FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY (Page 7)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
They showed a bunch of angles, and were pretty convincing that the puck was struck low enough not to be high-sticking. Remember you are talking to a Buffalo fan, we know all about getting jobbed by officials.

I think Sabre fans have finally let all the various versions of NoGoal.com lapse, register away.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Moving on, Anaheim/Calgary go to game 7. I'm pretty torn about this one. I would like to see Calgary defeated in the first round, because statiscally San Jose would be an easier match for the Oilers. But as we've seen many times, sometimes stats just don't matter in the playoffs.

OTOH, on an emotional level, I want a battle of Alberta. This province would go absolutely nuts! More importantly, I want to see Edmonton beat Calgary! It's no secret that there's a fair bit of animosity between the two teams (even moreso between their fans). That's what makes it so agonizing. Whoever's team wins will have bragging rights until the two teams meet in another epic match

Gah, I can't decide. I could never go so far as to say "Go Flames!" but I won't be cheering for Anaheim either.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy
Member # 9384

- posted      Profile for Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy           Edit/Delete Post 
Um, doesn't the winner of the Anaheim/Calgary series play Colorado in the next round?

I want to see Anaheim win, just so that all four Western series will be upsets [Smile]

Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyr, man, you crack me up.

Anyway, tonight I'm really hoping the Cam Ward of the past 2 games misses the bus and the Canadians are actually able to put some pucks into the net.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

quote:
Um, doesn't the winner of the Anaheim/Calgary series play Colorado in the next round?
Nope, the NHL playoffs don't follow your typical tournament structure. After each round, seed rankings from the regular season are maintained. So in each round the highest seed left plays the lowest seed left. Since San Jose and Calgary are ranked higher than Anaheim and Colorado, and Edmonton is ranked lowest, San Jose or Calgary will play Edmonton in the 2nd round.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Chelios, Stevie Y, and Shanahan are probably all leaving.

Didn't Chelios already sign on for another year? I thought I heard that somewhere. I will be said to see Stevie Y go. He is just such a class act and probably my favorite player in the NHL.

I feel the same way as Fitz in regards to the Anaheim/Calgary series. If you think the crowd was loud in last nights game, just wait until the Flames/Oilers hit the ice. I'd be wearing ear protection if I were able to attend one of those games.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lyr, man, you crack me up.
I imagine I should be glaring at you right now, but I just don't care enough to bother.

As far as Chelios goes, I thought at the end of the game last night they said that Chelios was among the others leaving. I'm not sure if he should play another year or not. Might be best to leave with the others in style.

I almost wish Stevie could play just one more year. I just don't know if he could keep up with the youngsters with his age and injuries.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, he is really banged up, but he is one of the classiest players of any sport, so I will be sorry to see him go.

Modern professional sports needs more of players like him and less of the T.O. variety.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Amen to that!

I wonder if he will stay with the organization. Maybe as a scout, or somewhere even in the NHL proper and not just the Red Wings. But I'd love to see his influence continue.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Yzerman seems like a guy who will stay involved, whether it's coaching or commentating or something else.

Great article on Chris Drury, an outstanding person and total athlete.

quote:
Drury's athletic success is extraordinary, if not unparalleled. As a youth, his Greater Bridgeport (Conn.) hockey team won the United States national amateur championship in 1989. Five months later, he hit and pitched his team from Trumbull, Conn., to the Little League World Series title with an upset of Taiwan.

He won a state championship in hockey in high school but was not drafted until the third round, 72nd over all. In his first season at Boston University, the Terriers won the N.C.A.A. hockey championship. As a senior, he won the Hobey Baker Award as the best collegiate player in the nation.

He then became the first Hobey Baker winner to earn the Calder Memorial Trophy as the N.H.L.'s rookie of the year, with the Colorado Avalanche. Two years later, he helped the Avalanche win the Stanley Cup.

It also talks quite a bit about Travis Roy, the Boston University player (and teammate of Drury and Mike Grier) who injured his spine 11 seconds in to his first shift of his first BU game.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Stevie is still riding his last contract of 11 years IIRC. Now, of course there is a dealy in it that says he can retire when he wants and he can finish off the contract as almost whatever he wants. The last I heard he said he wanted to go scout for players. I'd say he ain't leaving anytime soon. Detroit has been real good to him.

Edit to add: He may leave the ice, but he will still be part of our team. Always our leader.

[ May 02, 2006, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Stan the man ]

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah, there are some class acts out there...but you never hear from them becaue T.O. is shouting so loud. [Frown]

I remember that hockey accident, I was living in MA when it happened, I think, and it was all over the news. [Frown]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Sabres up 6-1 at the end of the second. Booyah!
TheTick
Member # 2883

Total destruction. Ken Hitchcock made the mistake of ticking off the Drury line...he was asked about how they are always out to try and stop the Forsberg line and he dismissed it with a 'We're plus and they're minus' type comment. In the deciding game Drury/Roy/Grier was +12, Forsberg/Gagne/Knuble was -11. I guess that so called 'checking' line can score, eh?

