FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My kids say awesome things. (Page 6)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: My kids say awesome things.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brinestone:

Lego today, with a measuring tape: "I'm going to weigh how much [Duplo] costs."

[ROFL]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Brinestone, that is ADORABLE.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife made the mistake of playing one of our Dr. Demento CD's while Sasha was in ear shot. Ever since he's been singing "Polka Dot Undies" at random intervals.

Not the whole song--just "Polka Dot Undies".

Those not familiar with that song, its a song where rude, dirty, and purely x-rated words are replaced with the phrase "Polka Dot Undies". Sasha doesn't understand the references, but just likes saying "Polka Dot Undies".

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
First signs of synesthesia in my son, or just general goofiness?

We were eating stir-fry last night, and my son was contemplating a strip of green pepper. "This kind of looks like a snowshoe," he said.
"I think you mean a ski," I said. "Or maybe a sled." (You know, because it was long and skinny and curved up at the end.)
So he licks it veeeeery slowly with his eyes closed then says, "It's a sled."

O_o

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably general goofiness.

Got your attention, didn't it? [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely goofiness. But it made a really funny image. Like, what if the only sense you had was taste (and smell, I guess, to some degree), and you had to figure out what things were by licking them?

Actually, forget it. That idea is creeping me out. Sounds like one of OSC's older short stories. (Feel free to use it, Mr. Card. [Big Grin] )

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
We let John sleep in today since he didn't have preschool. When I went in to check on him he opened his eyes, extended both arms to me and said "Carry me to french toast."
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
We let John sleep in today since he didn't have preschool. When I went in to check on him he opened his eyes, extended both arms to me and said "Carry me to french toast."

When you think about it, isn't it amazing? Children that young are not necessarily truly fluent in English yet, but many are able to master those nuances of language and timing (not to mention facial expression) well enough to come up with stuff that is just plain guaranteed to provoke a laugh.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, come to think of it . . . maybe fluency is not really an issue. Because sometimes the most hilarious moments come from someone who is not yet fluent in a language, but manages to nail the funny in that language perfectly anyway. And I think that part of what makes it so funny is the unexpectedness.

This comes both from observing others speaking English as a second language, and being immersed in Portuguese as a missionary--and sometimes it was even me getting those laughs! That is, of course, aside from the laughs that come as a result of embarrassing gaffes in the second language. Which I guess are often a source of humor at children's expense as well.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:

Whoa. Tonight, Jon Boy made Duplo "fly" into his high chair. Lego said, "Fly me to my dinner too, Daddy!" Eerily similar utterances.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

My youngest has new glasses frames. They have hinges at the joints that are v-shaped. (Can't find any images online, but the joint is along the ear piece, not at the curve.) Sort of like the tip of a needle-nose pliers.

She has declared that these are fish mouths. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Emma:

"Giants are strong. They are strong as Abba."

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Do they sing "Dancing Queen"?

*rimshot*

rivka
Member # 4859

[Laugh]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You would not believe how long it took me to get that.
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, when I read "Abba", the first thing I thought of was the group, and it took me a minute to realize the word was referring to "father."

On another note, my 5-year-old asked me a couple weeks ago: "Does Satan live on this planet?"
Me: "Uhh, I suppose he lives on this planet, but not anywhere around here, and people can't see him."
Him: "Well, then who has to live next to Satan?"

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
My son went through a recent growth spurt.

He outgrew most of his underwear. We got him some new stuff.

He was ecstatic. "I got size 10s. I got size 10s. Time to do the undie dance." And as soon as he put them on, he was dancing.

How many kids love the present of underwear?

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
How many kids love the present of underwear?

My mom says that I wanted a potty (I announced it to her in the store as she was going past the potty training seats on the way to buy more diapers for me) so I "could wear pretty panties". [Big Grin]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

I used to love getting underwear. And I still appreciate the present of underwear. I'm 22.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*makes notes for next Christmas' gift exchange*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Ha!
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
When my older brother first got underwear I took a pair because it had power rangers on it. Eventually I got some with disney princesses but I still think he got the better deal.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

My 9-year-old daughter just explained to me why she says "Ahach!" instead of "Aha!"

It's the Jewish version, just like "Noach" v. "Noah".

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
My 9-year-old daughter just explained to me why she says "Ahach!" instead of "Aha!"

It's the Jewish version, just like "Noach" v. "Noah".

[ROFL] I love it!
Raia
Member # 4700

Hehe!
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

No. I refuse to do another lame 80's band joke.
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Marlozhan - that's great! So, who does have to live next to Satan?

Azriel (my 5-year-old) has recently started playing basketball. We have a horrid time trying to get him to stop diving onto the floor every time he runs up and down the court. We thought it was just because he likes to be silly. So, this week we were at my 14-year-old brother's basketball game and two of the kids ended up on the floor fighting for the ball.

Azriel turned to me and said, "See mommy! I told you! When you play basketball, you have to be on the FLOOR! That's what the real players do." Then he turned away from me and crossed his arms over his chest.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

Random stiory I just remembered:

I once said something to my sister about the 10 Commandments and she said "but originally there were 15 except Moshe dropped one of the tablets" I spent about 10 minutes rolling around on the floor as she turned bright red. The really sad thing is that apparently 1 scene in a Mel Brooks movie is enough to override 15 years of Jewish day school.

