no other symptoms (headache, dizziness, swelling, blurry vision), they decided to have me come in Thursday AM for a bp and urine check (for protein).

The main reason I love them is this: They managed to take my concern 100% seriously without freaking me out. The receptionist (also a nurse) told me to continue monitoring & call immediately if it went over 100, but that given my lack of other symptoms (& my history, and the fact that at previous checkups my bp/ protein had been fine), everything was probably just fine. The bp/ protein check Thursday was just for reassurance.

So I went in Thursday and everything was fine...bp was even lower than at home, 130/70.

Naturally I am worried about the possibility of preeclampsia. But I feel so reassured to be going to this doctor. I am SO glad I switched. And although I currently have no plans or intentions to induce, I can understand why a mother might, in order to have a particular doctor there.

In other news, I got the 3-hour gestational diabetes screening over with today. We'll see how it turns out. After doing some more reading about the screening, I'm hopeful--one website said that having a cold can skew your 1-hour results, and I was just starting one the day I did mine. (Didn't realize it was a cold and not allergies until the afternoon.) But after all of CT's information, I'm definitely intending to strictly follow all of my doctor's advice if I do end up having it!!

dkw: What books did you read? That sounds like good advice to me. It's probably about time for me to start thinking about stuff like that. It's a little scary. I know virtually NOTHING about infant care.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scholar:
Oh- for thermometers- I personally liked the pacifier thermometer. It isn't as official or good, but for a quick guess, it's nice.

Well, since my son refused a pacifier, we didn't get any use out of the pacifier thermometer we got. [Smile]
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by School4ever:
On the baby list I disagree with a few things. Don't buy the baby swing or bouncer unless you know your baby will like them. This is as simple as asking a friend if your baby can try out theirs. I am so glad I did this because our son hated them!

This sounds sensible, but I'm actually going to go ahead and disagree somewhat. Granted, I got both of these items for free as gifts (new bouncy secondhand swing) but it took my son some time to get used to them. The truth is, he didn't want to sit anywhere but in my arms for 3 months and then I was able to interest him in the bouncy. He got interested in the swing about 4 months. Once he did get interested and get used to them, they were great...but I don't think a one-day trial with a friend would have given me any real information about this.

quote:

We have never had a diaper pail. This may sound gross, but we just put the diapers in with the rest of our trash. Our trash can has never gotten that disgusting diaper pail smell because when all the trash goes in the same place it gets emptied faster. When we go to our in-laws, they have us put all the day's diapers in a plastic grocery store bag. At the end of the day we take it out to their outside trash can. This also really helps with the smell.

This isn't a bad idea, really, but I do love my diaper genie. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by School4ever:
Oh, and about diaper bags. Our son's birthmother got two diaper bags in the hospital and passed both on to us. One bag was from Similac and the other was from Enfamil. Then my husband's cousin (a L&D nurse) gave us one from her hospital. We have plenty of diaper bags, and we did not have to buy any of them.

I got three free diaper bags and still went out and bought one. Two of the diaper bags had formula advertisements on them and I breastfed. The last bag isn't bad -- it's kind of a backpack style -- and I used it as a backup bag when I accidentally left our primary bag in my husband's car. [Smile]
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I do not like baby lotion. This is highly clouded by the fact that my son has bad eczema. As the doctor explained to me, the entire purpose of baby lotion is to make the baby smell good, it actually dries out their skin. Even if our next child has normal skin, I will not be using that stuff.
I absolutely agree, but I didn't know why on earth the pink baby lotion seemed to make Lego's skin problems worse. We used Eucerin (what my sister with terrible eczema uses) and regular lotion for him, depending on how bad his skin was at the time.

I had a Snugli and never liked it. I felt like it kind of forced Lego into an uncomfortable position, and it put a lot of strain on my back. I would like to try a sling, but I found I ended up just carrying him a lot of the time rather than "wearing" him. The mommies I've seen with slings look so much more comfortable, and the babies are always in better, comfier positions.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

My baby loved the snugli, hated the sling. She couldn't look around and move as freely in the sling. She hates her expensive big stroller, loves the unbrella. We never carried in her the carseat, though when we went into restuarants, my husband would bring it in, while I carried her and then we would pop her in while we ate.