This Ottawa series is going to be EPIC. This is a Sabres team that is super confident going against their biggest rival from this year. I can't wait!!

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Montreal. It's not unlike their last series with the 'Canes, where they were in control and then one play in one game shifts the momentum and Carolina wins 4 in a row. 'Course, that time it was a soft goal and this time it was their captain getting his eye cut.

I'm glad they took two games, though. It's certainly more than I expected [Smile] So I guess I have to cheer for a backup team.

Go Sens Go!

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch....this has been such a bleak year for philly sports...the only thing i have left is a philly horse winning the triple crown...maybe the third time is the charm [Frown]
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
This should answer most questions on Stevie Y. Lyr, Kwea.

The Captain has left the building.

Edited to add: I probably didn't have to put this in here. Heck, it's probably all over the tv news over there.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

[Cry]
Member # 9384

Woo, four upsets in the West!
Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

::Pats Kwea on the back::

He'll still be in Detroit, it's in the blood. And Detroit will never forget.

Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy:
Woo, four upsets in the West!

Not woo. I think something is wrong with the sport if the top four teams in the western conference give it their all for 82 games, and then in 7 games or less, they're out in the playoffs.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

There will be a huge review of the "new NHL" after this season is over and some things will be changed no doubt. It was an experimental year. And everyone no doubt has feelings on what is working and what isn't with the new system.
Member # 9384

quote:
Not woo. I think something is wrong with the sport if the top four teams in the western conference give it their all for 82 games, and then in 7 games or less, they're out in the playoffs.
Then why even bother having playoffs?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It could just be a fluke Hamson, but there might be something more systemic wrong with the new rules system. Won't know until they really sit down and talk about it. Players will certainly have their opinions.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Hmm... if the scoring keeps going at this pace it's going to wind up being something like 58-57 in the Ottawa Buffalo game.
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha Bob.

Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy: I don't have any problems with upsets, it just seems like hockey more than any other sport, has them incredibly regularly. If you look at something like say, basketball though, sure there are upsets, but they are much less common and therefore much more interesting when they happen.

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Part of it is because of the amount of influance the goalie plays. You can be outplaying the other team 2 to 1, but if their goalie is realy hot it won't matter, you will lose.

Or if you goalie has a really bad day, for whatever reason, it doesn't matter how well the rest of your team plays, not really.

TheTick
Member # 2883

Let's go Buffalo! I'm late to the party but WHAT A GAME! You don't want them all to be shootouts like that but this is not the same Sabres team that wilted before the Sens early in the season. You make a mistake, and you better make sure your goalie has an unbelievable game or it's going in the net (see Robert Esche in game 1 of that series). Drury comes up huge at the right time, you can see where is rep for scoring big goals comes from. And how about Derek Roy, going for 2 goals, 3 assists? The most I dare to hope for is a 1-1 split coming back to Buffalo...I've got a feeling that Emery is going to be shaky playing in our building. Whatever happens, this is going to be an exciting series. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
TheTick
Member # 2883

Busy night tonight. You've got the Sabres looking to steal another one in Ottawa's building (whatever it's called this week). The Devils and Martin Brodeur look to rebound against the Hurricanes, and the Oil slick look to contaminate the Sharks' environment in the late game. [Big Grin]
TheTick
Member # 2883

Steal was the right word...Ryan Miller stole game 2 from the Sens with a monumental 43 save effort. Despite being outshot 44 to 17 the Sabres win 2-1. Tim Connoly went down a minute in, and did not return. Not what we want to see considering he missed a year with a severe concussion. Jochen Hecht returned, though, and netted the game winner. Will the hockey world pay attention if the Sabres sweep the Sens?
Kwea
Member # 2199

Probably not.
solo
Member # 3148

Wow that was tense last night. Triple overtime. Edmonton dominating the game and only Toskala kept the Sharks alive. I was pretty worried that Kelly Hrudey was going to be right and the Sharks would win on a cheesy turn around goal but Roloson was able to stop several solid attempts. And then Smyth, who returned to the game after losing some teeth to a puck, sets up the winner from Horcoff.

