FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » New members post here! (Page 11)

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: New members post here!
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Kai, this is the best place for it.

If you really want to get into some really good descussions: Click on where it says 'Active Forums,' then click on 'Books, Film, Food and American Culture.'

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BattleSchooler06
Member # 6279

- posted      Profile for BattleSchooler06   Email BattleSchooler06         Edit/Delete Post 
im a 13 yr old from columbus ohio, had to read an OSC book for school once and was immediatly hooked on the Ender/Bean saga. i solely read the ender and bean series..i tried to read some other books but found ender series much more interesting....i like baseball comps and books...i despise school..its so boring
Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alath
Member # 6150

- posted      Profile for alath   Email alath         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Welcome!

Battleschooler, you should try reading the Alvin Maker series, it's very good! [Smile]

Posts: 145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BattleSchooler06
Member # 6279

- posted      Profile for BattleSchooler06   Email BattleSchooler06         Edit/Delete Post 
ill look for it next time i go to the library (when i return CotM...just finished it...again...too lazy to buy it) What is mainly about? i like mystery Sci-Fi action and anything else if its good...but if it doesnt appeal to me i usually wont read it...im one of those kids who are the exact opposite of "never judging a book by its cover"....if the pic is nice...and a good summary on the back then ill read it lol but if nothing...then i usually wont unless i have other sources that tell me its good
Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alath
Member # 6150

Well, it's not a mystery. I'm pretty sure I remember that the summary on the back of the first book in the series, Seventh Son, wasn't very telling of the contents of the book.

I too used to judge a book by the cover but after reading a good portion of OSC's books, I tend to assume that any book by him will be good. Judge it for yourself. And if you don't like it, stop reading it.

Posts: 145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proteus
Member # 794

- posted      Profile for Proteus   Email Proteus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey. My name is Mark and i'm pretty new here. How's everyone doing today?
Posts: 200 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Proteus ! [Wave]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Salutations everyone,
I'm a new member from Bountiful, UT. I've never been registered on a forum before and I don't have much time to peruse them, so you likely won't hear from me too often, but I just thought I'd say Hi.

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in the Seattle area, I am a mother of three kids (7, 5, 20 months) and work part time running my church's nursery. My passions are chocolate, fair trade, and organics. (mmmmmm, fair trade organic chocolate, insert Homer Simpson drool here). I am kept busy homeschooling the kiddos and transporting the 5 year old to ballet, yet still find plenty of time to read. I have read just about everything of OSC's up til about a year ago, I keep planning to get The Crystal City, but, the $$$... I also read Tolkien, Heinlein, Stephen King, Stephen Brust, Terry Pratchett, Larry Niven and Piers Anthony.

[ March 10, 2004, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: romanylass ]

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Welcome everybody !
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
*too cool*

[Cool]

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Proteus, Epictetus, romanylass, and everybody else I forgot to welcome while I was ignoring this thread. [Wave]
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Detheroc
Member # 6311

- posted      Profile for Lord Detheroc   Email Lord Detheroc         Edit/Delete Post 
Well i found this link in the back of one of Cards books so i decided to check it out, and ive found the kind of fanatics i was looking for. If anyone could inform me of his signings etc...it would be great, id love to see hte man in person.

Im from Danville, CA

Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
A fellow CAer! Welcome to Hatrack. [Smile]

The Calendar link up top can keep you updated on OSC's upcoming appearances.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkWizard
Member # 6186

- posted      Profile for DarkWizard   Email DarkWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
I just recently joined and am loving this forum. I discovered EG hidden in the back of a book shelf and read it in a day. Haven't read it lately because my library doesn't have it. Can't wait for the new books and more posts here

Peace Out

Posts: 42 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proteus
Member # 794

- posted      Profile for Proteus   Email Proteus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, silly. I've been here for years, I just post much more sparsely than I used to now I've grown old and weary in the last um.... four years..well ok not that long then! Just nice to say howdy to everyone.
Posts: 200 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alath
Member # 6150

Welcome Dark Wizard! [Wave]
fallow
Member # 6268

Lord, Proteus, Dark Wizard, and any others I missed,

welcome. hope you enjoy and bring lots of fodder to the table!

welcome.

[Cool]

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
braindonor
Member # 6338

- posted      Profile for braindonor   Email braindonor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody, I come to the hatrack page every few weeks for some years now. Just two weeks ago I discovered the forums. Great to find a place where OSC fans can share their views and stuff.

My name is martin, I'm a reporter/journalist for dutch union CNV (www.cnv.nl), 28 years old and an avid science fiction reader. I discovered OSC through the homecomming books and have been reading his stuff ever since. My english is a bit rusty as I haven't been using it much since i got out of school, so please be patient. I'll pick it up again. [Smile]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I'm new. [Smile] Getting a little less new...

I live in Detroit, Michigan (yes, the true Dark City), am 27 yrs old, GWM, single, 6' tall, blond hair, hazel eyes...

Went to Alma College. Love sci-fi, Tolkien, Rocky Horror, gothic music and clubs, reading, philosohy...and OSC!

I am a musician, vocalist, first/second tenor.

