Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q01 (Page 4)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q01
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I just figured out there might be a potential DQ issue with my story, so I'm trying to track down an answer from Joni. Hope I can get an answer before the deadline comes up.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I took a deep breath and hit submit.

Yikes. I've sent novel queries that didn't make me this nervous. Well, maybe that first one or two.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

I got to find the time to do a bit of adding to the story I finally decided to send. But what I add will make it longer and hopefully better.

I will have to think about it but right now I'm tempted to say the heck with looking for SF and next quarter send in a romantic Fantasy I wrote a while back. Unless a new idea hits me hard enough I want to take time off of my novels to write. That is possible but I'm eager to get that NaNo novel redone soonest.

Love that word Soonest.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Argh.
Well, it doesn't look like I'm going to finish in time for the quarter end. Although I'm not too worried about it because I hadn't planned to enter next Q, thus nothing will get bumped. I am however disgruntled about the extra three months I'll have to wait to learn my results.

See you in the Q2 forums in around five months.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

I'll make the deadline, but it'll probably be like last quarter, within days of the deadline.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't look like I will make the deadline for my original story. But I do have a backup, and haven't used my second round slot yet. Will there be time for a review of the backup story?
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure. Send it on. I'll look even if I'm not in your second round group. Writer Dan is ahead of you but I should be able to get both of yours done by the end of the week.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not officially a member of this group, but I'm submitting my first WotF story this quarter...one scene in particular was a bear to write, and I just had to "YESSSS!!!" somewhere about the fact I've finally gotten the final draft finished. It bears another read-through for last niggles, but I've got a story to submit!

(ooh, aah, ooh, aah, dance dance dance)

Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

Okay, so here are the paranoid, over-obsessive detail-niggles of a first-time submitter....looking for input from previous submitters:

How do you format the first page of the story? Just the same as you would for any other submission -- begin halfway down with title and byline and 13 lines of story, only with "By XXXX" instead of "By Your Name"?

Thanks!

Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I would skip the Byline entirely. Anyway, that's not really going to have an impact. Don't worry about it.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

Grayson, Brad Torgerson posted a nice guide to formatting for WoTF here:

http://forum.writersofthefuture.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=506

with a paper manuscript example here:

http://home.comcast.net/~brad.r.torgersen/brt_wotf_format.pdf

Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

Thanks, Osiris and genevive42. I know, I'm over-obsessing. :-) The links are very helpful - obviously his first-page formatting worked fine, so I'll copy it!
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

Filled out the form, pressed submit...lots of butterflies swarming around in here.

Now on to the five-month wait for results. (I hope!)

Osiris
Member # 9196

quote:
Now on to the five-month wait for results.

Don't wait! Go write some more

[This message has been edited by Osiris (edited December 17, 2010).]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay this is a stupid question but it has me wondering.

I was ready to try the E-filing method when I cam across this rule

"Entries submitted electronically must be double-spaced and must include the title and page number on each page, but not the author's name. Electronic submissions will separately include the author's legal name, pen name if applicable, address, telephone number, email address and approximate word count."

How do we separately include our name etc.? I'm probably missing something obvious but it's late.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
I entered my story last quarter on-line. It's simple - in your attachment, don't put your name. All the information that you usually put in as a detachable front page (name, pen name etc.) are entered in at their website - there is no need anymore to put them in your document at all.
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty sure this means to not include a cover page as part of the electronic submission file. All the stuff that's on the cover page will be entered in as part of the electronic submission process. Essentially, they don't want to have to go in and delete all the cover pages from the electronic files that are submitted, but still want to have access to the information.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Yeah, I figured they didn't want a cover page in the document. But I must have missed it where they explained they add the info when you fill out the registration form.

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo Hoo! Q1 is on its way! (Late, Late, Late)

I threw away my Anoria story. She's devastated, but that's life.

This one is an old WIP. Probably too cliche to do any good. Now on to Q2!

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I sent my story to Q1 too. Not the one everyone critted though. I decided that one wasn't for WotF after the vast majority of those who critted it thought it needed a complete remake. But thanks anyway, you suggestions may help another market buy it.

I suspect the one I sent may not be what they want either-it's my writing- but it may get closer than the first story would have.

so now I seat back and wait...no no no.

As someone just said time to work on Q2

Not to mention my novels and I want to write some more short stories sometime. It's been five or more months since I've written one.

genevive42
Member # 8714

I just sent my Q01 story. After significant consideration, I didn't end up sending the story you all were so kind enough to crit for me. It requires too much rework that I'm going to have to tackle another time. I ended up polishing and sending a piece that has gotten personal rejection from a couple of pro pubs. It might not have been right for them, but it might work for WotF.

