FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My kids say awesome things. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: My kids say awesome things.
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
Today, after I asked how they liked the cheese tortellini:

"It takes like the cheese in buffalo."

*blink* I'm not sure if he means the animal or Buffalo, NY. He has no experience with either.

Could he have meant buffalo wings?
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I was afrid (sic) to go on the monkey bars when I was in first grade. The teachers where not allowed to hold me. I was afriaed (sic). Then I decided I whould (sic) do it. So I did. And in the end I fell and bumped my head on the pole."
That is tremendously awesome.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Could he have meant buffalo wings?
I don't think he's had those, either.

My poor, underprivileged children.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
Today, after I asked how they liked the cheese tortellini:

"It takes like the cheese in buffalo."

*blink* I'm not sure if he means the animal or Buffalo, NY. He has no experience with either.

I don't suppose he's ever had buffalo mozzarella?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Shanna, I was going to say "I don't know" -- or maybe rattle off a list of influences that I know have had an effect (including the Charlie and Lola show (and books), but then Sophie just came into the room, staring balefully at a chocolate chip cookie in her hand and intoning, "You have failed me for the last time, cookie. I eat you! But first I will dip you in milk!"

And it occurred to me that maybe we have had something to do with it. *grin* Mainly we play with them -- especially word-heavy roleplay -- a lot, and made a point of never using baby talk or dumbing down our vocabulary. I suspect the same is true of a lot of Hatracker parents, though; the kids on this thread are wonderful. But to be honest, I suspect that most kids are wonderful, and that parents just don't always listen.

Two comments.

First, I've known several children who say things that are very much like the things your darling daughter says. All of them have been girls. My husband and I call them fairy princesses. And while I do not wish to detract from your excellent parenting, I'm fairly convinced that parenting is a fairly minor influence in these types of personality things.

Second, I'm curious about what you mean by "baby talk". Dumbing down vocabulary around your children is a mistake, but lots of studies have shown that the exaggerated way of speaking that most people tend to use with babies is actually important in stimulating areas of the brain needed for language. There is no reason to think that certain types of "baby talk" will promote weak language skills and plenty of reason to think they may promote good language skills.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't suppose he's ever had buffalo mozzarella?
No, do they have that somewhere? I found bison meat at Wal-Mart. That was shocking enough to me.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You can even buy kosher bison. It's yummy. [Smile]

Buffalo mozzarella is apparently most common in a few places . . . including L.A. [Big Grin] I know I see it at the supermarket, especially the gourmet-ier places.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

My oldest child is decidedly not the type to say adorably verbose things. He also doesn't ask a lot of questions, except to ask for things.

But he seems to understand what we're saying, just fine. And his preschool teacher and pediatrician both indicate he's doing fine.

I just get a little jealous/insecure when I hear about 2 and 3 year olds forming complete sentences better than my 5 year old.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Don't stress about it. My son has always been a huge talker, like nonstop. He never used baby words, just jumped into phrases and short sentences at 13 months.

But my daughter has always been very...um...vocally challenged. She talks a lot, but she's only just now starting to become comprehensible, and she's five. Nothing's wrong with her; everyone's just different. But I know what you're saying.

It'll happen. [Smile]

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Second, I'm curious about what you mean by "baby talk". Dumbing down vocabulary around your children is a mistake, but lots of studies have shown that the exaggerated way of speaking that most people tend to use with babies is actually important in stimulating areas of the brain needed for language. There is no reason to think that certain types of "baby talk" will promote weak language skills and plenty of reason to think they may promote good language skills.
Sticky ground, I know, but it's also pretty well documented that goofy talking and facial expressions helps children on the Aspergers/Autism spectrum.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My husband and I call them fairy princesses.
I think the tone in which you call them "fairy princesses" might be telling. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We had an awesome thing at dinner tonight.