Politics tend to be a pragmatic-romantic-centrist with libritarian leanings. [Smile]

[ March 18, 2004, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PhilipTraum
Member # 6331

- posted      Profile for PhilipTraum   Email PhilipTraum         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, this is my first post, but will I post again? Who knows. The "Graemlins" in the right bottom corner of my screen are a little distracting, in fact I think I feel a seisure coming on...
Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Daughter of Diko
Member # 6346

- posted      Profile for A Daughter of Diko   Email A Daughter of Diko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi--it's been a good 2-3 years since I last checked this website out! I'm a "daughter of Diko", who by day is a high school teacher and at night an aspiring writer of speculative fiction. OSC's long been an inspiration; I've read the majority of his canon and both of his writing books numerous times.

Although I am not LDS, I too am a person of faith who appreciates the fact that in OSC's futures and alterverses, there is worship and reverence. I don't think speculative fiction is off limits for Christians, nor should it be.

I'm also from Detroit, Michigan... good to see a neighbor posting a few above me.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geomancer
Member # 6299

- posted      Profile for Geomancer   Email Geomancer         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, peoples. [Wave] This is Val 014's brother here. Good to be member, won't post a whole lot (like a normal n00b) because I don't have alot of time to do much of anything. In case you are tired of spelling Geomancer, just call me Ricky.

"Did you know that 76% of all statistics are made on the spot?"--Brett Vaida...(affectionately dubbed [Hail] "Zoltan".)

Posts: 40 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

This is a good place. Why this concept appears lost on a substantial fraction of the forum denizens remains a great mystery to the Fallow/flish?

Greetings are good.

fallow
Member # 6268

Social graces are a bit of a blunderings around on the living room carpet here.

[Smile]

fallow

Ahribar
Member # 6349

- posted      Profile for Ahribar   Email Ahribar         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone, another new member here... I got introduced to OSC's works a couple of years ago in a counselling session... we were trying to sort out my life and a friend who was sitting with me said that I was Ender... after that I had to read the book to find out what she meant. A very moving experience but also a sad one. Great book. I loved Speaker for the Dead as well, and this term I've read the six Alvin Maker books, which is what brought me here, to find out whether there would be a seventh... I'm so glad to hear that there will be!
Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I ever signed in here as pooka, but this is my landmark procrastination ID.

Okay, it doesn't look like pooka ever introduced herself. But you could go to the Landmark Archive. She has at least one landmark there. pooka's 1000th post

[ March 22, 2004, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: skrika03 ]

Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crux
Member # 6364

- posted      Profile for Crux   Email Crux         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, i'm Nick Crosby.
I'm an art major at USU and am currently in the grad student classes despite my lowly sophomore status. I also am working on my 'nerd-rap' demo... (too damn smart for the populace). I love reading and creating, whatever the medium.
i really should be working on a design for a cessna 180 paint job right now... but you guys are WAY more important than any ol' art career.

right?

you're not?

yeah, umm... i gotta... go. I have ... work to do...

Posts: 20 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Hey Nick,

Welcome. I was up in a cessna today (a sun-yellow bird with a bit of green under the wings) over the westside of LA today. (totally rocked)

fallow

Crux
Member # 6364

- posted      Profile for Crux   Email Crux         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the warm welcome fallow. Cessna's do rock.. and i'm kinda stumped as to what to do... he want's "elaborate and original" So im just gonna paint my face on the side... hehehehe. ... okay, no i won't.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phil Tice
Member # 6370

- posted      Profile for Phil Tice   Email Phil Tice         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is Phil. I'm 25 years old and I'm addicted to reading. I've been married about a year and a half now and my wife and I have a little baby girl. I just graduated from BYU in August and I will be joining the Air Force in June. I'm a linguist by the way. Meaning I studied linguistics at BYU, got my Bachelors in it and hope to never deal with actual linguistics ever again. I did it so that I can learn new languages and that's what the Air Force is going to do, teach me a new language. Anyway, I've been reading OSC for as far back as I can remember really. I have a larger OSC collection in my house than the local library does, I've checked. I introduced my wife to his writing about a year ago and she really likes his writing too. That's me pretty much.
fallow
Member # 6268

Crux,

Facepainting's fun!

Phil,

The more, the merrier. welcome.

[Smile]

fallow

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I never "signed in" here, I have spent my time on "the other side". But I am pretty new. I need to check out this side more often. [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jia-Ning
Member # 6406

- posted      Profile for Jia-Ning   Email Jia-Ning         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a newbie!

I've been a fan of OSC's for about 2 years now, but I haven't read his books in a really long time- so many books to read, so little time! It's depressing. I should really start again, though, and probably will. It's great to find a forum like this- now I know I'm not alone! [Smile]

Posts: 13 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Apooche
Member # 6384

- posted      Profile for Apooche   Email Apooche         Edit/Delete Post 
Im pretty new, been here about a week.

My real name is Miles, im fourteen and just finnishing 8th grade. I have read the Ender series except first meetings, and the Alvin Maker series. Im about halfway through The Memory of Earth. Well high all.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FWG
Member # 6409

- posted      Profile for FWG   Email FWG         Edit/Delete Post 
*waves* I am also a newbie! [Wave]
Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captainmoriar
Member # 6416

- posted      Profile for captainmoriar   Email captainmoriar         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey just joined tonight.

