FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes III (Page 4)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Heroes III
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
The Banshee was the "You don't even wanna know" guy. If you look at his laptop when he's telling that to clair, it has his picture, and his power is listed as "Sound Manipulation". I can only assume that he wasn't using it to it's fullest potential and that he has some rather nasty things he can do with it.

I too noticed that Noah referred to Mrs. Petrelli as "one of us" meaning non-gifted. It would indeed appear as though nobody knows about her powers.

Also, Sylar didn't get off free from killing Banshee. I'm fairly certain those were prison clothes Mrs. P was handing him in the last scene. He's willing to play along cause he know "mommy" will let him out again later.

And yes, I can't believe how incredibly uncreative all of these character's are with using their powers. In the first episode... why was Peter physically running from the mob? He can stop time, go invisible, fly, or walk through walls. Probably more that I can't remember... And why would Clair bother to shoot him? She knows that he can regenerate!!! What the hell is with these people?!?!

The Bio-mom torture scene had to have been in purely psychological

Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to be a bit of a convention that heroes normally do not suffer the side effects of their powers. e.g. Hiro doesn't get frozen in time if he himself freezes time, Nathan can fly but doesn't seem to suffer from the difficulty of breathing at such speeds, Pyro probably doesn't get hurt if the flames get pushed back.

Its possible that they simply stretched this convention to include that the mother cannot suffer from oxygen deprivation when it is a side-effect of her own fire. Not entirely logical science-wise, but its not too unheard of story-logic(?) wise.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter got zapped by Elle dozens of times and clearly felt it, even though he must have absorbed her power by then.

I think it's one of those things that works when the writers want it to.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Indeed.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
...Sylar doesnt use any powers that often because using too many powers at once could trigger a loss of control, he has Teds powers so he could go nuclear. Even though he is a killer he doesn't like to kill them without a justified (to him) reason.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Peter got zapped by Elle dozens of times and clearly felt it, even though he must have absorbed her power by then.

But his powers were suppressed by drugs at the time, right?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I think when he wasn't taking the drugs it still hurt him.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

But Peter was not using the power at the time- so it could be you can't hurt yourself with your own power, but someone with a duplicate power could use it against you.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
And yet they're all stupid at the same time.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Thats not a plot hole. Its merely continuity [Wink]
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scholarette:
quote:

But Peter was not using the power at the time- so it could be you can't hurt yourself with your own power, but someone with a duplicate power could use it against you.
Elle zapped herself when Noah put her feet in a bucket of water.

edited for odd typo

[ October 02, 2008, 04:10 AM: Message edited by: ricree101 ]

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
I came into Heroes late in the game, but have watched all the episodes on DVD. Right from the beginning I figured character stupidity would have to be a key ingredient of the show, particularly for characters like Hiro and Peter. These guys have such powerful abilities that - if they weren't stupid - no one would be able to stand against them. The writers have gone out of their way to show that these characters with the most powerful abilities are the ones who are either least able to control them (Hiro) or most insecure and unintelligent about how to use them (Peter).
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe part of her power involves converting carbon dioxide back into oxygen.
Ooh, ooh, like the fire flowers in Mario! (I just made that up...I don't know.)
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swbarnes2
Member # 10225

- posted      Profile for swbarnes2           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeorge:
These guys have such powerful abilities that - if they weren't stupid - no one would be able to stand against them.

As some sci-fi editor pointed out to Frank Herbert, you can make a story about the hero growing into his super-human powers, but once he's at the top of his game, it's very hard to make a story. Maybe really really good writers could make it work, but such should not be expected from writers who weren't even imaginative enough to not rip off X-men villians.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by swbarnes2:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeorge:
These guys have such powerful abilities that - if they weren't stupid - no one would be able to stand against them.

As some sci-fi editor pointed out to Frank Herbert, you can make a story about the hero growing into his super-human powers, but once he's at the top of his game, it's very hard to make a story. Maybe really really good writers could make it work, but such should not be expected from writers who weren't even imaginative enough to not rip off X-men villians.
Now thats a bit harsh, I consider it as paying "homage" rather then ripping off.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I just copied every word out of Ender's Game, except changed the names of the characters and the book. Is it an homage or a rip off? (Rather extreme example, but at what point is it OK and at what point not?)
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think it would be hard to do any story about super powered humans with it looking like an X-Men rip off.

