Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q01 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q01
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
This was a critique group for writers that entered a story into the first quarter of 2011 in the Writers of the Future contest (28th year).

After the end of the quarter, entries submitted have been responded to as thus:

Silver Honorable Mention:
Jennifer Campbell-Hicks (JenniferHicks)

Honorable Mention:
Dan Smyth (WriterDan)
Louis Doggett (LDWriter2)
Trina Phillips (genevive42)
Grayson Morris
Ethereon
Donovan Darius (Dark Warrior)

Congratulations to everyone that submitted!

If you participated in the group and got some kind of award for this quarter, let me know and I'll add you to the list.

These are our Woo-hoos!

(Original posts from the quarter shown below)

[This message has been edited by WriterDan (edited June 08, 2011).]

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Despite the madness at my "job". I'm in.

WriterDan
Axeminister

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
In!

Got three stories written for Q1 so far. I think picking the right one will be the hard part this time.

Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Writer Dan
Axeminster
ThomasCarpenter
Owasm

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I'm four days late, I'm in.

Writer Dan
Axeminster
ThomasCarpenter
Owasm
PB&Jenny

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I never actually got my story out for last quarter so I'll get it in this one. With it almost finished, I actually stand a chance of making the deadlines. Count me in.

Writer Dan
Axeminster
ThomasCarpenter
Owasm
PB&Jenny
genevive42

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Dangit, I'm not going to be able to make the cut here. I'm having to move again in about two weeks and it'll be almost a month to get my internet service up again.

I apologize everybody.

PB

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
Next quarter for me. But good luck to everyone!
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Current group:

Writer Dan
Axeminster
ThomasCarpenter
Owasm
genevive42

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what possesses me to think I can do this, but I've got a story I like. (Problem is, of course, I like them all or I wouldn't write them.) So, I'm going to try this at least once.

Writer Dan
Axeminster
ThomasCarpenter
Owasm
genevive42
Meredith

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to participate as well. I've got a story with a first draft nearly complete.

Writer Dan
Axeminster
ThomasCarpenter
Owasm
genevive42
Meredith
Osiris

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Look at all you awesome people with first drafts done/(almost done). I'm going to look like such the slacker this quarter. Then again, when don't I? Ah, the pleasantries of making good on your goals. I'll be starting my story for this quarter in about...three days. lol.

Happy to see you all signing up. Was worried there for a bit that our numbers for this quarter might be low. Woo-hoo!

walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. I had almost finished my story for Q4, but realized I should hold for Q1 2011. Good luck to all who entered Q4.

Writer Dan
Axeminster
ThomasCarpenter
Owasm
genevive42
Meredith
Osiris
walexander

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

So quick question, this is my first WoTF crit group participation. How does it work in terms of sending out the story draft? Do we just email everyone who signed up with a copy of the story on October 14th? Or do we break it down into smaller groups of people?
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Osiris - Welcome!

It sort of depends on how big the group gets. The last couple of quarters we've been breaking up into two groups. You send the first draft out to your primary group and then your second draft goes out to the other group. That way there are fresh eyes on your second draft.

Not sure if this group is going to get big enough to break up though. Since everyone sort of finishes in a staggered manner, you don't generally end up with too many crits to do at one time.

Either way, it's a good process but do be prepared for a wide range of opinion.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

Thanks for the welcome Genevieve
No worries, I'm just new to WoTF critique but I'm not new to critique in general. I have a very thick skin

genevive42
Member # 8714

So any thougts? Two groups of four or one group of eight? (Assuming no one else jumps in.)

It's fairly small this time around; could go either way.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mess up the even number of participants, but I'm in. I just don't know what I'm going to write yet.

Writer Dan
Axeminster
ThomasCarpenter
Owasm
genevive42
Meredith
Osiris
walexander
JenniferHicks

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
Something awesome, Jennifer... something awesome.
Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm always happy to split the groups.

I find I only need a few critiques the first time around to get an idea of what's up.

Then to have a new group of readers of the second draft is great. It helps motivate me to get done as people are waiting, and helps focus what I learned the first time around. i.e. not screwing it up.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

About 8-10 people is the breaking point for going to two groups. So, yeah, probably two.

I'll post the splits on the 14th.

axeminister
Member # 8991

Dan,

I'd like to request moving my name to the bottom of the list so I can get in group two.

