Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q01 (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q01
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it seems weird...there was a flurry of HMs and rejections at the beginning of March, then nothing, now a trickle of HMs (at least, Duotrope shows only 4 responses, one of which is mine, and on the WotF forum, there's only one other person who's reported hearing in this recent round).

Since KDW said she'd sent the results back, and last quarter they all seemed to go out as mass e-mails (aside from the finalist calls, of course), I assumed everyone was hearing results last night. Huh.

Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
So, for those of us who may have had our submissions eaten by the e-sub system, when is it appropriate to query?
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd give it a few more days. From what I've read on the WotF forum and here about a lack of responses so far, I don't think Joni is done sending out the results.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I am crushed.

Got a call from Joni last night, telling me I'm a finalist. In the middle of our conversation my elation was cut short when Joni noticed the title on my cover page didn't match the title of the finalist piece. Long story short, she called me a little while ago apologizing for the mistake.

It seems there was a problem with the mail in submissions this quarter, which was ironic because I chose to mail my entry in because of all the frustrations my fellow writers were having with the online submission process. Anyway, an apparent mix up happened.

Poor Joni felt so bad for the mistake, offering to send my a free copy of the last anthology for my trouble. What's worse is she believes she sent out a 'non-winner' letter, weeks ago, to the real author and she isn't all that sure who it is. She said she has some hunting to do and said the author could be one of 'dozens'. All she has to go on is a title to go on.

Oh well, a most unique rejection to say the least.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

Oh my gosh, snapper, how absolutely devastating. I'm so, so sorry this happened to you. I hope you turn out a semi-finalist, then.

Edited to add: Wait, this isn't an April Fool's joke, is it?

[This message has been edited by Grayson Morris (edited April 01, 2011).]

Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper, that is horrible. I cannot even imagine going through that.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

I wish I could tell you it wasn't, Grayson. On the bright side someone who received a rejection has a new reason to hope.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, Snapper - that's the worst April fools joke I've heard yet. Sorry for the mixup on that. What a bummer.
Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Snapps... That's rough.

I'll keep that in mind should I ever receive a call from her. I'll be like, "can you confirm?" before I get all excited.

Man...

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes, snapper. That's a rough one. :/
Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Thank you everyone. So heartwarming that you would care so much for a jerk like me. Time to bring this to an end...

quote:
Wait, this isn't an April Fool's joke, is it?

Grayson almost put my little holiday gag to an end early. Good thing I had the ole double negative at my disposal.

quote:
I wish I could tell you it wasn't, Grayson.

Thought for sure someone would spot that little confession.

So yes, this is an April Fool's joke! So good news, as far as I know, Joni hasn't called anyone as of yet. So you can keep close to your phone.

Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way, but we can't let the entire day go by without at least one attempt to pull a fast one.

Thanks for being good sports.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited April 01, 2011).]

Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

I did catch that, snapper, and wasn't sure if you were just typing fast or winking at me. :-)

I asked because I posted about it over at the WotF forum ("someone on another board said..."), because there was a piddly trickle of HMs and lots of folks still have heard nothing. Then, after I posted, I realized it was April 1.

I'm only sorry to hear that the first part, you getting the finalist call, isn't true, either.

I would actually be stunned if Joni hasn't made the finalist calls yet; judging from past quarters (you can look this stuff up in WotF forum threads, if you're obsessive like me ;-) ), she starts making finalist calls the day she gets the results from KDW, and all the finalists have been notified within three days. But hey, maybe this quarter's different.

thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha.

I bow to your gag. You had me completely hoodwinked.

Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, man, Snapper... I was feeling SO bad for you, too. I think I almost cried, imagining what they would be like. You totally got me! Evil, evil! (and of course, being a mom with 50 things pulling at my attention at once, I did NOT catch the double negative issue!)

Melanie

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

It appears (from reading the WotF board) that more results are trickling out. Izanobu got a silver HM. Yeah! Anyone else heard anything?
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone received their certificate yet?

Or do they send those out after all the judging is done?

Joni said soon but how soon is soon

I believe there were two others who got HMs and now its three others.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't gotten my certificate and I'm in LA. I'll post when I get it.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, is this normal?

Q1 was my first ever entry in WotF.

So far, I've gotten two identical e-mails from Joni notifying me that my story did NOT win in Q1.

Okay. So today in the mail there's an invitation to the awards ceremony.

Is that normal?

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

The invitations go out to most everyone who submits to the contest, no matter their result. I got one a few days ago.

Some people get two responses. Other people get none. As much as I appreciate this contest and the work that Joni and KDW do, it sure can be frustrating at times.

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Meredith, when Joni saw I was local, she extended me the invite to the awards ceremony. I think it's just because of where we live.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

It just felt really strange when my story was rejected.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited April 05, 2011).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Maybe they just want butts in seats to make the event look good.
Meredith
Member # 8368

Well, I'd feel even stranger actually going after my story was rejected. That is assuming I even owned anything even remotely "black tie" or could afford it.
genevive42
Member # 8714

I e-mailed Joni about that. Only the people on stage are truly black tie. The people attending can be 'business casual' as I understand it.

And don't worry about being rejected. You can bet that the winners went through their fair number of rejections before they won as well. Even the famous judges had to go through their share of rejections at the beginning of their careers. In that sense, we're all in the same boat.

