FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dear Secret Santa... (Page 7)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Dear Secret Santa...
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I'll email.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Still haven't received my gift. [Frown]

Still pestering my mailman [Big Grin] , who thinks the whole Secret Santa idea is really funny.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Many, many presents are still in transit. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah they ae, and it's not that late, the goal is to get gifts before January 1.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I know. I just don't want my Secret Santa to think I'm not acknowledging his/her gift.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay K.T.!! I'm so glad you liked it. [Smile] That's my famous toffee in the gladware. I like it after it's been refrigerated, but it really is the best stuff in the world. I hope you like it.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my gift from Dr. Strangelove today. It's this really beautiful crystal globe. Thanks Joshua. It is indeed really neat.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, thank you, thank you, thank you!

I love your gifts. There are several things there I’ve never seen before – the chocolate sunflower seeds, the toasted sunflower seeds and the corn on the cob popcorn. I never imagined any of those things existed. I’ve already tried the chocolate sunflower seeds, the first couple seemed very odd, then they became very Moorish, so I put them away as I want to share them with my family as I’m sure they’ve never seen them either.

I’m also looking forward to tea and scones Kansas style – not something I expected. The calendar is lovely too – now I have no excuse for not knowing when your holidays are.

Thanks you.

Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Kettricken -- I'm so GLAD they finally got to you today! I was worried after your last post about you getting ready for leave for several days -- and I sent it ages ago!

I tried to find the most unique items I could -- things that might be interesting to you as well as say something about my wonderful state.

Have a safe trip to see your family for the holiday!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Rabbit, I thought it might've been better to get you something practical, but that really caught my eye and I figured hey, it can be used as a paperweight. :-).
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan Raven had my name last year - my first year on Hatrack and therefore my first year participating in the exchange. Perhaps he had Leonide's name the year before?
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank-you Leonide & Strider!!

The postman just turned up with a big brown box (and my dog went crazy). Many styrofoam peanuts later....

A candy jar! It's really nifty - the jar sits upside down and screws into a covered disc thing that the candy falls into. And there's little holes in the disc so you can get the candy out.

And I got candy. [Big Grin]

Oooh, and I have candy in the pantry (jellybellys) that will be perfect in it as well.

Thank-you!

And I like the sign. Pretty aptly named town for this kind of year!

[Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
If my SS wants to know, I was sick today and could not check my mail. I'll see if the package has arrived tomorrow. [Smile]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
Yay K.T.!! I'm so glad you liked it. [Smile] That's my famous toffee in the gladware. I like it after it's been refrigerated, but it really is the best stuff in the world. I hope you like it.

[Big Grin]

As in, your own recipe? Please please please please please will you share?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
To my person: It got mailed Friday. The predicted time was about a week.

Just to elaborate slightly . . . (sorry, you know I can't resist)
quote:
Heenay Mah Tov means "Here/This is what is good"
This is a part of a line from Psalm 133, and a common Jewish folk song -- or I guess several, since there are multiple tunes it is sung to. The most common one is good for singing in rounds.
quote:
Poteach is a passage from our daily prayer and means "You open"
Psalm 145.
quote:
Ashrecha is the only word I do not know.
It means "you are fortunate," and I would guess it is from the first couple verses of Psalm 128.
quote:
Ezri as a song is a the beginning of a famous psalm
Esa einai el heharim, me'ayin me'ayin yavo ezri? Ezri me'im Hashem! I will lift my eyes up to the mountains -- from where will come my help? My help will come from God! (Psalm 130)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks rivka. I was expecting you to elaborate a bit, actually. [Smile]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, I would *love* to get a good toffee recipe. If you're willing to share, I'd like a copy.

Farmgirl, what are Kansas style tea and scones?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Farmgirl, what are they? *curious* Thanks for asking, Noemon. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they really aren't anything more than a scone "mix" (like having a muffin mix) and a tea blend that are both Made In Kansas

So, since the British are somewhat famous for their tea and scones, I thought she might like trying the Kansas blends or versions of those.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a package I got a package I got a package!!!

Um... I should probably open it now. [Blushing]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooh! Thank you! I still have no idea what the screenname of the person who sent the package to me is (did I miss it?) But thank you!

The hard rectangle book-shaped thing was indeed a book-- A Photographic Journey Through Colorado! Beautiful, absolutely beautiful! My husband has family there, maybe we should go visit sometime-- and I'm using this book to plan what side trips we'll go on!

The lumpy thing was a cute little bag of "Mines Marbles", apparently named after the School of Mines. They look cool, although the geometry is waaaay over my head-- I'll have to show the sheet to Rivka or my dad or someone and have them explain it to me, I'm a dunce at geometry. [Blushing] But they look like fun to play with, if I can keep Emma from stealing them! (She's also enjoying looking at the book with me, and I'm sure KPC will enjoy it, too.) Thank you so much!

