Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q03 (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q03
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I received the HM re-notification. Apparently anyone who responded to the earlier e-mail was sending to the wrong address.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

I received the second notice also. But I also got the first one but evidently they didn't get my reply. I wonder who did. One of her sentences makes it sound like someone-like a hacker- did it purpose.

Hmmm, that's right it went to my spam file.

her note not my reply.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited September 07, 2011).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!! I got honorable mention!!! My first . I am very happy.

Melanie

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Melanie. Yours was another I read I thought deserved at least an HM. I know a lot of people on here are down on the HMs, but I was reading another thread from the contest that said if you got an HM you were in the top five percent of entries. I don't know how true that is, but if it is that's not anything to feel bad about. It's probably that your story just didn't click as well as another one in the pile.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Melanie!
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to you all.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmmm, Utahute I didn't realize there were a lot of people here down on them. The quarter before this one seemed to get a lot of congrats for HMs. Some of us might be not so excited about them but I don't think that is the same as down on them.

Or have I missed some conversations? That is possible.

And I add my congrats to Melanie. Niiice.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited September 07, 2011).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

LD, you referred to it as a rejection with exceptions.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I am definitely down on getting an HM. My first one had me dancing in the living room. The second one, too, because it meant the first one wasn't a fluke. After that, they started to feel like old hat. Now I'm on number six, and it comes on the heels of two quarters in which I placed better, so it feels like a step down. It's all a matter of perspective.
Utahute72
Member # 9057

Jennifer, I can definitely see your point, but since I'm a glass half full kinda guy, I would look at it as your writing is consistently good, but maybe the material doesn't quite fit KDW's view as well as some others.
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
Finalists have been announced:

http://news.yahoo.com/3rd-quarter-finalists-writers-future-contest-announced-author-070909240.html

Huge congratulations to Trina Phillips!!!! Any other Hatrackers on that list?

Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Trina!
Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

There's a Dustin Adams in that list, who might be Axeminister...I'm still trying to think of whether I "know" anyone else.
Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Edited for the sake of everyone's sanity.

Moved to the blog http://dustinadams.wordpress.com

Axe

[This message has been edited by axeminister (edited September 09, 2011).]

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to both of you, Trina and Dustin.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome Dustin, Trina. Absolutely Awesome. Have we had two in the same final before?

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
Grats Trina and Dustin!

Tom

Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

Hi Brendan,

Patrick O'Sullivan and I were in the same final for Q4 2010 (that bastard). Don't know any further back than that.

Nick

Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

Congratulations, Dustin!!!!!!!! Woo hoo!!!!!!
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Mazel tov!
Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
AWESOME!!! Congratz you guys!!!
Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

Great job. Congratulations to both of you.

It was an honor to critique your story, Genevive.

BTW, Where do they post the winners and HMs?

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited September 08, 2011).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not in the group, but want to add a huge Congrats to you both, and all the HM's, too.
Excellent!

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Congrats to you both! Maybe you will follow up Brad and Adam and make it the second time with two Hatrack winners.
Utahute72
Member # 9057

Congrats guys. That's a pretty good batting average for this group.
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Trina, Dustin, big hearty congrats to the both of you!
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all.

Despite Dustin's 'revelations of mediocrity', I hope we both win. I read and critiqued his story twice before his final edit and it's great, fully deserving of a win. I look forward to playing tour guide when he comes to LA for the workshop and awards ceremony (whether I win or not).

I was very excited to learn that we were both finalists. His cryptic e-mail tease had me accusing an entirely innocent person of having loose lips. Glad I didn't say anything before I learned the truth.

It's interesting that when Joni called, she didn't identify the organization, she just gave her name. My heart paused for a moment, then I remembered to breathe and I realized this was The Call. I was actually working on the outline for my next WotF entry when the phone rang. We talked for a bit where I kept saying 'wow' and how I'd given up on this quarter because I thought she would have already made the calls.

After I got off the phone, my excitement kept me from being able to focus on anything. Of course, I made all the requisite phone calls. No one in my family is tech saavy enough to leak the big secret. Then my boyfriend took me out for a celebratory dinner, but being late and a Monday, we ended up at Carrows. I got a more proper celebration on Wednesday night.

So now is the big wait and the wondering what I might have done to make the story better. On Dustin's advice, I haven't looked over my story. Evidently there's a risk of finding typos that will drive you crazy at this stage.

So thanks to everyone who read and critiqued and help me make this a better story. Your input has been spectacular.

Fingers crossed – for both of us.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin has now, of course, doomed himself to 1st place.

Well done, Trina and Dustin both.

Folks, seriously, all you have to do is keep trying. You can get there. Dustin and Trina are up for the big win. Hopefully the judges are swift and the placement can be announced before too much agony has been endured.

