FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do it. DO IT. Yesterday is, tomorrow, or .. something? DOOO ITTT, dreams? DO IT. (Page 19)

This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20   
Author Topic: Do it. DO IT. Yesterday is, tomorrow, or .. something? DOOO ITTT, dreams? DO IT.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yesterday, Politico published a leaked report commissioned by two Republican lobbying groups on how the party can better attract female voters. The report, based on a recent poll of 800 female registered voters as well as a series of focus groups, is titled “Republicans and Women Voters: Huge Challenges, Real Opportunities.” The central challenge facing the Republican party is that women—particularly single women and women who have graduated from college—are “barely receptive” to its policies, and are likely to consider the party “intolerant,” “lacking in compassion,” and “stuck in the past.”

Here’s where the “real opportunity” comes in: If only the Republicans could explain to these women that they are wrong, their votes would come flooding in. The report says that it is a “lack of understanding” between women and Republicans that “closes many minds to Republican policy solutions.” Republicans can attract the female vote by attacking the Democratic claim that GOP policies do not promote “fairness” for women and dealing “honestly with any disagreement on abortion” before moving on to “other issues.”

Today, R.R. Reno, editor of First Things (a journal that promotes “economic freedom” and a “morally serious culture”), published a very helpful essay illustrating how this fresh new strategy might work in practice. Reno begins his piece with a richly-drawn portrait of a hypothetical female Democratic voter: She is a “single, 35-year-old McKinsey consultant living in suburban Chicago who thinks of herself as vulnerable and votes for enhanced social programs designed to protect against the dangers and uncertainties of life.” (Reno does not specify the number of cats she owns, but for the purposes of this discussion, let's assume the answer is "several.") Reno speculates that this woman (whom he has invented and preprogrammed with opinions) feels “judged” by a Republican platform that opposes gay marriage, because “she intuitively senses that being pro-traditional marriage involves asserting male-female marriage as the norm—and therefore that her life isn’t on the right path.” So she votes for the Democrat, who does not appear to be “intolerant” of her lifestyle.

Here comes the part of the exercise where Reno carefully instructs this fantasy lady liberal that she has chosen poorly, and that the Republican party is the logical choice for a woman in her circumstance. This woman is suffering from "various kinds of personal unhappiness related to the lack of clear norms for how to live," Reno writes. She secretly “wants to get married and feels vulnerable because she isn’t and vulnerable because she’s not confident she can." And so, actually, she should support the party that wants to force people into traditional marriages, thus improving her chances of getting married herself. (Perhaps she can marry a gay man?) If only our hypothetical cat lady could get on board, she would get a husband, the Republicans would get another married woman to add to their key demographic, and gay people would get totally screwed. (Yay?)

In short, Republicans understand women plenty—it's women who don't understand themselves. Sounds like a promising strategy that will work with many, many sad single ladies that Republicans have invented in their brains. Next step: Finally granting imaginary women the right to vote.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
HEY GUYS CHECK THIS OUT
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

oh, ok. it worked a bit too well.

Open up this thread in two tabs. Make a post in one tab. Refresh both tabs to the thread to display the new post. Edit and delete the post in one tab. Go to the tab where it is still displayed. Edit your own now deleted post.

deerpark27
Member # 2787

- posted      Profile for deerpark27           Edit/Delete Post 
Samperoonie, it's just you and me!
How are we going to get outta here?

The doctor's gone, his soiled gloves limp on the linoleum. Merde alors! Alors quoi?

I will explain everything.
Encore.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
You silly hacker, you.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
You silly hacker, you.

"No, Dogbreath, YOU are the hackers."

And then Dogbreath was root

Samprimary
Member # 8561

I AM PLEASED ENOUGH TO BE GETTING BETTER ENOUGH THAT I CAN BE BORED BECAUSE I AM NOT ALL TEH WAY WELL AGAIN

IT IS A VERY MOMENTOUS CHANGE FROM BEING TOO SICK TO BE BORED BECAUSE YOU ARE WORRIED INSTEAD

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

Are you definitely allergic to gluten?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
[Frown]

Are you definitely allergic to gluten?

