FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Official BSG Season 4 Discussion Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: The Official BSG Season 4 Discussion Thread
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
Good episode. It was definitely the FIRST episode of the season, so nothing huge was resolved.

For some reason, I keep thinking that they're going to make it to Earth, but it will be Earth in the past. They'll find a severely-depleted "13th tribe" of humans 10,000 years ago who don't remember their origin.

They'll make plans to slowly integrate within the current population, and the final episode will have a guy named Jason who comes out of stasis evey so often to move human development forward. [Wink]

It would explain the whole reason why their gods have the same name as the Greek/Roman pantheon.

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It would explain the whole reason why their gods have the same name as the Greek/Roman pantheon.
Hard to say. On the one hand, I'd think that the ancient Greeks are the leftovers of their old ways, and that they actually got to Earth however many thousand years ago, but that since then Earth has moved on. But I'd find it hard to believe that Earth's technology isn't pretty close to theirs. After all, they used FTL and/or other space faring technology to get to Earth didn't they?

I think they are going to arrive at an alternate Earth from what we have, obviously, but it's hard to say what condition they'll be in. I think they will be technologically advanced, maybe even more so than the Cylons, but I think the biggest question will be what sort of religion do they have? Will they worship the 12 gods? One God? Or something else? They've been removed from the collective influence of the other worlds for thousands of years, it's impossible to say what direction they've taken since then. That'll be very interesting. It'd be sweet if they arrived and there were a dozen Battlestars in orbit around Earth ready to face off with the Cylons.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

I thought of the idea when Starbucks future hubby was in the parking garage on Caprica, trying to blow up the cafe.

There was a really ugly Citroen automobile in the background, and I thought: why would two completely different and unrelated planets create the same car, which is second in uglieness only to the PT Cruiser?
[Confused]

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
What about the Jimi Hendrix?
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean Bob Dylan?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Sweet William:
I thought of the idea when Starbucks future hubby was in the parking garage on Caprica, trying to blow up the cafe.

There was a really ugly Citroen automobile in the background, and I thought: why would two completely different and unrelated planets create the same car, which is second in uglieness only to the PT Cruiser?
[Confused]

Does this mean that you've never seen the Element or the Scion? Boxes on wheels.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

What about the Jimi Hendrix?

You mean Bob Dylan?

Exactly! Same deal. All of this has happened before. [Wink]

Lisa
Member # 8384

My question is whether I should be concerned about Tova. We've been spending the day cleaning for Pesach, and we came across this drawing she did. She has never seen BSG. So the question is, should we take this as an indication of an aptitude as a fighter pilot?

Also... a Jewish Cylon?

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I was thinking about the final Cylon at work today.

I've heard a few different guesses, including Roslin, Lee Adama, and Admiral Adama, as the final Cylon model. But wouldn't they have heard the music at the same time as the other four? I'd been thinking maybe it was Roslin becuase she was on Colonial One when the music was playing, so she wouldn't have met up with them in the room with the other four, but I think she WAS on Galactica at the time, in CnC with Adama. I don't see why four of them would have heard the music and not the fifth, unless the final model is uber special, I think it means the fifth model wasn't on Galactica at the time.

I can't wait until next week when we can see what the heck is going on from the Cylon's point of view.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Forgot about Zimmerman...
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It'd be sweet if they arrived and there were a dozen Battlestars in orbit around Earth ready to face off with the Cylons.
Is it wrong of me to be provincially proud of the possibility that, when the Colonials and the Cylons do arrive at Earth, they find a place positively filled to the brim with aggressive, hostile, irritated, and very good at warfare Earthlings?

Heh. "You call that a war? You're a bunch of frakin' pansies! We've been fightin' nonstop ever since we got here!"

Y'know, kinda like Earth [Wink]

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Anyone in the mood for some SPOILERS?

Warning, only read if you really want to know tiny tidbits of what happens. Most of these are kind of cool, though I'll admit there's one I wish I hadn't read, though now it REALLY has me wondering who'll be involved.

S P O I L E R S
First off, Ron Moore has said that the final Cylon is NOT seated in this photo.

Galactica will find earth, and sources say a scene has been filmed on-set already with ruins on it.

Lee will take a position in Roslin's Administration.

Nana Visitor (Colonel Kira from DS9) will be guest starring in episode 6 as "an acolyte with cancer who challenges Roslin's faith." I think that means an acolyte of Baltar's.

