Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q01 (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q01
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
And Meredith, Too bad---but I'm surprised your story didn't do better. Do send it out again, someone will love it.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
It's already on its way to IGMS.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome Meredith! Im sure it will find a home somewhere. Congrats WD and LD.

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited March 03, 2011).]

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

It's already on its way to IGMS.

Good...

I may send it there after Lightspeed and F&SF. Well, if they send back the story I have there now by then.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my Honorable Mention today, but it wasn't for the story you all critted which I determined was not ready. It was for a funky little 3000 word story that I wrote from the viewpoint of a fish. My boyfriend encouraged me to send it in and I figured I had nothing to lose. Coolness.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
congrats Genevive...your story almost sounds like a tag line I once read in writing challenge
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Congratulations to all the HMs.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Trina,
The little fish/God story?

Awesome!

Grats to WD and LD as well!

I'm sure I read them all as I had participated in this quarter but didn't end up submitting. I think this was the WD story I actually read. =)

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations HM-ers

I don't see the list on the WotF blog... am I looking in the wrong place?

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

It's not published yet, though JenniferHicks might round up a news feed soon. So far its word of mouth from those that have recieved rejections and HM notifications.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
This is news to me. They haven't been posting the HMs on the news-release wires for several quarters now. So we'll probably have to wait for Joni to update the blog to see the whole list.

Edited to add: Congrats to the HM winners!

And: I'm checking my e-mail every five minutes now.

[This message has been edited by JenniferHicks (edited March 03, 2011).]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I just say how much I dislike having to wait to hear results on my story after so many other entrants have gotten their e-mail? Last time this happened to me, I agonized for quite awhile before the rejection came in.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't received news yet either. Still waiting.

Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

not to get your hopes up Jennifer but maybe, just maybe, it might be that its a semi or finalist
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Thanks DW, I'm thinking no. The majority of the responses that come back after the blast of HM e-mails are rejections, so that's what I'm expecting. Or it is possible that the electronic submission system ate my story.

Now previous silver HM winner Thomas might have a shot.

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I've yet to hear anythign myself, which means absolutely nothing. I've gotten most of my rejections and honorable mentions in the last group sent out. I have no idea why.

I'm betting KDW isn't even finished reading all the submissions as of yet. Maybe she sent back a file to Joni because she was half-way done.

Congrats Trina, Lou and Dan (and anyone else I missed)

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited March 03, 2011).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Maybe, Snapper. I hope so. Last quarter, all of the HMs went out at once. In either case, you're probably right that it's too soon to be jumping to conclusions.
Ethereon
Member # 9133

No news of any kind here either Jennifer.

I never got a confirmation email for my electronic submission though. Joni checked in January and said my file looks fine. I have to assume that I'll have to query for my rejection (or whatever it ends up being), but I can't stop compulsively checking my email either!

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard yet, either. This is my first entry, but I've been obsessively reading "back issues" of the WotF forum threads for each quarter, and it would seem very early for KDW to be finished reading the entire quarter. Of course, that doesn't mean it can't happen.

My expectations have been such a roller coaster since yesterday...auauauauaughhh.

ETA: Jennifer, thanks for asking for a status update on the WotF blog! Now, to survive until KDW answers....

[This message has been edited by Grayson Morris (edited March 04, 2011).]

Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

KDW's answer to Jennifer's question:
quote:
No, I'm not anywhere done yet [sic]. Lots more to come

[This message has been edited by Ethereon (edited March 04, 2011).]

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

It's great that she's so quick on her responses. And ... back to waiting.
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish she would send out all the results at once. That way the anticipation and agony would be over in an instant like ripping a band-aid off a skinned knee.

Oh well.

And this quarter's story was one you all haven't seen. I had been sending it out and got really close at Clarkesworld and Apex, so I decided it might do well at the contest. Same with next quarter (though the markets were Asimov's and Analog in that case).

Who knows. I've come to the conclusion it's pointless to have expectations on your story since even if it's the greatest story ever, it has to fit the readers tastes. Plus, I've heard from so many former winners how their winning stories were ones they didn't think had a chance.

Anyway, good luck to all those still in it!

Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Seriously, the percentage of HM, Semi, Finalist, and Winners that this group produces is really amazing, especially when you look at how few are in the crit groups...12-15 a quarter with 25%-50% getting HM or higher out of hundreds and maybe close to 1000 submitting.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And this time I will be getting a certificate. I think I got one once before but if I recall correctly and I'm not sure it was a certificate, I put it down somewhere and never picked it up again so it might be buried under a pile.

