FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My kids say awesome things. (Page 8)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: My kids say awesome things.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
"I saw a snotty nose today, but it wasn't attached to me. It was attached to a girl."
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Sasha found my old copy of "Win Loose and Draw". He doesn't have this reading thing down perfect yet. He reads most of the words great, but guesses at the difficult one--usually the last one.

Do you know how difficult it is to decipher a 9 year old (yes he turned nine on Thursday) drawing of not-quite common phrases.

My favorite three....

"Strong as an Ax"

"Dark House" (instead of Dark Horse. However, if you've been watching House, it could make sense.)

and my all time favorite...

"Light as a Father."

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

(9! No way!)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Sasha is 9?? Craziness.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, my niece used to say "Hot as Blue Blazers!" I loved that one because it made me picture those wool blue blazers that some school uniforms have, and just sweating away in them since it's nearly always too hot here to wear such a thing. I thought it was a great phrase. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Another one she used to say is "Get up you lazy bongbong!"
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I cried when my son finally started saying "regular" instead of "reggy-old." It was his last mispronounced word. But I still derive some joy from hearing him read complex words out loud.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

We still as a family mispronounce some things the way my little brother did when he was young, cause they were just so cute and fun to say that way. He's 47 now and a sysadmin at a large corporation. His early pronunciations of cinnamon, breakfast, and Vietnamese, though, will never die. (cimmanum, breftuss, Vietmanese)
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
K: Why is your tummy so big?
Mom: I have a BABY in my tummy
K: ::gives a sickened look:: you ATE a BABY?!?!? ::runs away::

That one is straight out of Bloom County

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Tatiana: We do that too. In our family it's callipitter and bavin suit.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Me: It looks dark outside. I think it's going to rain.

Jillian: You mean that thing that food grows from?

(Poor children. This is what comes of being born in the desert.)

DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
"I don't think that's really a baby. It doesn't look like a fishy, it looks like a blob". - My son, when examining my Sister-In-Laws first sonogram photo.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
My middle son, 4:

"Dad? I'm your best kid."

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Tee hee!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

- posted      Profile for malanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
peas = "circle beans"
Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
"Tamidi" = tam ideme = let's go over there. We have a sentence! Should I feel left out it wasn't in English...? [Wink]

Then today, she signed "food", then pointed to Starbucks sign. Not even two years old and successfully brand-imprinted.

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ketchup Princess, about 1/2 an hour after she asked where KPC was and I answered that he was stuck in traffic: "Why is Abba trapped in parking?"
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of my interactions with Squoose this week:

"Daddy. I'm ready to play Candy Land. Are you ready?"

"Not yet. I told you I need to finish what I'm doing, and it will only take a couple more minutes."

"Too bad. I'm ready now. Come over here."

"Daddy, what's wrong with your leg?"

"My knee hurts."

"Well don't do that!"

From Mooselet to Superstation: "That wasn't funny. If Daddy had said it, then it would be funny."

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

My son pulled a classic on me today!

Azriel: Do you know where my rocket blaster game is?

Me: No, where did you put it?

Azriel: Moooooom, if I knew THAT, I wouldn't be LOOKING for it.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

A kid in church this morning:

Pastor: What does "adoption" mean?
Kid 1: If you find a stray dog, and you take him in because nobody else wants him.
Pastor: That's a good definition! Anyone else?
Kid 2: Oh! Also, if you want an elephant, you can find one at the zoo.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't funny, but I thought it was awesome...

Audrey stood up on a chair today, pointed at my wife and said, "Ma!" Then she pointed at me and said "Da!" Then, at herself and said "Drey!" Finally, the dog (whose name is Mojo), and said "Boo!"

That's the first time I've heard her try to say her own name. I have no idea why she calls the dog Boo.

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I think every child, at one point or another, calls their dog "Boo".
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
My 20-month-old nephew, Sid, was recently visiting us from India (with his parents, of course).