Emma (pointing out the window): Look! Look! I see elephants!
Me (wondering if a car drove by with an elephant on it or something): Where? (Looking) I don't see any elephants.
Emma: No elephants? You see zero elephants?
Me: That's right, I see zero elephants.
Emma (extremely aggrieved): WHY are there zero elephants in my life???

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
My oldest child is decidedly not the type to say adorably verbose things. He also doesn't ask a lot of questions, except to ask for things.

But he seems to understand what we're saying, just fine. And his preschool teacher and pediatrician both indicate he's doing fine.

I just get a little jealous/insecure when I hear about 2 and 3 year olds forming complete sentences better than my 5 year old.

It may not apply in this specific case, but this reminds me of something Steven Pinker says in The Language Instinct, because we had a family friend with a similar concern:

"My child is three years old and hasn't said a word. What should I do?

Take him (it's more likely to be a "him") to a speech and language pathologist accredited by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (www.asha.org), ideally one affiliated with a university, clinic, or teaching hospital. If the child seems to understand language, and is bright and socially responsive, there is a good chance that he is simply a "late talker" (probably genetic causes) who will outgrow his silence and end up just fine."

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Given that the pediatrician thinks he's fine, I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply in this case.

scifibum, my middle brother didn't start to talk until age three. He's still the least talkative of the family. But he is brilliant and well-spoken -- when he speaks, people listen.

Don't worry. I'm sure your son is fine. [Smile]

scifibum
Member # 7625

"Don't worry" is probably the least-followed advice of all time.

But that doesn't mean it's not good advice. [Wink]

Yeah, he'll be OK. He's got some interesting mental talents. By the time he was two, he was very interested in organizing colored objects in the same order in which colors appear in a rainbow (no idea how common this is: anyone seen this? He never made a mistake, it was always red orange yellow green blue purple). He also knew his ABCs backwards and forwards. He seems rather bright except for the way he communicates.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
My husband and I call them fairy princesses.
I think the tone in which you call them "fairy princesses" might be telling. [Smile]
It's always in a highly complimentary tone.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
WHY are there zero elephants in my life???
Man, if Hatrack had .sigs, KQ, I'd be all over this one. [Smile] Did she also throw up her hands in exasperation?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle*
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
destructopants
Member # 11732

- posted      Profile for destructopants           Edit/Delete Post 
So this morning, around 4:00 AM, my three-year-old son climbed into my bed and woke me up by saying, "Hey, Mom! Mom! I have an epiglottis. It's in my mouth."

And, a couple of weeks ago, as we were driving home from preschool:
My son: Mom?
Me: Yes?
My Son (very pensively): I think... I think that those thingies might be some baby trees.
(He was pointing out the window at some shrubs)

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:

It may not apply in this specific case, but this reminds me of something Steven Pinker says in The Language Instinct, because we had a family friend with a similar concern:

"My child is three years old and hasn't said a word. What should I do?

Take him (it's more likely to be a "him") to a speech and language pathologist accredited by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (www.asha.org), ideally one affiliated with a university, clinic, or teaching hospital. If the child seems to understand language, and is bright and socially responsive, there is a good chance that he is simply a "late talker" (probably genetic causes) who will outgrow his silence and end up just fine."

Not a bad idea to get his hearing checked. Another nephew was just diagnosed with a significant hearing impairment - and he is almost 7! He decoded enough that none of us - pediatrician and teachers included - had any idea how hard he was working. What we thought was a slight speech problem was because there were sounds he never heard. He just got some hearing amplification and it is making a world of difference.

Of course, this may have nothing to do with your child. My nephew talked plenty, just not clearly. But it couldn't hurt.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
LiteBrite had a severe ear infection that inhibited her speech and hearing the way kmboots described. We had no clue; she didn't exhibit any symptoms (fever, pain, etc).

Once she got antibiotics, she was talking like a normal three year old in less than three days.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
My nearly four year old daughter, this morning:

"Mom, do South American monkeys eat monkey balls*, or do they eat bananas and chickens?"

*Osage orange fruit.