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

>_<

*snicker*

adenam
Member # 11902

and I'm never gonna let her live it down
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't my kid who said it, but I was a witness.

I've been in Williamsburg, VA with my extended family on vacation for the past few days. The day we walked through the Colonial Williamsburg area, we checked out this old church (don't ask me the name now), and were looking at some old grave markers outside:
8-year-old cousin #1: Hey, they buried that guy under a plant!
My dad: Maybe it grew there after they buried him.
8-year-old #2: Maybe they buried him and he turned into a tree!!!

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
>.> HAHAHAAAA, hee hee hoo hoo......
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
The other day Lego was playing with some little animal toys at my sister-in-law's apartment. One of the toys was a seal, and I asked Lego if he knew where seals live, expecting an answer like "In the water." Instead he answered, "In Canada!" We have NO idea where he got that.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hehehe...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
When my husband leaves, my daughter cries. I tell her, "it's ok, Daddy's combing back." My husband left for classes and went through the backyard to talk to the fencers before he left. Our dog was barking like crazy. My little girl said, "Marsy, it's ok, Daddy's coming back."
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I love this thread.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope the fencers were careful with their swords with children and dogs around.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

You know your kids watch to much anime when you have this conversation with your six-year-old daughter:

Me: Are the cats fighting again?
Jilly: No, they're sparring.
Me: They're sparring? Why?
Jilly: Because they're rivals.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*giggles*

The kids in the car the other day:

Bridget: "Emma, you in crazy!"
Emma: "No, I'm not crazy, I'm just INSANE!"

Raia
Member # 4700

Hehe!
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

The company I work for teaches elementary kids Magic and Circus Skills (and balloons, puppetry, etc) in after school classes.

OK--we use these fun things to teach important things.

One of our better teachers (and one day famous actress--she plans) mentioned the following conversation that happened last week:

"Do you remember the three rules of magic?"

A child who remembered from the first weeks lesson, "Never tell how its done?"

"Right, anyone else know a rule of magic?"

Another child, "Never do the same trick twice."

"Great. And does anyone else remember the other rule of magic?"

A sweet kindergartner spoke up, "Uh, Never trust the Germans?"

Another, totally unrelated child from across the room added, "Yeah, all Germans are EVIL."

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
One day when I was a school librarian, I came across the kindergarten teacher in the corider beside herself with laughter. She told me that she had been going over the rules of the class. One of the rules was not to tell anyone to "shut up."

Teacher: Okay, can anyone tell me what it is that we aren't supposed to say to each other?

Shy girl in pigtails: Um...b***h?

ETA (Let me know if this is too naughty to post and I will remove it.)

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Sophie: "No, Haley! Don't run into the road! For you will surely die!"
Haley: "Die! Die die die!"

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like a cheat using kids that aren't my own, but I have 15 nieces-and-nephews-to-be and they're so full of good material.

Rose is 4, and we were over at her house around Christmas time and I asked if she knew any funny jokes. She gazed absent-mindedly out the window, telling me a joke that I could tell she was making up on the spot.

"What did the... what did the green Christmas light say to the red Christmas light?"

"I don't know, Rose, what?"

"Um.... you didn't turn off the lights!"

My fiancé and I exchanged smiles. Rose said adamantly, "That was a funny joke. You forgot to laugh."

Another is Adam, who is three and recently enamored of Star Wars. His mom was getting him undressed after church one day, and remarked that his dress shirt was getting to small.

"Yeah, it's too small for me," he agreed. "I can give it to Anakin. Anakin can wear it to..." at this he paused and thought for moment. "No, actually. There's no Sunday in Star Wars."

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

OK, one more. (I had to go verify on my sister-in-law's blog)

The mom is chopping vegetables in the kitchen, and 5-year-old Susanna comes in and asks "Mom, can I have a bikini?"

Mom is a little perplexed. But Susanna comes over and clarifies. Pointing at the zucchini that her mom is chopping, "Please, Mom, can I have some of that bikini?"

"Do you remember what one of these is called?"

"Um.... salami?"

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Sophie: "No, Haley! Don't run into the road! For you will surely die!"
Haley: "Die! Die die die!"

[ROFL]
Annie
Member # 295

Ok, sorry. One more from Rose the 4-year-old:

Rose: “Mom, can I hibernate?”

Mom: “What do you do when you hibernate?”

Rose: “First, you eat some food, and then you go in bed, and you sleep, and you wake up in the morning, and you eat some more, and then you go skiing!”

adenam
Member # 11902

quote:
originally posted by Annie
Rose: “First, you eat some food, and then you go in bed, and you sleep, and you wake up in the morning, and you eat some more, and then you go skiing!”

Great Priorities!
[Wink]

Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
At dinner the other night:

Squoose (who just turned 3): "Knock, knock."
Me: "Who's there?"
Squoose: "Banana"
Me: "Banana who?"
Squoose: "I didn't say orange."

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.