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
Papa Moose, your package came today! What fun to open all the gifts: There is a wooden lion sculpture (Aslan?), two beautiful bars of soap in nice spicy scents, A package of cookie mix with a moose cookie cutter (what else!) , some spiced cider mix, and a bag of kettle corn for popping. And a package of home-made, beautifully decorated Christmas cookies that are disappearing rather quickly... And a cool "Greetings from Uganda" Card!

Thank you so much! [Smile]

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss] Alty [Kiss]

You doll, you! My gift just arrived -- my mom came in and went "you have a package!" So I walked up to her, and she went "no, it's outside." Well, I ask you, why couldn't she have brought it in with the rest of the mail? *raises eyes to heavens*

Anyway, it's lovely! The gummy goodies look delumptious, and the book is marvelous... some real photographic gems in there. I've definitely never seen a collection of fairy photos before. [Smile] What a unique idea... it's really magical. And the letter was almost the best part... I teared up when I read it. *hughug* Thank you so much, Alty!!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've been told that my special gifter was Eisenoxyde. Thank you, Eisenoxyde!
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I will totally post my famous toffee recipe and then someone can remind me how to put it on the hatrack recipe site. [Smile]

1 C. chopped walnuts (pretty finely)
1 package milk chocolate chips

Spread walnuts in a layer on a cookie sheet. (I don't fill the cookie sheet, I like the layer to be a bit thicker, 1/4 inch or so.) Then sprinkle chocolate chips on top of the walnuts. Make sure that the chocolate is ONLY on the walnuts and that they're pretty close together. (My rule for the walnuts is that they should supercede the edge of the chocolate once it's layed out in a single layer. You might need more walnuts, this is all estimates.)

1 C. sugar
1 C. REAL butter
1 T. vanilla
5 T. water

Combine all these ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Cook on high, stirring CONSTANTLY, for about 10 minutes. It will change colors and go through a variety of textures. The most important thing is the color. You should take it off the heat once it's the color of a brown paper bag. Don't take it off any sooner and don't let it burn. You'll start to see dark brown streaks coming up from the bottom, which is when it's done.

Immediately pour the toffee in a thin layer over the top of the chocolate and nuts, covering all the chocolate. I pat the toffee down with a wooden spoon just so it picks up as many nuts as possible. Allow to cool (I put it in the freezer for 10 minutes if I'm in a hurry). Once it's completely cooled, break toffee with a knife and eat it until you're sick. Keep cool (but don't store it in the freezer. It sweats and then get's all weird.) I just store it in the fridge and it keeps for quite a while. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, that sounds really good. I used to make a similar candy when I lived on the mainland. When I tried to make it the first Christmas I lived here, it never set up properly, and turned to soup after it cooled. I guess the added humidity changed it enough that it didn't work. I tried it again the next year, cooking it a bit longer, but I've never made it work here. [Frown]

The good news is, the extra humidity here makes my sweet breads better!

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you got it, ctm. I hope you noticed your name on the stocking cookie -- that was my idea. Mama baked and decorated them all, though. Eating my baking wouldn't be nearly as celebratory.

There's no particular external reason for the lion to be Aslan, but that's pretty much what I was thinking when I included him. He's also from Uganda, hand-carved out of ebony.

Anyway, I'm really glad you liked them (and that they got there!).

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
*bouncebouncebounce* I just got mine!

Thank you, CaySedai! [Big Grin]

Her gift to me basically hit on all the things I said I wanted on the "What I want for the gift exchange" thread:

There was some Iowa candy for local flavor: it was neat--kind of like a Reese's peanut butter cup meets a cherry-cordial: on the outside is chocolate and peanut bits, and on the inside is kind of a cherry nougat. Yum! [Big Grin]

The were FOUR decks of Mickey Mouse playing cards! Cor and I will have fun playing stri^h^h^h^h Go Fish tonight! [Big Grin]

And there were also four adorable snowman Christmas ornaments, each wearing a little cap and a little scarf--did you make those yourself? They are really cute--and one for each of us, even!

[The Wave]

EDIT: and for even more local flavor, the gifts were cushioned in local newspapers--there's even a sudoku puzzle in one of the sections there--I can't wait to do it!!!

[ December 21, 2005, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

The newspaper is actually the one where I work, but I didn't see anything of mine in there. I packed it at the post office. [Blushing]

The candy (Twin Bing) is made about 120 miles from where I live, and it's one of my favorites.

I picked four snowmen because there are four people in my family and in yours. Unfortunately, they were made in Kansas, but that's close to Iowa, and Iowa certainly gets a lot of snow. (I figured that would be close enough)

The cards, with Mickey Mouse, fulfilled your wish for something Disney, and also gives you something to share with your family. (I thought it was funny - someone from Iowa sending Disney stuff to someone in Florida!) [Wink]

So very glad you like everything!

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

The snowmen visit Snow Village and outskirts.

Here kitty kitty . . .

It's not nice to point!

If we all work together, I think we can take them out . . .

