Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q01 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q01
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much Walexander!
Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Public service announcement from KDW:
Read your electronic file all the way through before submitting it...

JenniferHicks, I saw that tonight. But I have one question. What if the problem is with computer to computer translation not program to program? You should of course double check things that should go without saying but we all, most of us, need it said. But sometimes you can double check and the problem pops up afterwards.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited November 15, 2010).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same thought. Just this round of critiquing, two people e-mailed to tell me my .rtf file came through either with a font I hadn't used or as completely unreadable. I suppose that if you want to avoid the possibility of something going wrong, the safe bet is to print a paper copy and mail it off the old-fashion way.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
(Lurker butting in....) You could also try e-mailing yourself a copy of the file you plan to submit electronically. A clean file is no guarantee, but at least if you see weirdness there, you have a chance to fix it before submitting.
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
@RoxyL: Next quarter will be for Q02 2011. That group will be started up on Dec 1st, 2010 (two weeks from now). Watch for it. We'll be here.

On a happy note, I finished the main plot line for my Q02 entry yesterday while lying abed with the sickness. I think I need to stop formulating stories and start writing them instead...

Well, at the very least I need to start writing again.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that you are ill, Dan. Hope you get well soon.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

Thanks, Dan. I've got a story, but nothing written since Nano has completely consumed my life.

And best wishes on a speedy recovery, as long as it doesn't interfere too much with your plotting

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hope you're better Dan

I am almost done with my second Crit but that's all the stories I have. Two, or is it three now, haven't sent anything.

I need to double check but I think I need one more crit back.

This last one was a little different but repeated some of the same criticisms.

And for those smart alecks here, and I know them because I are one, I did revise some of the story but not the basic structure...it didn't help. I failed with this story even if it had some good sections.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Most definitely feeling better. At like 60% recovered now, so it's time to get back up and get going again.

As such, I hit the BICHOK hard tonight and I can happily report that I now only have one scene left to write for my entry this quarter, and the length is sitting at about 10k. Oh, happy day.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

Just sent my revision to group 1, feel free to send me your manuscripts if you haven't already.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Success! It's out! Miracle? Just about...
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm locking myself away this weekend with a supply of coffee and munchies, and doing all my crits. So they should be all out by end of sunday.

As for my 2nd draft - It's become a problem child that I can't seem to get under control. It's in a rewrite because I felt it was lacking of my 'A' game an fell short of wotf, but I haven't given up and still hope after finishing crits this weekend. To give it one last strong push to get rid of the bugs. Nano's messing with my mojo and I feel its pulling me away from actual goal of being published - I hate worrying about something I really don't care about. Time to stop playing with Nano, and get my focus back.

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
WD, did you send it out?
I'd say even if it's draft 1 to first group, send to me as well.

This way no catastrophe (hopefully) can befall me before getting to your story.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I've decided, after going through a round of critiques, that my story needs some serious work to get it into shape, and I don't have the excitement over this particular tale to put that level of work into it right now.

So I'm going to switch gears and throw out a different story for consideration: a 4,700-word fantasy. I would be grateful if anyone in the group would be willing to critique it. I'll do the same for any volunteers, if they have another story in the works that needs a look. Thanks!

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Jennifer, send it my way.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I can read it.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Thanks. You guys are great. I'll send it out tonight after doing a last read-through.
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I still owe a few crits and I am woefully behind for my second draft due to NaNo. I'll be working in it during the upcoming looong weekend.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
You can send it to me jenn I owe you one anyways. I was just about finished with your first one, so send me the new one.

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

That reminds I still have two stories to do...better get to 'em.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Make that three, but I don't remember where that third story came from.
Osiris
Member # 9196

I sent mine out to your group a few days ago, could be mine LD.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Got one out tonight, but the other two probably be after Thanksgiving.

Maybe I can do both on Friday, we shall see how much time I have.

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to rush anyone, but I thnk I'm still waiting for two crits; from Writer Dan and walexander. If I'm mistaken, let me know. I just want to make sure I'm straight on my files. Thanks.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I will have time Friday if my wife doesn't have me busy, with getting new wipers for her car and taking down Thanksgiving lights. I want to do at least 2,000 words on my Nano novel. But I need to do those crits too.
eyegore242
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for eyegore242   Email eyegore242         Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly off the current train in this thread but does any know if the e-submissions for WotF can only been in .doc .docx and .rtf? just curious to know.

eyegore

Posts: 55 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

I haven't checked the e-submission, but I would never send .docx. There are a lot of systems that can't open those. As far as I know, .rtf is always a safe bet.
eyegore242
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for eyegore242   Email eyegore242         Edit/Delete Post 
The only reason i mentioned docx is because on the esub form down at the bottom where you attach your file it lists the three formats i mentioned.
thing is i dont care for microsoft and even though i use windows (most programs i want are pretty much windows only) i didn't feed the machine more by buying office suite.
i actually use Open Office. when i save the file as RTF it loses the header with page and title and often messes up format. I was actually thinking of submitting in pdf format easy to print from and pretty much everyone can open it.
I have been searching the forums on WotF but cant find anything as of yet. still waiting for them to activate my account so i can ask directly on there.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidS
Member # 9303

- posted      Profile for DavidS   Email DavidS         Edit/Delete Post 
Open Office allows you to save in .doc format as well. From memory it's listed as "Microsoft Word 97/2000/2003" in the Save As filetype selections. On general principles I wouldn't send in a format other than that listed.