Perhaps you understand Samplish better than me, but shouldn't that be a happy face as it seems like he said he's getting better?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pleased he's not on the verge of death, but ultimately I will be happy when he's well again.

I can see how my initial response seems pessimistic.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

the gluten tests keep producing invariably muddled results. it is suggested by the tests but the evidence threshold for, like, quantified certified status is not quite present. I continue to be on a doctor ordered exclusion diet while my <insert string of expletives> residual symptoms ease off and my <insert longer string of expletives> rheumatoid factor or gout markers or whatever are also checked
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Gluten free is for amateurs. I'm on that FODMAP status
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

i will not be a happy camper if my exclusion diet gets expanded temporarily to fodmap. that said, i have a couple of people i know who can live normally despite their previously crippling ibs because of fodmap
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Their problem is that they don't belong to a party that tells them eating gluten is good for America, and if they don't like it they should get out and go to France and eat surrender cheese.

Also, conception is an act of love, and it's "just two competing theories," and the problem is that both sides are just as bad, and you don't mess with a marine, because San Francisco liberals aren't the *real* America, guns don't kill people, they just help kill people faster and make you feel manly, and a marine will do most of it for you, and anyway everyone knows that a higher minimum wage causes inflation cause it's *obvious*, and the guy working at Starbucks is making Barack HUSSEIN Obama (what, I'm just stating his *full* name), a latte so he can disrespect the troops, no warriors, before there's boobs on the ground.

Did you notice that the wall-street protesters were *clutching* iPhones? Not just holding them. Clutching them. Because children and feeble women clutch things, like handbags, and rattles.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/06/public-affairs-marine-capitalized/

quote:
...“But rules are rules. I mean, who is this guy to just come along, write out Marine in lowercase and spit on the American flag?”
(I've yet to talk to a Marine who gives two shits about the "latte salute" or whatever)
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Nor I. And I have a few close friends in the marines, including a colonel.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Nor I. And I have a few close friends in the marines, including a colonel.
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
the gluten tests keep producing invariably muddled results. it is suggested by the tests but the evidence threshold for, like, quantified certified status is not quite present. I continue to be on a doctor ordered exclusion diet while my <insert string of expletives> residual symptoms ease off and my <insert longer string of expletives> rheumatoid factor or gout markers or whatever are also checked

I've gone semi gluten free, and though I do not have Celiac's, I can say that cutting the gluten out has helped me lose 25 pounds in two weeks, and I already feel like I have more energy.

My biggest worry was bread, as I love it. The only good gluten free bread I have been able to find is made by Udi's. They have it at Winco. (I think you are in California Samprimary, aren't you?)

Hope you are ok and that it isn't anything too serious.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious. Are you subbing in gf baked goods, or are you more or less on the Atkins diet?
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

nearly all of the gluten free foods I rely on (including udis and rudi's bread) are actually worse for you nutritionally speaking if the goal is to lose weight. gluten free as a weight loss strategy? i have no idea how that would work

glutino bread is also good. it shares the same principle weaknesses of all gf bread (teensy baby loaves + easy early spoilage) but it's basically just, y'know, bread

Samprimary
Member # 8561

sent from my clutched iphone
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Is literally anyone else here following Australian politics? Abbot is what you would get if you took gwb, stripped out his earnest idealistic charm, and replaced it with a kind of suffocatingly sociopathic dunderheadedness.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I want to learn about the current political situation along with the history of Iranian politics. I've read the basics from Wikipedia, but I'm looking for something with a little better journalism. Anyone have recommendations?
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I am friends with Iranian who loves to complain about politics, so I learn about them whether I want or not.