He's still in the process of figuring out names. When he wants one of his parents' attention he'll cycle through all the names he's heard that seem plausible. So to get his father's notice we'd often hear something along these lines:
"Jijoo?" (brother-in-law)
"Depey?" (nickname)
"Dadu?" (grandfather)
"Dada?" (older brother)
and then eventually he'll get around to
"Baba?" (father)

Abhi was promptly named "Keno?" by Sid - which is just the question "Why?" in Bengali. We have no idea.

Then there were our dogs. He's seen dogs on the streets of India before, but has never been in close contact with any, so we were a bit worried about how he would handle our two large dogs.

Panda, the 90-lb Malamute, is a wuss, so we weren't surprised that he was scared of Sid. We were surprised that Sid loved that Panda would back away and then bark at him. The entire visit he'd follow Panda from room to room and talk to get the dog to bark. It became this odd game of hide-and-go-seek with Sid shouting out "Pande No" (pande means teacher/priest) to get the dog's attention while Panda tried to keep a safe distance between himself and the small squealing thing.

They're now back in India, and apparently all dogs he sees are named "Pande No".

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
When he wants one of his parents' attention he'll cycle through all the names he's heard that seem plausible. So to get his father's notice we'd often hear something along these lines:
"Jijoo?" (brother-in-law)
"Depey?" (nickname)
"Dadu?" (grandfather)
"Dada?" (older brother)
and then eventually he'll get around to
"Baba?" (father)

This sounds like an older gentleman who is a friend of our family. He's always running through every girl's or woman's name in the family (there are a lot of females on this particular side) in hopes he'll hit the right one. Instead of say 60 months, though, he's more like 60 years old. [Wink]
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Sasha does not like Micheal Jackson. From what he's seen from the recent retrospectives, Micheal Jackson is strange. As we were walking down the aisle of the grocery store, by the Micheal Jackson posters, he didn't even look up as he said, "Micheal Jackson is the weirdest person ever. I bet he never got an A+ on his math test."
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Normal people are good at math?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
When I told Bryn (5) that President Obama had won 'an important award for ending fighting around the world' she thought hard for a second. Then her face visibly brightened. "It must be because I've been praying for him!" (she prays every night that 'The President will do his job well.')

Which is as good an explanation of the award as any I've heard.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
awwwww
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
When I told Bryn (5) that President Obama had won 'an important award for ending fighting around the world' she thought hard for a second. Then her face visibly brightened. "It must be because I've been praying for him!" (she prays every night that 'The President will do his job well.')

That is so sweet. [Smile] Politics can be so ugly and depressing. We need more sweetness.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Normal people are good at math?

That must explain why I'm so strange.
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

No Raia. We still aren't sure what explains that.

So the local scout troop took an historic tour of our small town--Washington Missouri.

At one point we were discussing the train station when the tour guide said, "And that first day in 1855 when the first train came all the way from St. Louis to Washington, one young newspaper reporter stepped off the train. He wrote an article for the paper about this first trip. He later became a very famous writer. Anybody know who he was....."

None of the kids answered.

Sasha looked up at me, "You read a lot. Do you know who he is."

"Yes Sasha, but the question is for you kids."

Silence.

The tour guide hinted, "He is probably the most famous writer from Missouri..."

One of the kids answered shyly, "Mark Twain."

"Correct" said the tour guide, then he noticed the blank stares of other kids. "Does anybody know what this newspaper reporter would some day write."

With out missing a beat the same kid responded, "Newspaper articles?"

The tour guide grabbed his forehead as if he were pushing back a headache. "Yes, but besides that..."

Another kid yelled, "Stories and such."

At this point the guide just gave up and moved on.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear. We're doomed!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
No Raia. We still aren't sure what explains that.

Well, as long as we have people on the case...
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Last week I told Skyler that Darth Vader is more-or-less supposed to mean "Dark Father".

When I called her tonight, her greeting was, "Hello, Darth Vader."

Also, she referred to the kids at school as "pointy-headed kids". It's a Dilbert reference.

[Smile]

Both of those got me laughing pretty good.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

That's cute. And I would just like to say that I think Skyler is a very pretty name. [Smile]
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably been years since I posted last, but I have been a faithful lurker. But I could not pass this up.

During a children's Sunday School lesson

Teacher: Name a time when you did something that made your parents proud.

