FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My kids say awesome things. (Page 7)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: My kids say awesome things.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what's funny? Sophie just told that very same joke today (the reverse of what is the traditional reversal).
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
"You've been very patient on our trip through the supermarket, so I'd like to get you a treat. What would you like?"

"...Can I have a bagel?"

And she was serious. I love my daughter. [Smile]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"No, Haley! Don't run into the road! For you will surely die!"
I don't remember who first mentioned it, but now whenever I hear anything from Sophie I hear it in a Lola voice (from Charlie and Lola). It just fits so perfectly.

Any anytime I hear about anything from Squoose, I smile, because I named him. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Annie:
"No, actually. There's no Sunday in Star Wars."

I love that, on several levels.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Bryn: "Dad, infinity is bigger than any number, right?"
Me: "Right."
Bryn: "Just like love."

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
"Get them out of there!"
"What?"
"There's something fizzing in my foot!"

Nothing on his foot, but very worried look on his face. The light dawns . . .

"Were you sitting with that foot underneath you?"
"Uh huh. And now there's something fizzing in there."

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

[Big Grin] That sounds like a perfect description of the feeling I used to try to describe to my mother when I was a child. I used to tell her there were worms in my foot. She never could get what I meant.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Just be glad you didn't become an episode of House. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you might've ended up losing the foot.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a bit of St. Patty's fun...

While changing my two-month old's diaper my six-year old asked, "Why is her poop green today?"

Me: I don't know.

Her: Probably because it's St. Patrick's Day.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Lego brought me Radiohead's My Iron Lung this evening and said he wanted to listen to music.

"You have interesting taste," I said. "Go give the CD to Daddy, and he'll play it on his computer for you."

Lego promptly brought the CD to Jon Boy and said, "I want to listen to Interesting Taste."

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I want a kid.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
That's super cute, Ruth. [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brinestone:
Lego brought me Radiohead's My Iron Lung this evening and said he wanted to listen to music.

"You have interesting taste," I said. "Go give the CD to Daddy, and he'll play it on his computer for you."

Lego promptly brought the CD to Jon Boy and said, "I want to listen to Interesting Taste."

Does Lego actually prefer Radiohead, or did he just grab random music? I desperately want to believe the former is true. [Wink]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure whether he likes Radiohead, but he apparently enjoyed U2's Pop the other day, which I take to be a good sign. He actually likes to dance to quite a bit of my music.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to shamelessly steal kid stories from friends. These are way too funny not to post.

quote:
R: I can't buckle my car seat! The straps were tightened!!
Mom: Who tightened them?
R: GOD did it. God ALWAYS tightens my car seat straps. God always does bad things.
Mom: No, R., God NEVER does bad things. So if tightening your car seat straps is a bad thing, we know God did not do it.
R: Oh. It was the ALIENS. (pronounced OWL-iens).

A few days later, we were all in the car and we were passing by some construction. There were traffic cones, and a blinking arrow sign held in place by sandbags.
R: There's the pigbags.
Mom: What?
R: The PIG BAGS.
J: Those little bags. They have pigs in them.
Mom: lots of little pigs or one big pig?
J: One little pig. With some food in the bag too so the pig stays alive.
Mom: How do they get the pigs to lay still and not walk away?
J: Well, they put pig medicine in the bag too that makes the pig want to sleep. They mix it in with the pig food, so when the pig wakes up he eats a little of the food and then goes back to sleep.
R: Let's stop the car and get a pigbag!
J: Yes and we will take it home and give it good pig food without medicine and then we will have a pet pig!

They were very disappointed that we did not stop the car and get a pigbag.

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

- posted      Profile for malanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter asked, "What are these bumps on my tongue?"
My wife replied, "Taste buds"
She replied, "oooooh, gross. Taste butts!"

Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Traceria, that's great! Do you have any idea how they got the pig bag idea into their heads? Is thier parent going to go find a construction area that isn't heavily trafficked and let them get out and inspect the bags?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Traceria, that's great! Do you have any idea how they got the pig bag idea into their heads? Is thier parent going to go find a construction area that isn't heavily trafficked and let them get out and inspect the bags?