I keep sending OWASM my first drafts and I'd like him to be able to check out some of my more refined work. I don't want him to think, "damn, this dude writes some rough stuff."

Axe

[This message has been edited by axeminister (edited October 07, 2010).]

genevive42
Member # 8714

I'm ready.

This might be the only time you ever hear that from me.

Osiris
Member # 9196

I'm ready as well with a 1st draft.
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still a few scenes away from a first draft, but I will put my name down to this group, perhaps splitting it.

Writer Dan

ThomasCarpenter
Owasm
genevive42
Meredith
Osiris
walexander
JenniferHicks
Axeminster
Brendan

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Ready any time.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Wow, do we ever have this many people ready to go on the start date? This is great!
WriterDan
Member # 6456

So even though I'm only about halfway done with my current story (nearly complete re-write from last quarter...), I'm going to post up the groups for the first critique deadline tomorrow. Here they are.

Group 1:
WriterDan
Owasm
Meredith
walexander
Brendan

Group 2:
ThomasCarpenter
genevive42
Osiris
JenniferHicks
Axeminster

Happy critting, people!

Osiris
Member # 9196

So should we e-mail our manuscripts out to our group now? Or wait until tomorrow, the 14th?

[This message has been edited by Osiris (edited October 13, 2010).]

genevive42
Member # 8714

I've sent mine out. It's my day off and my computer access is easier. I also seem to be all atwitter with excitement. I hope y'all don't mind.

I can't wait to see what everyone's come up with.

Have fun all!

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I've already received stories from Axeminister, Osiris and Genevive. It'll be a few more days before I send out mine. I'm still writing.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
I received Owasm's and Meredith's. I apologize I got a little sidetracked, but should have mine out later today-early tomorrow.
w.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

Received three and sent mine out today.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

This is a critique group for writers that will be entering a story into the first quarter of 2011 in the Writers of the Future contest (28th year), and do so on an early schedule.
Anyone is welcome to join. If you do though, please follow the directions for such. Currently, the group consists of me: WriterDan
If you want to join the group for this quarter, please re-post the current names list in a reply and then add your name to the bottom.

Tentative deadlines for this quarter are as follows:

Sept 1st: Start writing
Oct 14th: First drafts out for crits
Nov 7th: Second drafts out for crits
Nov 30th: Mail in final drafts

Sorry to use this thread for questions but I have a couple.
One is does anyone mind if we use a story already written or is this group for who need to write one from scratch?

Are there any groups for middle or last minute writers?

Last is I notice you have links to all types of helps except one thing. What type of stories does WotF like best, I read one comment by someone involved with the contest that they don't like stories that start with fighting. But so far that's all I have found.

I do have one story I think that could be good to enter but I have others that I'm not sure about.

Thanks for any answers.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

ANSWERS:

Does anyone mind if we use a story already written or is this group for who need to write one from scratch?
--It's for everyone. All we expect is that if you want critiques on a story, you better be willing to give em back to everyone in your assigned group.

Are there any groups for middle or last minute writers?
--This is it. I've tried to have two groups, but usually that ends up with two very small groups that both end up being the same group in the end. So this is the only one we do.

What type of stories does WotF like best?
--They take fantasy, sci-fi, and horror. PG-13 levels of violence/profanity/sex. You pretty much have to have some kind of speculative element within the first page or your story will get tossed. Kathy has mentioned that she doesn't like in medias res beginnings. Other than that, you should read the recent anthologies to find out.

Want in?

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

[quote]
What type of stories does WotF like best?
--They take fantasy, sci-fi, and horror. PG-13 levels of violence/profanity/sex. You pretty much have to have some kind of speculative element within the first page or your story will get tossed. Kathy has mentioned that she doesn't like in medias res beginnings. Other than that, you should read the recent anthologies to find out.

Want in?
{/quote*

To answer your last question , Yes I need all the help I can get. Which probably means I should send in one of my stories in a day or so.

Second: Thank you for the quick answers.

Third: In response to the last question, I knew all that but yet as I mentioned I've read somewhere I think hints on their web site that there are certain types they don't want; like ones with a bunch of fighting which I assume means Space Opera. I think the stories that have reached HM have been of a certain type.

And reading the anthologies may not help, I have read some of their stories. I've read various magazines, including the best of the partially resurrected Universe, but didn't help trying to figure the best type of stories for each one.

