FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The REAL Battlestar Galactica Season 3 Discussion Thread (Page 5)

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: The REAL Battlestar Galactica Season 3 Discussion Thread
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Removed.

--j_k

[ October 25, 2006, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, since when is it okay to share copyrighted material on Hatrack? You can buy a legal copy for $1.99 on iTunes, and support the show's creators in the process.
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll remove it.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
What'd I miss?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
He could show you but then he'd have to remove you.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Wah.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
WooHoo, I'm a Number 6 model - "Passionate, ruthless, unshakeable in your faith and impossible to ignore."
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
Intro for "The Office" redone with BSG Intro music.

Never seen an episode of "The Office" but hear its pretty funny that video clip was pretty cool.

Can't wait till Friday to get my BSG fix!

** edited cause I found the song I was looking for **

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
It's NOT on the amazon soundtracks?

I hope you're wrong becuase I just ordered them today!

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

No, it is on the Season 2 soundtrack I just checked...sorry I edited my post so that people didn't get confused.
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
huzzah!
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Who does the BSG theme? Is that Dead Can Dance?
B34N
Member # 9597

Richard Gibbs - The one you hear every show and I think he also did the original that was int eh miniseries and the first season US version. The one that we all hear now was originally the opening music for the UK version. Unless the ones that I download on iTunes are completely different than the ones that you all watch on SciFi every Friday????
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

- posted      Profile for ReddwarfVII           Edit/Delete Post 
So what? Nothing to talk about this episode? The silence on the board is deafening. I have not seen it yet and I am downloading it now from iTunes.
Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was great, largely because of how Roslin handled the situation. I didn't see it coming, but it was pure grace in every sense of the word.

I do wonder if Zarek is going to get his promised position after all.

I don't know what to make of the previews. I'm really hoping we get some understanding of what is driving the cylons. I still don't really understand why they invaded New Caprica. And a pursuit of Earth is just as incomprehensible to me.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

I am just surprised that no one has commented on this ep yet.
Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a good episode but they made it on the cheap. I wanted a decent space fight of some kind. I want to see Starbuck and Lee slough off the rust...

Adama's comment... Keep jumping... was classic. Things look more crowded then ever. It would be nice if they could build a few decent sized transports.

The old series had a number of encounters with human settlements, I suppose they will get to that point evenually but with the Cylon's trailing behind they will be the bearers of bad news.

The series could bog down baddly if we have many more episodes where the focus is all like this. However one is good. I do hope the fleets problems begin to yeild to solid solutions developed by the best in mankind.

A good series understands that you have to keep bringing it back from the edge and stay on the core story line, it was a long way that they went out so it was a long way back, I just hope we are back now.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sticking with the series for no other reason than to see Roslin and Adama hold hands. Those two belong together. I want them to grow old and raise a civilization together.

[ October 28, 2006, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Tom Zarek was better than that. I was extremely disappointed in his decision to create the "secret jury." I would like him to maintain a position within the Fleet's government, but with his willingness to, as Roslin put it, take away Colonial rights on a whim doesn't leave me much hope.

Also, I'm really really really glad Gaeta didn't kick the bucket - or dog dish, as it were. [Smile]

And Blanders is gone! YAY! Let the rejoicing commence!

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

Yeah it was a really good episode but I agree they need more space battles, even though they don't have much to work with. It'd be nice to add a new warship to the fleet int he couple episodes but I don't really see it happening.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Last week's episode had really great battle scenes with ships, etc. They had to save some money somewhere. [Smile]
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
"I don't know what to make of the previews. I'm really hoping we get some understanding of what is driving the cylons. I still don't really understand why they invaded New Caprica. And a pursuit of Earth is just as incomprehensible to me."

Two things, really.

First, they have consciousness, and in having such, desire freedom. In their complete differences and past history, the cylons figured they would never be able to live hand in hand with humans. So they attacked and established dominance.

Then there was the reformation of their ideals, put into place by Boomer and Caprica 6 with the idea that human and cylon could live together in the hopes that through their mercy they would see the light, and believe in the one true Cylon God. However, there was too much history between both groups, and we saw how that went.

Second, they obviously have the upper hand, so what they are currently doing is protective of future cylons. Should they find Earth, word will be passed down through generations of the big bad cylons, and eventually, humans would go looking for them.