The game didn't wrap up until nearly 1am. It's gonna be a long day.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Get out the brooms. Looks like Buffalo and Carolina are on a collision course for the Eastern Conference finals. We know what happens when Sabres collide with you. [Hail]
TheTick
Member # 2883

I'm going to man up and take responsibility for this loss. My wife was bugging me about the playoff beard so I broke down and shaved it.
Fitz
Member # 4803

Whoo, what a game! Oilers come back from 3-1 to score five in a row and win it 6-3!!! Series tied 2-2 and heading back to SJ.
solo
Member # 3148

That was awesome. Let's hope they can start off a little better in the next couple of games.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Impressive comeback from the Oilers. Way to keep the excitement in the game [Smile] .
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well there go the Senators. Top teams in the East and the West are out of contention for the Cup.
TheTick
Member # 2883

Welcome to Pominville! Rookie Jason Pominville works Daniel Alfredsson and Ray Emery for a short-handed series clinching OT goal, the first in NHL history. This from a guy who was waived (and not picked up) at the beginning of the year. Ryan Miller was freaking sharp. Hats off to Ottawa, they fought hard (all games decided by one goal) but in the end, the Sabres team play did them in.
TheTick
Member # 2883

Hmm...if money were no object this would be on my wall. I could even pick it up and save the $128 shipping!
TheTick
Member # 2883

Awwww poor Carolina is afraid all the NY transplants and road trippers are going to fill their arena:

quote:
RBC Center is located in Raleigh, NC. Sales to this event will be restricted to residents of bordering states. Residency will be based on credit card billing address. Orders by residents outside of this area will be canceled without notice and refunds given.
[Razz]
TheTick
Member # 2883

They got rid of that policy...there are still great seats available for the games in Carolina.

All Buffalo games sold out in 12 minutes.

Neat article from Mike Eruzione of the Miracle on Ice team.

Fitz
Member # 4803

OILERS!!!!!!!!!! [Big Grin]

Last time the Oil made it to the playoff semi-finals I was 9 years old. This is just freakin' insane. Edmonton is gonna go absolutely nuts tonight!! Anaheim, you're next!

Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess since the Habs are out, GO OILERS!! at least the sens aren't in still (and I'm not even going to comment on Toronto, haha)
Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Angio: you are welcome about keeping the Sens out. [Wink]

Danny Briere was on ESPNews, and they mentioned he missed some practice time with an 'upper body injury'. Turns out it was a sore throat. Gotta love coaches in the playoffs.

TheTick
Member # 2883

Congratulations to the Oilers and Sabres (!) in winning game one on the road in each of the Conference Finals. Buffalo did it like they always do, demoralize with the early goal, build a lead with a stretch of dominant play, and give up their bodies to help prevent good scoring opportunities. The Sabres blocked 29 shots (to Carolina's 14) and forced 17 giveaways (to 10). Jay McKee picked up the gamewinner, joining the rush out of the penalty box and dodging a potential shot-blocker (really now, McKee's the king, no fooling him).

Special mention goes to Ryan Miller (again), who seems to be getting more confident with each passing game. He was smothering his rebounds, sharp with shots through traffic, and had the pass that sprung Sabres playmaker Danny Briere for the second goal, a nasty backhand.

I hope some of you got to see it, even if your own teams are no longer in. Anyone interested in hockey that has questions, I'm sure there are folks here who can answer them.

Fitz
Member # 4803

Going into the 3rd period with a 1-0 lead for the Oilers, who would've though that the Edmonton/Anaheim game would end with the Oilers up 5-4. That was the most insane 3rd period I've seen so far in the 2006 playoffs. Phew...

When the "We want the cup!" chant started in Rexall after the Oilers went up 4-0 I got concerned. The hockey gods are fickle indeed, and we should know better than to offend them with such brazen cockiness. But who can blame the Edmonton fans for feeling a bit superior after such a vast lead. And then bam! Anaheim comes back with 3 quick goals!!! Oh no!

Thankfully we have one of the best clutch players around in the form of Pisani, who widened the lead by 2 goals again. Well it was scary, but the Oilers pulled it off, and hopefully they learn a big lesson from what could well have been a huge catasrophe of a comeback.

TheTick
Member # 2883

Man, I wanted to see that game last night. I watched the box score balloon with fighting majors and roughing penalties in the 1st, so I knew something was going on. And the third...sweet.

Fans are streaming in downstairs, as there's another block party before game 3.

solo
Member # 3148

That was intense last night. I wish I could afford the ticket prices to see the games live but that is not in the cards right now.

Game four is going to be interesting. Hopefully the Oilers will all be over the flu. I think that was part of what nearly did them in late in the third. They got the big lead and thought that they could take it a little easier. They can't afford to have that happen again.

solo
Member # 3148

Tick, did you go to the game last night?

I must confess, I haven't been watching any games other than the Oilers. I think my wife would kill me if I tried to watch the other conference finals. We have only 1 TV and she only enjoys watching sports live.

It sounds like it was a pretty exciting game though. I'm hoping for an Edmonton-Buffalo fight for the cup.

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.