If you want you can download a free viewer from Microsoft - google "Microsoft Word Viewer" for the download. This would at least let you see that your Open Office created files still look correct in Word.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eyegore242
Member # 9317

thanks for the tip about the word viewer david

on a side note i finished a story i want to sub for this quarter, i joined these forums a bit late for this group go round but if anyone would like to take a look i popped the first 13 up in the short story forum.

eyegore

WriterDan
Member # 6456

I have three crits that I'm currently working on. Thanksgiving and getting sick twice in the interim has made my already behind-schedule schedule...uh...behind. Going to try and get those crits out tonight if possible. It'll be Wednesday otherwise.

Also, I'm planning on having my second-draft story out for crits by the end of the week. Next Monday at the latest.

The days are just packed...and moving faster than ever. Luck, peoples.

RoxyL
Member # 9096

Hi
Hope you don't mind if I barge in one more time on your party...
Is there a sweet spot as far as story length goes for WOTF? I know the official min and max, but never having entered, is there a range (say 8-10k or 4-6k or something) that tends to do better than another?
Thanks!

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

My general impression is that longer stories (10k or more) tend to win more often than shorter ones. But, as always, the best course of action is to write the best story you can, whether that's 4k or 15k, send it in and hope for the best.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I have one more crit to do tonight. Unless WD is sending his to the first group. I forget after all this time.

But I decided that I need to send another story for Q1. Most of the crits it got said it needed too many changes for WotF. That story needs a look over to see if I finished with the crits it got from another site and a couple of hatrakers. But I can do that now.

Osiris
Member # 9196

I'm just about done with the last critique I have from group 1.

If anyone from group 2 (my initial group) would like to exchange critiques on their second draft feel free to email me.

Owasm
Member # 8501

Missed the Nov submission date. Rats.

However after a few frank crits that mirrored each other, the wait will be good as I work to restructure my story and tighten, tighten, tighten.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

@LDW2: I sent my first draft off to Group 1 (which includes you) a while ago. Did you not get it? I sent it to the email listed in your Hatrack profile. Let me know.

@RoxyL: I've seen more stories that are long win, but I've seen a few shorter stories win too. Listen to Jennifer though. Write the story however long it needs to be and don't worry about the length (unless it's more than 17k words or 68 pages. Then you can worry )

Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
Missed the Nov submission date. Rats.

I won't make that goal, either. But my story is improving, so that's okay.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Dan is that the [xxxxx] devil story? Or was it [xxxx] demon? I don't have it where I am right now double check that.

If so I'm half way done with the crit. Should be out tonight.

If not I should have sent out all the other crits I did but I can double check to make sure.

Note from Kathleen: edited key words out as per Dan's request until such time as LDW2 can do it.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 30, 2010).]

Osiris
Member # 9196

I am not making the November goal either, and I might let my story lapse into the next quarter if it means I'll be submitting a better story.
For Q4 2010, I let the deadline dictate the revision process, but I think this time I'll just let the deadline pass if I don't think the story is ready.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

That's the one, LDW2. Though, if you could edit the story's name (key words) out of your last post, I'd appreciate it. Connections between a story and a particular individual (online or otherwise) can earn a DQ. Thanks.

Only crit I have left to write is for Osiris. That'll be out by Wednesday night.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Looks like Kathleen beat me to it, which is good since it took me so long to get back here.

Sorry about that, I must have missed something somewhere.

But I just sent your crit five minutes ago. I think that's my last one.

But I might send a PS tomorrow night, nothing big but I forgot something about that unmentionable name.

walexander
Member # 9151

Sorry everyone I got really behind. Work is gone through the roof and giving me no time but a minute here or there to even breath. It's starting to finally let up so I apologize if you haven't received your crit from me.

W.

Owasm
Member # 8501

I ditched my WotF story (I'll use it another time) and pulled out another old story. I've tightened it up a bit, but need some other eyes.

Is anyone up to reading another? If you have Anoria in your crit queue, read this new one instead.

Let me know if you'd like to read this one. I need some help especially on getting the back story straight and I'm too close to it.

Meredith
Member # 8368

Sure, send it on.
walexander
Member # 9151

owasm,

Go ahead and send it. I'm reading all weekend, I have time for it.

W.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Every time I see this thread I think I gotta do the final work on the story I'll be sending in and get it formatted right but than get busy on my WIPs and house decorating and forget again.
Meredith
Member # 8368

Whew! I just finished going through the final critique on my story. Among other things, I have managed to take a story that was slightly under 6k words and turn it into a story that's slightly less than 10k words.

Hopefully, a much better story. At least, I think it is. Thank you, one and all.

Now, I'm going to let it rest a bit and allow my eyes to uncross. Then I'm going to give it a final read through to make sure there are no stupid little errors in there, left over from my edits. Then I have to make sure the format's right, take a deep breath, and press send.

Anybody have any feelings on whether the electronic submission or regular old snail mail is better?

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited December 07, 2010).]

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Deed is done: I just submitted my Q1 entry online. Now the finger-crossing begins. (The hair-pulling and nail-biting don't start until later.)
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Just sent out my second draft (for this quarter) of the story. If anyone in group two doesn't get it, let me know and I'll resend. Thanks, everyone.

Now it's time to get started on next quarter's story. I was all set to write this sci-fi one, but tonight I got some more inspiration for a new fantasy one, and now I don't know which one to pick. WotF wants sci-fi, but I love writing fantasy. Grumble, grumble, grumble...

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.