Giddyap!!

To go boldly where snowman has gone before . . .

Ohmmmmmmmmmm

Let us out!

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I don't think we should go in there . . . it looks haunted.

Beware of hitchhiking ghosts.

So, you, uh, come here often?

err, this totally isn't what it looks like . . .

So, you, uh, come here often?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . . . .

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

Amira...your lovely gifts just arrived. Thank you so much. [Big Grin] I knew if I didn't sit watching for the mailman to come, the package would. Except that we have a very small mail box and all I found there was a notice to go to the post office and pick up my package. Fortunately, however, the mailman was still delivering in the next block so I walked up there and he retrieved the package from his truck.

I love the book already, just glancing through it. I love history, and I love humor - the two together are absolutely perfect. "The Rottweiler of Time" indeed. [ROFL] And I'm sure I'll enjoy the CD. I recognize some of the artists, but except for "Wonderwall", I think all the songs are new to me. I'm especially interested to hear "Mulder and Scully". [Smile] Also, the card you made is beautiful. It reminds me of the time, way too long ago now, when I visted London.

Thank you.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus, you crack me up with all your snowman photos. It looks like you had a really great time playing with your new toys.

I am having a wonderful (vicarious) pleasure enjoying everyone else's gifts!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raia:
[Kiss] Alty [Kiss]

You doll, you! My gift just arrived -- my mom came in and went "you have a package!" So I walked up to her, and she went "no, it's outside." Well, I ask you, why couldn't she have brought it in with the rest of the mail? *raises eyes to heavens*

Anyway, it's lovely! The gummy goodies look delumptious, and the book is marvelous... some real photographic gems in there. I've definitely never seen a collection of fairy photos before. [Smile] What a unique idea... it's really magical. And the letter was almost the best part... I teared up when I read it. *hughug* Thank you so much, Alty!!

What do you mean with: "Almost the best part?"
Just kidding. I'm glad you liked the book! I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it and figured, "I've been looking for a good gift for Raia, I think this freakin' awesome book ought to do the trick! I'll stuff it with gummies too!"
Breyerchic told me you were not that fond of chocolates, so I decided to get you an assortment of gummies since any person that doesn't like gummies cannot call itself human. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
<--apparently can not call myself human [Frown]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
<--apparently can not call myself human [Frown]

[Evil]
No you can't. It's good to have friends from all over the galaxy though!

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Gummies definitely trump chocolates any day. [Smile] Thanks again, darling!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Gummies are fake plastic candy, and (I believe) a close relative to Jell-o.

Black Licorice is the yummiest candy! And I will whip anyone who disagrees -- with my Black Licorice Whips!

quidscribis
Member # 5124

I'll take salted black licorice, please. [Evil]
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Black Licorice is the yummiest candy!
quote:
I'll take salted black licorice, please.
*involuntary shudder of disgust*
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
*voluntary shudder of disgust*
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Ew indeed. To both. [Frown]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Icarus: maybe a couple of those photo links should have "not work-friendly" warnings. [Wink]

My gift is having unintended (but hilarious) uses I never dreamed of. Oh, and BTW, are you implying that "Knife of Dreams" would put someone to sleep? (points at nick referencing Robert Jordan books) [Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I am using Knife of Dreams right now for that very reaszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
LMA, I'm really pleased you liked it. [Big Grin] Let me know what you think of the CD, when you've listened to it. I'm glad it finally arrived - I was beginning to worry that it would never get there!
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K.T.
Member # 8665

- posted      Profile for K.T.   Email K.T.         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia,

The toffee is absolutely scrumptious!!! [Smile] *sighs thinking about how long it will be before I get to eat more* (I didn't bring them to work)

Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Actually, your nick was what prompted me. [Wink]

But, if you notice, I own Knife of Dreams.

In hardback.

(And I'm about two-thirds of the way through it and am enjoying it quite a bit, though I wish he would give more of the Egwene-in-the-White-Tower storyline, which I'm enjoying immensely, and less of the Mat-and-Tuon-riding-all-over-the-countryside-needling-each-other plotline, which isn't doing much for me. And I'm sad about Rand's hand.)

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Reeeeeeeeeeeeceived!

Good timing, I leave for the airport in, uh, two hours. Jonathan Howard sent me a Hamsa, a modern Israeli good luck talisman, all the way from Israel! VERY cool. The timing is also very bizarre, because it's inscribed with a blessing to recite before you travel, and like I said, I leave in two hours...

...guess what I'll be carrying with me?

Pictures to come when I have a camera again.

Thanks, Jonathan, I appreciate it and hope you have a happy holiday.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

How funny, that's what I sent my giftee from Israel last year. I wonder if it's a similar one... *awaits photographs*
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Has anyone received my present yet?

<listens closely. hears lonely chirping of a cricket>

I sent it so long ago.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Tante, your person never posted that they sent theirs either, and it was recieved, I'm just guessing they aren't posting.
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.