FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My kids say awesome things. (Page 4)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: My kids say awesome things.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
While driving home with Sophie last night, "Head Like a Hole" came on the radio. I reached out to turn it, but Sophie asked me to leave it on -- so I did. After about a minute, she said, "I don't know why he's so angry. It's a very good song."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
John figures that the shepherds had to go to the stable to take care of Mary's little lamb while she had the baby. [ROFL]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Aerin is now saying /ba/. I know it's not really talking, but it's a big deal for a 26-week micropreemie with a malformed palate (from being intubated) and developmental delays. It took a lot of hard work and every time she says it on cue, it's like a miracle to us. She communicates via PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System), but it's so amazing to finally hear her little voice.

It's the first step to speech and it's been a long time coming.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome. I remember you saw a speech therapist for eating issues, but I didn't realize how much else you were dealing with. You must be so excited to hear her talk!
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so, to preface, this exchange was not going to be as depressing as it sounds like it might have been.

I asked my son tonight, "Do you know who Satan is?"
His response was, "Does he sell donuts? (Bear in mind, he was wearing a pensive expression, complete with the tapping of the chin with the forefinger.)

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious what led to the discussion of Satan.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to remember what it was. It had something to do with the resurrection of Jesus, and I was trying to tiptoe around the Satan part. I generally try to leave Satan and hell out of all discussions with my children, but I think it was specifically pertinent. He was asking me about something he read in the Bible. At any rate, Satan got thrown out as a "really bad guy" and we moved along.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
"Do you know who Satan is?"
His response was, "Does he sell donuts?

I really, really hope you said yes.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously - I think Satan invented donuts. Or just sugar in general. He is definitely the motivating force behind soda.

Too cute PSI [Smile]

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Sugar's a human invention. High-Fructose Corn Syrup, now...

My daughter regularly refers to elevators and escalators as alligators.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TH
Member # 11441

- posted      Profile for TH           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread rocks. I know I have a million hilarious things my siblings have said, but here's juts a few off the top of my head...

My brother Mark, age 4: "My body says it's time to eat candy."

A few weeks ago, my family went out to dinner, and we all got out of the car and went into the restaurant. I was the last person through the door, and four-year-old Mark held the door valiantly for me. After I was in the restaurant, I said "Mark, thank you for holding the door for me." He replied politely, "You're welcome!" and then paused for a second before adding, "It was very nice of me."

Matthew, age six: "Mom, if you light a match on fire and put it in your mouth, is that basically smoking?"
Mom: "No, that's basically burning your mouth."

Posts: 23 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
Sugar's a human invention.

Who invented the sugar beet? Sugar cane?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TH
Member # 11441

- posted      Profile for TH           Edit/Delete Post 
Sugar Cain - Abel was more of a Splenda kind of person.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, these days, you would probably say Monsanto, actually...
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Pretty sure neither of the aforementioned species have had the frankenfood treatment. Even if they did, I think my point stands.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Emma (angry that Maggie pulled her hair): "We shouldn't have had this baby."
Me: "That is not a nice thing to say. Say, 'I am frustrated because the baby pulled my hair.'"
Emma: "I am frustrated that we have this baby."

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Lego: "Say, 'Guess what? I love you!'"
Me: "Guess what? I love you SO much, [Lego]!"
Lego: "Guess what? I don't love you."
Me: "That makes me feel really sad. Were you just teasing?"
Lego: "Yeah, I was just teasing."
Me: "Well, we shouldn't tease about things like that. You hurt my feelings."
Lego: "Guess what? I love you."
Me: "I love you too."
Lego: "Do your feelings feel better now?"

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

My family still uses my childhood word "uppalator" for elevator.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brinestone:
"Do your feelings feel better now?"

[Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Emma (angry that Maggie pulled her hair): "We shouldn't have had this baby."
Me: "That is not a nice thing to say. Say, 'I am frustrated because the baby pulled my hair.'"
Emma: "I am frustrated that we have this baby."

Ha!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
quote:

My family still uses my childhood word "uppalator" for elevator.
That's great!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
That uppalates my day. Thanks.
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to convey the cuteness, but my three year old has started making up stories, and he draws illustrations for them. (Actually I think he scribbles chaotically and then assigns meaning to the shapes and then comes up with the stories.)

Anyway, last night, he had a long one for us. Pointing to various scribbles:

This is my rocket. Oh no, the rocket explode! I'm in the river in my boat, I am fishing and this is my helmet. My helmet is losted in the river! I have to find it. I find my fishing hat. I am a fisher man.

It went on much longer than that but I don't remember all of it.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Random conversation I just walked in on:

My daughter, to my son: You drink beer for breakfast, pirate!
My son: ARRRRR...what? (Then, in a very pirate-y accent) No, really, what did you say?

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are the videos of Aerin learning to say /ba/:

Video1
Video2

She's since said "thank you," "I did it," "hi momma," and "help." So exciting.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

!!! How cool! I've never seen Aerin before either. She's adorable. [Big Grin]
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] I'm just grinning all over for you, Mrs. M.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
The speech therapist kept putting Aerin's hand to her mouth when saying /ba/. Do you know what that does to help her? I found the video exciting and fascinating at the same time. [Smile]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for Aerin! That's awesome!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
One time, I was riding with my (5 at the time) nephew in the car when he looked up at me and asked if I wanted to hear a joke.

Me: Sure
Him: What's green and flies?
Me: I don't know. What?

