Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q03 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q03
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Writer Dan, how's it going to work when we send out for the second round? What group is going to send to whom?

By the way, if you're not in my assigned group and want a crit, I'll be happy to swap anytime. (Mine is still a week or so from being done.)

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dtn
Member # 9174

- posted      Profile for dtn   Email dtn         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't have too much angst over tense. I've read both 1st and 3rd in the WoTF Anthologies.
I'm in Group 2 but I'm running a little behind in finishing my story. Hoping to have the draft done this weekend. Just letting you all know.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, since I'm new to this how does it work? I take it I send my story to each one in the group and they send one back to me to read and comment on. Correct?
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
@Utahute72: Yup. Then, when round 2 comes along, everyone in your group (including you) will send to the members of another group.

@genevive42: I'll assign which group sends to which when the deadline for 2nd round crits comes up. Someone has to do it, I guess.

@mrmeadors: Write it how you think it's best, and don't worry about catering to anyone's tastes but your own. If you write stories how you like them, then you'll indubitably find readers out there that'll like em as well.

On a side note, I sent a short story into IGMS last night. My first ever to that venue, and only my second story ever to a non-WotF publication house. Scary, but not as difficult as it was the first time. Snapper, you might be interested to know that it was Dead Bird.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delli
Member # 9202

- posted      Profile for Delli   Email Delli         Edit/Delete Post 
Do I send out my story now? or wait until people in my group say they are ready? Sorry, newbie here!

I'm happy to receive and do crits whenever people would like to send them to me.

Posts: 96 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Go ahead, Delli. Its past the date for the first draft. Some, like me, are just slow. But I'll do your crit.
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

I'm a little confused, are we doing the three group set up one person suggested?

Or sending it to everyone? As far as I can tell there has been no official word or that everyone has agreed.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

I assumed it was the three group set, so I sent my story to those in my group. If anyone outside the group would also like to exchange I can do that too, just send me your story and I will reply in kind.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, for now, send it to the people in your group. Just before 2nd drafts are due out, Writer Dan in all his glorious wisdom (and I mean that sincerely), will let us know which groups to send to. Unless you do something on the outside, not everyone will get everyone's story. Two groups will see your story.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

- posted      Profile for JohnColgrove   Email JohnColgrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Question: Is it too late for me to join? I already have my first draft completed so that's not a problem. Origionally I submitted it to Asimov's but it got rejected.
Posts: 174 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dtn
Member # 9174

I'll let Writer Dan answer your question of if you are too late to join. My guess would be "no" but I don't know.

So, I've received two stories from my group.
I have probably 3k words left to write on mine. My goal - finish that tonight. Polish story tomorrow. Send out on Tuesday. Begin crits either Tuesday night or Wednesday.
So, to all in my group - Sorry for the delay

[This message has been edited by dtn (edited April 19, 2011).]

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Update on mine: I finished the first draft of what I thought could be my WotF story a couple weeks ago. Upon further reflection, I've decided I don't like the story. I can do better. So I'm starting from scratch. That means those in my group for the first round won't get a story from me.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I sent out mine tonight. I have received one story and one notice of being late.

But it seems like half of us are behind, evidently some more than others. Must be a slow time for writing. In whatever case it looks the late people are not alone.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delli
Member # 9202

- posted      Profile for Delli   Email Delli         Edit/Delete Post 
Have sent out my story - but have just been looking at it now with fresh eyes and man oh man, it is quite the rough draft. Sorry guys!
Posts: 96 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
I have sent my story out to my group. Meredith and bwthomason should have received my crits. Please let me know if there was any problem with the files.

Melanie

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't receive your crit. I should have your crit to you tonight or tomorrow.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not near being ready. My story is outlined, but the prose is yet to flow from my fingers.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

I'm about 7/16 done. I had intended it to be a shorter one, but it's not turning out that way.
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
Meredith--I tried again, hopefully it worked this time.

Melanie

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

genevive42 7/16 ?? that's an odd percentage. What not quite half way?

Did you get mine? Hopefully it's in better shape than last time.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

Well LD, I'm 78/142 through with your story.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Sounds like another almost but not quite half way mark.

I'm afraid I'm at the not quite starting mark of the one story I have received.

Forget my fractions would that be 0/0 or 0/1.0 or both?

genevive42
Member # 8714

Zero divided by anything is still zero.
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Zero divided by anything is still zero.

Ah, not quite. Zero divided by zero can be anything - remember l'Hopital's rule. Hmm, I wonder how this story would go... (The discoverer of this theorem, having convinced the academic mathematical community of its validity, was bashed to near death upon attempting to convince the wider community, in a similar manner to astronomers that took away the planetary aspirations of Pluto, and that's why we call it l'Hopital's rule.)

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

l'Hopital's rule?
dtn
Member # 9174

quote:
I have probably 3k words left to write on mine. My goal - finish that tonight. Polish story tomorrow. Send out on Tuesday. Begin crits either Tuesday night or Wednesday.
So, to all in my group - Sorry for the delay

My 3k words turned into 6k. This one's going to be close to 15k - woah! But it's all out there on paper/disk now. I'm still on track. I'll polish it up a bit tomorrow and send it out - then begin crits on Wednesday!
Note the time of this post A full-time worker/part-time writer's life I guess...