But let's be clear, while the background (people with powers and even some of those powers) is the same, the plot is wildly different. The closest thing that Heroes has to Professor X, powers wise, is Matt Parkman, which right away should tell you that it's pretty significantly different. It might serve as a prequel, since we haven't gotten into the government side of things yet, but it's not a direct rip off.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

This is where I chime in my deep and abiding love for Matt Parkman.

Carry on.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

Me too....
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
The only way that scene makes sense is if the air wasn't actually thinning. Claire is just stupid and when her mother told her it was, she reacted that way.

No, in the Heroes world, the laws of physics are different. For example, if you light a fire in a closed area, it will use up oxygen except for yourself. And the moment you put the fire out, all the oxygen that was used up immediately returns.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, If that's the show we are watching then I am very disappointed.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

I hate how Hiro's power was reduced to merely slowing dow time. He's still my favorite character.
Member # 11614

Ok I finished season two and the first 2 episodes of sason three.

How can netflix have episodes of a season still being aired?

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
My assumption was that Claire started hyperventilating/panicking once her mother started talking about feeling confined and not being able to breathe.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

That's what I said.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm liking this week so far. I was just wondering last week what happened to Molly, and now I know. And I thought that was Daphne in Matt's arms, but I didn't see how it could be.

What I don't get is, aren't all of the things that happened in the future undoable? I mean, future Peter is "dead" but none of that should matter if present Peter changes the face of the future, none of that would have happened. I mean, whatever happened to that Irish girl who was lost in that future that stopped existing? I guess the only way to save her would be to go back to when Peter was in Ireland and stop him from taking her. I don't like that Peter has Sylar's ability. I have a feeling that the side effects are going to play a serious role later on, and I'm going to hate it. I guess Peter needs to be in the future to see what happens and how to fix it, but mostly I just want him back in the past and I want them to stop screwing with time. How crazy and sad was it when Sylar went nuclear? And how'd he get the kid?

Crazy, crazy alt future.

Edit to add: Okay, having seen him attack Nathan, I KNOW I don't like that he has Sylar's ability. If this becomes a new plot point, I'm going to be annoyed. He can read minds, shouldn't that have been enough?

Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
All right, if you haven't seen the show and don't want to be spoiled, don't read! [Smile]

Bleh! Bleh! Bleh!

I was liking this season all right until today's episode, but tonight's episode just didn't work at all for me.

First of all, do we really need 2 Sylers? Wasn't one enough?

The triplets don't make any sense. Didn't Nicki already have a twin sister named Jessie? Where does she fit into all of this?

When Daphne fell into Matt's arms with a charred back I nearly gagged. I mean, come on! Puh-lease!

I can't honestly say I understood the future threat. What were the two sides fighting for?

I guess the biggest thing is the first one, though -- Peter getting Syler's powers and his thirst. I absolutely hate that development and don't see anything good coming from it. I was already disliking Peter's character.

Hiro and Ando digging up Adam at the end were about the only good thing in the show.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually did like Gabriel saying "No scar, so you're from the past so you must still think I'm a boogie-man."

Makes me wonder just how he learned to control "the hunger" and why didn't he tell Peter how he's able to do that also?

And when Hiro and Ando dug up that casket, I did go "Ooooo! If that's Adam he's gonna be PISSED!"

And it was, and he was. . . . . I am looking forward to seeing how that plays out.

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I am thoroughly enjoying Heroes now, but for all the wrong reasons.

It has become a nightmarish synthesis of 1) soap opera, 2) convoluted superhero comic, and 3) easily 2/3rds of the entries on tvtropes.org — which means that instead of abandoning the series like they did in second season, my friends are actually watching it pretty much because the thing is satisfying to pick on. It's like the so-bad-it's-good effect; it's the show you watch because you love to hate on it, and it keeps taunting you with flashes of good writing or exciting plot twists.

I guess it can be contrasted with season two which was so-bad-it's-actually-really-just-bad.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed last night's episode. I still don't get what future-Claire's so mad about, but I loved her line about having already killed one uncle tonight, give her a moment to be human.

Of course, I loved Gabriel and Noah. I love that fatherhood made him a better person - and a worse one. The look on Daphnae's face when Noah got hit was just what it should have been. I could almost see her imagining Molly or her baby in his place.