Least, this is how I interpreted things.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

Guys, guys, guys, good drama isn't about big bad space battles all of the time. It's about pathos, humanity at it's best and worst. This episode was about that. There are major after effects from the occupation that will affect how the fleet and the characters react to future events. I love the dichotomy of Zarek ordering the secret jury and Roslin giving a full pardon to everyone else. I can completely understand both of their positions.

I hope that they find some new source of supplies, but I hope that they don't start running into human colonies. This is great because they are not doing what we expect them to do.

Sounds like from the previews that the race is on to find earth. It would be interesting to see the cylons make it there first and get blown away...or something.

ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

One thing to think about, Roslin just issued a full pardon to everyone. That includes Baltar.
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. Her specific words were, "Every human in the fleet." Baltar is no longer in the fleet.

I was pretty excited about Roslin's announcement. Not only did she pardon everyone, she set up Truth and Reconciliation hearings, like in South Africa after apartheid. An amazing (and unique) event in history, as far as I'm aware.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I echo Irami, except I feel that way about Lee and Kara. Or Apollo and Starbuck. Not sure which of the personalities match best, but I love the two of them.

Except Lee does have to keep jumping. A LOT.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I did love the episode. We don't NEED another space battle for the next few episodes, last week was enough. I'm... full. For that WAS the best space battle I've ever seen. Or at least the most emotional.

I love how beaten up the Galactica looks. It looks like crap, really. Did I actually see holes in the hull? Eesh, the ship is really damaged. It'll take awhile to fix. The CIC is still being repaired. Everything's damaged.

They've lost ships, and so more people are now living in the Galactica. The place FEELS so much more crowded, which makes sense. That alone is enough to create a new feeling.

Things have gone back finally, but not the way normal shows do: Nothing is the same, it feels different, it will never be anything BUT different. As one episode name says, "You can't go home again."

I really want to see what happens to Baltar now. It wasn't as simple as I thought it'd be before watching this episode. The previews give a good look of what's ahead for the guy.

Did somebody say "Cylon Detector" again? lol

This episode was as intense dramatically as the previous episode was intense in action. It matched the previous episode in energy... only now the energy was personal, not battle energy.

The "Second Exodus" is what it's being called now. This is an interesting phrasing, and something I expect will continue on, calling this the Exodus. This is the sort of thing legends are made of! lol And I hope they use it the way they seem to be using it.

I don't know how things will happen next. Things are going to be tense for awhile. A really LONG while.

Also, I don't feel they strayed from their main premise so much as shifted the way real life shifts. They aren't doing what normal shows do... they're going with the lives of these people, wherever they go towards. And so, things don't go back. They never will. Galactica is crowded with civilians now, they have more fighters now than they ever had before, they've lost Pegasus, Kara is brokenish, Tye is broken and, I think, is not gonna survive the season. Gaeta won't be welcomed back as well as we all hope. Tyrol is much more strained, and is married to... gah, I forget her name. they have a son, that's gonna change things. Dualla and Lee are MARRIED and are gonna stay that way, it seems.

The fleet has been damaged greatly, resources have been terribly depleted.

Speaking of which, they're back to listing the number of people again. Which I think is totally awesome, that now that they're back on the ship, the opening has changed back. Though it's still different.

41,315 or so... My God they've lost a lot of people. And yet they've lost even more ships, so they're much more crowded. Things aren't going well, but they're better than they used to be. Tension will continue. Things aren't going to get a whole lot better anytime soon.

In comparison, they were practically doing WELL back in the first season, and even super during the second, when they had Pegasus with its onboard factories.

Now... things are darker than ever. They need to find Earth soon, as I don't think they can sustain such a search for all THAT much longer at this rate. Something new and unexpected needs to happen, but I don't know what it is. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
Now... things are darker than ever. They need to find Earth soon, as I don't think they can sustain such a search for all THAT much longer at this rate. Something new and unexpected needs to happen, but I don't know what it is. [Big Grin]

A new Battleship! [Big Grin]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
They are far away from Colonial Space now way off the deep end, its like sailing in a Battlecruiser in 19th century with only 10% of the world explored.

To add additional ships would require that they stumble upon some ancient archaic arms depot somewhere but as the finding of Kobal has shown it is doubtful tht any Kobolian, or COlonial installations exist anywhere for them to resupply and find a new Battlestar.

Earth or some new alien race is their only hope now.