[This message has been edited by dtn (edited April 19, 2011).]

Utahute72
Member # 9057

Well one thing that all this procrastination has helped is I can work on one thing at a time, I should be done with LD's story by the time I see any more. Worked out perfectly for me. I might even be able to sneak an entry into the current challenge in the meantime.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

@JohnColgrove: Sorry I'm a little slow on the draw this quarter. Sure you can join. Send to group 3. Glad to have you on.

@Group3: Send your story to JohnColgrove if you haven't already.

Updated group listing for first quarter crits:

Group 1:
WriterDan
bwthomason
Meredith
mrmeadors
Christopher

Group 2:
DTN
Utahute72
LDWriter2
Owasm
genevive

Group 3:
Dark Warrior
JenniferHicks
RobinWeeks
Delli
JohnColgrove

[This message has been edited by WriterDan (edited April 19, 2011).]

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

- posted      Profile for JohnColgrove   Email JohnColgrove         Edit/Delete Post 
cool thanks I'll send my story out right now.
Posts: 174 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

Just so everyone knows, I'm a slow reader
dtn
Member # 9174

Okay - my story's out to group two. It's a beast - sorry.
Let me know if you didn't receive it.

Owasm
Member # 8501

Group 2: I'll have my first draft out by the weekend and probably get your drafts to you before then.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I have two stories now and one crit.

The second one must be yours dtn.

JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

I just felt like saying to group three that when you crit my story you're probably just confirming what I already know

[This message has been edited by JohnColgrove (edited April 20, 2011).]

genevive42
Member # 8714

John, if that's the title of your story, you should remove it from your post. It can cause problems with the anonymity requirement for WotF. In general, don't mention your title or too much of what the story is about on these boards.
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

Oh ok. Guess I didn't realize that.
genevive42
Member # 8714

Just looking out for you. I'd hate for anyone to get disqualified over something like that. The same goes if you post an opening in Fragments and Feedback. Don't use the real title and don't say it's for WotF.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Looks like I missed one. Sorry, Brendan. Group 3 also has Brendan, so if you're part of it, check to be sure you've swapped with him as well.

Updated 1st crit groups:

Group 1:
WriterDan
bwthomason
Meredith
mrmeadors
Christopher

Group 2:
DTN
Utahute72
LDWriter2
Owasm
genevive

Group 3:
Dark Warrior
JenniferHicks
RobinWeeks
Delli
JohnColgrove
Brendan

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay, now have three crits. And I think still only two stories.

But so far all three has the same basic criticism, at least for the opening.

And it looks like I failed again, I don't think any of the three saw what I was trying to set up.

Most be something else that has changed for writing stories. I know I have read Masters that had similar openings. But than again people like Isaac Asimov were better at the beginning than I will ever be at this rate.

For me it just like some of the good, old fashion SF I used to read. Of course grammar, certain scenes etc., need to be fixed but that's not the plot.

JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

I might as well say it now. I don't think I'll get my story revised in time to send off to group three again, but I will try. Reason I say this is becuase I'm the type of revisor that has to start from scratch in order for the revision to be successful. So sorry in advance
genevive42
Member # 8714

I've got two scenes left, possibly three. And then some reworking for stuff I discovered and smoothened along the way.

It's getting there.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Smoothened? ROFL Smoothened?

Love it. Absolutely LOVE IT.

Sorry to say, I'm still nowhere on my story. Well, no further than I was...um...forever ago. I have three scenes left to write and they will get done...sometime soon. I'm so specific it's making me sick.

On the up side, my dissertation is about 30 pages from having the first draft complete, and after that's done I should have much more time to devote to my story for this quarter. Um. And the crits I owe people... They're coming! I promise!

Owasm
Member # 8501

I finished my first draft tonight. 12,000 words of good old fashioned space opera. My, I didn't intend it to be that long, but we'll see after the critiquers get their claws into it. I'll be sending it out in three days or so. I've got to let it sit and then go through a couple of good edits and then out it goes.

Thank you, group, for your patience.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited April 26, 2011).]

genevive42
Member # 8714

Sign in the bathroom of a Chinese hotel in Beijing:

Please Use the mat to guard against smoothening.

No joke. I've loved the word ever since.

dtn
Member # 9174

Yes. I have a mat in my own bathroom to guard against smoothening as well.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I think I received all my crits now, and sent out two. At least I hope I did, Just realized I've gotten E-mails with the same title confused.

Can't blame it on old age either, lack of sleep maybe and/or too many projects and E-mail conversations going on at once. Or tired eyes, blurry eyes can misread things.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

I've gotten Crits from everyone in the group and reviewed 3 of 4. So on to rewriting mine.
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I expected to be a lot busier with this right now. I've received one crit and two stories, both of which I've already returned.

Does anyone from another group want to do an extra exchange?

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Firstest draft is finished but not ready to go out. It needs to sit a day or two and then I'll polish it to the best of my ability. This one did a lot of developing as it went.
No sense having y'all tell me what I already know is wrong with it.

Thanks for your patience.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

genevive42

Firstest ?!?

Making up words now???

Yeah, I know we are writers we can do that.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.