FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Weight-Loss Encouragement Thread (Page 12)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: The Weight-Loss Encouragement Thread
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Except Myr is a foot taller--I don't have the height to have these issues!

I also really, really dislike stretch jeans. [Frown]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack, they look and feel like regular jeans, they are just stretchy. I love them. Are you thinking of some fashionable jobs? Cuz I don't really understand fashion. These are just Levis-looking jeans.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
ugh.. had a very fattening week in Texas.. gained 2 lbs!!!
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have solved my jeans and pants dilemma by working out that I owe everything to hipsters.

Everything that is fitted at the waist does not fit me - if it's good ove rmy hips then I can't even get the buttons to meet, let alone do up.

If it fits on my waist, the jeans extend about 5 inches away from my hips and give me a sort of shoulder-pads on my thighs look.

If pants are fitted on my hips, they fit me. And that is good. [Smile]

Mack - I know there are some brands out there cut for the classic hips-waist figure. Can't think of what they are though. Not much help!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
:gives imogen a wedgie: [Big Grin]

I've decided to start measuring myself in metric. Sure the weight will appear to "come off" slower. Unless I include the decimals. Fractionals in poundage always seemed so lame anyway. But I guess I should figure my height there too, for the odd person who does know metric.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Week 2 on WW- down 6.6 lbs total. I'm really doing it this time. [Big Grin]
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Core or Flex, Coccinelle?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think Penneys carries Lands End now. Their catalogue is known for its variety of swimsuit shapes.
I would be surprised if Penney's carries Lands' End, unless Penney's is a part of Sears (I seriously lose track of these mergers).

Lands' End was bought by Sears not too long ago, and you can find a limited selection of Lands' End clothing at Sears stores. The catalog has a much better selection, though. (JaneX and I have been basically using what is available in Sears stores to check out sizing - which is better and cheaper than the old method of mail-ordering a size and then sending it back for exchange when it doesn't fit.)

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, it probably was Sears, then.
Myr
Member # 5956

- posted      Profile for Myr   Email Myr         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhhhh

Good job Coccinelle!

Posts: 105 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth- I'm doing flex, but trying to incorporate the core concepts and I'm hoping to ease over to the core in the next few weeks since I know that counting like this is going to make me too obsessed with food.
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, it is definitely easier to "cheat" on Core, but I am trying not to think of it as cheating anymore. I just buy my wine with dinner with my Curves session and/or walk, and have good bread hen I feel like it.
When you get to Core, I made a really good omelet yestrady, using fat free sour cream and salsa as the filling. I put black olives on the side, but next time they will go in the middle as well.
Are you on the Etools? I am, and there are great recipes. I can email you some if you want. Or send me a recipe you make/like a lot, and I will put it in the calculator to see how many points it is.
Good luck!

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, for the last couple of days, I have reduced the amount of meat, and increased the amount of vegetables, in my Core Plan ways. I felt the difference after one day. So I have now decided to count meat as points, even chicken. (not eggs, though)
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to Hawaii over spring break and I gained 5 pounds. [Frown] I feel pretty crappy. I hope to get back on the wagon this week and start losing again.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
I lost about 25 pounds in seventh grade when I joined the wrestling team, and since then I've continued wrestling but I've seen a lot of people have to rapidly gain or loose weight, not to healthy but it works. To lose weight just cut out most sugars from your diet, eat a lot of cereal, cut down on most other things except fruit, and the key part...MULTIVITAMINS. When my uncle (he's a dietician/chiropractor) first gave me some I immediatley felt much more energenic, and your body metabolism and chemical levels go to what the should be so your body breaks down fats and other substances much better.
Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, congrats, Coccinelle! [Smile]

((Allegra)) I know the feeling. I gained over spring break as well (silly WenchCon!). But, hey, as soon as it gets warm, we should walk together. [Smile]
quote:
To lose weight just [...]
Any sentence that begins with this is immediately suspect to me.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

On a related note, why is it that I can have a perfectly healthy breakfast that should be plenty filling, but I'm hungry again an hour and a half later? [Wall Bash]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Try eating oatmeal, Megan. It fills me up for hours. Or, maybe you need more preotein in the morning. Some poeple do.

I agree with the "just..." comments. There is so much more to the whole weight baggage than "just."