=^)

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

I do have to admit my ears picked up on Monday night when my wife came out of the house holding the phone saying, "It's Joni from Writers of the Future." Alas only checking to see if I had seen the e-mail.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
What great news! Good for both of you, Dustin and Trina. And best wishes on the judging.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delli
Member # 9202

- posted      Profile for Delli   Email Delli         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That's awesome! Congrats guys!
Posts: 96 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I'm late to this but Congrats Trina Congrats Dustin

Yeah there's room you could both get in. Probably deserve it too.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Utahute
quote:

LD, you referred to it as a rejection with exceptions

I didn't really mean it as a put down of HMs, just not as excited as some.

In a way I kinda feel the same way as Jennifer but not for the same reason.

My first three HMs, the third one is the one Joni called and the first one listed on their blog, I got by myself with one to three revisions of each story. Now I need all the help I can get from the people here and a few revisions to get one. I seem to have forgotten how I once wrote.

Still not sure why Joni called me except she seemed to have called everyone that quarter.

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Ack!
Brad, don't say that. I have to stay under Fate's radar...

Actually, I'm going to move that long post to my blog where folks have to volunteer to read it, instead of it filling up pages of the forum.

@Owasm. Aw, come on Ken, was it not an honor to read mine too?

*story time*

I'm as green as can be. Sure I've been writing for years, but I've never submitted anywhere or really given my writing out for anyone to read. I finally find this forum, finally join, then finally join this group.

I send out my behemoth of a story and rub my hands together in anticipation of my first crit telling me I have a masterpiece.

Ken's crit comes in. I open the e-mail with a smile. He says: (paraphrasing) "If I didn't have to critique this, I would have stopped reading early on."

I was like, "hmm." Then I was like, "I wonder if I can find out where this guy lives based on his IP #, which has been logged..."

As it turns out, of course, the advice was perfectly sound, and exactly what I needed to hear. I scrapped the story completely, and rewrote it from word one.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

You know what, Axe? I looked back at my emails to try and find your story. I thought I worked on it, but couldn't find evidence. I did for Genevive.

So it is DOUBLY an honor to have given you both input. It looks like that may be as close as I'm going to get to a win.

Anyway, I sincerely hope you both tie with a 1st.

axeminister
Member # 8991

Ken,

I believe I sent it to you on April 14th, 2010.

But please don't read that old version. I think only like 2 people in the whole world liked it.

Axe

WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Figures that the one day I don't check this freaking forum is the day that everything happens... lol

WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big time congrats for Trina and Dustin!!! Best of luck your way for the next level. Will be waiting to hear about the results of that one, as I'm sure you will each be too. Let us know asap.

Updated my "Woo-hoo list" on the first post of this discussion. If anyone has more for me to add, send a note my way.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

Has anyone heard from any semifinalists and silver HMs? Has everything already gone out? I still haven't heard a thing, and Joni responded to my e-mail saying to please be patient. Anyone else waiting, too?

[This message has been edited by Grayson Morris (edited September 10, 2011).]

Brendan
Member # 6044

Yes, I'm waiting too, and I think snapper hasn't heard yet either. Thanks for the update.
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Nothing here, either.

Seems like last time I got my rejection before the finalists were announced.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited September 10, 2011).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

So we have two finalists and four who haven't heard. Not too shabby.

With everything going on now I'm not sure whose stories I critted so I'm not sure if I read any of these.

Owasm
Member # 8501

I haven't heard anything, yet. Although I'm not putting too much thought to it.

However it is SF and the story is about saving the world...

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

The list is up of all placements for Q3.

http://www.writersofthefuture.com/node/702

Meredith
Member # 8368

Hmm. Well, I guess that makes this another rejection. Presumably that email will come or else it got eaten in the same glitch that caused trouble with the HMs.

Congrats to everyone who placed.

axeminister
Member # 8991

82 HMs
4 S-HM.

Slow quarter? Or is she getting pickier?

Glad to see Steffenwolf on there again.

Axe

Brendan
Member # 6044

I'm still unsure. I entered the story on the last day and had trouble the day before. The confirmation came the day after, so I am not sure which quarter it got entered. What are your recommendations, should I follow up?
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Yes, send a query to Joni. You should know which quarter you were entered in, especially if you have another story lined up for Q4.
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

A straight rejection here, too. There were lots of those in that last group waiting to hear, it seems. It's kind of hard to swallow, but having folks I know write well rejected along with me makes me feel better. It doesn't mean I'm a bad writer, or even that I wrote a bad story; it just means KD didn't like it.

Right? :-)

Owasm
Member # 8501

Right!

*He says, noting that he never received word, either.*

Utahute72
Member # 9057

Have we heard anything from our finalists yet? Any wins?
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.