Child: Um, 10 o'clock

Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raia:
That's cute. And I would just like to say that I think Skyler is a very pretty name. [Smile]

It's a good thing that me and her mom finally found that...we must have gone through 3 or 4 thousand names. She was originally going to be "Emma", but that was a co-worker's daughter's name.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by happymann:
It's probably been years since I posted last, but I have been a faithful lurker. But I could not pass this up.

During a children's Sunday School lesson

Teacher: Name a time when you did something that made your parents proud.

Child: Um, 10 o'clock

:: laugh ::

That was definitely a post worth coming out of lurkerdom to make.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryan having his second bowl of cereal this morning.

"I'm having a double bowl of cereal this morning. No, I'm going to have a triple bowl. No, wait, I'm going to have a fourter bowl."

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

Me: Why did you cut your hair at school???
Azriel: Because I wanted a haircut.
Me: We just got your hair cut on Monday (two days before)
Azriel: But I don't like it.
Me: You picked it out!
Azriel: But I want it to be like Mr. Pollock's.
Me: How does Mr. Pollock have his hair?
Azriel: There's no hair on top, just on the back right here (bends around and fingers the back of his head.

Ugh!!!

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

My son came in from outside today severely disillusioned that he was unable to find any dinosaur bones while digging up the back yard. I to tell him, you know, that dinosaur bones are usually really far under the ground and not something that one person can dig up all alone.

His response: "I guess I'll have to wait until Bean (his little sister) gets out of the tub."

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
John had a funny one in the car the other day:

John: How are we going to get home?

Me: Well, first we'll take Larpenter Avenue . . .

John: We're going to take Larpenter Avenue?

Me: Yes.

John: How will all the other cars use it, then?

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think his genes are showing. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
My almost 4yr old daughter Ivy has a nerf gun and hands my brother another one, and says "I'm the bad guy, and you're the bad guy AND WE CAN BOTH SHOOT TED!!!"

I'm Ted.

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to my Uncle's funeral a few weeks ago. One of the great grandchildren had been to the viewing the day before. He came in, walked down the aisle and looked up at the casket. "Oh" he said, sounding disappointed, "Pa-Pa's still dead."
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

- posted      Profile for Clive Candy           Edit/Delete Post 
Today at a family gathering I got to speak to a younger cousin of mine (about to turn three) I haven't seen in a while.

As soon as I started talking to her another cousin of mine got a book, and started pointing out words. The soon to turn 3 cousin of mine read out the words perfectly.

I later brought to her one of those simple kindergarten-esque books, and she pretty much read it aloud perfectly.

Apparently the way they discovered she could read was when at a store, some lady playfully held up a book to her and asked "what is this?" and the lady of course expected "book" but my two year old cousin said the word that was printed on the cover: "Dictionary."

The lady suggested that my little cousin has a photographic memory. She picked up how to read from tv captioning.

[ November 28, 2009, 06:04 AM: Message edited by: Clive Candy ]

Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

I'm just concerned about when they enroll her in school at age 5 -- if she could read that well now she'll be fairly ahead of her classmates and it seems kind of cruel to make her go through "ABCs" three years after she's mastered them.

edit: this may be the explanation. [Frown]

[ November 28, 2009, 05:16 AM: Message edited by: Clive Candy ]

Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Does she exhibit the other traits associated with hyperlexia: difficulty communicating by putting her own thoughts together rather than just reading individual words? Or any other aspects of autism? If not, she may just be a very precocious reader and very intelligent without the hyperlexia.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

I guess I need to have a discussion with her parents. The thing is they're not very educated so aren't aware of her apparent precociousness perhaps being sign of something else. I might be jumping to conclusions though because the child has other issues (severe skin condition).

The kid is definitely a bit unusual in other ways: she's observant and oddly quiet. Doesn't seem to talk unless spoken to.

DDDaysh
Member # 9499

My son had a cute one when watching a movie the other day.

"Warriors never give up. Even if they're scared, they never give up. Warriors never give up, even if they're hurt, warriors never give up." <long pause> "Except, when they're dead, then warriors give up."

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.