This one will be put away some where easier to remember.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

oops...posted this in the wrong quarter.

I am guessing the Q1 HM/SHM results will be published April 11. Good luck to all those still waiting to hear something.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

That is a very specific prediction. As one of those who hasn't heard yet, I hope we aren't waiting another month.
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Agreed, Jennifer. I hope your good news comes much sooner than that.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Update tonight from KDW: She says not to tell anyone, but she's almost done with the first reading.

So ... shh. Don't tell.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

well, I don't have anyone to tell anyway, so it would be no fun to tell.

Everyone who I would tell are here. I could announce it on my blog but only a couple of people would read it. And one might just say Huh? So that's no fun either.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited March 15, 2011).]

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I see Duotrope is listing rejections that came in today. Maybe those who haven't heard yet will hear something soon.
Ethereon
Member # 9133

Very slueth-ful of you Ms. Hicks!
Meredith
Member # 8368

It won't show on Duotrope, but I got a second rejection letter from Joni for the same story today. Very confused.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

You're not the only one, Meredith. Some people on the WotF forum were saying the same thing happened to them. Very strange, and not very nice to get rejected twice.
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

Duotrope shows responses for submissions sent as recently as Jan 8....how can that be? Hmmm.
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

I guess it's only as accurate as the people who are using it... maybe that particular user entered Dec 8th?
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

This morning, duotrope listed an 18-day rejection for WotF. Either that particular user is very confused or the electronic submissions/response system is malfuctioning.
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

Maybe someone with an entry in both active quarters who mistakenly closed out the newer one, instead of the older one, then corrected it later.
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

I'm afraid that I am partly to blame for all this. I am, or was (sigh), a NYT best selling author 7 times over. I was disheartened that some of the stories I read and critiqued were rejected so I went back in time and changed a few things. Some of those will still be rejections, but if everything goes as planned some of you should be getting some good news shortly.

Of course, an unfortunate turn of events eliminated all of my previous success and now that I have returned I find that I have now never been published and must start over from scratch.

I was also surprised that President Clinton is no longer in office. Seems something I did caused her to lose out on her parties nomination.

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure thing Donavan Darius.

If that's even your real name...

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
You did what?!?!? I have been having this overwhelming feeling of deja vue that I won the contest, first place - gold award - multiple bestsellers - movie deals....all gone.

I swear if I find out you're responsible for messing all that up for me I'm going to go back in time and see to it all your academy awards and syndication deals for Detroit 187 never happen.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hey Dark W. Maybe that is what happened to me a few years ago. My writing was doing good and getting better than it slipped backwards. Maybe you put my writing in a time loop.

So you need to go back and do that all again but this time double check everything detail. You leave your iPod or iPad on while going back in time. Those extra electronic pulses could have leaked out into the time flux throwing everything out of wrack. You know how sensitive those time fluxes are. Enough of that and nature could think its the ice age again.

Boy, I remember when I didn't get rid of the static electricity on my person boy talk about a pain, I had to....but this isn't the time for that story.

dtn
Member # 9174

- posted      Profile for dtn   Email dtn         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Dark Warrior, at least you won't have any trouble coming up with accurate portrayals of the future as you write your stories... that's a plus, I'd say.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

dtn remember DW changed the future so it would be how the future used to be.
Meredith
Member # 8368

No joy. IGMS didn't want "Heart of Oak" either.

However, I am definitely coming up in the world. It was a personalized rejection, including comments about what they liked and didn't like about the story.

They thought it was slow and disjointed? But they liked my characters and my writing.

And encouraged me to send them something else. Now, if I just had another story half as good . . .

Oh well, on to the next market: Daily Science Fiction. Long shot, probably, at this length. But I had another story get to the second round there, so worth a try.

Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

Meredith, wow! What a rejection! I hope you're glowing....they liked your writing, and they want you to send more! Congrats.
Meredith
Member # 8368

Thanks. It'd be nice if I had anything else to send them. I just don't right now. (At least not that they haven't already rejected.)
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

From KDW tonight:

I sent the Quarter one results in yesterday. Be listening for the phone!

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh... I got my rejection email two weeks ago.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

Final results are coming in -- I got my HM e-mail last night (just saw it this morning, Amsterdam time). I hope the lack of other result postings means the rest of the Hatrack crew are finalists who must keep mum.... :-)
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I haven't heard anything. Either the results are going out piecemeal, or the e-sub system ate my entry.

And congrats Grayson!

[This message has been edited by JenniferHicks (edited April 01, 2011).]

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.