I did quiz my friend (the mom of the two kids is a friend of this friend), and she said the younger kid, R., is three and the older one is four or five and has a creative and highly active imagination. I'm afraid that's all the explanation I've got, though it seems all the more amazing of an idea because of that!
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
Originally posted by malanthrop:
My daughter asked, "What are these bumps on my tongue?"
My wife replied, "Taste buds"
She replied, "oooooh, gross. Taste butts!"

Reminds me of a funny thing my 5 year old said yesterday. He saw a picture of a Transformer toy in a mailer, and asked "who" it was. (He loves Transformers but only knows the names of 6 or 7 of them.) It wasn't labeled so I tried making up a name. "Sonic...B-" I stalled on thinking of a good B word. He piped up with "Butt!" My wife cracked up (probably thinking of me [Embarrassed] ). Sensitive kid that he is he quickly came up with "Blast" instead, which I thought made a pretty good Transformer name: Sonic Blast.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

Pig bags?!? [ROFL]

Sonic Blast ... isn't that Sonic's answer to the Dairy Queen Blizzard?

martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
Sonic Blast sounds like a Power Ranger to me. Mystic Force, Jungle Fury, and Sonic Blast. [Smile]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Well now those sound like energy drink flavors to me.
Sterling
Member # 8096

My daughter: Does my face look clean?
Me: Um... From where I'm standing. Did mommy ask you to wash your face?
Yes.
Then you should wash your face.
But I already did!
Really? When?
Hmm?
When?
{points to the bathroom}
*sigh* Not where, sweetie. When.
When what?
{head against wall} Dear, our daughter has trapped me in a vaudville comedy routine...

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*giggle*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Ok, so I spend a lot of my time babysitting and nanny-ing. I may not be old enough to have my own kids, but I am certainly old enough to pass on pearls of wisdom from my charges. [Smile]

So, Maggie (5):

"What if I caught a star and held it in my tummy and I would glow at night? The wind would blow me up there and bring me back."

"My dad's taller than weasels."

"I'm just like a bag full of food...a talking bag."

"A train is absolutely bigger than corn."

"What if the sidewalk had a part that wasn't there, and you rode your bike and hit something that wasn't there...a pointy thing that wasn't there?" (This one was her trying to grapple with the concept of invisibility...I think.)

"Mommy, have you ever dipped God in ketchup" (My personal favorite -- there was some sort of lead-up to this that explained it somewhat, but I've since forgotten it.)

"My boredness is getting lower. Less and less of me is bored!" (This was said with great excitement during a long car trip.)

"Mom, I'm more about butterflies and glitter." (Said to her mother while shopping with her grandmother to get Maggie an Easter dress. Mom and Grandma picked out several lovely and age-appropriate dresses, while Maggie went for the why-are-there-these-dresses-for-young-children trampy numbers, because she wanted to look like Dancing with the Stars.)

Another set-up here: when Maggie first started asking what thought bubbles or dialogue bubbles are in comic books and such, she said something like, "I had a dream and I couldn't remember something, so I looked up at that cloud above my head to see what I was thinking."

On Election Day last November Maggie got in the car after school and expounded upon Abraham Lincoln as follows:
"Oh, and there's a name I remember. It's Abraham Lincoln. He was sitting down eating popcorn. He was watching a movie, and then they killed him. They had a picture of him after he finished eating his popcorn."

Maggie will periodically pick up some random object in the room, hold it behind her back, and say she has a present for me. She came up to me at one point saying this, but her arm was cocked back over her shoulder as though she'd just done the backswing for a tennis serve. I said, "You're not going to whack me with whatever you're holding, are you?" to which she responded, "No, it's not a whacking present." Hmmm...

Dialogue between Maggie and her mother:
Maggie: Is the world really full of magic?
Mom: Well, no.
Maggie (indignant): Yes, it is!
Mom: How do you know?
Maggie: Because things change. Seasons, months, days...

