Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q03 (Page 7)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2011 Q03
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if they had heard, they couldn't say anything here in a public forum. There's a gag order on finalists until Joni posts the winners. And, as far as I know, no announcement has been made.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't heard anything and it's starting to drive me crazy. There's a reason writers aren't entirely sane.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Well, I guess I'm wrong about them not being able to say anything ...
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
We can't say anything if we've heard. But what is there to say when there's nothing to report?
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else get an E-mail about your certificate?

Joni would like to know you got it and if you are displaying it she would like a pic to show the designer.

Hmmm, mine is just laying on top of the previous one, I would like to do something with them besides let them collect dust yet not be too showy, but I haven't decided what yet... that doesn't help Joni though.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get and e-mail, but I did get the certificate.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

The crickets are still chirping and driving me crazy.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Sorry to hear that. Waiting sucks.

I saw a couple of "personal rejections" on Duotrope in the past week and thought maybe that was non-winning finalists logging their results. I guess not.

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Was that a phone I hear ringing!!! Oh, sorry. Just another cricket.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

The 'personal rejections' might have been the semi-finalists getting their critiques.
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
At least the wait is over.

Look for the press release, sans my name.

Axe

[This message has been edited by axeminister (edited October 10, 2011).]

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

ditto
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Well, crap.

You should be proud of your achievement in reaching the finalist level. Neither Brad nor Nick won on their first time as finalists, either. You both made it there once and you'll do it again.

Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is definitely a big achievement you two. You must be so close now, please don't give up.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Shenanigans!!!! Quite a justification of how close you are though. Selfishly, I look forward to being able to crit more of your work.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
Making Finalist and -not- winning ranked as the toughest rejection I'd ever gotten in 17 years of rejections. No question about it. I literally felt like the universe was conspiring to keep me from my dream of becoming a published author. WOTF was my best shot, and when my first Finalist did -not- win, well.... I've said it before, several times. The dark night of the soul. When you have to look in the mirror and ask yourself: how much do I -want- this thing?

If you conclude that you cannot walk away, then you need to give yourself a day or two to get over the hurt, take some time to re-gather yourself, then you need to get back to it. A rejection is a rejection is a rejection, and if you closed within striking distance once, then you need to double down and close to within striking distance again. It can be done. That's the great thing about WOTF: you're not restricted to, "One shot, one kill." You can enter as many times as it takes.

Patience, and persistence, win.

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
So close yet so far as the old saying goes. But still both of you did get close... a whole lot closer than I have ever gotten and a few others around here. So congrats for that much.

And you will do better in future stories.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

Sorry to hear that guys, I had high hopes for a win from this group.

Brad, your "One Shot, One Kill" reminds me of my time as a tank platoon leader.

[This message has been edited by Utahute72 (edited October 11, 2011).]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
Utahute, Marines or Army?

Either way, hooah from this CW2, thank you for your service.

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I shouldn't answer for Ute but he's a humble guy.

Jim is a published author and you likely read his work before Brad. He wrote many of the technical manuals for the army (I read a short bio of his). I also believe you guys are neighbors. Utah must put alphabet soup in their drinking water considering the amount of writers I see live there.

I salute both of you and am very grateful to your service.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Thanks for the encouragement gang.

Before I knew I had a Finalist entry, I had already shifted my focus to my novel series, so I might not revisit WotF for some time.

The thing is, I know my writing is good enough and after a certain point it's about editor preference and market fit. Honestly, my semi-final story was a better story and almost unanimously better received by the crit group (for that quarter). It's convinced me that once you start receiving any sort of recognition in WotF, you're writing is pretty much there. I also think your writing can be top quality and you might never receive even an HM from WotF because it doesn't suit their expectations. Just something to think about.

The other thing I will note is that axe and I both had alien pov stories. My semi was also alien pov. My question is whether an alien pov story has ever won the contest? Does anyone know? It might be another data point, it might not.

For now, I'll just wish everyone that's continuing in this pursuit a hearty "Good luck!" and if I decide to break from the novels and write something short you'll definitely see me drop into a crit group once again. You guys are great! Thanks for all your help.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Genevive, I do hope you try again. Your semi and finalist spots prove that you're right there at the top.

I don't know about alien POV, but I read a story in Vol. 5 last night from the POV of a hovercraft's computer system trying to interpret the vagueness of its captain's command "Get us out of here." I loved it.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

Brad, Army. Spent a couple of years in Armor with the 7th Cav and 2nd Armored and another 18 as a Chemical officer with those units and others.
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

HOOAH!

=^)

History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
My regards (and respect) to you both in appreciation of your service.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob
MAJ USA MC (1980-1992)

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Winners are up:

http://www.writersofthefuture.com/node/705

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, they totally misspelled my name.

William Mitchell isn't even close to Dustin Adams.

I need to get that fixed.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
I mourn with the both of you.

And yet, my selfish side can't help but find solace in the fact that this allows me another opportunity to stand with you both in the winner circle at some future date. Sorry. Like I said: selfish. lol. Best of luck with your future stories.

Hope to see you two around. Until then.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

Well, I found out today that my finalist won't be the 13th story in the V28 anthology. (Which you can pre-order on Amazon for you Nick T fans.)

So, let's all get those stories in for V29 and take over Los Angeles next year.

Axe

OliverBuckram
Member # 9655

- posted      Profile for OliverBuckram   Email OliverBuckram         Edit/Delete Post 
Red alert. Duotrope reports rejections have begun for most recent quarter.
Posts: 53 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

quote:
Well, I found out today that my finalist won't be the 13th story in the V28 anthology. (Which you can pre-order on Amazon for you Nick T fans.)
Sorry, Dustin. You'll make it in there. Just keep at it. As for Nick's story, I'm excited to see it in print.

quote:
Red alert. Duotrope reports rejections have begun for most recent quarter.
I noticed one rejection being logged, too. But one is all I've seen. Unless a whole batch of them land tonight, we can probably consider it an anomaly.
axeminister
Member # 8991

Finalist Alistair Kimble said he logged his rejection today for Q4. He told us not to panic. =)

I have a feeling we won't see Q1 for a few weeks yet. Possibly not until March. I base this on how early in the year the awards ceremony is this year compared to earlier years.

But who knows, KDW is a work horse.

Thanks for the encouragement Jennifer.
I'd like to point out you spelled we'll wrong.
You spelled it you'll.

Axe

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I'll predict the first round of Q1 rejections going out in mid-February -- hopefully with none of us among the unlucky.

quote:
Thanks for the encouragement Jennifer.
I'd like to point out you spelled we'll wrong.
You spelled it you'll.

[Smile]
I've critiqued winning stories in Q2 for two years in a row now, and the streak must continue. Someone here needs to write a winner, and of course I wouldn't object if it were me.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.