Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q03 (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q03
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Utahute72 I asked that question also but no one seems to be counting.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Good for you WD And I think you're right they need a bit more on that confirmation E-mail.

But they are on Pacific time I believe, or does it say differently in the rules for E-submitting? I don't recall at the moment even though I must have looked.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I counted 11

Utahute72
Writer Dan
Brendan
thomaskcarpenter
JeniferHicks
axeminister
LDwriter2
OSWAM
MrMeadors
genevieve42
melanie

[This message has been edited by Utahute72 (edited July 01, 2011).]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
mrmeadors and melanie may be the same person... my first two initials are M.R. It makes things very confusing. I wish I could change my username... On other groups people refer to me as Mr. Meadors, LOL.
Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
WriterDan should be at the bottom of that list because he sent his entry in with only 3 minutes to spare. =)

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Missed me, too. I submitted with about a week to spare.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Utahute72 Thanks for posting the list.

Eleven is enough to win First, second and third plus semi-finalists with a couple of silver HMs... we can take over the awards ceremony nahhaha haha....

BTW It's LDWriter2. Humph... How gauche...

I got dibs on First Place...............

Yeah, right.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

OK, I was switching back and forth, so I probably substituted Melanie for Meridith, so the list should be.

Utahute72
Writer Dan
Brendan
thomaskcarpenter
JeniferHicks
axeminister
LDwriter2
OSWAM
MRMeadors
genevieve42
Meredith

[This message has been edited by Utahute72 (edited July 02, 2011).]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I was unaware of this BB, however, I did enter WotF 2011 Q3, so, I guess my name goes on the end of the list. I hope this doesn't offend anyone...

Utahute72
Writer Dan
Brendan
thomaskcarpenter
JeniferHicks
axeminister
LDwriter2
OSWAM
MRMeadors
genevieve42
Meredith
mbwood

Good luck to all.

Remember the first rule of writing... Write!
MBW

p.s. I just received my HM certificate for 2011Q1 (no, I did not enter Q2) - it's really quite spectacular.

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WakefieldMahon
Member # 9555

- posted      Profile for WakefieldMahon   Email WakefieldMahon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, what mbwood said

Utahute72
Writer Dan
Brendan
thomaskcarpenter
JeniferHicks
axeminister
LDwriter2
OSWAM
MRMeadors
genevieve42
Meredith
mbwood
WakefieldMahon

I will definitely be seeking your help for future entries thanks to those who have welcomed me so far

Posts: 39 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

So the judging starts in a few days???

I read somewhere that they wait a month to make sure of any late overseas entries.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
KDW finished the semi-finalist critiques for Q2 about a week ago, and she takes some time off before starting the next quarter. It'll probably be pretty soon, but we have a long wait ahead of us. I'm guessing the first results will trickle out around the middle of September.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Louis, the wait is definitely killer, but it's every 3 months, so just make sure to have a story in each time and how long it is won't matter.

Or you can skip two quarters like me and feel the wait interminably.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And to take a few days off.

But if you take a quarter off why are you waiting? I don't wait during the quarters I take off. They're just a big blank of nothing.

Well, to WotF that is, not for general writing.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Update from KDW on her message board:

I'm plugging away on reading entries. One thought comes to mind this quarter:

Please be sure you turn off Track Changes, Comments, and that function (whatever it's called) that numbers each sentence. Also, make sure you don't center your text.

I guess that's more than one thing!

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Not sure how to turn off that function, what ever it's called. I didn't know it did it. If my word processor does it or not. I'm sure mine doesn't do Comments. Don't know about Track changes either.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited August 17, 2011).]

axeminister
Member # 8991

Louis,
Yours isn't centered, it's right justified.
Also, I always get things single spaced.

I just change it after I receive it tho. (not sure Joni would take the time to do that.)

Axe

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

axeminister, Hmmm, that's the way I always send it in. My last HM was sent that way.
But in that case I'm not sure what Centered looks like.

No complaints about that even though a couple of magazines have commented on other mistakes... Sometimes I wonder if they like me much over at Strange Horizons, I've made the most manuscript mistakes with them over the years. Just a tiny handful but still.

axeminister
Member # 8991

....This is centered,
........things
....are always in the
........middle.

(sorry about the periods, the BBoard doesn't recognize spaces it seems.)

Books are all right justified. Pick up any book.

Please don't send your stuff single spaced to WotF. You're just hurting your chances.

Send to me any way you'd like. Takes 5 seconds to switch it. =)

Axe

[This message has been edited by axeminister (edited August 18, 2011).]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I do send all my stories out double spaced. Well, to most markets. Some of the E-mags want it differently. Single spaced with extra space between paragraphs and no paragraph indentation.