It's been suggested (I got all of these from EW) that they'll find Earth sooner than expected. Remember from Razor the Hybrid said "Kara Thrace will lead the human race to its end. She is the herald of the apocalypse, the harbinger of death. They must not follow her." I'm wondering if that means they don't follow her, they go Roslin's way, and find Earth anyway.

On Starbuck: "Expect for Kara to see a lot of time in the brig, then find refuge on a ship called Demetrius. As for her future, creator Ron Moore teased to Cinema Blend, "There are similarities [and] connections between Starbuck and Baltar."

A new Number Six, Natalie (Tricia Helfer) is "different from the other Sixes we've dealt with in that she's a bit more assertive as well as authoritative and not afraid to take charge," Moore told Starburst magazine. The Cylons grow more divided, and Natalie will be one of the agents of conflict.

though the Quorum (a sort-of Senate for the Colonies) and President Roslin's administration will come into play again, expect this season to be less political.

This season, as the Cylons splinter over the Final Five, the old-school "Toasters" may be at odds with the humanoid models -- three of whom (same gender) will be completely wiped out.

Last we saw Number Three, aka D'Anna Biers (Lucy Lawless), the model was deemed flawed and then "boxed," or deactivated. But Three is unboxed around Episode 10; bet she'll have something important to say about what she saw in the Temple of Five and about the last Cylon.

The Executive Officer, cranky Col. Tigh (Michael Hogan), was revealed to be one of four new Cylon models, along with Anders, Chief Tyrol and presidential aide Tory. Look for them to deal with the revelation in different ways: Tigh lives in denial, Tory embraces it, Tyrol rationalizes, while Anders finds his darker side.

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmm, good old BSG. The beginning firefight was *awesome*, years of slightly anemic Stargate and Enterprise/Voyager have somewhat made me forget how cool a truly close quarters furball can look, especially where one cares about the characters. Woo!

I also loved the fake-out assassination with Tigh, the camera, the music, and the delivery was just delightful.

But with the final five/one, man, I really hope they're going somewhere with the whole mythology of BSG. They've played their cards so close to the chest that its not particularly easy to see if they're making stuff up as they go alone like X-Files, albeit *really* well, or if they really have stuff planned out. Even in Babylon 5, there were "check-points" if you will, to see give partial reveals that are consistent with what happened in the past, but this is just frustrating, which means it could either be just really (really) good TV or a complete home-run out of the metaphorical TV park.

(The current TV drought may be amplifying my enthusiasm a bit)

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the warning, Lyrhawn; much appreciated.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

- posted      Profile for ReddwarfVII           Edit/Delete Post 
One possiblity that we should be considering is that Kara is a plant. Leoban is the one that told her that she was going to find Earth. Add to the stuff that her mother told her. Kara could have been taken by the heavy raider, brainwashed into thinking that she had actually found Earth and then put back there by the cylons inplanted with false memories and a specific set of orders to kill Roslin. Then, lead the fleet to its doom. They are using her to lead the fleet to false coordinates so that the fleet can wipe them out.

At least that was the plan until the final four were activated. It looks like with the raider's identification of Anders, it's a whole new ball game. If you watch that part of the ep carefully, it looks like the Raider does a retna scan and identifies Anders as a cylon. Now why didn't do this sooner or why didn't D'anna, Caprica, and Boomer recognize him in the parking garage on Caprica? Good question, but I would bet it has something to do with when he became self aware. Started putting out a signal or something. The other cylons can specifically identify another cylon (ie D'anna recognizing Athena), but why? Beside the human senses, I think that what we have gleened so far is that cylons have another built in method for recognition.

Still, the final five are definately something different. RM said in an interview last year that the five are fundamentally different from the other seven. The D'anna model obviously believes that they are higher beings. She referred to seeing their faces as looking at the face of God.

Hmmm.........so many questions.

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Beside the human senses, I think that what we have gleened so far is that cylons have another built in method for recognition.
Wi-Fi for Cylons?....Cy-Fi?
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[I read on the sci-fi message boards and I agree that] Starbuck is now a servant or messanger of the Lords of Kobol/Beings of Light. RDM [has been rumored to have] said she was a super human of sorts.

[edit for clarity]

[ April 07, 2008, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
If Cylons have a built-in method for recognition, then Athena's Cydar is broken.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Telperion the Silver:
Starbuck is now a servant or messanger of the Lords of Kobol/Beings of Light. RDM said she was a super human or sorts.