About the trusting doctor, that is the most important thing about having a baby. I went on medicaid six months in and my doctor didn't take medicaid and I refused to change drs. I would rather pay the money for someone I really trusted then go to someone free but I couldn't trust.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Mine both hated the Snugli. I got a sling with Bridey, and she moved around just fine! She didn't like the cradle hold but she loved the kangaroo holds from birth.
School4ever
Member # 5575

I love Eucerin, I was hesitant to suggest it just because it seems like a lotion for adults, but we still use it on our son, and I would not switch for the world.

I guess I also have a bias against swings, they always look like they are about to throw the baby across the room.

None of the diaper bags we got had the advertisements on them, just in them.

We actually got two pacifiers in the bags, one big one that looked kind of old school, and one that had the nuk shaped nipple and was smaller. He did not like either one. I kept trying and trying.

After the first couple of days of brand new parents, (babies definitely know when they are with strangers - plus he spent his first two weeks with his birthfamily) he calmed down and only cried when hungry or tired.

He cries more now that he is two. I think he is finally understanding that we won't put up with temper tantrums. He has not tested me once today.

Christine
Member # 8594

Can someone explain the difference between a snugli and a sling?

I bought *something* for my son that never worked. I think it was called a sling, but actually the stupid thing had so much elastic in it that when I put my son in, he fell to my lower stomach even at the tightest adjusted level. I wanted something that held him firmly against my chest.

I would really love something like that for my new baby (coming in May) because now I'll have to have my arms free to deal with a toddler. [Smile]

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
A snugli looks like a front backpack, and the baby's legs go down through holes. Some have the baby face you, some have the baby face the world. A sling is often just a long strip of cloth and a ring, that you wrap around yourself.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
School4ever
Member # 5575

my sling has no elastic.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My sling is a ring sling, also has no elastic. It is extremely adjustable and I can snuggle baby right up to my chest, or on my hip, or on my back, or... Go to Maya Wrap's website to view videos of different ways to wear a ring sling. (Mine is actually Maya Wrap brand, but I bought it used for $10, less my $9-and-change trade in. Total was $0.17 when all was said and done, which was cool. It didn't come with the cd but since all the videos are viewable on their website, I didn't mind at all!)

Snugli is actually a brand of front carrier. It has straps that cross in the back, and the baby can face forward or backward in the carrier, which has leg holes and fastens/snaps up to hold the baby in.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Here is a picture of a Snugli being used in both a front and back facing position. Like I said, neither my kids nor I liked the Snugli. It overheated the baby (and me) very quickly, hurt my back, and they didn't like the way their legs were forced apart.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Grrr.

Last night and the night before I had some heartburn but I had hoped it was from eating spicy food. Tonight, no spicy food, more heartburn, and worse.

Instead of my morning sickness going away and being replaced by heartburn, I now have morning sickness AND heartburn.

Christine
Member # 8594

Thanks!

Yeah, it looks like I just got a really bad sling. I've seen people wearing the snugli but I'm not sure it looks as comfortable as a sling. Plus, ideally, I'm hoping to learn to nurse with the baby in the sling. (I did find discrete ways to nurse in public last time, but they involved carrying a boppy everywhere I went and it takes up more room.)

School4ever
Member # 5575

I made my Maya Wrap, they have instructions on how to do it on the website. That and the videos really makes me feel as if they care more about the family than about profits.
DeathofBees
Member # 3862

- posted      Profile for DeathofBees   Email DeathofBees         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:

Yeah, it looks like I just got a really bad sling.

I have used 3 different types of slings, and all of them are good for different purposes. The Maya Wrap has been really great as a ring sling that will hold Mini-Bee tight against me. I like it because the fabric moves easily through the rings when I'm trying to adjust it and because all the extra fabric at the end makes a great nursing coverup/blanket. Mini-Bee #2 really likes having his head up high, and with the Maya Wrap I can cinch him up against my upper chest with his head peeping over my shoulder. He digs it, plus he's not hanging so low that his body bumps against the kitchen counter. A bonus, if you get a striped one, is that you can see exactly which stripe to pull to get baby into the perfect position.