Noah raises the best question, though. The kid looked to be around 4 to me. They're only 4 years in the future. Sylar's never shown an inclination towards rape before, so either someone is willingly going to sleep with him or, more likely, the Company will give him a baby for some reason. Where this kid is going to come from and why anyone would trust Sylar with him is absolutely beyond me.

Claire made comment about Gabriel taking everything from her. Maybe it's her baby and Mama Patrelli made arrangements?

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Magson:
Makes me wonder just how he learned to control "the hunger" and why didn't he tell Peter how he's able to do that also?

Uh, you can't tell another person how to control a hunger. You have to work it out yourself. Gabriel said that it's a struggle every day. That's how he handles it, if you'll excuse the expression: one day at a time.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

AvidReader, that was Noah. Something's going to happen to age-revert him, and Gabriel is going to adopt him. Maybe Claire had wanted to, but Gabriel won.
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
AvidReader, that was Noah. Something's going to happen to age-revert him, and Gabriel is going to adopt him. Maybe Claire had wanted to, but Gabriel won.

That's a leap. Isn't it more likely that he grew to like Noah and named a kid after him?

quote:
Originally posted by AvidReader:
Noah raises the best question, though. The kid looked to be around 4 to me. They're only 4 years in the future. Sylar's never shown an inclination towards rape before, so either someone is willingly going to sleep with him or, more likely, the Company will give him a baby for some reason. Where this kid is going to come from and why anyone would trust Sylar with him is absolutely beyond me.

I noticed that the child looked too old to be his 4 years in the future. Even if Syler gets with a woman right now, the child should only be 3. But a couple of things could be true. He could have adopted the kid. Or else they just didn't cast a younger child. There does seem to be a tendency to cast children older than the character age to play a part because the older you get, the better the actor will be at, say, playing dead. [Smile]
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
quote:

That's a leap. Isn't it more likely that he grew to like Noah and named a kid after him?
On Heroes? I'm going with the baby HRG theory.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It's not a TOTALLY crazy theory, but I still think it is more likely that he had a baby and named it Noah, and that Noah was killed in the last four years.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't thought of that -- I'd assumed he had named his son after Noah. Yeah, it's an unlikely scenario, but Heroes does like its plot twists, and I actually wouldn't be shocked if that were Noah Bennet. The hair color looked about right.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The problem for me is that I can't possibly imagine that Gabriel could become so attached to Noah that in four years he'd go nuclear because he was killed. There was more to it than that.

He was FURIOUS in a way I don't think any character on the show has been angry so far, and we've seen some pretty emotional deaths. It was representative of a parent's child being murdered before his eyes, and because he was unable to protect him.

Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
I still watch this show, but only because I love to hate it. It was good for the first few episodes, but it went downhill fairly quickly, unfortunately.

Anyway, Peter is still using his power of Stupidity. Dude can slow time to a crawl. There's no danger. Daphne becomes normal speed then and she wasn't the one with the gun. Everyone else is just neutralized completely.

What happened to Claire to make her, not just willing to kill her uncle, but to make her a SADIST?

When Daphne showed up at Parkman's place, my wife said "What a jerk!" She thought it was lame to show up, give them false hope, and then be all "I'm dead, just wanted to bring you the body" and collapse.

Not to mention how did Daphne ever get the formula from Hiro in the first place? How'd she know he was going to open the safe right then?

Hiro, having one of the most powerful powers, continues to not use it when he should. When he slows time, Daphne loses her power. He should be able to just fight her, but instead he just talks to her and she does whatever.

And of course no one even considers that in the future, Ando might not turn evil and kill Hiro, but Hiro might turn evil and Ando has to stop him.

But yeah, what does any of it matter when there's time travel, *AND* it's been established that traveling to the past to change stuff does not result in a rift or anything. New York didn't blow up. History changed. No problems. So why does Future Peter wait four years to go back? Why shoot his brother? Why not go back four years and 5 minutes and just talk to him? Why not prevent Clair's attack by Sylar, instead of moping?

Tracy isn't really any more interesting than Niki was.

I feel bad they not only killed the Greatest American Hero, but they show it in flashback every week!

