FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Weight-Loss Encouragement Thread (Page 9)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  14  15  16   
Author Topic: The Weight-Loss Encouragement Thread
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never minded doing laundry, it's putting it away that I always hated.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That's ok, Trev. *twinkle* I didn't invite you. [Wink]

Hobbes, I agree that putting it away is the worst part of laundry. But the sorting, lugging, transferring wet clothes to the dryer, etc. -- not so much fun either. [Razz]

Could be worse. Could involve a washboard, or a river and a big rock. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno - I always found putting laundry away to be kind of relaxing.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You're trying to get me to extend that invite, aren'cha? [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
You sort laundry? I've never sorted, including new, very colorful clothes. A couple of times some red bleeded onto a white shirt, but both times all traces disapeared in the dryer. [Dont Know] I kind of like it because it ties me down for a decent amount of time, so I feel more free to do something relaxing. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You're either very lucky or using cold water, Hobbes. I sort into light and dark. Once upon a time I used to sort perma press separately, because my then-spouse was convinced it made a difference to his shirts -- since I don't see the difference in mine or the kids' and no longer wash his, I don't do that anymore. I also used to do a separate chlorine-bleachable load, but now that I've switched to "oxygen" bleaches, I just include the whites with the lights and bleach the whole bunch -- but not the darks, since many react badly to the bleach.
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Not really - but it's exerting control in chaotic surroundings. Inflicting order, I suppose.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I enjoy order.

I pay a housekeeper once a week to exert it for me. [Wink] (Twice a week right now, since I'm trying to get packed to move.)

[desperate rerail] Once I move, I'll have access to a pool I can actually use. I'm hoping this will inspire me to get more exercise on a regular basis. [/desperate rerail]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everything Hobbes said about laundry.

Except sorting. >_<

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

I've been hovering for a while around size 38, but I'm going to renew my commitment right now, and not allow myself to gain any weight this holiday season.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you!

I am feeling the same way. I lost weight last year but I have gained some back. Now I am trying to stop gaining, and maybe even start losing.

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

*Whew*
I knew I had gained weight, and I thought it was around 20 pounds or so. I was wrong! Only about 10. 10 sounds way more doable then 20.

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I am also trying to avoid gaining weight this holiday season, especially after I have managed to lose 5 lbs in the last couple months.

I am also trying to exercise more.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I need encouragement. I pretty much stopped exercising regularly about 6 months ago when the place I was going changed their schedule. So even with no major change in diet I stopped losing and gained back enough that my wedding dress, which fit perfectly last fall, is now tight behind the shoulders. Not tight enough to look bad, but tight enough that it’s not perfectly comfortable. This is not acceptable.

I started on the treadmill this morning and I’m being much more conscious about drinking water rather than snacking. That should be enough, if I can be consistent with it for the next seven weeks. [Frown]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Walk!

Walk! Walk! Walk
(treadmills are boring)

You have a nice town -- get out and enjoy it.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I'll do it with you dk - I stopped excercizing for a while, and Christmas all that comes with it did horrible things to my diet and body.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
It's too cold this week for heavy outdoor exercise -- it kicks off my asthma. [Frown]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm participating in a weight-loss challenge. The YMCA in Fort Dodge has a challenge called "Lose Yourself at the YMCA." I'm writing about it for our newspaper. [Eek!]

And, I'm blogging .

So far, I've lost 9 pounds in three weeks. [Big Grin]

[ February 11, 2005, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: CaySedai ]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
You want morning reminder e-mails to walk? Might help guilt me into lifting...
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to be holding steady at the 5 lbs I lost in December - can't seem to lose more, though I may have lost inches, my clothes seem looser. [Smile]

[ February 11, 2005, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
This is just TOO weird.
I was upstairs, making bacon for a spinach slas, thinking about starting a 2005 WLET. (Weight loss Encouragement thread) Then I thought, well, I will just find the old one.
Five minutes later, here I am!

It is hard for me because i am home, and tend to munch. I go to rehab, which is basically wights, treadmill, and bike, fr two days, then Curves on the other days. Well, this week, anyway. Since I have been going every day, I feel a difference. I avoid the mirror, and just try to feel the strength building in my legs and arms. I will add a walk next week.

I have been have been trying to eat when I am hungry only, a new concept. (I think of third world countries often, and how people would look at me and say, "You nasty woman, I wish we could eat when we were hungry, and have it be a choice) Seriously, I am trying to be more conscious of that.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
That blog is a cool idea, CaySedai!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
So far I've lost 28lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Party]
Yeah for me!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
It's ok dkw - you could always do what I did.