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
scifibum, it would make a difference in my level of concern whether he just liked to line things up and order them in certain ways,*** or whether he becomes notably upset if he is not permitted to do so (or when other people put things out of order, or disturb him while he is ordering them). If the latter, then that is a characteristic it's worth making sure his pediatrician knows about.

---

***as in by color, as you note with the rainbow, or by size, shape, etc. -- any sort of consistent ordering system

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

ClaudiaTherese, I just don't know how to answer that. No, he doesn't get mad if the blocks are disordered, or from the simple fact that he is interrupted.

However, he sometimes attaches extreme importance to getting into the van on a certain side (but not all the time), and being allowed to open the front door when we get home (but again, not all the time). He thrives on routines but the routines can and do change, and as long as we are gentle with disrupting his routines it's not a problem. He responds well to discipline when it is delivered with calm and consistency (I'm working on doing better with that), but surprise defeats can ruin the next hour.

All in all he's got some characteristics that are a little bit different, and seem somewhat similar to autistic characteristics, but haven't been enough to interfere with normal activities except on rare occasions, and I have attributed those exceptions to my easily detectable parenting mistakes and fairly normal little person boundary-pushing and fragile temper. The more structure we provide, the better he does, and the minor rigidities he develops for himself seem temporary, and can be forgotten.

Deep breath. After all that, I'm convinced that we should at least discuss it with the pediatrician, even though I don't expect that he's got any problems of clinical significance. Might as well put our minds at ease.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Let me be clear: I am a total orderer, thrive on routines, get upset going into new environments if I am not allowed to adjust slowly, etc. (e.g., when my husband wants to share an emotionally special place with me -- the ferry ride, a national park, the dam his father built, whatever -- he knows now to book two trips. One for me to sit there and read a book while quietly absorbing things, and one for me to interact and get all excited like he wants me to. [Smile] I can deal with change, I just can't relax into it with pure pleasure all at once. I can, however, "get through it.")

Yes, I'm a little eccentric. A lot of us here are. I'm also happily married, maintaining several deep and enduring friendships, professionally successful, and financially stable. And very very happy.

I may just be quirky or I may be a bit on the spectrum, or those really might mean the same thing. No matter.

(I used to line things up by size. [Wave] )

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

PS: Come to think of it, I still find routines and ordering very soothing. I specialize in an intensive care medical environment in part because the reams of data (blood pressure changes, heart rate, medication levels, feeding residuals, etc.) are so much fun to pour through and spot patterns. Love it. Don't mind not sleeping on call because there is so much data to play with. (Mmmm, data.)
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
'Pore'. One 'pores' through data. One 'pours' through a colander.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
You must not CT, very well, King of Men. She most definitely pours. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I love it when a user name gets turned into a verb. I can just picture what "to CT" entails, as well.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

She also personally applies the spots to patterns.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
WHY are there zero elephants in my life???
Man, if Hatrack had .sigs, KQ, I'd be all over this one. [Smile] Did she also throw up her hands in exasperation?
In fact she did. And stomped her pretty little foot. *giggle*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
'Pore'. One 'pores' through data. One 'pours' through a colander.

Well, actually, one "pores over data," unless the data is transparent, I suppose.

It never is, though, and Davidson never rests. [Smile]

---

PS: (and thanks to the otherwise [Hat] [Blushing] )

TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
I can just picture what "to CT" entails, as well.
"To enclose self-deprecating qualifiers in brackets or parentheses..."
TomDavidson
Member # 124

*grin* It's a feature. I love your parentheses. [Smile] I do wonder if it'd be possible to make you think that your parentheticals are themselves an affectation, and thus another form of self for which you'd have to create another form of apologetic internal grammar, but only because I think it'd be fun to see how you'd punctuate it.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

^
l
l
l_ _ _ *notes Davidson unresting

Presentation of self comes with earmarks. [Dont Know] It's a flaw or feature, depending on the perspective.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
*grin* It's a feature. I love your parentheses. [Smile] I do wonder if it'd be possible to make you think that your parentheticals are themselves an affectation, and thus another form of self for which you'd have to create another form of apologetic internal grammar, but only because I think it'd be fun to see how you'd punctuate it.