But I thought the hybrid in Razor said that Starbuck would "lead humanity to its end, the apocalypse..."

(I just watched Razor yesterday.)

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
quote:
Starbuck is now a servant or messanger of the Lords of Kobol/Beings of Light. RDM said she was a super human or sorts.

But I thought the hybrid in Razor said that Starbuck would "lead humanity to its end, the apocalypse..."

Telp, I haven't seen that and I have read quite a few interviews with RDM. If you have a reference, post it. I would like to see that myself.

Starbucks role this season is definately being set up as either prophetess or anti-christ. Either she will lead them to Earth or she will lead them to their doom. Maybe both. One thing I'm just not sure about is whether or not the cylons are playing the fleet in regards to Kara. Like I said, so many questions.

[ April 07, 2008, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: ReddwarfVII ]

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
If Cylons have a built-in method for recognition, then Athena's Cydar is broken.

Maybe not. Caprica has this general feeling that the five are close. Maybe Athena does too, but not knowing what they look like, why would she assume that Anders, Tyrol, etc are cylons? It seems that whatever recognition system/sense that the human models have, it would be more of a passive system whereas the system built into the mechanical models is very active.

Case in point, the centurion models and the raiders definately have a Cy-Fi [Wink] that is active and functioning (the mini-series established that), but the human models must not have that because they have to physically connect to the data stream through some type of hard connection like touching a data terminal, plugging something into their arm, etc. Like when Athena plugged that wire into her arm and shut down all of the raiders in one of the earier eps. If she had access to a Cy-fi network, why would she have had to do that? Also, the centurions can't tell the human models apart. Why? Because the human models do not have an active wireless networking ability. It is all passive. Just one of the natural limitations of being human.

That is why the mechs can recognize a human cylon versus a regular human, they can pick up the passive signal, because it is the same biological signature for all of the human models. I would bet it has to do with how the bioelectrical signals work within the human cylon central nervous system. You know, how their spine glows red when they are all hot and bothered.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:

All the Cylons were broken then, remember they had access to most of the Final Four on New Caprica.

It was only after the activation at the Ionian Nebula that the Cylons are able to feel the Final Five, the Raider "scanning" Anders and Caprica Six sensing them as she said to Laura.

[oops, didn't see you get this one already Reddwarf]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
quote:

This is where I get the theory that the apocalypse of the Human race is the (forced?) merging/interbreeding of Man and Cylon to form a new bloodline/race. Neither original lines will survive in the same form since they will be blended.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

The way I understand it when it comes to the Cy-fi network Reddwarf has is down. Each modle can syncronize if it chooses with it's line or even with the larger Cylon collective data bank/data stream for all to access. But it's not forced, and an individual can avoid sharing with the others if they want.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
quote:
It'd be sweet if they arrived and there were a dozen Battlestars in orbit around Earth ready to face off with the Cylons.
Is it wrong of me to be provincially proud of the possibility that, when the Colonials and the Cylons do arrive at Earth, they find a place positively filled to the brim with aggressive, hostile, irritated, and very good at warfare Earthlings?

Heh. "You call that a war? You're a bunch of frakin' pansies! We've been fightin' nonstop ever since we got here!"

Y'know, kinda like Earth [Wink]

This is the optimal outcome I am hoping for, nothing makes me swell with pride more then to see a moderately advanced and successful Earth, andromeda for example I never got into seeing Earth deemed a slave planet of no strategic importance kinda ruins it for me.

If they arrive at earth and its been glassed I am going to be upset.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

quote:
The way I understand it when it comes to the Cy-fi network Reddwarf has is down. Each modle can syncronize if it chooses with it's line or even with the larger Cylon collective data bank/data stream for all to access. But it's not forced, and an individual can avoid sharing with the others if they want.

Whereas the mechs don't have a choice. They are still pure machines that are programmed. If they detect a signal, they connect to it and then follow the orders they receive.

Hey, hey! Telp, you are on to something. When the raider scanned Anders did the entire fleet bug out just because they discovered the five are in the fleet? Or did Anders subconsiously transmit new orders that the raiders and the fleet followed. Based on the way D'anna reacted to the five in her vision(?), I would assume that they are have higher authority than the other seven.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah, but D'anna was boxed, so how much do the others really care about that authority?
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
So... assuming that it hadn't been a hallucination and Tigh really had killed Adama, who does that leave in charge of Galactica? Lee is retired, and already had his lackluster shot at command, Starbuck is suspect in too many ways... Athena is a Cylon.

