Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q03 (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q03
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read for anyone who still needs it. That's with the understanding that when I finish my story, I'll need a couple of readers, too. I'm about two-thirds done. Talk about taking it to the wire.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, I thought I was slow Jennifer, I'd gladly read yours.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not being slow per se. I spent the first month of the quarter writing a story for a different market, and that put me behind on WotF. But I figure that as long as I hit the "submit" button by June 30, it's all good.

Oh, and edited to say: Thanks for the offer. I'm sure I'll take you up on it.

[This message has been edited by JenniferHicks (edited June 08, 2011).]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Meredith and Jennifer I'll read both of yours since no one has sent me any stories yet.

But if suddenly I get a bunch it might take a couple weeks.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

Yea, I haven't seen anything from group 3 either.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, in the past two days I've gotten three stories to crit. I"m going to try my best to get to them, but June is very busy for me, and I was also hoping to get some done on my Q4 story in the next couple weeks. After this weekend I may have a bit more time. Sorry--I had cleared my May schedule, thinking I would get more stories then, so everything is in June now . But I'll try to get on them ASAP.

Melanie

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

Melanie

A wise man told me this week that your own stuff should come first. OK, it was snapper, but nonetheless.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say he qualifies.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone needs a crit, regardless of what group they're in, I find myself with an empty queue. Send it on.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I have one story I need to crit this weekend.

I believe that makes the second one I received this time.

I might be able to do one more if anyone absolutely need one more crit. I may not be able to say much depending,

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone still needs a Q3 crit let me know. I didn't do an exchange this quarter with you all but I'm always free to give feedback if needed. Send it along to my email if the need is still there.

Tom

Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I hope to finish my first draft tonight. I'd love for you to take a look at it, Thomas. (I'm cutting it way too close this quarter.)
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Just sent mine off. Fingers crossed.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
You can send it my way too, Jennifer, if you want.

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Thanks Brendan. I sent my story to three people, and the opinions went from "this needs some work" to "this is a hot mess" (paraphrasing there). In any case, I'm taking one last crack at Q3 by writing yet another story. This will be the third one for this quarter. I'm determined to write something that has at least a shot at doing well.
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I was going to offer to read, Jennifer. Maybe the next story when that's ready.

And I thought I was cutting it close.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Jennifer I may be misunderstanding what you mean but isn't "this needs work" one of the reasons we send it to be critiqued? Or did the person mean "It needs a whole lot of work"?

It's your story of course and you know what was meant more than me but one it was a mess... paraphrased... doesn't mean it can't be worked on. last quarter I abandoned a story after four out of five said it was too boring for WotF. It could have been fixed but I felt like it would change the story too much.

A side issue here but should the "meant more than me" be "meant more than I"? In the wider world there's been an on and off discussion about the proper use of I and me lately and I've gotten confused.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

This story would take lots of work. When I do heavy revisions to what's already written, I make a story worse. Always. In order to fix the many problems, I would have to rethink the entire thing and start from scratch, and I just don't have the passion for this particular story to do that right now. No passion = halfhearted effort = mediocre story. At least for me it does.

However, I am quite excited about this new story. I'm already 2,000 words in since last night. What I'm doing with it feels right (as opposed to the previous story, which did not). At this pace, I should have the first draft done by Friday. It isn't an easy decision to drop a story this close to the deadline, but I do feel that I am doing the right thing.

I should point out that, yes, critiquers are there to tell us what we're doing right and wrong. My critiquers did their job very well, and I thank them for it.

[This message has been edited by JenniferHicks (edited June 22, 2011).]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I hope I didn't butt in there with only half an understanding. But I can see how you would feel that way. And good this new story is coming along so quickly and you like it.

Sounds like you have a good one going,

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I wasn't making myself clear, so it's all good.

Time to go write another scene or two.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Stories due this Thursday, people!

Anyone still working on one? Sounds like Jennifer might be. I definitely need a bit more time with my entry, and I'll probably take some later on tonight. I'm so sick of dissertation right now, it's killing me.

For those that are done: CONGRATS!

For those that aren't: Get busy!! Consider this the heap o' motivation that I need, just shot in your direction.

Was a great quarter. Thanks, everyone, for participating and helping our skillz to grow. See you on the other side.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still working. I had to rewrite my ending and tonight I'm doing a polish edit. Hopefully I'll be able to call it done after that, but I may do one more read through tomorrow night. I want it to be as perfect as possible, but I'm also getting a little bleary-eyed looking at these words.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oops, that's right. That was one of my goals for today. Looks like I may not be able to work on my other novel after all. Still have a five part crit to finish.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I finished my first draft about 3:15 a.m. last night. I got an extra inspirational boost yesterday from attending a book signing for Vol. 27 winner Aaron Hughes (who won on his first try, btw).

So that was five frantic days of writing and not going to bed any earlier than 2 a.m. I'm beat. I still have to do a polishing edit before I submit. On the good side, I think this story is vastly superior to my previous one.

thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
Send it over if you need a quick read Jennifer.