However I highly doubt that they will find any alien races, this show has been focused completely and utterly on humanity and human interactions, even the Cylons appear human, an alien race probly would be a distraction.

So it is Earth then that they need to find.

And pls let it be year 2100+!!!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
Some possible sources of new ship would be

A: a human settlement ship, lost in space, a 'haunted ship' episode, Their is a description in the Ben Bova book Saturn of a ship several kilometers long and cylindrical that spins to create artificial gravity. The dozen square miles of interior surface could be wildly overgrown with some primitive people, the fleet could move in to install an FTL, it would be awsome...

B: a captured Base Star, perhaps a wounded one...

C: an alien civilization ship...

D: a stop to hollow out a few nickle iron asteroids and install FTL drives (Incidentally providing repair material for the Galactica)

E: a Colonial exploration ship, that broke down for some reason...

Also I would like to point out that If the Cylon's reach Earth first, with Baltar to guide them they are likely to play a more subtle game, passing for human and bringing the gift of high tech, hacking the Internet and subsuming the information therein they would come to the US or the UK or Japan where they would judge the technology to be the most advanced. They would find monotheistic humans that would be grateful for a solution to problems of energy and pollution. Countries that might welcome robotic foot soldiers to replace human troops on foreign soil. In a few generations the Cylon plan could lead to the Cylon's being in control of the hearts and mind of all the middle east, as the US outsources the war, and in that time they might begin a cyborg style take over of the west, coaxing people into an ever more intimate dependence on machines.

Anyway the Galactica, filled with poor desperate backward Pagans might find itself less then welcome...

[ October 29, 2006, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: General Sax ]

Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

They could come in the current time but let it be to the Stargate SG1 universe! Where Earth has FTL and ships but they are secret, let Kobol be a lost Ancient outpost!

[ October 29, 2006, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: General Sax ]

General Sax
Member # 9694

It does suggest a possibility, the Fleet parks in orbit above Earth, they make contact with the US (since we, by chance, use the exact same military protocols, weapons and acronyms) and in exchange for defending the planet against the Cylon's, upgrading our military technology, and jump-starting our space program we grant them shore leave, visa's and integrate them into our country. We beef up the fleet, rearm the Galactica and start on our own Battlestar while using the combined leverage of the Galactica for a stick and Colonial tech as a carrot to bring NATO on board.

With big brother working for us we impose a de facto hegemony (go your own way up to this point, then we stop you) and we meet the Cylon's with fortress Earth...

It would be especially fun to end our dependence on fossil fuels and watch the middle east shrivel up and die from anemia.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
300 MAC cannons!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

Of course we could teach them a thing or two, for example we could show them how to make ordinance 'drop safe' and how to spot that handy fiber optic linkage in the forearm instead of a blood test.
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

quote:
Originally posted by Miro:
Nope. Her specific words were, "Every human in the fleet." Baltar is no longer in the fleet.

Good catch. I missed that.

You know, I am really having a hard time buying into the idea that BSG is going to show up in Earth's orbit and it be in the same techological stage that we are in right now. That just does not seem to fit within the mythology of this version of Galatica. I'm just not seeing it. I do agree with Megabyte, they need to SOMEWHERE that will give them a chance to do some major resupply. I can't see how the fleet is going to last for years and stay ahead of the cylons in their current state. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of them running into another human colony or even another fleet. Say a BSG situation, but had the advantage that the cylons were not aware of them. As for another human colony, you can't tell me that this is the first time in their history that a group of people have went looking for earth. What about pre-cylon wars era space exploration. They've the tech to travel in space for awhile now, even if FTL itself is a new discovery. Who's to say that some group of explorers didn't leave the colonies some time ago to explore and maybe find earth?

B34N
Member # 9597

They could set it up that the BSG survivers reach earth many hundreds of years ago our time??? Say during the day of the greek gods and that's how the idea of hte greek and roman gods come into existence??? Doubtful they'll go that track but a thought I had.
General Sax
Member # 9694

We know that the constilations as seen from Earth have their classic names so we can infer that the last contact dates to that era, it seems that the assumption is that things are contemporary in the current show. There is no Long Long ago in the story as told in this version. It is just impossible to integrate the core story into an arrival at Earth. It becomes a new thing all together.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Then again, that is what they have done a couple of times already. [Big Grin]

A new thing indeed.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

"You wouldn't like her when she's angry". That just tickled me.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Yes. That was great fun.