Megan
Member # 5290

I'm trying the yogurt and granola thing, since I really like how it tastes. That way, I get fiber, protein, and calcium. I also had a banana.

So, about 9, when I was hungry again, I had a piece of low-fat string cheese. Tasty! But...still hungry. I swear, I feel like I have a tapeworm. [Razz]

I've tried oatmeal before; I'm thinking more protein is the answer, but I can't figure out how to do that without eating mega-points in the morning.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, switch to Core for the morning! ha ha.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Egg whites? Egg beaters?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Heehee...tempting, but I would probably eat my weight in whatever breakfast foods are core. Nah, I'll figure something out.

Maybe I'll start *gasp* cooking again! Break out the egg-beaters. [Smile]

Edit: Exactly, mack! I just usually don't have time at all to cook in the morning. Maybe I'll start pre-making things and freezing them, or something.

[ March 23, 2005, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Megan ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Megan, you can make scrambled eggs in the microwave. Very easy.
Megan
Member # 5290

Do tell... [Big Grin]

I'm pretty much an idiot in the kitchen. I've had a few cooking successes, but they're far outweighed by the failures (I once gave my husband food poisoning, for example).

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I gained back all the weight I had lost these last months. 4 kilograms. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Megan, just scramble hoever many eggs or egg whites together in a bowl. Microwave on high for about thirty seconds. Stir. Microwave again. Stir again if it needs it. If you do not stir, they will end up sort of like an omelet, also good.

I made a fab omelet the other day with fat free sour cream and salsa. The fat free sour cream is a nice substitute for cheese in omelets and burritos.

I also bought some fat free feta chesse and it is very good. I love pasta with feat, tomatoes, and a bit of fresh basil. Just chop the fresh tomato, and the hot pasta cooks it a little bit.

My husband and son are on board with whole wheat pasta and brown rice. My daughter is a white flour gal all the way.

Megan
Member # 5290

That sounds good; I'll get some eggbeaters on the way home tonight and give it a whirl tomorrow morning. The not-stirring thing sounds like it would make a perfect egg-round-y type thing for a breakfast sandwich.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Megan, I cannot attest to the success of this with Eggbeaters! The main thing is just to watch carefully, as the eggs cook quickly.
Megan
Member # 5290

Ok, thanks. [Smile]
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Alle, did you have a good time in Havaii?

Assuming the answer is "yes", then don't worry about it. The point of losing weight is to, say it with me, help you enjoy life.

If you'd skimped on your vacation by trying to mind every nibble, you would have been defeating the larger purpose - to enjoy life.

And really? How many times do you get to enjoy Havaii?

Besides, I know Megan would enjoy having a walking partner. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I did have a good time. Now that I think about it some of the weight might be from muscle. I swam in the ocean a lot and I could feel it in my arm muscles everytime I got out of the water. Thanks for the cheering up. [Kiss]

I ate fairly well today. I hope the rest of the week goes as well or better.

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

That's the other drawback to just monitoring the scale - it doesn't distinguish between muscle and fat. [Big Grin]

Good for you!

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

So, I tried the microwave thing with egg beaters, and it works very well. I had an excellent sausage egg and cheese sandwich this morning with egg beaters, 2% cheese, morningstar farms "sausage", and WW bread...4 points! And didn't get hungry until 11:30! Score! [Smile]

And thanks for the advice, Elizabeth! [Smile]

[ March 24, 2005, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Megan ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I'm glad it worked out! In fact, i was thinking of you yesterday as I was buying eggs. I was hoping there was not an eggsplosion in your microwave. Phew.
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been doing good all week. I had scrambled eggs for breakfast, but made it with one full egg and two egg whites, so lots of volume without added yolks. Then, an orange and in Instant Breakfast. I HAVE to eat breakfast.

Lunch was not so good. I eat in the lunchroom here at work, and there's usually a healthy choice, but today the only thing healthy was straight salad, since the "entrees" were spaghetti and garlic bread or else Frito nachos. I like salad, but it doesn't fill me up and I'm starving later, so I have to have something substantial. I got the spaghetti, but didn't get dessert. THat's...not good, but it's not as horrible as it has been, so Katie-stop-eating-junk is still well on its way.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Good for you, Katie! [Smile]

Oh, and I totally sympathize with this:
quote:
I like salad, but it doesn't fill me up and I'm starving later, so I have to have something substantial.
I always PLAN to have just a salad, and then an hour and a half later, I'm monstrously hungry again.