Umm well I have read the entire Ender's Game series/Bean off-shoot(not sure if you count that in the series so...). Really love the books especially on the 2nd meaning level (well that is what I call it)

Well I like OSC's books, reading in general, military history (and regular history), warhammer 40K, and computers.

Also I like good discussions and looking at this board it seems to have better discussions then many others so that should be great [Big Grin]

See everyone around.

EDIT: Oh and I got to see OSC at a signing for Shadow Puppets and got to hear him talk/ask questions and got my book signed [Smile] so that was pretty cool.

[ April 05, 2004, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: captainmoriar ]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erhendil
Member # 6419

- posted      Profile for Erhendil   Email Erhendil         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,
I'm new here. I'm a French girl, so excuse me if my English is not very good... I'm 17. I love reading, and particuliary SF and Fantasy. Orson Scott Card is one of my favourite authors, so I have a mind to speak about him or with people who have the same likings, and this forum seems to be the good one for it [Smile]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CO_Titan
Member # 6433

- posted      Profile for CO_Titan   Email CO_Titan         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, looks like I post here.

Hi all [Wave] , Im new here. I have been browsing the forums here but just never got the time to register to post.

Im a fan of OSC's Ender series. I can't wait until the movie Enders Game comes out. Even though it wont be out for quite awhile. [Frown]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

rock ON! newbs.

The fields of spontaneousness are to the left. The more serious (though not always) furrows are to the right (here).

have fun, multiply if you will, and keep your wits about you!

fallow

PS. I don't really work here, I just like this gig.

Anna
Member # 2582

Welcome, new newbies ! [Wave]
Slurpy
Member # 6505

- posted      Profile for Slurpy   Email Slurpy         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I just found the new members thread two posts too late. I figured that one existed somewhere, but I was too interested in my posts to come looking [Razz] .

So, um, hi, I guess.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
namaki
Member # 6519

- posted      Profile for namaki   Email namaki         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Saw this thread, figured an introduction was in order.

I am a sci-fi fan "de longue date". I read pretty much everything I come across, and what I enjoy I will read again (and again and again). I seldom come across a book that I am unable to finish (The DNA Cowboys is the only one I can think of at the moment).

I originally decided to become an aerospace engineer, but reverted before actually beginning to the softer science of medical biology, so I won't be inventing the Gap drive or developing gravitational technology after all.

I read that there was a OSC site in one of the introductions to one of the books - have no idea which. Finally decided to come see for myself.

I had originally decided to lurk and observe the unwritten etiquette around the forums, but I couldn't restrain myself, and I seem to have posted twice already. I can't have been registered for more than 20 minutes [Roll Eyes]

All the best,
Namaki

Posts: 21 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alath
Member # 6150

Welcome to Hatrack Namaki! [Wave]

Edit: spelling. Arg.

[ May 02, 2004, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: alath ]

fallow
Member # 6268

namaki,

welcome!

I was once a proto-aerospace engineer who took a liking to biological relevance. nice to meet you.

[Smile]

fallow

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see this before, but anyway...I am new.

I am 24 and live in Florida. I have been a big fantasy reader for a long time, with a bit of scifi thrown in on the side. Many years ago I saw Xenocide sitting in my parents house and read it, and thought it was cool...but never thought anything else about it. This past Christmas I got a bunch of gift certificates for barnes and nobel, so I picked up the Ender series (as I remembered Xenocide) and the Alvin maker series. Since then I have devoured both series, as well as some of his short stories. At the end of Crystal City Card mentioned this sit, so I thought it might be fun to stop in.

I have read most of the mainstream fantasy authors...and a few scifi authors. I am one of the administrators of the message board and Terry Goodkind's official site, and have been poster there for many years.

Well, that is a bit of info about how I came here, the rest of it you will see as I post here more.

[ May 02, 2004, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: Lupus ]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

cool! welcome lupus!

how'd you get into the administration job on the other site?

fallow

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been a member there for 7 years or so...back when the webmaster changed from an old style message board to UBB (around 5-6 years ago) he brought me on to help out, as I had previously help run a UBB board, and not only knew how to set it up, but I also knew how to install mods (aka hacks) to the board, and also make my own alterations to the code when needed. I also moderated a UBB help forum, and created a UBB FAQ for members needed help with UBB code, as well as the added features that we added (the FAQ was actually rather widly circulated back then). When the website grew and he needed a couple full time admins to help keep an eye on things, the webmaster had me become a full time admin. I have done it ever since.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wzrd
Member # 6526

- posted      Profile for wzrd   Email wzrd         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi my name is Greg, I am 14 and live in Toronto. I started reading OSC books when I was in fifth grade. After reading that first book (Enders Gamer) OSC has become my favorite author. I have now read 14 OSC and will continue reading them.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Lupus,

wow. I'm not familiar with the board tech lingo, but your tenure is admirable. Got any fav juicy stories to tell? [Cool]

fallow

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.