Tom

Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Finished my polish edit. I think. I hope.

One day to simmer and a quick re-check and off it goes.

mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
BEst of luck everyone!!!

Mel

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay, just sent mine in. Got the confirmation. Had a bad moment there. I double checked for my name just before I clicked on submit. Found it under the title of the story..., I deleted that. when I called the story back up it was gone.... quickly made another file. But no way to delete or cancel the original file finally figured I could replace it, so renamed the file slightly and replaced the original. It worked, the page stated the new file name was there. I guess I will find it if the wrong file got sent anyway but so far everything is go.

Now I can thank everyone who spent so much time on the story. I appreciate all the work, however long the crits were. I changed a few things on my own; got rid of some -ing words and was-s, shortened- redid some sentences, as well as changed most but not all of the suggestions. So again Thanks.

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
So late. And with a different story than I started with. Now on to the 4th Quarter!
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I need to start revising the 4th quarter story.

As well as revise a novel, finish another one and work on a third- maybe even start a new one- and crit a couple of stories for critter and one chapter for here. Seemed like there was something else. Don't think it's any other crit.

One thing I need to do is look over a couple of web sites so I can get my story on smashwords.

Love these writing vacations.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited June 28, 2011).]

genevive42
Member # 8714

Mine's in. Fingers crossed.

Good luck everybody.

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Whew!
What a relief.
Now, on to the next quarter!

Axe

p.s. enjoy the fruit - ninja.

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I just submitted mine, too. That makes 11 straight quarters and counting.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Got my draft out. Finally. I've sent it off to a bunch of people in the group, just in case somebody has a bit of time available tonight. If not, no big deal. I know that it IS opening night for TF3. If anyone else is open, and I didn't send it to you, AND you're willing, let me know. Thanks, everyone, for making this a great quarter. Luck to you all!
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Good one Jennifer.

I don't know how many consecutive submissions I've had to WotF but it's not even ten much less eleven.

All together it's quite a bit more but I skipped a few quarters in a row a while back and now it's one or two every so often.

But I would like to see a list of those who entered this quarter. By nice to know how many and who they are.

LDWriter2

Utahute72
Member # 9057

Wow Jennifer and I thought I was stubborn. That's gotta be some kinda record for beating your head against a wall.
genevive42
Member # 8714

Dan, I sent my crit last night. Let me know if you didn't get it. Good luck.
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Jennifer's wall is pretty shiny: she's gotten a Silver HM, hasn't she? Just a matter of time before she breaks even higher.
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

I hope I got mine in. I got it rejected from the website - it said it loaded but then rejected it, asking for a new name for the file. I tried .docx, then .rtf, changed the name several times, but the red box kept appearing. I have now looked at it from home, and it says that my second attempt worked, when I look at the site, but I have had no confirmation email.

Does it do an automatic email - I got an email last quarter to confirm it was there. I have now sent an email to Joni, asking her to confirm its arrival. Being in Australia, its too late to get it post-dated on the 30th.

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Every time I have used the e-sub system, I have received an automatic reply that my story was entered. Good luck getting a reply from Joni, Brendan.

There must be people who have entered more consecutive times than I have, just as there must be someone out there with more HMs (yes, one of mine is silvery) without getting anything higher. But I told myself almost three years ago that I would enter every quarter until I either won or proed-out, and so far I've stuck to that.

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hope I got mine in. I got it rejected from the website - it said it loaded but then rejected it, asking for a new name for the file. I tried .docx, then .rtf, changed the name several times, but the red box kept appearing.
Same here. Very frustrating. Fortunately this was two weeks ago, so I just mailed it.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

You know sometimes you need to just keep beating on that wall until it eventually falls down. I'm just impressed with her stamina.
Utahute72
Member # 9057

Just for the record mine went in through the site just fine. Got an e-mail right back.
genevive42
Member # 8714

Same, mine submitted fine electronically.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Utahute72 that can give you an awful headache though. Or make you like Fiona's mother in Shrek Three. I know from personal experience. But in my case the wall did finally go down so it might in this case also.

thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

I think this quarter might be sub number ten or eleven for me, I'm not sure. I'm on the same track, Jennifer, I'm either going to win or pro-out. Hopefully that happens sooner rather than later.

Tom

Brendan
Member # 6044

Looks like I might have submitted. Made it an rtf and tried again just now.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

That would be good Brendan. But if I recall correctly they were people who sent in a story never got a confirmation but their story still ended up getting through and was judged.

So if nothing then ask if they received it.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

So how many did we end up getting in?
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Just submitted mine. Clock on my computer says I made it by 3 minutes. Got my email. Doesn't say which quarter I was entered in though. Maybe I should suggest to Joni that they put that in the email. Anyhow, thanks for all the suggestions I got. You guys all made the difference.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.