The previous generation of supers sure were dumb. Kaito never tells his son about the formula, just leaves him in ignorance forever until he dies and then says "don't open the safe ever." Well if that was true, why not just destroy whatever's in there?

Okay, that's enough. Blood pressure rising...

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
He was FURIOUS in a way I don't think any character on the show has been angry so far, and we've seen some pretty emotional deaths. It was representative of a parent's child being murdered before his eyes, and because he was unable to protect him.

It doesn't take that long to be that way even for an adopted child. Even a year would be enough.
Christine
Member # 8594

Is anyone else having trouble with Claire's anger issues? It just seems to blown out of proportion.
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
This show does not make much sense.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by AvidReader:

I noticed that the child looked too old to be his 4 years in the future. Even if Syler gets with a woman right now, the child should only be 3. But a couple of things could be true. He could have adopted the kid. Or else they just didn't cast a younger child. There does seem to be a tendency to cast children older than the character age to play a part because the older you get, the better the actor will be at, say, playing dead. [Smile]

Maybe Sylar had a previously unmentioned one night stand.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Heroes was written with Mel Brooks in mind - "Evil will always triumph, because Good is Dumb."

I have the same problem with Peter as I do with Neo after the first Matrix movie.

This is a guy who could be Godlike. He can go anywhere, anytime, for as long as he likes, absorb anyone's powers, and even BE INVISIBLE while he does it.

Go back to your parents' generation - eavesdrop on their conversations, absorb their powers, learn their plans, etc. Then come back to the near present and... observe, watch everything, etc.

He'd know everything that's going on, and be instantaneously aware of everything with reference to the rest of the world. And if he changed something he didn't like, he could always go back and change it again.

Even with the plot they've chosen...

Afraid of bullets? Go invisible, teleport behind Clair, hold her still with telekinesis, whatever...

Need Sylar's power? The only reason is because you're too stupid to live and can't figure your way out of a paper bag. What's the hunger for... more power? He can get it without cutting people's heads open. Silly.

The fight in the Bennett house? Stop time, telekinesis freeze Daphne, touch Sylar and Noah, and teleport out. Easy peasy.

They say that youth is wasted on the young... I say that powers are wasted on the dumb.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
The idea that we use only 10% of our brain is wrong. The powers are not making use of the "extra" brain power, it is taking from the thinking part.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

quote:
Originally posted by scholarette:
The idea that we use only 10% of our brain is wrong. The powers are not making use of the "extra" brain power, it is taking from the thinking part.

Finally! It all makes sense now!
Well, the stupid decisions do, but not all the other holes.

Why are they all making such a huge deal out of the formula?
It's obviously not that hard to figure out since so many stupid people have figured it out.

All the future episodes are a complete waste of time. I'm guessing a new hero will be revealed that has the power to make everyone in the world complete morons.

Maybe I missed it, or maybe this show is worse than I thought, but why does Peter need Sylar's power? Apparently the hunger Sylar is always talking about has nothing to do with wanting more powers. It just has to do with cutting skulls open.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
It's obviously not that hard to figure out since so many stupid people have figured it out.
As far as I can tell, only one person has figured it out. Mohinder's formula doesn't work, it creates weird monster people.

My question is, is there some qualitative difference between created heroes and real ones? And if so, who is real and who is fake?

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Fine. It still can't be that hard to get to the good formula from Mohinder's.

I guess the only real heroes are Petrellis. There are still plenty of them.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually liked this episode quite a bit. I'm not sure I would defend it as a "good" episode but it showed me a lot of things that made me happy. I've always liked Sylar, so seeing him trying to be good was cool. They may have went a little overboard with it, but to be honest, Dexter (probably the best TV serial killer we're likely to see) acts exactly the same way to help him blend in with society.

I also have a thing for Turtles (I was really disappointed when it wasn't the turtle talking in episode 2) so seeing it remain important was extremely satisfying for me. I suppose I can't expect that to have really made anyone else's day though.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

I kinda wish they hadn't put David Anders' name in the opening credits - seeing the Adam Monroe reveal would have been a bit cooler without knowing it was coming.
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
I kinda wish they hadn't put David Anders' name in the opening credits - seeing the Adam Monroe reveal would have been a bit cooler without knowing it was coming.

Luckily, I don't pay attention to the opening credits and generally speaking, don't know the actors names anyway. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.