FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack and World of Warcraft (Page 6)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Hatrack and World of Warcraft
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
You really need a group to have any hope of doing class quests at anything close to the level they're assigned.

And on a PvP server, you need high level benefactors to guide you if anything takes you through Hillsbrad Foothills. PvP servers require guilds to work together, because individuals get wiped. I always played on a PvE server, myself, because I prefered flying solo.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always flown solo as well, which can be attested to by two hunters at 60 and 57. However, I love PvP servers and the energy of being in a contested zone. I didn't have many issues leveling in Hillsbrad, although I might have been the cause of such issues for the other faction a little later. [Big Grin] Hillsbrad was always the best pvp until the mushroom vendor. [Frown]
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't worry too much about getting your Succubus right away. The fact of the matter is that she's the worst pet at your level. At level 26 though, she gets Seduction, and becomes your CC and damage dealing pet. As you gain levels she gets increasingly better. But for now, rest easy, the voidwalker is still your best friend for questing.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hillsbrad was always the best pvp until the mushroom vendor.
?? What's this about the mushroom vendor?

quote:
At level 26 though, she gets Seduction, and becomes your CC . . .
CC? Constant Companion??!
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

CC = Crowd Control.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Ah, that makes sense. Nothing brings a people together like a common language. Nothing sets them apart like an acronym. [Wink]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Acronyms have become the common language of World of Warcraft.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
Acronyms have become the common language of World of Warcraft.

True story.

Did some reading on the Wailing Caverns, it looks like it is a 18-low 20's instance. Deadmines is more or less exactly the same.

Who would be down with hitting one of the two during the week, if not one of them for sure saturday morning? I personally think the deadmines is more fun than Wailing Caverns.

I'd really like to have this planned with 5 players commited. I have alot of fun raiding with you guys.

KarlEd: To be hones "Constant Companion" is probably a more accurate description of what a succubus does then "Crowd Control" [Wink]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
BB: I'll be there saturday morning, so count me in.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be on Saturday morning, so you have a healer.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
The mushroom vendor is a NPC at terran mill that can aggro into a fight. He is a civilian which means a DHK or dishonorable kill. A dhk results in a loss of honor, slowing your progression through the pvp rank system.

Oh, also I should be good to go on saturday. VanCleef or Wailing caverns.

Incidentally, what is the best way for horde to get to westfall?

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I'd just like to take this moment to say that quitting WoW meant never having to do Wailing Caverns again. That is a wonderful thing.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by calaban:
The mushroom vendor is a NPC at terran mill that can aggro into a fight. He is a civilian which means a DHK or dishonorable kill. A dhk results in a loss of honor, slowing your progression through the pvp rank system.

Oh, also I should be good to go on saturday. VanCleef or Wailing caverns.

Incidentally, what is the best way for horde to get to westfall?

I've heard of horde taking the blimp to stranglethorn and swimming. Next time I am on wow I will plot a course.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I know Pixiest is on board but right now it looks like we are doing Deadmines saturday morning.

Who is coming, and what time is good for all of you?

I was thinking 10:00am EST. My wife is leaving for work at 1:30pm EST for work until 7:00pm EST. That works for me too.

edit: BTW deadmines is a,(absolute lowest-absolute highest) 16-24 instance. Get in that range by saturday morning.

we could even do Wailing Caverns if you guys want afterwards, if people have the energy for it.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Guess I should do some grinding tonight on my mage so I'll be able to contribute some DPS (I'm only lvl 19.)

Hope it's more than just me and BB. You're all welcome to come if your'e in the right level range. You too, Lurkers!

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Well, it was a hoot this morning. Megan (not me, the other one) made out like a bandit (which is appropriate since she's a rogue) and a good time was had by all!

We went to Deadmines but ran out of gas just before the main boss. Then those of us who were left went over to RFC and cleared that again.

There was much lewt and many xps. I hope to see more of you next time (and during the week cuz you know, it's fun to play then too.)

Pix/Nefaria/Pernicia

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I really did make out like a bandit. In the words of Megan (not me, the other one), Deadmines is a leatherfest!

It was really tons of fun. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 60 Paladin on Uldum.

He's 100% leet.

3/8 Tier 2.

We one shotted Nef last night for the 1st time.

WOW is too cool.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Gratz Sun [Smile] one shotting Nef for the first time just feels awesome!
KarlEd
Member # 571

I got my first HK, but in an strangely accidental way.

