FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The REAL Battlestar Galactica Season 3 Discussion Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: The REAL Battlestar Galactica Season 3 Discussion Thread
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone besides me catch the Seinfeld reference in the second hour? I laughed at that because I really never expected a serious show to reference Seinfeld.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Kara never seemed like the mothering type to me. I really hope that she's using the child as an excuse to "fall in love" with the skin-job, and look for an opportunity to escape. She may have a maternal instinct, but I think she's one of the most patriotic fighters in the crew, and I don't think for a second she'll give up her husband for the creep keeping her hostage.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this episode going to be on iTunes today, like last season episodes were?
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I believe it will be. I haven't heard otherwise.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Why are the priests suddenly so evil? They seemed innocuous at best in season 2.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why are the priests suddenly so evil? They seemed innocuous at best in season 2.
Yeah, I was wondering that myself. They were my second favorite cylon model in season 2 (after Sharon), cause they were so sarcastic and cynical and seem relatively harmless. You know, not so much into the whole cylon religious war thing. Suddenly they're the one's with all the evil ideas and wanted to crack down. Wtf, mate?
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
The Priests are probably the leaders, or highest order of the skinjobs.
Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

I dunno, I'd gotten the impression that the Dorals were the highest order skin-job.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wish I had cable right now. iTunes still doesn't have it, and you guys talking about the first episode doesn't help. [Razz]
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Emule has it, with huge numbers of seeders, 30-80 for each episode. I'm sure it's on bit torrent too.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
pfresh - There was a "Seinfeld" reference? Oh well, I've never really seen the show...

Here's my dumb question for the evening - why are there no Leoben models in the President's council/office meetings? I mean, even Simon's there - why not Leoben? Is his model line too crazy to include in important decisions?

Do the model numbers relate to their importance - or status within the Cylon skin-job hierarchy? Because Doral's a Five, FWIW, and we don't know Cavil's number, though I was figuring it to be around Two.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

In the second sex scene between the Cylon priest and Tigh's wife, he asks her what happened to the pinch at the end and what it was that she did at the end instead. She said it was a swirl. This is a direct reference to the episode of Seinfeld where Jerry told someone about his "moves" which included a counter-clockwise swirl at the end. The guy he told it to did the same moves but changed it to a pinch at the end.
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I was impressed. I think the kid is Kara's, but I also have trouble accepting her maternal vibes. When he left the kid alone with her, I expected her to try and kill it. I like MightyCow's idea that it's a setup.

General Sax, I don't feel like getting into a big discussion about this because I'm sure we both know each other's arguments already. Suffice it to say that I do not agree with your assessment of the Iraqi war. While the parallel is obviously not exact, I think the show is exploring themes that are important and relevant.

And T_Smith, I now see what you were saying about Gaius. Before I thought you were saying that what Gaius had initially done on the first Caprica would become public knowledge. Now I get it and you're right. Although I could see them imprisoning him instead of putting him in exile.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

- posted      Profile for ReddwarfVII           Edit/Delete Post 
ARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! STUUUUPIIIDDD ITUNES! THOSE IDIOTS AT APPLE HAVE NOT POSTED THE DOWNLOAD YET!!!!!!!! WHY GOD WHY!!!!!!!!!!!?????????? HOW LONG MUST I WAIT!!!!!!!!

BTW, in case you missed, I'm kind of annoyed. Also I posted this without reading anything, so I have no idea what has happened. I read the bit about Sharon and that was it. I skipped everything elso. I really hope that I get to join the conversation soon.

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
It's freaky, how much the chief looks like Mario Savio.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

He doesn't really look like the picture wikipedia has of Mario Savio... least wise I didn't think so.
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
From your link:
quote:
Mario Savio's influence continues to be felt into the twenty-first century. A paraphrase of his famous "gears of the machine" speech appears in the March 2006 season 2 finale of Battlestar Galactica (2003). In a podcast about the episode, one of the producers revealed that the original speech had been hanging on his wall for the last five years, and that the paraphrase had been used with the permission of Savio's widow.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the kid is Kara's, but I also have trouble accepting her maternal vibes
To me it was believable, because she didn't show any caring toward the (tremendously adorable) child until the child got hurt. It wasn't the cuteness of the kid, or watching the kid play, that brought out the caring instinct -- it was seeing her hurt. (We found out earlier that Kara was often beaten as a child -- so she knows all about what it is like to be little, powerless, and in pain. I see her as a person who would want to protect little vulnerable children from suffering what she suffered.)
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Savio. It's it's not just a physical likeness, it's more of an aspect change. The cadence of the chief's speech has changed, as well as his bearing. It's like you can see Savio in him to an alarming degree.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Maybe it was just me, but didn't the kid seem a little too old to be Kara's? The kid looked older than 1.5-2 years old to me. I mean I'm just trying to think about this as far as the timeline of the show. If the kid had been born around the same time they found New Caprica, then she should be 1 year and 4 months old or so. If you assume that she was born before that (probably born shortly after Kara escaped that place), that still makes her around 2 or so (being generous, I think). I could be totally off in judging the little girl's age, but she just seems older than 2 to me.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Leoben took psychological warfare to a whole new level when he introduced Kasey.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I kept rooting for Kara to strangle Kasey. There would have been some interesting fallout from that.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flamingstick_onatoad
Member # 9785