Most of my latest stories are Urban Fantasy. For some strange unknown reason my inner muse has been stuck on UF. Must do have speculative elements on the first page.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

In that case, what most of the secondary judges want is hard science fiction, and what Kathy wants is amazingly cool ideas that get her thinking. So, if you're going to try urban fantasy, it'll be a hard row. Of course, I'm a fantasy kinda guy myself. I just figure that's gonna make me end up being loads better by the time I finally win this thing. Luck to you. And you can join group 1. Send your story off when it's ready.

Group 1 -- First Round Crits
WriterDan
Owasm
Meredith
walexander
Brendan
LDWriter2

Group 2 -- First Round Crits
ThomasCarpenter
genevive42
Osiris
JenniferHicks
Axeminster

[This message has been edited by WriterDan (edited October 16, 2010).]

Brendan
Member # 6044

quote:
In that case, what most of the secondary judges want is hard science fiction, and what Kathy wants is amazingly cool ideas that get her thinking.

Probably because both Niven and Pournelle were part of the judging group this time.

But it makes me wonder - should I change stories and do the one I did for snapper's challenge recently? That was hard science fiction, and my current WIP is more soft science fiction.

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

In that case, what most of the secondary judges want is hard science fiction, and what Kathy wants is amazingly cool ideas that get her thinking. So, if you're going to try urban fantasy, it'll be a hard row. Of course, I'm a fantasy kinda guy myself.

The say they want fantasy too but that's what I meant when I asked about specific types of stories. So it depends on whose judging that quarter?

But I do have a Science Fiction story that might get Kathy thinking, actually one or two of the UF might also, but the SF story has been debated-on another forum here at Hatrack- rather or not it should be hard SF or not. I think it's not. I think I do have it ready to go I think that's the only SF story I have that I haven't sent to WotF and that I am willing to have a go at.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

In that case, what most of the secondary judges want is hard science fiction, and what Kathy wants is amazingly cool ideas that get her thinking. So, if you're going to try urban fantasy, it'll be a hard row. Of course, I'm a fantasy kinda guy myself. I just figure that's gonna make me end up being loads better by the time I finally win this thing. Luck to you. And you can join group 1. Send your story off when it's ready.
Group 1 -- First Round Crits
WriterDan
Owasm
Meredith
walexander
Brendan
LDWriter2

Just double checking since I haven't been a member of a group in this Site before, I send the story to each of the members of the Group one and they send me theirs?

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Rats, I forgot about two stories. One SF, one fantasy-not UF-both might inspire Kathy to think. The SF isn't really hard even though I think it has a touch. Maybe I go with the SF I did it differently than I usually write...there's always next quarter for the other story.

genevive42
Member # 8714

Three stories in - three critiques out. Who's next?
Osiris
Member # 9196

I've received MS from all but Jennifer. Critted two, working on a third.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I'm still working on my story. Sorry for the delay. I have stories for everyone in my group and will do the critiques this week.
Meredith
Member # 8368

I've gotten Owasm's and LDWriter's. Nobody else, yet.

Critiques of mine back already from Owasm and Brendan. Giving me some good ideas on how to make the story stronger.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I think I've just gotten one story and two crits for mine.

When you boiled it down both basically said the same thing.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

So I have three scenes left to do and the final two are completely scripted in my head. This one pivotal scene is just driving me up the wall and I'm having the hardest time trying to make myself write the last two and then come back to it, instead of waiting to write them straight through. Regardless, I'm hoping to have my story all out by the end of the week. Nothing new from my direction, I guess. I'm always freaking late when it comes to these dang self-imposed deadlines...

I hope all the critiquing is going well. I've finished two of the three I've received and am working on the last. Remember to give each one your best, guys. We're all working to help each other succeed in this thing. Best!

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I've now gotten four crits, but still only one story.

But that was fast work with the crits even if they agree on one aspect which means I have a major decision to make.

walexander
Member # 9151

My stories coming LD,

Had to deal with a couple of things this week, but I'm on track now, I did mer's crit - I'm finishing owasm's crit - then I'll do yours.

W.

Brendan
Member # 6044

Sorry I'm running behind on my story, guys. I finished the final scene tonight, but it made me need two more scenes in the story, and to adjust a third scene, none of which I have started. I hope to finish it by the end of the weekend.
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.