Buy a new (bigger) wedding dress two days before the wedding! [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Could someone please remind me that losing 1-2 lbs a week is the healthy way to do it, even though I desparately want it to go faster? I've just got such a long way to go, and at 1-2 lbs a week...well, it's gonna be a while. [Frown]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Megan, I hear you. Don't rush it. Whenever I get into a "I need to lose weight by such-and-such date" mode, I usually hit the Ben and Jerry's within a day. And I mean the pint, not some dainty half-cup portion.
Be patient, exercise, and (this is from CT in another thread) eat food that is nutrition-dense. Stay away from fat free stuff, which is often filled with sugar.

When I have done Weight Watchers, I always gave myself these point-free items: salad dressing, and half and half.

I am not a big salad eater, and fat free dressing makes me gag. It's Ken's Italian, or no salad.

I love my morning coffee, and need it to have half-and-half.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
1.5 this week after a long stretch of not budging that followed a gain over the holidays. The doctor wants me to lose 50 total by September '05, I'm at about 14 right now. I know I can do it if I continue the downward trend. My own goal is to lose 75 total, which would put me back at where I was when I got pregnant with my oldest daughter (and I thought I was heavy at that time but now it's a reasonable weight and BMI to shoot for)
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I hear ya, Goody!

Oh for those pre-child days long ago when I thought I was overweight! Those days are many, many pounds away.

Megan
Member # 5290

quote:
Megan, I hear you. Don't rush it. Whenever I get into a "I need to lose weight by such-and-such date" mode, I usually hit the Ben and Jerry's within a day. And I mean the pint, not some dainty half-cup portion.
Yeah, this is totally me. I'm doing Weight Watchers, along with a friend who occasionally has what she calls "unfortunate peanut butter incidents." I have unfortunate chocolate incidents, despite the fact that weight watchers is really a relatively easy system to manage.

Part of the problem is I have so much weight to lose--enough that, when I reach my goal weight (I'm saying "when" because it isn't going to be if...I hope...), I will weigh exactly half of what I weight when I started. And, I'm just 19 pounds down now, which means I have quite a bit left to go. I'm losing between 1 and 2 (sometimes a bit more) a week, and I realize that's the good way to do it. It's just that I get these kind of thoughts:

"Ok, if I lose 2 pounds a week, then I'll be down to my goal in ...a YEAR!"

I've started working out every day, though (it's a routine now, which is what I really needed it to be), and that seems to be helping to at least keep the losses regular, if not overly large.

*sigh* I'm doing things like working out while cheering myself on in my head with, "Bikini! Size 6 clothing! Not getting diabetes! Yeah!"

Anyway, thanks for the encouraging words. [Smile]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm losing weight, too, and sometimes I wonder if it's a bit too fast. I'm losing between 3 and 4 pounds a week. Granted, I have a 30 min (excluding stretch/cooldown) cardio workout 6 days a week. I also have two weight sessions a week, though I think I am going to move up to three. Of course, I've been watching the calories as well. I aim for around 2000, but I'm not usually hungry enough to make it that far. Should I try harder to eat more?

My current concern is body fat content. I'm not really aiming for a target weight, but instead a target body fat percentage. Is that more reasonable? The problem is, my body fat appears not to budge. I've been stuck at 31-32% for a few weeks, and it's really starting to annoy me (because if it's accurate, I'm losing more lean weight each week than fat weight). I am wondering if perhaps I purchased a cheap body fat scale? Or maybe the BF scale isn't the best way to go?

My nightmare situation is that I'm doing something wrong, and I really am losing the lean mass.

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Swampjedi, do you work out at a gym? They often will do a body fat analysis which is pretty accurate.

Megan, hang in there, babe! You know, I tried the online point tracker for a while, and iot really helped. I need external tools. Sad, but true. If I could go to a boot camp, I would.

Edit: My "incidents" involve cheese, butter, and some form of bread.

[ February 19, 2005, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Elizabeth,

No gym, just my basement. Supposedly this scale is Consumer Reports' most accurate bathroom body fat analyzer - but as I don't have a CR subscription, I can't tell.

I hear that it takes forever to learn how to use the calipers correctly. Is this accurate? Is it worth the time and effort to try and learn?

Jeremy

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I don't really know, Jeremy. Maybe you are not eating enough calories. That seems like a lot to lose each week, without the weight loss tapering off at some point. Don't quote me, though. You might want to check with your doctor.
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Elizabeth, thanks for the input. In the past, I've lost weight like this at this point in my diet. That is, as I pass from Xlb to X-20lb, it seems to come off really quickly.