Who does that leave, Helo?

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Probably Helo...but I wouldn't be surprised if Lee came back. He'd be the only other person in the fleet who had commanded a Battlestar, when he was in charge of Pegasus. Under those extrodinary circumstances, I think Lee would have come back. Either way Athena is a junior officer, even if she wasn't a Cylon she wouldn't have taken command of the ship. Dee and Gaeda don't really have command or tactical experience. It'd be Helo or Apollo, and I think it would've been Apollo.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
Hey, hey! Telp, you are on to something. When the raider scanned Anders did the entire fleet bug out just because they discovered the five are in the fleet? Or did Anders subconsiously transmit new orders that the raiders and the fleet followed. Based on the way D'anna reacted to the five in her vision(?), I would assume that they are have higher authority than the other seven.
They probably do have higher authority...but I don't think they are wired into the main body of the Cylon network...so I doubt Anders did anything...probably the Raider recognized him as one of the activated Final Five, transmitted the information, and the rest retreated automatically.

I think the humanoid modles have no idea why their forces did that...and that is going to cause some major problems for the Consensus.

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Yeah, but D'anna was boxed, so how much do the others really care about that authority?

I got the impression that they respected it, but also feared it and just wanted to keep the five buried. The idea that the five have some authority that transcends that of the other models certainly fits what we've seen of their behavior so far.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
Originally posted by Architraz Warden:
So... assuming that it hadn't been a hallucination and Tigh really had killed Adama, who does that leave in charge of Galactica? Lee is retired, and already had his lackluster shot at command, Starbuck is suspect in too many ways... Athena is a Cylon.

Don't forget Kelly. Don't know if he's still in the brig but he's 3rd or 4th in line...ranked just below Tigh.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I'm curious... Now that the Cylons have abandoned not only the ruined 12 Colonies but their own homeworld what is the size of the Cylon home fleet? How many resurrection ships do they have and how many basestars?

We never seem to see more than five baseships and never more than one resurrection-class ship at a time. But they must have several resurrection ships at a minimum and dozens, if not hundreds, of basestars.

You'd think the Cylons would have a big main fleet they'd be moving to Earth...and you'd think we would have seen it by now since the Cylons are following the same path as the Colonial Fleet.

But who knows...maybe they've spread out so that no Resurrection ship is close to any other and thus Galactica has never fought more than five basestars at a time.

There is the off chance that the Cylons reduced their numbers for the exodus and they only have one or two resurrection ships and less than a dozen basestars. Doesn't seem logical but it would help even out the playing field with Galactica.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Architraz Warden:

There are also probably some Captains from Pegasus that we never see who were brought over when the ship was destroyed. I like Helo, but I can't help but be glad he's not running Galactica. [Angst]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Helo would be a bit of a strange choice if you ask me... He's too good for such a job. [Smile]

I'd go with Lee. Determined to do the right thing, even if that intervenes with family, that's gotta count for something. (His obvious bias towards Starbuck aside. [Wink] )

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

Lee would definately be the choice to command if Bill were killed, by Tigh or otherwise. The problem is that he is also a natural choice to be the next President of the Colonies. It is looking like to be that is what the story line is being set-up for Lee.

Telp, I don't think that Bulldog Kelly is any kind of mental shape to command anything. If he was, he would be back in the cockpit of a viper or would have taken over as CAG with Lee gone. Actually, I think that the only reason we don't see him scrambling around the flight deck is that for whatever reason, BSG is not going to have Carl Lumbry on the show.

Without Lee as a runner, Helo is almost the only other choice.

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Gods help us. [Wink]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

No no, not Bulldog. Kelly, the guy made ExO for the first few episodes of Second Season and the guy who killed a couple of Baltar's lawyers.
Carrie
Member # 394

Yeah, Kelly, who's been Captain and LSO since the miniseries. I'd probably go a bit postal, as well. [Wink]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
So, forgive me if this derails this thread, but I've had a nagging issue that seems now to be coming more to the head that I'd like cleared up (if possible).

