Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q01 (Page 8)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q01
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
DW, I'm concerned about finding fancy shoes in a women's size 11 (men's 9). Any suggestions?
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

quote:

I just RSVP'd. Looks like I'm going to the awards ceremony.
I actually bought a dress yesterday - yikes! I haven't worn a dress in over two decades.

Dressed or not I'm glad someone from here is going.

But what color dress? In case I get to watch the feed.

At least I would be able to see some of my favorite writers even though it looks like Dean isn't going to be there...and see You of course.

But out of curiosity are you staying at a hotel that night?

I would have to if I went so that means not only missing a day's pay but a hotel room too and my wife doesn't want to me to drive all that way by myself.... hey, I'm not that bad of a driver even though it's possible I could get lost once or twice there.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Gardena and work in West Hollywood. It's spitting distance for me, so no hotel. I'm just leery of letting the valet drive my '72 Nova. I may self park.

My dress is primarily black with large purple (almost Hawaiian-ish) flowers; and I'll have a short black jacket.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Rats, must have deleted the E-mail with the list of all of the writers who were going to be there. But say hi to Kris Rusch for me and if Dean does show up, him for sure. And gush over a few of the others for me too.

I don't know if any editors-such as JJA, Sheila Williams etc.. --will show up but of any do say hi for me. They should know my name by now.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Let us know how it goes.

Who knows, maybe I'll go next year if I get another invitation.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Meredith, I think they'll let just about anyone who's interested go. When I asked about bringing someone, she said, 'sure, bring as many people as you want'.

LD I have to apologize, it goes against every professional instinct I have to gush. I've framed nude photos of an Academy Award Winner. After that, well, there's not much left to see. Oh wait, I'm in West Hollywood, I'm sure they'll come up with something. No wait, I've seen that too.

edited for poor typing

[This message has been edited by genevive42 (edited May 07, 2011).]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

Meredith, I think they'll let just about anyone who's interested go. When I asked about bringing someone, she said, 'sure, bring as many people as you want'.
LD I have to apologize, it goes against every professional instinct I have to gush.

Oh, well, maybe next year I can do that myself. Of course I'm not sure if I would get so excited that I would babble or just stare while I try to think of something cool to say. More than likely I would try to say something and my mouth would trip over itself.

Of course a couple of the newer writers I love aren't going to be there but about half of those older ones I would love to meet. Actually, some of the names I don't recall seeing before.

Anyway, if you do get a chance-I realize you may not- please say hi to those I mentioned.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited May 07, 2011).]

genevive42
Member # 8714

LD, I'll certainly give them a 'howdy-do' from you if I get the chance.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And the WotF workshop is on.

Some nice pictures of the event. I didn't see in the E-mails anywhere the pics are online but I could have missed something.

But they show KD's sister, Joni and the winners of both contests. Including some lady-illustrator I think- with long red hair. I don't mean Irish red or a carrot top.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

So that is what Brad looks like.

.And tux fitting?? WotF Takes care of all that?

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I was going. I want to check out genevive's 72 Nova.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

It still needs half a really good paint job, but I'm not letting the valets touch it. I'll park in the structure across the street.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Honorable mentions list for Q1 is now posted on the blog.

Sorry, Donavan, but you don't get to hide your success anymore. Anyone else who was previously unannounced?

http://www.writersofthefuture.com/node/692

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Awesome Donovan! Way to go!!!!
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Genevive and Jennifer, just a step as you two are well aware. I would have tagged you both on FB but you are smart enough to avoid that social trap. I think it would be great if all of us were winners in the same year. What a fun ceremony that would be.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoops ... move on. Posted in the wrong topic.

[This message has been edited by JenniferHicks (edited June 07, 2011).]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

So did Joni and/or WotF abandoned the other blog that is still up?
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

The old blog was abandoned quite awhile ago. Several months.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Most have forgotten to take it down then.

But I can recall notes, over at the Newsgroup, commenting on her taking so long to post on the blog. Seems like basically the answer was that she was busy. I didn't read every post so I might have missed any that said they switched blogs.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I got my silver HM certificate today. It's huge - twice the size of one for a regular HM. I wasn't expecting that and don't know what to do with it.

In other news, the quarter is officially, totally, 100 percent closed because the winners have been announced:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/06/09/prweb8554670.DTL

genevive42
Member # 8714

If anyone decides to frame their certificates, even if you go out and buy a ready-made frame, don't put cardboard behind them. This is inevitably what pre-made frames come with because it's cheap, but it will ruin your certificate with acid burn. This goes for any cardboard-like substance, including poster tubes (if you choose to store it that way.

If you frame it, go to a real framer, or a reputable art store and ask them for archival mat board to back your certificate with. Even just foam core is far better than cardboard. It would also be best to have plexiglass on the front, especially if you don't use a mat around it. And note that acid free does not always mean it's archival - there's a little cheater trick in semantics that let's manufacturer's say 'acid free' when it's not really.

Any other questions about framing, contact me. I've been doing it for twenty years.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
$400 buck for my poster frame. Im going to go a bit cheaper on the ones I frame for my nephews. Not sure if I will frame the HM or not...probably store it and any others until I win, then think about framing them. Nice that they are improved though
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
The whole framing thing reminds me of my younger brother's rant about the differences between "ice cream" and "frozen dairy dessert". He's a food guy.

Thanks a bundle for the info, Trina. Really nice to have experts around when you need them. I like the new homepage art by the way. Stylin.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Still haven't gotten my certificate.

Last E-mail on it, Joni said they were nicer looking than before

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Same here
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Got my certificate..

Wife wants to frame it and wants to know where the other one is.

I got one probably three years ago and I'm not sure what I did with it.

The new one is nice looking.

genevive42
Member # 8714

Got my certificate, though the post office did a number on it. That's okay, it's just going in my files. Having been a framer for twenty years I have no wall space.

Remember, if you frame it, no cardboard and it's better if you use plexiglass. You can check out my earlier post or e-mail me if you have questions.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

got mine today. Mayflowerbaby wants me to frame but it will probably end up with a thumbtack in it before I file it.
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

PS I think its cool that they include the name of the story on it
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

That's cool that the certificates have the story title on them. My Q1 certificate didn't have that, but I got it several weeks ago. Congrats again to everyone who got one!
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.