Somehow I deleted instead of editing, thus screwing up the conversation. (Heavens. [Smile] )

Of course parentheticals are presentations of self. When necessary to metacomment on them, perhaps one could use footnotes?

---

Edited to add: And now my brain hurts. Back to the cute kids, please and mercy!

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Careful. That way lies David Foster Wallace. *grin*
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

That is both [ROFL] and [Frown] . [Kiss]

[Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

From the Ketchup Princess. as I got her a snack just now:

(contemplatively) "We cannot eat people because they are hard to eat. Also, if you eat people, you will die."

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I frequently babysit my accompanist's daughter, who is four, and the first time I put her to bed, she informed me that:

"It's important to brush your teeth, because if you don't, you could get cavities... and then you need toothpicks to get the cavities out!"

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got one, although it's not from my kids (don't have any), but from when I was a kid.

For a few weeks (according to my mother) I would call my grandmother "Free Grampas." Eventually, my mom figured it out. I knew that my grandfather was "Grampa" and that there was another person at his house (my grandmother). Also, anything more than one was three (or in my speech, "free). So, at my grandparents house, there was "Grandpa" and "Free Grampas."

It doesn't sound as cute as when my mom tells the story...

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
On the way to preschool this morning our 2-year-old was deliberatly mispronouncing Saturn as "Sapurn." Over and over and over.

My five-year-old, voice quavering, tears in eyes, says "Don't make fun of my favorite planet!" She was inconsolable for a few minutes. Then she announced she was naming her first daughter Saturn.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
On the way to preschool this morning our 2-year-old was deliberatly mispronouncing Saturn as "Sapurn." Over and over and over.

My five-year-old, voice quavering, tears in eyes, says "Don't make fun of my favorite planet!" She was inconsolable for a few minutes. Then she announced she was naming her first daughter Saturn.

[ROFL] This sounds like our car rides some days...
rivka
Member # 4859

My oldest has decided that her current favorite phrase is "Verbing weirds language."

I'm so proud. [Big Grin]

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I can only hope my future kids turn out like Hatrack kids.

[Hat]

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
An exchange this morning:

Daughter (building with legos): Do you want some of this castle salad?

Me: No thanks, I'm still drinking my coffee.

Daughter: Well, you have to at least have a leg.

Me (sputtering): Why is there a leg in the salad?

Daughter: Because there's a pig in there. I cooked up a pig.

Daughter: How about some pumpkin pie or a popsicle? Those are in the salad, too.

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Just now, while watching scenes from the 2003 US Open ISKA (International Sport Karate Association) my 7-year-old very seriously said: "I can't do that. But I can stand on my heels."
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait until my daughter (3 mos.) is old enough to start saying silly things. [Smile] Reading this thread made me smile.

As it is, I remember my brother at age 4 in the car as we were driving out West on vacation asking my Mom, 'When are we going to get there?' and pointing at the sun setting.

My Mother also tells me that when I was nearly 5, my Grandmother would have to watch my brother and I while Mom was at work. One day I walked up to my Grandmother and very calmly told her 'I understand that you feel that we need to be babysat while Mom is at work, but I don't appreciate that,' and then I walked off. Apparently Grandma called Mom at work laughing her head off over that one. [ROFL]

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

I was sitting out my porch last watching my two 7 year old neighbor boys playing football (that's soccer for you Yankees). The one boy is from the states and the other just moved into the neighborhood from Jamaica. They were talking about football teams and players, which eventually turned to talk of news about the CONCACAF cup in Jamaica. The American kid then proclaimed, "Nobody watches the local news, they watch CNN cause they want to know who the gonna be the secretary"."

Then he stopped and said with extreme earnestness. "Did you know that Barack Obama is the first black President of the United States". He then started to sing "doo doo doo" and do a victory dance in the street. It was extremely cute.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.