FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My kids say awesome things. (Page 5)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: My kids say awesome things.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any kids, so these are Other People's Children stories:

One day I rang my friend's doorbell and her two girls answered. While the older went to get her mother, the 2 1/2-year-old stood looking at me. "You piggy!" she announced.

"I'm a piggy?" I asked her. She just laughed at me like I was being incredibly dense. Then it dawned on me. I was dressed up with a dress, heels, and makeup, and they were used to seeing me in sweats or jeans. "Alayna, are you telling me I look pretty?"

"Yes!" she announced, and went running off in embarrassed giggles. Is it any wonder I've always loved that child?

This past summer, I stayed with another friend and her family for several weeks. I shared a room with 6-year-old Lucy, who never had a thought she didn't express, and she has many, many thoughts. She starts the day talking and stops when she finally falls asleep.

I eventually realized that having someone to express herself to was more important than my actually listening, so I stopped paying constant attention after a while. This did not staunch Lucy's endless flow of chatter one bit. But one night I heard her say, "I wonder why I'm lying here on my back just talking and talking and talking?" (I supressed a giggle and refrained from answering, and soon she was on to the next train of thought.)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
I was staying somewhere for the weekend and taught the 4yo to wish on dandelion seeds. After wishing for princesses and ponies she suddenly came out with:
"I wish to be a man"

I guess she got over it though becauses at dinner that night she said to her father:
"Abba, you're a man and Ima's not. HA HA HA HA HA"

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Uprooted: my daughter has asked me, while staring up at the ceiling after her bedtime story, "Why can't I fall asleep? I'm just lying here talking and talking and not sleeping at all."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Tom, sounds like Lucy has a kindred spirit!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Not so much said, but amusing still. My daughter has a fisher price nativity set. She repeatedly throws Joseph out and replaces him with one of the kings. Not even two, but already a materialist.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, Adena, I don't believe I've welcomed you to Hatrack. So, welcome! [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

Aww Thanks! [Smile]
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We were at Target today and Bridget kept climbing on to the empty spaces on the shelves. After hearing us repeatedly tell her to get down, Emma saw her climb back up and said, "Bridget, get off the shelf! You're selling yourself!"
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
that is awesome, kq!
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I wonder how much you could have gotten for her.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

That's great, KQ.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Today I heard: "Daddy, will you send me a telegram?"

I could not figure out where he had learned about telegrams, so I asked. Turns out it was "Teddy Grahm."

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Her little mouth looked a bit wry, as she leaned toward me, putting a hand gently on my shoulder. She looked me in the eye, and softly said -

"Die."

O_O

Please tell me she speaks Hebrew!

I'm lost. What does "die" mean in Hebrew?
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
It means "stop," or "enough." Not quite the same as in English. [Smile]

Adena, welcome to Hatrack! It's always nice to see another poster use the words "Ima" and "Aba"! [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

Glad you liked it : ) Here's another

When my sister was about 3 we were celebrating my uncle'd birthday. He's Israeli so my cousins call him Abba. They all kept on saying "Happy birthday Abba" So then my sister waited for everyone to quiet down and said her own "happy birthday abba"

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
My nearly 15 year old son saw "Marley and Me" with a friend yesterday. His friend said that he didn't like the movie at all, to which Nathan replied, "You only didn't like it because the ending made us both cry."

*my sweet boy*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Sophie, about setting the table for a visiting friend: "We should put something special on her plate so she knows she's a little special, but not quite as very special as me."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] I love children. And your child does sound rather extremely like Lola, Tom.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Well - it's not quite stuff they say but... Have you ever watched 5-year-olds trying to play basketball??? My son had his first game yesterday. It was the funniest thing I'd seen in a LONG time! After running back and forth so many times, he would get tired and just sit down on the court! My aunt has SO many pictures of him "taking a knee" and putting his chin in his palm.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Brinestone, to answer your question a few pages back - the speech therapist puts Aerin's hand on her lips so that she can feel the proper way to shape her mouth when making the sound. Since Aerin's palate is malformed, she needs to be physically shown how to shape her mouth to make each different sound. It also helps, in a behavior-mod kind of way, to make the gesture a prompt. Aerin has sensory issues with her mouth, so it took a while before she would let anyone shape her lips or cheeks.

We were at shul yesterday and one of the "older" boys (around 5) was following Aerin around. This happens fairly regularly, so we didn't take much notice. During lunch, Andrew got up to stop Aerin from going into the sanctuary (I shudder to think of what she could do there if left to her own devices). Zach had followed her in there and he asked Andrew if he was Aerin's dad. Andrew said he was and Zach said, "Oh, okay," and ran over to his mom. It was much funnier than it sounds. Andrew is very soft-spoken and didn't use any kind of forceful tone. Zach didn't seem visibly upset or scared or anything, but he didn't go near Aerin again. I didn't mention this to Andrew, because he gets self-conscious, but sometimes little kids are afraid of him because he's so tall. He's the tallest man in our shul by quite a lot (he's 6'5'' and very few of our other gentlemen are over 6'). On the other hand, some little kids instantly adore him and think he's the coolest. Last week a little boy came up to him and told him he looked nice and shook his hand. It was hysterical, especially since Andrew had no idea what to make of it.

The 5-year-old twin sons of our friends were telling me about their art class:

Aidan: Tristan doesn't like it because there are too many ugly girls.
Tristan: They're not cute like Baby Aerin.
Aidan: And they probably don't listen to their mommies.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Raia:
It means "stop," or "enough." Not quite the same as in English. [Smile]

Yeah. I know many stories about young children who have recently come to the US from Israel (or who were visiting) tell strangers in supermarkets "DIE!" Usually to the horror of the stranger (who just got a bit too close, or who was overly enthusiastic about the kid's cuteness, or coat, or whatever) and the mortification of the parent.