At this point, he looked up at me without moving his head (out of the corner of his eye, but up a little) with the most mischievous little grin I've ever seen and said

Him: Super Pickle.

I completely lost it...

Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sylvrdragon:
I completely lost it...

Don't worry, I did too. [ROFL]
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

My 20 month old surprised me today. I got home late after everyone else had dinner. I heated up my plate and plopped down to eat...she climbed up next to me, and as she often does, asked if I would share with her. "Bite?" she asked.

"I thought you already had dinner!" I responded.

Her little mouth looked a bit wry, as she leaned toward me, putting a hand gently on my shoulder. She looked me in the eye, and softly said -

"Die."

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Emma just saw the ROFL emoticon and asked, "Why is he rolling over being happy?"
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Tales of Yanai (friends' 3-year-old... and it took me until I was about 12 or 13 to realize that I'm not actually related to this family, so we're really close!):

Here is what you need to know for the purposes of these stories: Yanai is the cutest little boy in the world. His parents are both deaf (his mother completely, his father almost), and he's really intelligent about this, and maneuvers it really well, especially considering he's three! Yesterday, we had dinner with him and his big family at the grandparents' house. Here are some little anecdotes:

I was pretending to eat Yanai's fingers. And when he just looked at me, I said "what, do you need your hands, or something?" To which he responded, in all seriousness, "No, I already know how to walk."

Yanai was playing with bubble wrap. He went to his grandfather, and said "Saba, did you hear?" and then to his aunt: "Gili, did you hear?" and then his uncle: "Tom, did you hear?" until finally he went around the circle to his mother, and said "Ima, did you see?" [Big Grin]

Yanai was trying to tell his mother something. He knows that when he talks to her he has to speak slowly and clearly, always looking at her, so she can read his lips. She didn't understand whatever he said, so he repeated it, more slowly this time, and then said "now, Ima, repeat what I said so I know you heard me!"

SO cute. I'm in love with this child.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Her little mouth looked a bit wry, as she leaned toward me, putting a hand gently on my shoulder. She looked me in the eye, and softly said -

"Die."

O_O

Please tell me she speaks Hebrew!

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

"Die."

Reminded me of this.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this counts.

Today Sasha--now 8-- was with us when we visited the local Goodwill. Its a great Goodwill, with lots of good merchandise cheap. Sasha's been growing well, and out growing pants, so picking up some recycled pants for $5 was our goal.

Sasha found something else.

On one of the counters was a wooden box, with the words "Holy Bible" etched into it along with a cross. Inside the box was a pretty fine family Bible. The cost $4.00.

Sasha looked it all over, than grabbed it and ran to us. "Look Papa, its only $4. And its got the book and everything. Can I have it. Can I."

Our son now owns his own Bible.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Wow, Sasha is EIGHT?!?

Time flies when it's someone else's life! [Big Grin]

scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

"Die."

O_O

Please tell me she speaks Hebrew!

That might explain it. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

Was that a confirmation?
scifibum
Member # 7625

No, she doesn't speak Hebrew. AFAIK.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Okay, so I really hope this will be taken in the spirit in which it is intended. I was shocked and amused my this. My son was raving about how cool it is that everyone in the world celebrates Christmas, so I had to give him a little reality check. I told him that most people don't celebrate Christmas, and lots of people in our very own town don't celebrate it. I explained to him that some people celebrate Hanukkah during this time period, for example, and they don't celebrate Christmas at all. Needless to say, my kid was fascinated by this concept.

At any rate, there we are, driving around doing Christmas shopping, and my son is singing a sort of Christmas version of The Cheat's theme song when he belts out this one line that made me CRY. It went like this:

"Who's the guys who celebrate Hanukkah?
THE Jewish people. THE Jewish people.
Ummmmm...who's the guys who celebrate Christmas?
Not Jewish People, not Jewish people,
JEWISH PEOPLE. Jewish people."

Of course, at that moment I was very grateful that no one else was in the car with us, but here I am putting it on Hatrack, the one place I'm almost guaranteed to get flamed for it. But I'm just glad my son is developing social awareness. [Big Grin]

Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Sasha and faith.

Yeah, there we were driving my parents out to go shopping yesterday when 8 year old Sasha decided to become a theological student.

Amongst his questions, for which he wanted answers that were short and simple...

"What is the Bible anyway?"

"Does every Church have there own, or are they all the same?"

"Wouldn't it be great if every church used the same Bible...(meaning every religion used the same Holy Text)."

My Jewish raised father, Lutheran raised mother, and Catholic wife had a fun time trying to answer the questions without stepping on anyone's toes. I was busy driving...and laughing.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
No, she doesn't speak Hebrew.

Better keep her teeth slightly blunted then. [Wink]

PSI, I find that amusing, not remotely offensive. [Big Grin]

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to write this down before I forget it.

The four-year-old said something about needing to have a bath so we could be all clean for going to Nana's on Christmas Eve.

Her ten-year-old brother said, "Ancient wisdom: The girl is wise."

Four-year-old: "I'm not wise. I just know everything."

We were all laughing out loud.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

I was just sitting on the couch when Lego approached me with a baby toy that sort of has wing-like things on it.

"Put your Mary blanket on so the angel can talk to you," Lego said.

I did as instructed, then sat back down.

"Stand up so the angel can talk to you."

I did. "What's the angel going to tell me?" I asked.

"It's going to tell you that you'd better have a baby."

rivka
Member # 4859

[ROFL]

(Darn. One of my kids said something the other day I meant to post here, and now I don't remember what it was.)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.