Naomi (8):

"I want to be the child who sits on Shani's head!"

Leah (6):

(Jamming to her iPod when I walked in the room, looked at me and announced) "You're always beautiful to meeeee!"

(After having made something at WonderLab camp that she didn't want her sister to see) "SHANI! Will you destroy Naomi while I hide this?" (I'm fairly certain she meant DISTRACT Naomi...)

While both girls were in my car, I was playing the Mulan soundtrack for them... When "Reflection" came on, I was singing along and kind of dancing in the front seat, trying to amuse them. Leah looked at me solemnly and said "Shani, you're rocking out too much."

I think that's enough for now...

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Dialogue between Maggie and her mother:
Maggie: Is the world really full of magic?
Mom: Well, no.
Maggie (indignant): Yes, it is!
Mom: How do you know?
Maggie: Because things change. Seasons, months, days...

Wisdom out of the mouths of babes.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
We were at a get-together and this young girl, perhaps four, approached my father and, pointing to his paunch, questioned, "Why are you still eating? You look full."

He passed on dessert.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
During the last week of pre-K for my 5-yr old son, they went over the letter "Z". When asked to draw pictures of things that start with Z, he drew a zombie. I was so proud of him.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Emma: "I am always right. And sometimes a little wrong."
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

:: laugh ::

What was the context for that one, KQ?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
There was no context. She said it, out of the blue, while helping her sister get her pull-up on. [ROFL]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aiua:
We were at a get-together and this young girl, perhaps four, approached my father and, pointing to his paunch, questioned, "Why are you still eating? You look full."

He passed on dessert.

[ROFL]
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
There was no context. She said it, out of the blue, while helping her sister get her pull-up on. [ROFL]

[Smile] That's great!
Raia
Member # 4700

Another pearl from Leah today:

I was folding a piece of paper in half so that I could tear it along the crease.

Leah looked at me and said "We have scissors, you know. We're not in olden times."

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Emma (this was actually a while back, but it has become a running joke):

"Cats are tidy, because they poop in their litterbox. Dogs are loosey, because they poop on the sidewalk."

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Raia:
Another pearl from Leah today:

I was folding a piece of paper in half so that I could tear it along the crease.

Leah looked at me and said "We have scissors, you know. We're not in olden times."

[ROFL]
scifibum
Member # 7625

My three year old Trevor has adopted a funny pattern of saying certain things:

"Ice cream: Daddy says yes. "
"Go to wal-mart: Mommy says no."
"Do a puzzle: Daddy says yes."

What makes it funnier is he tends to issue these declarations before he knows whether they are true. [Smile]

Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister was pregnant with my niece and she had to explain to her son what was going on (my nephew)

Mom: A, do you know what Mommy has in her tummy?
A: ::shakes head::
Mom: Mommy has a BABY in her tummy!
A: ::stuffs a pillow under his shirt:: I have an ALLIGATOR in MY tummy!

Different pregnant mom and different kid:

K: Why is your tummy so big?
Mom: I have a BABY in my tummy
K: ::gives a sickened look:: you ATE a BABY?!?!? ::runs away::

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL

My 3-year-old is in his why phase, and sometimes he stumps me, like when he asked "Why is the sky big?"

Today topped them all. He asked, "Why is my penis round?"

Um....

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Sasha: Momma, you and Daddy can't dance.
Momma: Why not.
Sasha: Its just odd. Daddy's bald and your old.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Christine, because if it were square it would be sharp? You might point out that arms and legs are also "round".
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Christine, because if it were square it would be sharp? You might point out that arms and legs are also "round".

That occurred to me later, but too late. I have trouble answering these things in the moment and later I'm not sure he remembers.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Odds are he'll ask again.

Probably loudly, and in public. [Wink]

Christine
Member # 8594

LOL
Sterling
Member # 8096

My daughter is spinning back and forth in place while sitting in an overstuffed chair, marker in hand.

My wife: "Athena, careful! Don't get marker on that- thing!"

My daughter pauses, looks back, looks at her mother, and says, "Mommy, that 'thing' is a chair."

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.