My homemade sling, similar to the New Native Baby style, is really great when Mini-Bee #2 wants to nap. It's not adjustable, though, so getting the right size for your body is important. I used this sling until Mini-Bee #1 was a year old, and he was always very comfortable.

Another sling I use is the BabyBag by Premaxx. I like it moderately well, but it is impossible to adjust while carrying baby, which makes me favor a ring sling more. It also has a narrow shoulder strap that cuts into my shoulder muscles. I got one of those furry wraparound neck protectors you Velcro onto your seatbelt, and it helps. My husband likes this sling because it looks masculine, and I like the additional pockets it has. It doesn't get a lot of use, though, since we got the Maya Wrap.

quote:

I'm hoping to learn to nurse with the baby in the sling.

You will have to experiment with all sorts of positions and semi-handholds. I can get Mini-Bee #2 to nurse in both the Maya Wrap and the New Native-style slings in a football hold position (under your arm, head forward, face up) while supporting his head with one hand. You will have your other hand completely free and, in a pinch, can let go with both hands. This is NOT a discreet position unless you're wearing a nursing top that keeps your belly covered and have some extra sling fabric to pull over the front. It is handy when making lunch, though. Mostly I recommend ring slings for nursing because you can quickly and easily loosen the fabric enough to pull baby into position and then cinch it back up a bit once he's latched on. Forget about having your hands completely free until he's old enough to move around quite a bit by himself in there, though. You'll have to support his head and maybe keep his nose free with your fingers, too, or he'll pop off. I guess that also depends on the size of your breasts, too, but mine always threaten to suffocate my children. Yipes! Threatening breasts!

About babywearing and comfort: I've heard a lot of moms says that they tried a sling and their babies didn't like it. With my boys, if I just plopped them in a sling and stood still, they would hate it, too. Once baby is in position and cinched up, START MOVING. Sway, walk, dance, do whatever so it feels more womb-like. Don't try to sit down or stand still until baby is in a very relaxed state or sleeping. He may struggle against the tightness of the fabric for a few moments, but once he's settled, he'll calm and probably either doze right off or go into that quiet alert state that doctors tell us is so good for learning.

Here's a link to making a Rebozo or Mexican shawl sling yourself!

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Christy used a Maya Wrap with both our daughters, and they seemed happy with it. There were a few "oh, look, the kid worked free and is on the verge of plopping to the ground" scares as they got older, but not too many. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I always put Bridey in the Maya Wrap while I was doing laundry-- I could carry her in the front and my laundry on my hip, brilliant!) and she would be asleep by the time I had the last stuff in the washer, every time. I never tried to "just stand there", if the sling was on it was to move around and do things or go places. I think if you are just sitting or standing around there is no substitute for holding in arms. Unless, of course, you're doing a long wait in line, in which case it saves your arms. I always swayed in that case.

Once they get older and get used to the sling, they like it better. Bridey likes to hold on to the edge and try to lean back, which freaks me out, but I've gotten pretty good at getting it tight enough that she can't flip out or otherwise hurt herself.

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like there are several recommendations for the Maya Wrap. I've looked around way too much at the various options for wraps and slings online--it's overwhelming. Maya Wrap was one of the very first ones I heard about. Maybe I'll go with that one.

My mother-in-law is going to be making me a couple of baby carriers. One of them will be just a big piece of fabric that you can wrap and tie in many different positions. The other will be more sling-like, which will probably be a maya wrap.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You don't have to get a Maya Wrap brand-- search "ring sling" on eBay and you'll find lots of home-made ones that are just as good, and cheaper than a new Maya Wrap. You can even buy ring slings made out of Solarveil fabric (if you don't want to buy Solarveil fabric and make your own, which is cheaper but more work.)
Christine
Member # 8594

I had some kids over for my son's birthday today and one of the moms came with a Maya sling for her 6-week-old. She raved about it, too!

quote:
Originally posted by DeathofBees:
I guess that also depends on the size of your breasts, too, but mine always threaten to suffocate my children. Yipes! Threatening breasts!

