Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 5)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
...when you read in terms of rules and critiques.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
...when you get ticked off at publishers for all of the sub-standard writers in their catalogue--without even being rejected by them first.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited March 13, 2009).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

...when you can make two opposing airforces with your rejections. (More so, when you start planning strategies for them.)
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember nostalgia?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
nice one Robert
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

What's another name for Thesaurus?
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
...when you can make up dialogue for the animals at the zoo, and it fits what's going on in the cages.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andromoidus
Member # 8514

- posted      Profile for Andromoidus   Email Andromoidus         Edit/Delete Post 
IB, thats just when you have no life.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drake the thall
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for drake the thall   Email drake the thall         Edit/Delete Post 
why does noone know what a rhetorical question is?
Posts: 35 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drake the thall
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for drake the thall   Email drake the thall         Edit/Delete Post 
life is like a box of chocolates...

someone else already got the good ones.

OR I found mine empty in the trash.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

How many posts are we trying to get, anyway?
Andromoidus
Member # 8514

- posted      Profile for Andromoidus   Email Andromoidus         Edit/Delete Post 
Im thinking the thousand ranges.

when I have writers block I procrastinate by...

Posts: 77 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
I can never get a break. Today I peeled a banana and it was empty.
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
eating
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

checking Hatrack compulsively
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

researching random pieces of my stories on wikepedia

googling interesting words I learn from wikepedia

It's amazing how I can spend hours researching something that's only going to get 30 words in a story

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Didn't we just have a procrastination thread? I'm sure we did.

How about: what's the one element (plot, character, creature or otherwise) that you just can't get away from?

Unwritten
Member # 7960

I can't get away from my characters falling in love with each other. I'm almost to the point where I'm OK with that, but just once I'd like to create a character who wasn't determined to fall in love with someone else before the story was told.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I blew a fuze this morning. Well, strictly speaking, a circuit breaker.

quote:
nice one Robert

Serious extra points if anyone can remember where I got it from.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Why did God desert us?
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

quote:
I can't get away from my characters falling in love with each other. I'm almost to the point where I'm OK with that, but just once I'd like to create a character who wasn't determined to fall in love with someone else before the story was told.

Maybe it's just a reflection of your personality. Are you easy?

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Robert: That would be from the New Yorker: Bobby Bison's Big Memory Offer by George W. S. Trow. (December 30, 1974).

It was satirising Jerusalem the Golden by Margaret Drabble.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited March 14, 2009).]

Unwritten
Member # 7960

quote:
Maybe it's just a reflection of your personality. Are you easy?

Holy cats, that made me laugh. What kind of a question is that?
Melanie

[This message has been edited by Unwritten (edited March 14, 2009).]

Unwritten
Member # 7960

Sheena,
Do you use Schwarzkopf got2b hair gel?

skadder
Member # 6757

I was just kidding!
Unwritten
Member # 7960

I haven't been asked that question for over a decade. For a split second I felt 20-something again. Sigh.

On the other hand, love and being easy are mutually exclusive categories, wouldn't you think?

[This message has been edited by Unwritten (edited March 14, 2009).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:

On the other hand, love and being easy are mutually exclusive categories, wouldn't you think?

Not necessarily.

Love has the ability to come in all shapes and forms. But I wouldn't invest in a ring just because I was grinning wide on the second morning.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a sentence that is easy to say, but just about impossible to write (at least not without sacrificing comprehension):

The word "to" can be written three ways.
The word "too" can be written three ways.
The word "two" can be written three ways.

Maybe it is like this:

The word (to, too, two) can be written three ways.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

InarticulateBabbler: your reference predates my reference...I picked it up from a Spider Robinson book review column in Galaxy sometime between 1975 to 1979.

Down-down-down-dummy-doowah...ooh-yeah-yeah-yea-ah...wo-wo-wo-woao-wah...only the lonely.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...when you can make up dialogue for the animals at the zoo, and it fits what's going on in the cages.

Anthropomorphism

Darwin rolls over in his grave anytime someone does.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Ah well, I tried.
Unwritten
Member # 7960

I didn't want to mess up the recipe section with my drooling, so I'm coming over here to say--yum. That all looks so incredible. You all should write a Hatrack cookbook.
drake the thall
Member # 8042

yeah, but who would publish it?

who would the money go to?

whos face goes on the back?

or, you could just have an essay, see whos is the best, argue over who is the best, and end up giving the rights to charity.

I should stop thinking. its just too much.

drake the thall
Member # 8042

on the other hand, one thing i can't get away from is the blood in my stories. i like to write about medieval times, so it gets bloody fast.
the issue is, im religous, and try to stray away from the whole horror/ adventure/ video game-ish
blood scene. if my book becomes a movie, i want it rated PG-13 at most.

satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
My characters like to fall in love too.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Did you know Darwin and Lincoln were born on the same day?
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
The exact same day - February 12, 1809.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I find my stories all have a similar quality of not being publishable.

And Melanie, nope it's not got2be gel, I use the cheap stuff that's blue and glocky and does in fact smell of cedar.

~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Listen. If you really wanted to join the P.F.J., you'd have to really hate the Romans.
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Anybody who sees a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
Unwritten
Member # 7960

I was just wondering, because that stuff STINKS. I got some on sale, and you'd just think something that costs that much money would at least have a pleasant smell, but nope. Before I get accused of slander though, I ought to mention that it really works.
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How about: what's the one element (plot, character, creature or otherwise) that you just can't get away from?

That's an obvious attempt to remove the randomness from our musings, IB!

Ah, well. Mine is racial conflict. Also, my characters often devote themselves to unappreciative people. Oh, and I shouldn't forget that new technology usually complicates my characters' lives.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Not an attempt at killing randomness (I think you'll find the answers will look pretty random), just thinking about a more practical approach than re-iterating the procrastination thread, and something that might benefit us as well.

I have a problem with my protagonists being too passive. I guess they are usually more explorers than warriors--with the exception of Pantroth, of course.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited March 17, 2009).]

Andromoidus
Member # 8514

I have a problem making my characters less powerfull.

it wouldnt be a problem, except im running out of ideas to make them stronger.

Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really understand your problem, Andromoidus, do you mind explaining?
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andromoidus
Member # 8514

well, I have a character, starts out weak, and by the halfway mark is so strong I cant think of anything that can beat him.

Ive resorted to needless chapters on his tutorship, which is boring and doesnt make good reading, even to me.

it gets annoying.

Bycin
Member # 8297

- posted      Profile for Bycin   Email Bycin         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if he is that strong by the halfway point, where else can you really go with the story? It seems like all conflict is now null and void because it is a given that your MC will win.

It could be that the problem isn't finding ways to make him stronger, but that you already made him way too strong. Is there a reason he needs to be this godlike so early in the book (or even at all)?

Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andromoidus
Member # 8514

well, the antagonist of the book is kinda immortal, so...

I think that Ill lengthen it into a trilogy, with the first two books detailing his learning and the third book applying what he has learned. (with limitations.) I also think that I might give him some trouble CONTROLLING what he learned.

extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
The middle of a story is the climax. A climax is where efforts to address a predicament are greatest and the outcome is most in doubt. Antagonism is greatest at a climax, problems opposing purpose and vice versa, and a purpose might pose problems as well as possible outcomes. An invulnerable, immortal, problem-free (internally and externallly) protagonist is so far over the top in magnitude that there's little latitude for potential opposition and problems. Ubermensch protagonists have been done and found dramatically wanting. An Ubermensch villain, however . . . a mighty, opposing antagonist, at least.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I have a problem making the characters anybody but me. Even the girls.
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.