Here's my understanding of Colonial history, someone please correct me if I'm wrong and/or fill in my misunderstandings:

Humanity started on Kobol (or Cobol?) presumably some other planet/system somewhere. At some point humanity (in the form of the 13 tribes) left Kobol and established themselves on the 12 colonies (+ earth). now presumably they were already high-tech at this point (interstellar travel, if not FTL). But here's where my first point of confusion is: If they were so advanced then why are there no clear records of the exodus (i.e. navigation charts, computer logs etc)? If it was so long ago that all records have been lost then why isn't technology now further ahead than it was back then (or is it?) Additionally, given this vagueness of history how would there be any records (vague or otherwise) of Earth? A lost thirteenth colony I can buy, and even vague notions of what direction they went off in, but detailed knowledge of the route taken, and the name of the place makes me wonder: "if someone in the past of the 12 colonies had been to earth and back why isn't it on the official charts, why is it so cut off from 12 other planets that managed to maintain a coherent society?

Secondly, in the miniseries (and the rest of the series) it's an established fact that man created the Cylons. Now, given the vagueness of their records from the Kobol era I've always taken this assertion to mean that Cylons were created within "recent" history (i.e. within the last 1-200 years somewhere within the 12 colonies). And somewhere along the lines (almost certainly between the first cylon war and now, given evidence from Razor etc) the human-form cylons were a recent internal development/evolution of the Cylons.

Given that, is anyone else having significant issues with Tigh being a cylon? I mean, all the rest of them seem to have at most a few years of history within the colonies (which I can buy) but he's got decades of history with Adama and his wife etc etc, potentially all the way back to the first cylon war.

It seems like they're strongly diverging from the world I thought we were in at the beginning of the series (a Terminator/Asimovian world where we remember creating AI and now it's turned against us) to some universe where maybe the cylons are older than us or at least older than reliably recorded history, and yet both we and they believe that we created them (I guess back on Kobol)...

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

A couple things: Cylons are only like half a century old.

As for lost records or lost technology. Look just at the history of Earth. Cultures of superior technology have either stagnated, been destroyed, or actually regressed, several times in history. An early steam engine was first invented more than a thousand years ago, either in Egypt or Rome, I can't remember (I want to say Egypt), but it wasn't put into actual practice until centuries later.

But I'm thinking that these five Cylon models must be fundamentally different than the other ones, even in terms of their growth and what not. They could have been introduced into the Colonies in dozens of ways, all of which would make their insertion totally believable. Traditional Cylons, ones that seem to stay the same age perpetually, those make it hard to believe that Tigh could be one, but I think he's of a different breed. I think those five were the first, and they created all the others, which is why the others were programmed not to think about them.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the series has diverged. I think it's always been more than a story about AI turning against humanity (in fact, I'd be disappointed if that's all it turned out to be). It's repeated over and over again that all this has happened before and will happen again. I think the Final Five Cylons are part of that—they're obviously different than the regular Cylon models, so it's possible that they have a much longer and more complicated history.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
So the question about the final 5 turns to: if they're not like the rest of the human-form and toaster-form cylons then what is their connection to the cylons? are they even cylons?

If cylons were developed within the last X years (within recorded history) and the human-form cylons were only developed within the last few decades, then can we concievably call the "final five" cylons at all?

I guess I'm just really confused as to how they intend to mesh the mystical aspect of things with the concrete historical record...

If the intent of the mystical side of things (and the final 5) is to say that every x million years humanity tends to wipe itself back to a stone age and then gradually re-develop until they create AI which turns on it etc and the final 5 are just the leftovers from a previous cycle then they really only bear a philosophical similarity to the current incarnation of cylons...

As for the losing of recorded history: I can sorta-kinda accept it except from all that has been mentioned the colonies have managed to keep up an interstellar (or at least interplanetary) society since the exodus from Kobol, and I just can't buy that they maintained such a high level of tech for hundreds/thousands of years but managed to lose all their data. Even if there was some explanation like: oh during the first cylon war all computer records were deleted by the cylons there would still be someone who remembered random data and assorted hardcopies and un-networked storage somewhere...

If the society degenerated all the way down to a pre-industrial society between Kobol and now, then how is it that all the colonies on their different worlds are around and in contact? (though I admit there's room for this to be true and just un-elaborated in the series at present) i.e. the advent of interstellar travel being based around missions to re-establish contact with the other lost tribes as handed down through the scriptures etc...

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

My biggest issue with the lack of reliable data from the exodus is the fact that there's medical data from the exact same time period. Why one and not the other?
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

there's medical data?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think Carrie is referring to the probe that was left behind that had the infection on it that killed the one Cylon Basestar.