- posted      Profile for Flamingstick_onatoad           Edit/Delete Post 
The real thread doesnt exsist...much like cats and self esteem of people on this forum. Except for me...im a narcissist...and FYODOR MIKHAILOVITCH DOESTOEVSKY!
Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

I'm with Theca. I was really hoping that the Cylon would come in and Kara would be eating the kid's feet on a dinner plate. It's a well-known fact that baby feet are a delicacy, so it's an important test to see if half-human, half-cylon baby feet are any good.

Also, where the heck did Lee get a freezer full of Bonbons? Was one of the ships an ice cream transport?

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else wondering why the Cylons are so hostile toward suicide bombing (aside from the obvious)? Is there something in the Cylon Doctrine against suicide?

IIRC, the only other suicide bombing on the show was Six blowing herself up on Cloud 9 at the end of the last season.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
"Also, where the heck did Lee get a freezer full of Bonbons? Was one of the ships an ice cream transport?"

Complete with jingle.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

They can't be that difficult to make, provided you have all the ingredients. The show has never been too specific on that. I could probably count the number of times food shortages were mentioned on a single hand.

Maybe they're tofu bonbons?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

quote:
IIRC, the only other suicide bombing on the show was Six blowing herself up on Cloud 9 at the end of the last season.
First season, a Doral blows himself up in the Galactica.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

Um. That too.

--j_k

ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

Okay, there's really no reason not to believe the kid is hers. Plus who the heck wants to see Kara kill the kid? WTF is wrong with you people? Yes, I think that Leoben is definately using psychological warfare to new heights with this move, but quite frankly I am rooting for the kid to be hers. It will give Starbuck a new dimension and somewhere to go with her character. She became very one dimensional and as she said on Caprica to Helo, she was just fighting because she didn't know how to do anything else. The kid, her family, gives her a reason to go on and to fight. A mother's instinct is very strong. That little girl is going to add a very interesting dimension to Starbuck. She'll become less of a risk taker. The lines between human and cylon are going to get blurry.

iTunes still does not have the eps, but yes it is on bit torrent. iTunes are idiots. No one is going to download them when they can get them for free instead. I won't be downloading this first two episodes. If they get their act together and start posting them on Saturday like they were, then I will buy. I don't like the file sharing tech. It opens you up too many viruses and such. BUT...if I have to wait a week until the ep comes online, then I will do daily virus scans if I have to. Someone frakked up bigtime here. They lost so much money this weekend. Idiots.

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm a sick person right now.

If these half human kids are so precious, why would they risk leaving one with Kara?

Although I've always wondered just WHY Sharon's kid was considered important in any way considering they had farms of women, and ovaries. There could be thousands of babies. And if Kasey isn't important I still don't see why the crazy Cylon would bother with the truth if Kara will fall for a lie. Lies are easier.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

I hope that the baby Kara is pretending to be motherly with is actually a full Cylon baby. Essentially a toy Cylon, made for the express purpose of duping humans and playing on their emotions. It seems like something the Cylons would do, to whatever strange ends they're working towards.

It also gives Kara a good reason to feast on its tender, young flesh.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PUNJABEE:
I don't think that kid is Kara's. I think it's Hera. The *actual* Human/Cylon hybrid that belongs to Boomer and Helo.

I bet you anything that Cylon that is 'married' to Kara (I can't remember his name.. Ethan?) is the one that threw the baby down the stairwell to get Kara to emote.

Leoben. And I don't think it's Hera. Leoben is too psyched about having a kid with Kara to lie about it.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
Did anyone besides me catch the Seinfeld reference in the second hour? I laughed at that because I really never expected a serious show to reference Seinfeld.