Might be best to see a doctor, anyways.

Jeremy

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Maybe it is just taking longer for your muscle building to catch up or something.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That blog is a cool idea, CaySedai!
Thanks, Farmgirl. I'm writing articles for the paper where I work, and referencing the blog in the articles. I'm getting positive comments from people I know and people on the street, which makes me feel good.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Oh for those pre-child days long ago when I thought I was overweight! Those days are many, many pounds away.
So very true.
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure when I last weighed myself. I think it might have been September. But my pants were loose all through this latest "cycle". It's not that I'm so emotionally healthy, we just don't have a scale at the house and I am lazy.

I'm not too impressed with bodyfat scales. They can also be thrown off by things like how hydrated you are and if you've eaten a lot of salt. Also, if you want to monitor bodyfat, you're probably best to do it once a month at most. That said, if you have someone to help you with it a good set of calipers is the most accurate method besides hydrostatic weighing. I forget how much we paid to get hydrostatically weighed when we finished Body for Life back in 2002. Maybe $30 each at the university.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Day one of newest of the newly new weight loss plans was a success!
I am doing the WW Core plan, which is basically a whole foods thing, and easy for me, as there are not too many restrictions I feel the need to rebel against. (except, of course, butter and cheese)

Megan
Member # 5290

Hey, good job! I don't have the self-control to do core; I would just eat myself silly.

I gained this week ( [Razz] )...not much, but enough that I feel the need to kick myself in the butt in working out this week.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

Back to running and serious weights for me.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I can't run yet! Ha ha. I hate running anyway. (It makes the weight fall off, though.)
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Tomorrow I start walking too and from work. I think I will also start keeping a food journal again.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I am going to Curves, and have been measured and body-fatted there. I am a lifetime member of WW-ha ha-so i will go and get the intro packet for the new Core Plan, and then just weigh in weekly at Curves to save money.
Allegra
Member # 6773

I still have those 10 pounds to lose. I know that I will always be a bigger person. I am 5'11"and have a very large bone structure. I will never be a size 6. My hip bones without muscle or fat on them would not fit into a size 6 pair of pants. I would really like to get at least 10 pounds off of me soon, and maybe another 10 or so by the time I head of to school in September.

I haven't eliminated anything from my diet. I have just made to decision *not* to eat when I am not hungry and to be moderate with portions. I am trying to be firm. I want to find a good way to excercise. I have a YMCA membership, but I have been unable to find a system I like. I found something several months ago, but it lost its appeal. I like swimming but I feel akward swimming laps at the Y. I am thinking of trying a class. Can anyone suggest a good one to try?

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
2 more pounds this past week. Tomorrow is the first of the month, which means my existing train and bus passes expire. So no more bus pass for me until October when the weather gets icky again (this is normal for me, I ride Oct through Feb, walk Mar through Sept with the bus available for cash fare if the weather warrants).

This coming weekend will be a bit of a test for me. I've got company spending the weekend and I know he wants to be lazy and piggy. LOL

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
A comment for those among us who have more than 20 or 30 pounds to lose. . . I find it works better if I set a goal of 20 or 30 pounds less than where I'm at at the moment. Because it's shorter term, it means that it's easier for me to see me getting through it and making it. It just seems much more doable. Plus if I eat very badly for a day or so, I'm less likely to beat myself up over it, and most of us know that emotional eating isn't good.

Basically, set yourself up for success by making the goal easier. Then, when you achieve that goal, you can take a break for a week or two before starting the next segment. It might make it easier.

Another comment - from what I've read, and from what I've been told by a few doctors, it's actually better - as in, healthier - to eat something every two or three hours. That way, your body doesn't think it's going into starvation mode and decrease metabolism. Snacking like this will actually increase metabolism. Yeah, nutritionally dense is best, of course, but still.

And not that I have a specific goal for losing weight right now, but I've lost 7 pounds in the last two weeks anyway. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Elizabeth, I can't run either (it causes me to have an asthma attack), but I find I can use an elliptical machine fairly easily to the same effect.

quidscibis, I think little goals are great...my problem is I keep hitting the wall just before 20lbs down. I've lost and gained that one pound 3 or 4 times now (very frustrating). If I can just hit that darn 20lb mark (this week, I hope), then I'll be feeling good.

mothertree
Member # 4999

I don't know about the mini meals thing. If you're a compulsive eater, it's possible to screw just about any plan up. When I was doing Body for Life, that is a six little meals thing and I was thinking all the time about when I could eat next.
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to fit into one of these by July 2nd.

<sigh> Let's just say, I've got a loooong way to go.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  14  15  16   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.