She likes BBC Farsi (which is obviously out of the question unless you really like Google Translate mush), so regular BBC?

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

quote:
nearly all of the gluten free foods I rely on (including udis and rudi's bread) are actually worse for you nutritionally speaking if the goal is to lose weight. gluten free as a weight loss strategy? i have no idea how that would work

Easy. You eat less calories overall because it costs too much to buy.
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

quote:
Is literally anyone else here following Australian politics? Abbot is what you would get if you took gwb, stripped out his earnest idealistic charm, and replaced it with a kind of suffocatingly sociopathic dunderheadedness.

No, but I know of Tony Abbot's evil.
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

Do you even crossfit bro?
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I'm cringing. I'm cringing my way through that entire video. I hurt. That entire video is supremely painful for me to watch. That's horrifying. That's viscerally horrifying. I'm practically shrieking.

A freaking plus

Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
Ndamukong Suh: discuss
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Suh just knows how fun it is to literally walk over other players like a monumental jerk
Samprimary
Member # 8561

successful appeal so he gets to come back and play

we should totally give him the benefit of the doubt because he is totally not the kind of guy who would intentionally step on a playe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WZki4UB8jw

oh

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I was *sure* that it wouldn't be a discussion of whether it was intentional or not, the discussion would be whether it should be a fine or suspension. He clearly lifted up his right leg while his left leg was on Rodgers, placing all of his weight on Rodgers' ankle. An unintentional step would obviously be immediately pulling your leg off, not adding weight to it.

I hate being wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCOQWpR3u2A

Also, that isn't just some internet troll's opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Pereira

Orincoro
Member # 8854

It honestly does look like it *could* be an accident, but a) he's a professional who knows where the quarterback is behind him, and b) he is a hothead who has kicked people in the past. So yeah.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

No it doesn't. The first step might have been an accident. Then he knew where Rodgers is and stepped on him a second time. And lifted up his other leg so all of his weight was on him. And then walked away without apologizing or even reacting in a way that acknowledges he just put his 300 lbs on some guys ankle.There is no chance that is accidental.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

antiflouridation conspiracy is the best
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

The only anti-fluoridation person I know is also anti-vax and tried very earnestly to convince me 9/11 was a conspiracy.

What are the odds?

Dogbreath
Member # 11879

He also "has his suspicions" about the moon landings.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Suh should have been fired the first time he did this.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

What's up with the thread title? "It's actually about ethics in hatrack posting"
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny if you remember gamergate, especially when combined with your female attire thread, kind of brilliant.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Must have missed gamergate... [Dont Know]
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had. I have a friend who was crazy obsessed with it. As opposed to the noncrazy kind of obsessed
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
Must have missed gamergate... [Dont Know]

We discussed it at some length in this thread. I posted an article that summarizes the issues and controversies at hand. It works as a pretty effective introduction to it.

edit: fixed the link.

[ March 08, 2015, 04:01 AM: Message edited by: Dogbreath ]

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I just did a YouTube search on Anita Sarkeesian. Pretty much every video title that comes up is firmly anti-Anita. I briefly watched a couple. It's ugly.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Thanks for the links
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
The only anti-fluoridation person I know is also anti-vax and tried very earnestly to convince me 9/11 was a conspiracy.

What are the odds?

As long as they don't bomb the Soviets in order to preserve their essence. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't understand the movement really, how entitled do you have to be to think wanting gamer culture and the games industry to be more inclusive is at all unironically a bad thing.
Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Back before I met my wife I had had an idea...Virtual Porn Director...a video game that lets one control the set, wardrobe, positioning, the script, etc...with the sole purpose of separating porn from video games. I mean can't I just shot aliens without an ET tittie bar that when my character sits down it zooms in on the scantily clad dancer Mass Effect 1 & 2 (and presumably 3)? Get your porn out of my games!
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
How would the existence of your game keep the content you're uncomfortable with from being included in other games?
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Make it superfluous?
  This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.