And, Elizabeth, there was a minor eggsplosion, but it was confined to the container, and only served to freak the dogs out. I used too much egg-beater, though, so my sandwich had a rather large proportion of egg to other material. I'll have to cut back on that tomorrow.

mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
So what are folks doing for exercise? I used to have a dedicated walking buddy, but she is having a baby so she's always tired.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

I am elliptical-trainer-ing. I have an occasional workout buddy, but her current plan is to go when the gym opens at 5 AM every day. I cannot do that. I require more sleep than that. So, I'm going with her 2-3 days a week and going on my own the other days.

Today, I, uh, took a mental health day from the gym.

*sigh* I just couldn't face the sweating today.

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...all those people singing the praises of weight-training weren't kidding. I was horribly sore on Saturday, but even just doing thirty minutes of cardio and weights 2 or 3 times a week, it makes more a difference than when I was doing cardio alone four or five times a week.

Not that I look any different, or weigh any less, but I think I'm shaped slightly differently. That's nice. Most importantly, exercise improves my mood. I did it when I was sort of depressed, and it raised me to normal. Since I'm normal/happy now, it raises me to giddy. Yay!

[ March 29, 2005, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Woo-hoo! Another convert who has seen the light! [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Edit: P.S. It's just a head rush - it'll pass. [Big Grin]

[ March 29, 2005, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

My latest plan is: Curves and 2 mile walk MWF, and a long walk(4 miles) on T and TH. Then I collapse into napdom. Exercise does not energize me like it used to, because of the illness, I guess. Usually, a walk would get me going.
TMedina
Member # 6649

Your body has to recover Liz - one doesn't just hop up after a bout of illness and the lingering effects may take longer still to recover from.

Take your time and work on it - the flesh will catch up with the spirit sooner or later. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Prevention magazine just had a great article and plan on how to work up to walking a marathon (with a daily plan over several months to get up to walking 26 miles).

I like their plan and would love to do it -- but I can see it being a real time hogger. I mean, 30 minutes to an hour a day walking isn't a big deal. But once you work up to 10, 12, 15, or 20 miles for a day -- that takes a LOT of time.

I mean - if it takes 6+ hours to RUN a marathon -- just how long does it take to walk it?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Farmgirl, I used to have a great site training me for a 5K run. I sprained my ankle on day 2, but that is another story. I will try to track it down(so to speak) if you want.

Trevor, you are right, and I know it. The neurologist said my brain will lead the way, and that is that. So, I take advantage of the ability to nap, since I am not working. There is no way I could have survived standing up all day, and the nap-afte-exercise thing reminds me of that.

Farmgirl, I had a great telephone pole training plan last year. The poles are not uniformly didtant, but it is still a good way to build in intervals. Just pick a route, and run from telephone pole to telephone pole, increasing the number of rums until you are running the whole time(if you want to be) I physically can't run yet. It is the weirdest thing. But I can do jumping jacks!

TMedina
Member # 6649

Some people might say you should enjoy a good nap on its own merits. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

The naps are like none I have ever taken. Usually, I am still sort of aware of everything, but with these babies, I am out cold. Instead if waking up groggy and irritable, I wae up flly refreshed, like I used to after my little fifteen minute under-and-up naps.

I have a feeling I am overdoing it a bit on the exercise, as some weird things are happening that haven;t for a while. So, I think it is either Curves or walk, not both. Not for a while.

TMedina
Member # 6649

Take it slow Liz - you'll have plenty of time to abuse yourself later.

-Trevor

Allegra
Member # 6773

I had a great day at the Y today. I was kicking butt on the eliptical and the bike. [Smile]

I splurged a little on Easter. I ate a lot of Easter candy. I am not feeling too bad about it. I am about 5 pounds away from my original goal, but I have changed the goal to 5 pounds less so I have a little to go. 53 days until prom, 10 pounds to lose. I think I can do it.

And maybe even wear a two-peice this summer. [Big Grin]

Allegra
Member # 6773

I was just wondering how everyone else is doing.
TMedina
Member # 6649

Good job Alle!

-Trevor

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.