If I haven't double spaced it as I write it, I usually do it after I do all the revising and spell checking. I think I have forgotten a couple of times over the years... that's easier to do with e-submissions... but it would be a small number.

Then I have to redo for those markets I referenced up top there.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

KDW says this morning on her message board, "I sent my results back yesterday."

So we might start seeing some results soon.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmmm, part of me perks up when the phone rings but a larger part expects an E-mail. With basically one word.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I've been doing this long enough that I usually have a pretty good feel for how my story will place. (Last quarter's semi was an exception because I was sure I had an HM coming.) This time around, I have no clue. I think it's a fantastic story -- one of my best -- until the last page, when I flub the ending. (Of course I didn't realize I was flubbing the ending when I sent the story in.) How it places will, I think, depend on how much weight KDW gives to that mistake.
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not in this quarter, but just wanted to wish everyone good luck! Hope one of you are a finalist this time!
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

According to Duotrope, rejections are starting to trickle out. Good luck everyone! (I'm going to keep busy by working on the Q4 story now.)
Utahute72
Member # 9057

Yea, I have zero expectations for my submission.
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha. Utahute72. (Go Utah, Go Pac12!) I just reread my Q3 story and must admit, I join you in a lament. I discovered three typos in the first five pages. Alas.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited September 01, 2011).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

My flubby ending obviously cost me. Honorable mention. Oh well. There's always next quarter.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
HM for me too. Good company I'm in though.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Well, I was right... mostly. It was a partial rejection. In other words a HM.

axeminister
Member # 8991

Where are you guys seeing the names?

The blog still has last quarter's winners.

Altho it was fun to read Nick's name again. =)

Axe

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Joni sent out the notifications by e-mail.
axeminister
Member # 8991

Ugh, now I have to check my gmail every x minutes.
Nothing yet, and my phone ain't ringing...

Axe

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you axe. I put a new ending on this story that most of you didn't see and I'm hoping for it to do well, but my phone's not ringing either.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't look like any more results are going out for now. With the long weekend, I guess we'll all be in suspense for awhile. Please enjoy your regularly scheduled weekend and try not to think about this.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a fall version of april fool's day? No?

In that case no news from me.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

as to the results not being on the blog. She asks permission and what name we want to use. So there probably will be some soon if not already.

And I seem to get most of my returns toward the beginning. I was going to say all of mine but I think I received two complete rejections late. As in the finalists were already announced.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

I got an interesting phone call from Joni tonight as I walked back in the house from a weekend at Bear Lake. No she didn't tell me I won the third quarter contest. She asked if I had seen an e-mail from her. When I told her no she was perplexed. Evidently she had sent out all the honorable mentions last week and had heard nothing back. I did tell her that three members of the site had reported getting HMs and gave her the names. So the HMs are out, but you may not know it because there appears to be a glitch in Joni's e-mail.

BTW you can also add me to the HM list. Which for me was a positive considering it was my first submission anywhere.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmm, I wonder if that means she didn't get my return E-mail with my name and address?
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Maybe there is still hope. But I doubt it. Anyway, I turned my focus to Q4 a long time ago.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

OSWAM, I would be surprised if yours didn't garner at least an HM.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I sent Joni a return e-mail as well. Huh. Maybe I'll try again.
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
How odd. (I posted this info over at the WOTF forum, btw.) Utahute72, had you already received HM notification before Joni called? I'm wondering if the glitch is in the notification e-mails going out, or in Joni receiving people's replies. (Or, probably, both.)

Huh.

Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

No, I hadn't heard anything.
Utahute72
Member # 9057

Over on the WOTF forum, Brad Torgerson notes that Joni is having trouble with outgoing e-mail.
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
Where are you looking, Utahute72? I don't see anything at forum.writersofthefuture.com - is there another forum for WOTF? (Another place to refresh obsessively at the end of each quarter? ;-) )
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

OK, well it appears that Joni has her problem solved. I just got an e-mail from her and she is resending the notifications to the HM list.
Utahute72
Member # 9057

OK, my bad Grayson, it appears that was back in July. So this may be part of an on-going issue.

Here's the forum I'm seeing this on

http://forum.writersofthefuture.com/

[This message has been edited by Utahute72 (edited September 06, 2011).]

mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard anything yet... I had kind of high hopes for this one. But I'm trying not to think about it...

Melanie

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

We'll hold good thoughts for those that haven't heard yet that it's because you will be getting better news.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.