Thanks to everyone who did look at my entry. It may end up a future entry once I use all of your comments to beat it into shape.

Good luck everyone!

Osiris
Member # 9196

I've decided to let my story for this quarter slide to the next one as well. I just want to give it a little more time to make it the best it can be, and I won't be able to do that in four days.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

The one I was originally going to send in is totally out for WotF. The work it evidently needs that would make acceptable to WotF would change the story into another tale.

Of course some of what was suggested I can still use to make it better.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

When I formatted my submission I made sure my name wasn't any where on the file but while pursing (Hopefully I got the right spelling there) KDWs posts I noticed something about the file header and/or the E-mail header.. A couple days after reading that phrase popped into my mind and it hit me, I said Oops. I have no idea how to redo the file header and I didn't think about the E-mail header.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Ended up getting my entry in on the 30th. Glad for that to finally be done. See you all in the next group!
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
I snuck in an electronic entry on the evening of Dec 31st myself. Do they normally send some kind of confirmation email to let you know that you are entered in the quarter in question? If so when does it usually come?
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I don't know about electronically since this is my first time trying it that way but with the hard copy method I usually get a notice the first week or three after the deadline. Which is about now.

It would be nice if they sent an E-mail saying I was in for sure. I did receive an E-mail saying they got by story but from what they have stated that doesn't mean I'm entered.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I've entered electronically twice now. Both times I received the confirmation e-mail about 30 seconds after submitting the story. (But considering how many problems the e-submission system was having, I'll probably send my Q2 entry by snail mail.)
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

So Jennifer was that the only confirmation you got?

As I recall it wasn't much, one short sentence. The postcard said you were definitely entered.

I may go back to the old way too. There's less chance of mistakes with leaving your name on something.

I did that once. I deleted my name from the header but forgot it under the title. When I got the first page back there was a name size sticker over it. Oops.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that was the only confirmation I got.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

I never got any kind of confirmation email. Should I be concerned? How can I find out if I'm entered? Is an email to Joni warranted or not?
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

If it's a choice between agonizing for months until results come out or shooting a short query to Joni ... I would e-mail Joni. However, if for some reason your story did not go through for Q1, it's too late now to fix it.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I must say that lately a good portion of the times, when I check my E-mail, I expect to see a rejection.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited January 24, 2011).]

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I think it's way too early to be looking for responses yet. KDW just finished with the semi critiques for Q4. I would expect to start seeing results, at the earliest, by the end of February.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I meant that as a feeling not as a rational thought.

But the last two times I entered I received the rejections very soon after the deadline. She most have taken just one glance at my stories.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Update from KDW on Q1 (which indicates, I think, that it might be a few more weeks before we get any results):

I've been plugging away, all the while also editing the stories, bios, and articles for the new volume to be released in May. Oh, and there's this book I'm supposed to be writing. Busy, busy, busy!

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Yeah, was a pretty vague response to my question, but wanted to shoot one over the bow and see if I could get anything. Will probably be another month or so, would be my guess.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Thanks for trying, Dan. I for one was starting to check KDW's message board and the WotF board for updates way too often. Now I think I can cool it for three or four more weeks.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I was told I was a finalist about ten days ago, even got the results...

I'm going to be in the next issue! Ain't that something? Been working and working to win this contest and it finally paid off. Yep, can't wait to see the next issue of On The Premises.

Yeah, On The Premises. What publication did you think I was talking about?

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Maybe this wasn't the right place to announce that sale. Where is that publication and review forum again?

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Jolly joke snapper

But even though I keep reading their premises I've only tried twice..maybe thrice.

But as to WotF I wonder if it will take another month before they start sending out rejections. Maybe before they make phone calls and/or post the lists but not the rejecting.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Truth. I'm thinking announcements by end of March.
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
word is that Q1 HM notifications are going out tonight.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Rejected.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Sorry Meredith.
Ethereon
Member # 9133

Does that mean that they get sent via email (for electronic submissions) or that lists will start to be posted?
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Got my HM notification just a few minutes ago. Nothing is up on the blog yet though.
snapper
Member # 7299

both. HM's are announced
Ethereon
Member # 9133

Nice job Writer Dan!
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I got my HM announcement today too. Sometime between lunch and around 8.

I got my rejection from Fantasy Mag before lunch.

I think that makes my fifth or sixth.

HM that is.... probably about my 20th to 30th rejection from FMag.

But now I can send the WotF story to Lightspeed maybe it will partially work for JJA.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.