LOL...I had the same problems with my son. When he was very young, I often had to hold them away from his nose. [Smile]
dkw
Member # 3264

I love my Maya Wrap. We didn't get as much use out of it when he was a tiny baby, although sometimes Bob would take him into the office (he works from home) and the babe would sleep in the wrap while Bob worked. Once he was old enough for the over-the-hip carry I used it a lot.

I found it to work really well while sitting, too. He was less squirmy that way than just sitting on my lap.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've used my Maya wrap for all kinds of things-- a leash when Bridget kept running away at church while we were visiting a different ward (just stuck it around her middle, under her arms, and pulled it tight, then held the end); a makeshift "basket" pouch to carry water bottles and sunscreen and hats and such on the back of my umbrella stroller(s) (when using either one or two with the connectors); one time Boon and I even used hers as a screen when her daughter had to pee behind a tree when there were no restrooms around... I think that's one of the ring sling's main advantages, besides being so easy to carry around (folds small enough to go in a pocket or purse quite easily) and having so many positions you can use it in, it's a great multi-tasker.
scholar
Member # 9232

quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
I had some kids over for my son's birthday today and one of the moms came with a Maya sling for her 6-week-old. She raved about it, too!

quote:
Originally posted by DeathofBees:
I guess that also depends on the size of your breasts, too, but mine always threaten to suffocate my children. Yipes! Threatening breasts!

LOL...I had the same problems with my son. When he was very young, I often had to hold them away from his nose. [Smile]
The morning after I had Bin, the breastfeeding consultant came in to help me and told me to stop holding my breasts away from her nose. Babies don't ever suffucate while breastfeeding, she claimed. So, I let them free and a minute later she was turning blue. Absolutely terrifying. The next time a nurse told me to stop holding them away from her, I was like, uhoh! I'm not falling for that again. Of course, now that she is ten months, there isn't much fear of suffucation.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, mine learn to hold their heads way back at about 4 or 5 months. Until then, it is a two-handed job.
Christine
Member # 8594

Unfortunately, I never learned to nurse without supporting the breast. I didn't have to hold it away form his nose after a few months (maybe 4 or 5...can't remember) but if I didn't support it from underneath with my hand he never could get a proper latch. For all I know, I was doing something wrong, but we did nurse for a good long time (16.5 months) so it couldn't have been that bad.

I heard people suggest that you couldn't suffocate a baby with a breast, too. None of them had big breasts. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I never have to support mine-- that makes them MORE suffocate-y-- but then, my nipples are differently placed and breasts differently shaped than most women I know.

I am trying to get up the nerve to eat something before my heartburn kicks back in (all I've had today is a cup of herbal tea and half a bagel with cream cheese) but I just have absolutely no appetite.

No wonder I'm still at my pre-pregnancy weight (I'm now more than 16 weeks along.)

Hopefully Thanksgiving will remedy that...

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Nevermind. Heartburn is now back.

Does anyone know of any OTC meds for heartburn that are safe in the second trimester?

'Cause I am not going to eat lunch now, and will probably choke down a very, very small amount of food at dinner, and that will be it until tomorrow.

No wonder I'm not gaining well.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Just searched and Zantac is a class B. I'm taking some.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
My tried and true is a little baking soda in water (about 1/2 teaspoon in a cup, and I drink a few long swallows). I don't know of specifics for pregnancy safety, but I haven't heard of any counterindications. It is sodium bicarbonate, and when it combines with stomach acid (HCl), it forms carbon dioxide (you burp) and table-salt (NaCl) water.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

My last OB said to use Mylanta. I have a new OB and haven't asked him but am still going with the old recommendation because I like the cheery flavor. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I tried baking soda, it makes my stomach churn. And Mylanta makes me throw up. [Frown]
  This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.