(For extra fun with this scenario, the child should speak no English and the parent should be barely fluent in English. [Wink] )

Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently asked my 6yo what he was doing on my laptop. "I'm just googling". Then the other day I hear him say, "Well when I was on youtube the other day...."

Apparently we need to stricter internet protocols in our house. Never thought I'd need the internet discussion for my 6 yo! [Eek!]

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Emma to Bridget, as we watched Bedknobs and Broomsticks: "This is Graham Crackers and Breadsticks."
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

"Mexico is made out of corn." -Emma, out of the blue
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
kq, I wonder if Emma meant mexican food is made out of corn.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

When asked for clarification, she said, "The people who lived in Mexico just planted lots of corn. They planted corn seeds and the corn just grew. Lots and lots of corn, it was just all over. I like corn tortillas."

Just now:

KPC (to me, about Emma, who was rambling a bit): "She just doesn't stop! She goes on and on and on..."
Emma: "And off and off..."

Raia
Member # 4700

*giggle*
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Bridget: "I am going on time out now. Emma, you're coming too!"
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Just now, Haley looked up at me and said: "Daddy go 'neigh!' Daddy! Daddy neigh?"

I replied, "Neigh," at which point she clapped and walked away.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Today, playing with a friend:

Sophie: "One is the smallest number."
Friend: "But what about zero? Zero is smaller."
Sophie: "Hm. Yes, zero is very small. True. But zero is really mostly an 'O', and 'O' is entirely a letter and not a number, really."

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I wonder how much you could have gotten for her.

At Target?? I wouldn't go for a toddler if it wasn't three for the price of two, and a name brand. No off brand generic babies in my house.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Hey. The Archer Farms toddlers, while they're a bit saltier and fattier than your average toddler, are perfectly presentable.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Sophie: "Hm. Yes, zero is very small. True. But zero is really mostly an 'O', and 'O' is entirely a letter and not a number, really."

She argues just like her dad. [Big Grin]
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
:: snort ::
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday morning my son was making a birthday card for one of my brothers. We were talking and I happened to mention my 18-year-old brother's middle name - Christopher.

My son goes, "No, no Christopher."
I said, "Yes, Brock's middle name is Christopher, just like yours is Jacob."
Son: Nuh uh - I never heard Christopher.
Me: But that is his middle name. You're Azriel Jacob and he's Brock Christopher and Cole is Cole Ryan.
Son: *laughs* That's funny.
(Why he thought that was funny I have no idea, but then I was going to test him)
Me: What's Seth's middle name? (Seth is my 14-year-old brother, the baby of the family)
Son: *rolls his eyes* That's easy. Gregory! Seth Gregory! [Grandma] says that ALL THE TIME!

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Laugh]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Heh heh heh. That's why they have middle names, you know-- so they know when they're in trouble. [Razz]
rivka
Member # 4859

Precisely. [Big Grin]
Raia
Member # 4700

I don't have a middle name! Maybe that's why I was such a good kid. [Razz]
rivka
Member # 4859

Maybe that's why you THINK you were, anyway. [Wink]
dkw
Member # 3264

John, while wearing a dinosaur shirt was eating a donut and roaring.

Me: Are you a donut eating dinosaur?
John: No!
Me: Are you a donut eating John?
John: No! I'm John, eating a donut.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[ROFL]
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
A conversation with my daughter, about my friend, Nathalie's, cats:

Jillian: Mom! Alex and Tesla could be married!
Me: Maybe they are married. They like each other.
Jillian: No, they're not married! Tesla already has a husband!
Me: Who?
Jillian, with an exasperated sigh: He's wild, and when he came here it wasn't with his husband, and his husband isn't here, he's in the wild! (Not completely sure which "he's" belong to Tesla and which to the "husband". We're have a bit of a problem with sex-specific pronouns.)
Me: No, Nathalie brought Tesla home when she was little, before she could have a husband.
Jillian: *dramatic gasp* We should get Tesla a husband!
Me: But why can't Alex be her husband? (Keep in mind, Jillian was the one who had this idea in the first place.)
Jillian: BECAUSE. They don't have babies, so that means they aren't in love!

I sense a "facts of life" discussion on the horizon.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

I love this thread. You parents are all hereby commanded to keep posting.
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Lego was playing with play-doh this morning. He had a flat piece of play-doh and a baby-carrot-shaped piece. He decided the carrot shape was a nose and stuck it in the middle of the flat piece. Next he rolled out a smile and put it under the nose.

"Remember," he told me. "Eyes are like balls, so I'm going to make a ball for his eye."

Yeah, I took a picture of his play-doh self-portrait. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

"Bridget, you are in trouble."
"No I'm not."
"Yes you are. You are in trouble now."
"No, I'm not In Trouble, I'm Bridget!"

Brinestone
Member # 5755

Hahahahaha! Clever kid.

Lego today, with a measuring tape: "I'm going to weigh how much [Duplo] costs."

dkw
Member # 3264

Heh. John is in the same phase as Bridgit.

Me: Let's change your diaper, you're wet.
John: No! No, I'm not!
Me: Yes you are.
John: No! I'm not wet! I'm John.

scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
My kids do the same thing.

"Are you being a goofball again"
"No, I'm being Trevor."

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.