Apparently everyone had a checkup before they headed to Earth, but no one thought to keep a journal except Pythia. Pity it wasn't pithier.

ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

TheGrimance, you have touched on, I think, one of the great debates about this series. Let me give you my perspective on this in a chronological way. Remember, all of this has happened before and all of this will happen again.

Humanitys birthplace is Earth. On Earth technology evolves to the point of intersellar travel and AI. AI rebels (aka Terminator, Matrix, I,Robort, etc.) Nearly wiped out, the last of humanity escapes to the stars via the ships they have created and settle on Kobol. Humanity rebuilds, maintains, and then forgets the mistakes of the past and then repeats them, gets nearly wiped out and escapes this time to the planets of the 12 colonies, with one group leaving to go back and resettle Earth, following the path they had followed to get to Kobol in the first place. After settling on the 12 colonies, the cycle starts over until the point that we get BSG.

Now some things to think about concerning ramfications of the cycle:

1. Who and what is left. Every time humanity has to flee to a new star system, they aren't well organized with a relocation plan in place. Therefore they are not fleeing with all of the greatest minds of their time, nor are they bringing all of the recorded knowledge of human history with them, or even samples of the plant and animal life (aka, Noah's Ark) they would need to start over. They will have a little bit, but only a fraction of what they would actually need.

For example, starting with nothing but raw materials and the knowledge you have in your head or maybe an instuction manual, could you build a computer from scratch? Perform surgery? Make a campfire? So what you end up with is a stone age society that still has the ability for faster than light travel between planets. Great, but once the ships break, how are you going to repair them? Reverse engineer them? How and with what? Especially if there isn't anyone around that knows how they were built in the first place.

Anyways, hopefully you are getting my point here. What they have will be bits and pieces at best. They won't be able to create new tech, much less adequately maintain the old tech much beyond its operational lifetime. New Caprica, prior to when the Cylons showed up is a great example of that. They may know how to build lots of high technology with the right tools, but they would first have to recreate the technological evolution that created those tools in the first place. In addition, none of that worked on until the basic needs (food, water, shelter) of the society are met. Believe me, if I had to choose between spending all of my time trying to recreate a water supply system so that people would have clean water to drink and a toilet to flush versus trying to reinvent the the computer, I'd probably choose the toilet.

2. Securlar knowledge replaced by mysticism. As their society ages and new generations are born and knowledge is passed down, the older generation is going to be very suspicious of the scientific knowledge that got them in so much trouble in the first place. If that paranoia is strong, parents will even begin to outright lie and change the facts of the stories to their kids, so that they inherit the parent's fear. As that knowledge is passed down, lies become legend, legend becomes myth, and myth becomes faith. After a few generations of the truth getting warped, the original stories/knowledge are forgotten and long lost.

For example, pretend for a moment I am a farmer living in the middle ages on Kobol, telling my son about the origins of humanity. I would pass down the story I had been told about the great war in heaven (Earth) when the God (cylons), disappointed with their creations (man) decided to destroy them and rained fire and death from the skies. However, the righteous built arks and escaped to the stars, while the wicked were purged and destroyed. The righteous were led on their Exodus to our new glorious home of Kobol, named in honor of God.

Okay, now it is a hundred years later, humanity has progressed a little but not much and what jumps into Kobol's airspace? Earth cylons, bringing with them the true faith. Instead of one god, there is actually 12 Lords of Kobol and they walk among the people as real beings. The worship of the one God is forbidden as blasphemy. Humanity is converted and the story changes again.

In the context of BSG I can see how this could happen. I am making alot assumptions here, but I am not saying that is what RDM and company are using as a backstory. I was trying to build a set of possibilities where it could make sense.

What really worries me is that it has already. Let me tell ya, sometimes Christainity smacks me of little green men playing us all for suckers.

[ April 08, 2008, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: ReddwarfVII ]

Carrie
Member # 394

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I think Carrie is referring to the probe that was left behind that had the infection on it that killed the one Cylon Basestar.

Apparently everyone had a checkup before they headed to Earth, but no one thought to keep a journal except Pythia. Pity it wasn't pithier.

Precisely. Doc Cottle, in his report to Adama about the disease that was on the probe, asserts that it was "an exact match to one reported almost three thousand years ago" (S3's "A Measure of Salvation"). How the frak did he know that?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Cottle is pretty old.

Maybe he just has a really good memory.

Carrie
Member # 394

*snort*

Maybe he's the Cylon god.

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.