I was trying to get on the blimp just outside of the Undercity and I saw this human just standing by the roadsign. It was such an unexpected sight I didn't stop moving and walked right up to her before realizing she wasn't Horde. She was "??" level and I was 26, but nevertheless she started to run. I shot at her with my wand and she stopped and shot a fireball back which took one third of my life in one shot. So I ran up to the blimp tower. She shot at me again and that apparently triggered the tower guards because they swooped down on her and took her out, but I got credit for the kill. [Big Grin]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
I got my first HK, but in an strangely accidental way.

I was trying to get on the blimp just outside of the Undercity and I saw this human just standing by the roadsign. It was such an unexpected sight I didn't stop moving and walked right up to her before realizing she wasn't Horde. She was "??" level and I was 26, but nevertheless she started to run. I shot at her with my wand and she stopped and shot a fireball back which took one third of my life in one shot. So I ran up to the blimp tower. She shot at me again and that apparently triggered the tower guards because they swooped down on her and took her out, but I got credit for the kill. [Big Grin]

I've tried doing that a few times, but I think I have only succeeded once [Big Grin] Gratz! Getting an HK for somebody who is ?? = more honor than killing somebody who is at comparable level. Also this might be interesting to you but its when it comes to PVP its MUCH easier to kill somebody who is say 5 lvls higher than you than it would be to kill a mob in a PVE situation 5 lvls higher than you.

So bear that in mind next time you see some guy who has 6-7 lvls on you, you just might want to ambush him and show him the worn sole of your shoe as you stamp it on his face [Cool]

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Yay Neredor! Did it really get your blood pumping?
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to join in on this. You guys are on Venture Company, hoard, right?

I seriously have no idea how I missed this before, I must have just totally spaced. I'm a little squeamish about the whole PVP thing (yeah, I'm a bluebie carebear or whatever you PVP meanies call us!) and I'd be -super- casual.

I'd like to try a shaman but if there's a specific class you guys could use to help out then I'm game for it. I've never leveled up a character past the 20s in WoW, but I've played a warlock, a mage, a priest, a warrior (I don't think that lasted long, I'm a little iffy on playing melee) an'...another mage on another server. I think that's it. The priest I leveled the most but I liked playing the warlock best.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by ladyday:
I'd like to join in on this. You guys are on Venture Company, hoard, right?

I seriously have no idea how I missed this before, I must have just totally spaced. I'm a little squeamish about the whole PVP thing (yeah, I'm a bluebie carebear or whatever you PVP meanies call us!) and I'd be -super- casual.

I'd like to try a shaman but if there's a specific class you guys could use to help out then I'm game for it. I've never leveled up a character past the 20s in WoW, but I've played a warlock, a mage, a priest, a warrior (I don't think that lasted long, I'm a little iffy on playing melee) an'...another mage on another server. I think that's it. The priest I leveled the most but I liked playing the warlock best.

I don't believe we have a druid, but out of all the other classes I think there is at least 1 person tackling it. We have several groups of people all of varying lvls. We have some people who are just on all the time, and we have a group of people who lvl during the week, reach a goal and hit and instance once a week. You are welcome to decide where you would fit in [Smile] The more the merrier.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

quote:
but its when it comes to PVP its MUCH easier to kill somebody who is say 5 lvls higher than you than it would be to kill a mob in a PVE situation 5 lvls higher than you.
It's also much easier to kill someone higher level than you if you're Horde than if you're Alliance. Alliance is used to having numbers on their opponents, while Horde is more used to fighting short handed. Catch an Alliance player alone, and he's going to have a harder time than a Horde player.

At least in my experience. YMMV.

Edit: Also, if the five level gap is over a benchmark level like 20 or 40 it's hard, because classes get such a boost then. A 17 v. 24 will be a harder fight than a 22 v. 29, and a 36 v 42 will be a lot tougher than a 42 v 48.

KarlEd
Member # 571

Ladyday,
I don't think it's a problem if you want to try a shaman. I'm currently the only one in the group that I know of, and if you're playing casually you may never catch up to him (and I, personally, don't think it's a problem if you did).

And casual playing should be fine. Certainly better than not joining us at all. I have no problem starting a new character to play along with you when you are online at the same time as me. I was thinking of starting a rogue. I've never played one of those before.

Let me know if/when you want to start a character and I'll join you if I can.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
quote:
but its when it comes to PVP its MUCH easier to kill somebody who is say 5 lvls higher than you than it would be to kill a mob in a PVE situation 5 lvls higher than you.
It's also much easier to kill someone higher level than you if you're Horde than if you're Alliance. Alliance is used to having numbers on their opponents, while Horde is more used to fighting short handed. Catch an Alliance player alone, and he's going to have a harder time than a Horde player.