I haven't decided whether I'm going or not. Even at less than black tie, I'd have to buy some nice clothes and so would my boyfriend. But it would be funny pulling up in my '72 Nova, though I don't fancy having it valet parked. Maybe I'll park it myself in the lot across the street at Mann's Chinese.

Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember, it will potentially give you the opportunity to meet fellow Hatracker, BenM. If he is going, that is.

[This message has been edited by Brendan (edited April 06, 2011).]

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Good point. Another hash mark in the pro's column.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I would go if it weren't halfway across the country. A lot of pros and former winners show up, and it would be fantastic to meet some of those people.

In other news, my long wait is over: Silver honorable mention. In nine quarters of entering, it's my best finish ever.

Meredith
Member # 8368

Congratulations, JenniferHicks!!!!!
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great, Jennifer! I just entered for the first time, so I have a ways to go (and judging my wip, I think I'll be heading backwards)
Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Jennifer that is awesome!!! I love the showing that our little group puts on in the contest.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Way to go Jennifer!!!!!
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

Grats Jennifer!

Still waiting to hear my results. *sigh*

Ethereon
Member # 9133

Awesome Jennifer!
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Good goin', Jennifer!
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Thanks, everyone.

Thomas, I hope you hear soon. I bet you'll do well.

snapper
Member # 7299

Congrats Jennifer!

Still waiting myself...

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Just read it so congrats Jennifer Niiice.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Speaking of the wards ceremony: The first time I heard about was after the second or third HM. They sent me three invitations. One via E-mail , one via snail mail and a phone call. I thought they must really want me there... I figured they wanted bodies. But I did want to go anyway. However its has always, up 'till this year, been during me and my wife's anniversary month and we go to the mountains for a weekend. That first year it was in a city that was closer than this year too.

I still want to go, I don't know how many of the judges will be there but even if half are I would like to meet some like OSC. If he can travel now.

I would like to meet Dean Wesley Smith too but he may not try this year. He had a mishap with the hot weather last year, it's all on his blog, and even though May should be cooler than August I don't know.

It might be worth it this year, especially if one or more of you guys go, even though I would have to go by myself probably.

Meredith
Member # 8368

Well, I just signed up for SCBWI's Agents Day the day before. Both in one weekend, even if I had the proper attire for WotF, might overload my introverted circuits.
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

Meredith --

That looks pretty cool. I'm wondering if I would be interested in something like that in a couple of years.

Are you going to get a synopsis/10-page critique?

Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
Are you going to get a synopsis/10-page critique?

Sent it. We'll see if I was in time or not. That's first come, first served. Seems like too good an opportunity to waste.

Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

Jennifer, congratulations! That's awesome!
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, just seeing how everyone in this group is doing, and I'm glad to have stopped in. Congratulations, Jennifer! I was wondering when you would move up but figured the answer was Soon.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

Still too early to query?

The reason I'm eager to is because I subbed electronically and never got a conirmation email. I emailed Joni about it in January and this was her reply:

quote:
I just checked your name. Your file appears to be fine but I'm going to have the tech guys check to make sure your story pulls up.

That's the last I've heard about it, so I still wonder if I'm even entered. If I'm not even entered I'd really like to know!

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

If you're concerned, e-mail Joni. I don't think it's too early for that.

In other news, my silver HM story just garnered the fastest rejection ever from Beneath Ceaseless Skies: less than 24 hours. Ouch. Too many contemporary elements, the editor said. Onward with Strange Horizons.

mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
Jennifer, At least you got a personalized rejection...could have been worse!
Good luck!

Melanie

[This message has been edited by mrmeadors (edited April 08, 2011).]

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I haven't given my Congrats yet so here they are.

But if it got that close I would think some editor will like it. At least enough to send a personal note. I mean for those who don't usual send such notes.

snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
In other news, my silver HM story just garnered the fastest rejection ever from Beneath Ceaseless Skies: less than 24 hours.

This is from the perspective of another former silver HMer but the silver tag may be a curse. My Sci-fi Q2 from last year can't find a home either. It's gotten personal rejections with clear reasons why it wasn't accepted as well. I am interested to hear how other silver HM honors (I believe Izanobu and Tom Carpenter have received one as well) did with there stories.

On another note...

I have yet to hear a thing for my Q1 piece. Maybe it's time to start a list of those waiting. Me first.

Left in the Dark: Q1 list

snapper

copy and attach your name to the list. We can keep track and update when we get word from WotF.

genevive42
Member # 8714

My semi-final winner got the lowest form rejection from Analog and a standard form rejection from Asimov's (whom I've gotten personal from before on another story). It's now out at F&SF.

My HM had been out to several pro pubs before it went to WotF and it received a few personal rejections from pro pubs.

On another forum, I've heard it said by a number of people with significant success at WotF, that their WotF stories don't sell nearly as well as others they have. It was also not recommended to say in the cover letter that this story got to X level in WotF unless it was a finalist.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Of my 5 HMs, two have sold (one just last week). Of my three rejects, one has sold. My other three sales to date have been stories I never entered in WotF -- two flash pieces and one weird West story.

I get the feeling that the quick rejection on my silver HM wasn't because of quality or taste issues. I simply sent them a story that didn't fit the market.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.