Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q03 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q03
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, finally, my first draft is out to Group 2. I hope your red pencils are sharpened.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang. How did this sneak up on me so fast? Anyhow, here we are. As a reminder post, these are the current groups:

Group 1:
WriterDan
bwthomason
Meredith
mrmeadors
Christopher

Group 2:
DTN
Utahute72
LDWriter2
Owasm
genevive

Group 3:
Dark Warrior
JenniferHicks
RobinWeeks
Delli
JohnColgrove
Brendan

For round 2 crits:

if you're in Group 1, send to the Group 3 list;

if you're in Group 2, send to the Group 1 list;

if you're in Group 3, send to the Group 2 list.

Anyone else think the word "Group" just looks funny? lol. Must be too late for my feeble mind to handle it...

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Late. Feeble.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have my story ready in a few days. I was waiting on the last crit from Group 1, but it doesn't look like that'll be coming at this point.

I haven't seen Christopher's crit or his story, either one.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited May 07, 2011).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Ditto, Meredith.

You haven't seen mine either.

Hope the crits that you did get were helpful though. That's what we're all here for.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
Ditto, Meredith.
You haven't seen mine either.

Hope the crits that you did get were helpful though. That's what we're all here for.

True, but if I remember correctly, you at least said yours was going to be late. And I did get your crit, which was very helpful.

Haven't heard a thing from Christopher.

Back to work on my story.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I'm still working on mine after the slice and dice I got from round one.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

I think I have received two stories and sent out one crit. I need to do the other one tomorrow. Your story Trina.

And as I said already I have received all of my crits. Even though there seems to one missing. I can't figure out who so it's probably my imagination.

That means I need to be working on my story except that it seems to be not the right type.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Sent my second crit.

Kinda small sample here but I think we have a couple of good chances of getting at least a HM or two so far.

For some of us.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I am ashamed to admit I haven't written even the first word of my Q3 entry. I've been pounding away at an anthology submission that has a deadline of May 15. Now that the first draft of that is done, I can start on WotF. I'll probably finish my first draft after this critique group is done for the quarter and end up begging for readers. *sigh*
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

I'll probably be in your boat too, Jennifer. Surprise, surprise, surprise. Don't worry overly much.
dtn
Member # 9174

- posted      Profile for dtn   Email dtn         Edit/Delete Post 
Due to unexpected circumstances, I'm afraid to say that I am pulling out of this quarter. I'll have to try for next time.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delli
Member # 9202

- posted      Profile for Delli   Email Delli         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys, really sorry but I'm going to have to pull out also. A wee bit sleep deprived this month and my story just needs such a lot of work that I won't have it ready. Thanks for your help this far though Hope to see you again in another quarter (except for those that win of course! )
Posts: 96 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Updated groups, after a couple dropouts:

Group 1:
WriterDan
bwthomason
Meredith
mrmeadors
Christopher (??)

Group 2:
Utahute72
LDWriter2
Owasm
genevive

Group 3:
Dark Warrior
JenniferHicks
RobinWeeks
JohnColgrove
Brendan

For round 2 crits:

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Thanks for all that extra work Dan. Not to mention the work you did originally.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Halfway through this quarter and I haven't even begun to think about my submission.

Edited to fix my third grade spelling education

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited May 18, 2011).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you, Snapper. I still haven't written a word. But six weeks is plenty of time, right?
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I still do have my Q1 entry that was never entered. I could use the time to tighten it up a bit more.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

snapper your story is leaving??? That's a shame.

Sorry couldn't help that.

But you could use that one again.

And Jennifer six weeks is plenty of time to write a story. You may not have much time to get it critted though, depending if you work well under pressure.

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't received anyone's second draft. So if you sent one, try again.

As for me, I'm going to start my revisions on Sunday or Monday. I hope to have my second draft out by the end of the month. I've gotten some great input and think I know the push and pull I need to do to make this story better. Thanks to all of my first draft readers.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I haven't sent mine out yet. I keep forgetting it.

I thought I might send it out tonight but it needed a bit more work and I kept getting interrupted. So tomorrow, unless something else comes up.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited May 19, 2011).]

Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how many in my group are still active. Jennifer Hicks is running late on her draft, and Delli pulled out - those were the only two I have received a critique from so far - not quite enough to see any real trends. I haven't sent it to the second group yet because I was hoping to revise it before I did. (Actually, I have had a third critique, so genevive42 isn't fresh eyes either, and I was hoping for a guy to look at it, as it is intended to resonate with men, well, nerds, well, think Lenard or Raj from big bang theory. So far everyone that has given a critique is female.)
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

- posted      Profile for JohnColgrove   Email JohnColgrove         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I should've said something earlier, but I have to pull out, not as much time as I thought I'd have
Posts: 174 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

After a few days of prep work (character development, world-building, etc.) I started writing last night and am at a whopping 400 words. My goal is a minimum of 500 words a day, which should get me to "the end" with time to spare.

@LDWriter2: I actually tend to muck things up on rewrite, so less revision time and fewer critiques work to my advantage.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I should have mentioned this before but the story I will be sending to the second group is different from for the first group. Every one of them said the original story was too boring and one said it was too old fashion for WotF. But the boring comments carried more weight since each person said it.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And Jennifer that sounds good. I need to do a bit of revision myself but I have found that my best writing is three revisions or less. A couple of times four. But none of my stories that have had five to ten revisions have every done even a quarter well.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Updated groups:

Group 1:
WriterDan
bwthomason
Meredith
mrmeadors
Christopher (??)

Group 2:
Utahute72
LDWriter2
Owasm
genevive

Group 3:
Dark Warrior
JenniferHicks
RobinWeeks
Brendan

For round 2 crits:

Also, if anyone needs a new set of eyes on their story, feel free to shoot it my way. I've already emailed Brendan about doing that. Right now I'm trying to find the motivation to finish my story. Writing this dissertation has taken more out of me than I expected it would. Consider this a kick in the pants for everyone. Including me!

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay, sent in my story and sort of gotten one critique back. Boy, that was quick, especially with my writing.

But unless I lost another story, I haven't received any yet.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I have received four crits so far but no stories.

Well, maybe one. I've been doing a lot of crits lately for here and another site and it seems like I did one for hatrack. But it would have been just one.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I haven't received any stories, either. It seems our critique group as a whole is rather quiet this quarter.
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
I haven't received any stories, either. It seems our critique group as a whole is rather quiet this quarter.

You must have gotten mine because I got a crit back from you.

Owasm
Member # 8501

no stories from Group 3 yet. Not a one. But then, I haven't sent mine out yet. Coming in a couple of days... it's simmering for a while before a final look through.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited May 31, 2011).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Meredith, I meant in this round. I did critique a few stories, including yours, for previous rounds.
Utahute72
Member # 9057

I'm in the same place as OSWAM, I have completed the rewrite, working around some computer issues and family issues, but I want to let it mellow for a couple of days to make sure it works.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Is it too late to join this group? I've got a draft that I'm pretty sure won't win and I (mostly) enjoy doing crits.

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick,
The next quarter's group just started up.

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum2/HTML/000260.html

This one is winding down.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

My second draft will be going out to Group 1 tonight, after a final polish.

Thanks everyone.

genevive42
Member # 8714

It's been sent. I look forward to your comments.
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Axeminister,
I was hoping to do a crit round for the third quarter, not start a story with the intention of entering into the fourth quarter. I have a completed story and I’m happy to do a round of crits for everyone else.

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
Put my story in the mail over the weekend... Godspeed, brave packet! Now I can concentrate on Q4...if my allergies allow it.

Melanie

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Hi Nick,

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

My story is on its way. Send yours whenever you're ready.

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick,
Gotcha.

I'll be hard copy mailing mine this week.
After doing the electronic thing once - and receiving no rejection/HM/Win nor reply to my query regarding said entry - I've decided to go back to mailing it. =)

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

So do I take it from the comments that snail mail is the way to go?
genevive42
Member # 8714

I've done electronic the last couple of times and had no problem. I will be doing it again.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I haven't had trouble with the electronic submissions system. I'm paranoid that it will eat my story at some point, but until that happens, I will continue to submit online.
Utahute72
Member # 9057

Thanks.
Meredith
Member # 8368

I've finished my revisions. Beefed up the magic system and adjusted the ending, among other things.

Would anybody be willing to give it a quick read to make sure I didn't create other problems before I send it off?

Owasm
Member # 8501

Send it along. I'll read.
genevive42
Member # 8714

I'll read.
Utahute72
Member # 9057

I'll read it Meridith. Also is anyone in group 1 still around and looking a stories.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.