I agree with Kwea. This show keeps becoming a new thing altogether. This whole Exodus thing has changed everything. And the feel of the show has also changed. In a good way!

A new thing indeed. This is true 21st century television. I hope even better stuff comes in the future.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Things look more crowded then ever. It would be nice if they could build a few decent sized transports.
As stated before, it's so much more crowded because they lost so many ships, either destroyed in the Cloud 9 blast or on New Caprica. And they can't build any more large ships because they don't have the resources nor the factories to do so. They might be able to construct a shipyard and use asteroids but that would take a LONG time... and time means the loss of food/water/air/fuel. They would need to find a place to base with all those available, something like New Caprica. They can't afford to wait around while the Cylons are on the hunt.

I really liked this episode. It answered some important questions about how Roslin gets back into power and the scars left by the trama of New Caprica. And I like to see that the characters are not flat but round...as mentioned before...that's just life. I know that I've changed from the experiances in my life.

I'm also thrilled to see Baltar in the Cylon world at last! I liked the habitable area he was in, so different from the bio-mechanical core of a Basestar. Hope they show the command center soon. There was also a Resurrection-class ship in that little Cylon fleet...could this be their main fleet? Only seven capital ships, seems pretty small. I imagine their entire fleet is spread out all over the quadrant at this point looking for resources and the RTF. And that's assuming they really have abandoned the Twelve Colonies AND their Homeworld.

Did you guys hear all that liquid sound, like blood pumping, in Baltar's room? [Cool]

[ October 31, 2006, 06:02 AM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Oooooo... just under a day till the new episode!
The path to Earth is near!!

ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

In the preview, did all you catch Baltar asking head six if he was a cylon? Funny, but is it a joke? Hmmmmmmmm....
jeniwren
Member # 2002

I caught that, but I'm sure it's just a head game they are playing with him. Or a head game the writers are playing with us. I can't think of a plausible reason why Baltar would be a cylon and lots of reasons why he, of all the characters in the show, couldn't possibly be.

Besides, he's way, way more interesting a character as a human.

ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

I agreed, but it wouldn't be the first time that they have thrown us a curve ball.
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
What I want to know is what happened to Head Baltar. I personaly really enoyed it when he first appeared to Caprica Six near the end of season 2, and while I recognize that he is a device that is likely best used sparingly, I hope the writers can find an interesting way to bring him back this season.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Agreed, Friday.

It's amazing how these actors do it:

Not just play one complex character, but multiple complex characters who all have, essentially, the same name and look. Baltar's just... Baltar. But Head Baltar is so different, yet recognizable.

Six... the many faces of Six. lol, there are so very many. Adn each one is distinct in my head. "Head Six." "Generic Season One Caprica Six" "Caprica" "Gina" and "Generic Sixes"

And with Boomer too: "Boomer" (original one) "Sharon Agathon" and the random other "Threes"

I applaud these actors and their skills. They are actually pretty darn good at this. It must be very difficult, making them all distinct. But not too distinct, and even the other characters have trouble with it, which is good.

Now I'm just waiting the minutes for the new episode.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it a lot. I really liked the dual ending, and the different paths each person takes. It just reaffirms my opinion that this is the best hour of television on any network.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

I predicted the derelict base-star, of course I made it a range of possibilities but still, a good prediction...

Nice to see the abs of Lee again, if only I could get back in shape so fast...

We can assume that an ancient artifact that looks like it was salvaged from a Star Trek episode (sterilize... sterilize...) was not deliberately meant to kill off Cylons. So how does it accidentally do so? Is it (cliché alert) transmitting a computer virus? It seems like the Cylon's would have the edge in that area.

What is Baltar thinking, surely he has to know he was taking images as he went, but what about the ability to crush a 6's neck with one hand while angered... Cylon strength?

I expected Tie to be finished, it is clear the man used himself up. He knows it, so does everyone else. Time to make Lee the XO, how is he not already?

Another great show but honestly I cannot wait for this season on DVD so I can do this in an all day concentrated format, the delays are murder...

General Sax
Member # 9694

One thing that really must be tough for these actresses is all the skin scenes, three years in top physical condition is murder, and they are looking at it for years to come, I hope they have a few months down time to vegge out.

I am thinking of Sharon and her naked tai-chi, but then who isn't...

[ November 04, 2006, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: General Sax ]

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.