Um... no? What was it?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

@Lisa

quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
In the second sex scene between the Cylon priest and Tigh's wife, he asks her what happened to the pinch at the end and what it was that she did at the end instead. She said it was a swirl. This is a direct reference to the episode of Seinfeld where Jerry told someone about his "moves" which included a counter-clockwise swirl at the end. The guy he told it to did the same moves but changed it to a pinch at the end.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Theca:
Although I've always wondered just WHY Sharon's kid was considered important in any way considering they had farms of women, and ovaries.

My guess is because Sharon's was a child conceived naturally out of love. The Cylons seem to have a thing with trying to figure out love. At least they went on about it enough in the last season.

As for why they would put a child in the room with Starbuck, perhaps winning her over is very important and worth the risk. It is also possible that they were sure that she wouldn't hurt the child so they didn't see it as a risk.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't figure out why Starbuck wasn't more maternal before anyway. It was a beef I had with previous seasons in that it just doesn't make sense to me that there wouldn't have been an enormous shift of cultural priority with regard to children and childbearing. Seriously, if you know that there are only 50,000 humans left in the entire universe, it only stands to reason that the "experts" would be making a strong push for valuing children and childbearing almost more than adults. That there would almost become a worshipful quality to being pregnant, and that children and women in their childbearing years would be the most protected section of society. I would have thought that even among the military ranks, women would be under tremendous pressure to have children, lots of them, even if they didn't want to raise them themselves.

Yet in an episode in season 2 there was debate over whether abortion should continue to be allowed, and Roslin upheld it (if I remember right). Hunh? Anyway, aside from that, with Starbuck being married for over a year, and seeing everyone else having kids, I'd be very, very much surprised if she didn't harbor at least a little hunger to be a mommy, even if her tough-girl exterior couldn't quite allow her to admit it out loud. I found her anguish at Kasey's injury believable...I didn't find her reaching out for Leoben's hand believable at all.

Great episode. This is going to be a fun season. [Smile]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Can it be called a suicide bombing when the Cyclons get downloaded into a new body?
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

I don't think Six on Cloud 9 was downloaded -- this was long after the Resurrection Ship was destroyed, after all.

--j_k

Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Roslin outlawed abortion, though she did so after she allowed the girl who appeared in the episode to have one.

I think Kara will put Kasey on her team and use it as an excuse to believably be on the cylons' side. Remember his vision about her saying she loved him? I think it's an excuse to be able to convince him she's in love with him when she really isn't.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

http://www.battlestargalacticasite.com/2006/10/bsg_to_nbc_can_it_survive.php

BSG may move to NBC at 9. Not a good idea in my opinion. I fear a shift to NBC primetime, not "good enough" ratings, and then cancellation. I hope it stays where it is.

PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

Hmm... I dont know how I would feel about BSG moving to NBC... I think it should stay on Sci-Fi.

Though, if it went to NBC - I'd get it in HD. So naturally I'm torn.

PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

Cool video.

BSG Vs Star Wars.

Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Boo. They definitely couldn't show the scene between Tigh's wife and the cylon if it moves off cable to network.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

Personally, I wouldn't mind losing some of the racier elements of the show, but beyond that, a move to NBC would mean death for BSG. Then again, the ending scene of Heroes on Monday was pretty graphic. So maybe not. However, being on Scifi is definately hurting BSG's ratings. Not enough people are seeing it and taking it seriously.
Alcon
Member # 6645

Maybe it could play on both... *wishful thinking*
Lisa
Member # 8384

It's been done before. The show Psych ran on USA this summer, and after an episode or two, they started running it on NBC (or CBS, I forget) as well.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/10/10/will-battlestar-galactica-make-a-jump-to-nbc/

Looks like NBC is now saying it's just an online rumor. I can only hope that they're telling the truth and not just covering it up.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Note before I comment:

I have not watched one full episode of BSG.

Not because I think it is unworthy, but because I'm trying to cut down on my addicitions, and BSG can quickly become an addiction.

But from what I've read here, the heavilly religious tones of the story, does anyone forsee a possible Abraham/Isaac moment in the near future. Starbuck told to Kill the halfbreed child, but stopped at the last minute by some kind of divine, or internal, angelic influence?

Just a thought.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
BSG has been show a few different times on NBC, mostly as one shots when they need time to fill. So has Monk. I doubt they'll move it, but it was a good way to get the show in front of more people.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.