Edit: Also, if the five level gap is over a benchmark level like 20 or 40 it's hard, because classes get such a boost then. A 17 v. 24 will be a harder fight than a 22 v. 29, and a 36 v 42 will be a lot tougher than a 42 v 48.

True story. (About the benchmark)
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
Should we try and get a WC run together? I have plans Fri/Sat but any other day would work.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I would love to go to WC or Deadmines again sometime this week. As long as its in the evening I could probably make it work.
KarlEd
Member # 571

I might be able to squeeze in a run this week. [Wink] Let me know what time you guys would like to do this.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Inspired by you all, I'm reinstalling the game.

Horde on Venture Co, right? Any specific requests as to class?

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

hmmm either a druid (none of those thus far), or another healer class (we have 1 priest I believe total).

Its wierd seeing a powerlvling service at the bottom of this page.

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

I can go druid to round out the group. Since you guys are hitting WC, you must be in the late teens, right? Just trying to gauge how much catching up I'll need to do.

I consider powerleveling and gold farming businesses weird in general.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

a group of us who run instances once a week nowadays are late teens. Some people are in their 20's some alts/people are just past 10.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I'm up for WC guys, just let me know and I'll be sure to be there.

Both my chars are in the low 20s.

The more hatrackers we can get the better. It's wonderful having everyone in guildchat!

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

Ok, I rolled a Tauren druid named "Reiplinger".

EDIT - lvl 6 and counting.

[ August 21, 2006, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Juxtapose ]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I'd like to set a tentative date for Tuesday evening for the WC's does that work for anybody?
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Tuesday works for me! (just like hookt ahn fanix)

It would have to start at 6PM Pacific time though. I'm frequently not home from work before then.

dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be in for a WC run tuesday. I'll try to get up to 20 before then, depending on how much you do, WC can be pretty demanding.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I was just about to start dropping hints about priests.

I can do 6 Tuesday.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Also, if the lower class is a melee class, they'll stand a better chance against a higher level player. Glancing blows in melee do partial damage, while most resists in PvP wind up being entirely resisted.

Got to see a great example of this when a 43 warrior (me) and two 42 paladins took down a warlord ranked 60 shaman in Arathi. Three times. It even managed to bump me from Rank 0 to Rank 1.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

Okee I'm about 90 percent through patching, heh...I am not positive what I'll be making but her name will be Verileah or something similar. I'll bug someone for an invite once I'm done screwing around with my UI (I'm kinda fussy about it :X)
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
*waves at ladyday*

[Smile]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I'm glad to see so many people jumping on the bandwagon.

It seems tuesday is not good for alot of people, so to give people more breathing room for lvling and a less stressful time actually running Wailing Caverns, its supposed to be fun anyway [Wink] I'd like to set a tentative date for thursday evening and say 8:00 EST. Thats 5:00pm Pacific.

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad news Ladyday... you'll get to patch even more (they just brought all the realms down for 1.12).
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Ladyday, let me know what race and I'll make a new one in that race, too and we can team up.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

quote:
Got to see a great example of this when a 43 warrior (me) and two 42 paladins took down a warlord ranked 60 shaman in Arathi.
I think it helped a lot that you had two twinktastic Pallies with you. Three warriors would have had a lot harder time.

Then again, the shammy in question could have just been awful. [Razz]

As an aside, fighting one-on-one my 52 hunter took down a few 60 rogues, mages, warlocks, and priests. I even took down a few dumb 60 pallies who took too long to heal themselves before I got off another crit.

Level doesn't matter quite as much as player ability in PvP - especially against a player who is used to PvE and the more predictable behavior of mobs. Given two players 5 levels apart, the better PvPer will win. Given a PvP specialist v. a PvE specialist ten levels higher, and the PvP specialist has a damn good chance.

ladyday
Member # 1069

I made an undead priest last night named Verileah, just to screw around with and jog my memory. I -might- stick with her but I'm a little antsy from playing so many dps classes :X. Then again, if you make a rogue the two of us would clean up nicely!

In any case, I think I prefer the look of undead and will stick with that if I decide to make another. The warlock is tempting me but I'm told undead priests on a PVP server are a heck of a lot of fun!

I'll log in later tonight and hopefully we can find each other.

KarlEd
Member # 571

I did say rogue, didn't I. Maybe I'll make another. Venture Co. was down when I logged on yesterday so I made a gnome rogue on a different server. Didn't much care for it, but I'm not sure if it was because it was rogue or because it was gnome. Anyway, I'll keep an eye out for Verileah tonight, if you're on. What level did you get her to?
ladyday
Member # 1069

Make the class you want to play! Priests match nicely with everything [Big Grin] . Verileah is level seven and I haven't taken her far from home.
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.