FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The REAL Battlestar Galactica Season 3 Discussion Thread (Page 19)

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22   
Author Topic: The REAL Battlestar Galactica Season 3 Discussion Thread
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was meant to show how on edge she was personally. I didn't think it had anything to do with her relationship to Roslin.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that her auditory hallucinations are wearing away at her, as they are at Tigh and Anders...
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Reply tonight at 11pm... I'll be sure to pay extra close attention this time.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe with all those screeners flying around not a single person has bothered to upload them to a torrent site. I take it as a personal slight. <sniff>
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
*sniffs Lisa*
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Ew. <Lisa shoos Tel away from her>
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

BASTARD!

I dont get on well with this guy at school, we've had a few arguments every now and then and just plain dont like eachother. Well today in class me and my friend were in the middle of a casual conversation when I said something about a certain 'Lost' twist *hint: they're related*. So the guy turns around, apparently he hadnt seen this episode and started screaming at me! I tried to explain that this wasnt even a big twist, that it wasnt even the cliffhanger. I told him I was sorry and to stop making a big deal out of it. Then he looks at me and says in one sentance the cliffhanger to BSG.

I completly lost it. I nearly killed him. Ive never been in a fight before but I reeeeeally wanted to beat this guy.

So now I know what happens. I had avoided spoilers for weeks and all I had to do was last four more days. And that bastard messed it up. Ugh...

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Damien.m:
[Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

BASTARD!

I dont get on well with this guy at school, we've had a few arguments every now and then and just plain dont like eachother. Well today in class me and my friend were in the middle of a casual conversation when I said something about a certain 'Lost' twist *hint: they're related*. So the guy turns around, apparently he hadnt seen this episode and started screaming at me! I tried to explain that this wasnt even a big twist, that it wasnt even the cliffhanger. I told him I was sorry and to stop making a big deal out of it. Then he looks at me and says in one sentance the cliffhanger to BSG.

I completly lost it. I nearly killed him. Ive never been in a fight before but I reeeeeally wanted to beat this guy.

So now I know what happens. I had avoided spoilers for weeks and all I had to do was last four more days. And that bastard messed it up. Ugh...

Ooooh, SPOILER FIGHT!
I'm considering starting that thread now, thanks.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
KIll him, Kill him now, Ill be you alleby.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
I love how they're fracking with us.

The biggest spoiler... damn, I hate that it's happening so soon, but I suspected it'd happen sooner or later as soon as the story arc began. I wish theyd taken longer about it, though.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate the fact that they're gonna leave us with such a bloody huge cliffhanger...
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

I know, that too.

But is it really going to be any bigger than last season's "humanity has lost. The cylons have won. Game over." cliffhanger?

Hmm. Maybe. I mean, this IS a pretty damn big series of events.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Stop.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, please. It was bad enough when someone said, "Whatever you do, don't read the spoilers at AICN," but it's far worse that you seem tempted to dangle those spoilers in our faces.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, at least I stopped there. [Smile]

---

I still have major love for Romo.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Breaking news: Season 4 may well be the end of BSG, stemming from the rumor that if SciFi ordered more than 13 hours/episodes, the caveat would be that the show would have to end.

The order has been extended: Story here. Is this the end?

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Gods damn, it's like Babylon 5 cancellation fears all over again...
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
I get the sense that many people would like BSG to go on indefinitely, but I think that the very structure of the series makes this a horrible idea. Sacrilege though it may sound, I almost hope that they do end the show after next season. Not cancel, mind you, but bring the show to it's natural end. I hope that the writers are given ample time to tie up loose ends and bring it all to an awesome and enlightening conclusion. BSG is a great show, but it as a series based on the search for Earth and the salvation of humanity it becomes meaningless if they never end up finding Earth and saving humanity.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I'd like five seasons, but I can see the series ending with the fourth. Ron Moore has said that while he doesn't have the ending as planned out as JMS did with Bab5, he does have an outline as well as knowing that time it is on Earth when the Fleet arrives (or doesn't).
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

5 seasons, it HAS to last at least 5 seasons. Babylon sure the story WAS over at season 4 but nonetheless Babylon 5 without season 5 wouldve made me sad, season 5 is what tied all the loose ends and ended it satisfactory. Also there was the tonne of movies that JMS had the rights to so kept getting made.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
(minor bab5 spoilers)

I would have liked bab5 to have been able to stretch season 4 into season 5 so we didn't spend so much time with the goofy tele-goths. They ruined season 5. And I'm still pissed at Claudia for not returning so she could persue her movie career. (WHAT movie career?) I didn't like lochley, the woman who replaced her.

(end bab5 spoilers)

Anyway, I want BSG to tie up one way or the other. I don't want it to run forever. A *good* story has an ending.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Man, oh man, I can see how it oculd end in season 4. I mean... oh never mind.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I've been trying to imagine what the huge cliffhanger will be. I've not read any spoilers but I assume that 5 of our characters will be revealed as Cylons. But from what I've heard even that is nothing to what really happens.

Maybe they destroy Galactica?
Maybe they find Starbuck?
Maybe the Lords of Kobol/Cylon God are shown?
Maybe they find Earth!

Arrggg... all this waiting... killing me!
I love it!
[Monkeys]

Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
If they destroy Galactica, they'll have to change the name of the show. You can't watch Battlestar Galactica when there is no Battlestar Galactica in the show.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be okay with the series ending after four seasons.

I mean, I love the show and want to continue to love it, forever. The likelihood of that decreases the longer the show tries to spin its story out. Quality inevitably drops over time. A lot of my favourite shows did not go on for more than four or five years. It could be a cultural thing, though. In Britain, most seasons of tv shows only have about six episodes, so four years is equivalent of one American season of 24 eps.

And then, as a veteran X-Files fan, (as an example of When Good Shows Go Bad, look no further) my attitude is - tell the story you want to tell in the least amount of episodes possible.

And don't go on for nearly ten years while you give the main characters a character transplant, kill the comic relief and then reward my loyalty by giving me a cop-out ending.

*Is still bitter*

I don't want to ever be bitter about Battlestar.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Prison Break isn't about breaking out of prison anymore. Jes' sayin'.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Telperion:

Why does it have to be just one of those choices?

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Honestly, Adama is revealed to be the Son of God, therefor, Apollo is revealed to be the Grandson of God, humans are revealed to be able to breath in space, and they discover, before it blows up, that Galactica has its own soul, D'Anna takes it over and blows it up.

Also, Ewoks destroy the Cylons with starships made out of giant living trees. Then Mark Hamill shows up as an aged Luke Skywalker. Then Dirk Benedict appears, proclaims to be God, and says to Adama "Bill... I am your father!"

ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

- posted      Profile for ReddwarfVII           Edit/Delete Post 
Let it end I say, just complete the story first! Everything has to end sometime. That is the problem about television in the first place. Keeping people employed is more important than the story. That's movies will always be more successful because (ideally) you have begin with an end in mind. I would love to more show like BSG where the production staff have plotted out the story arch and then produce television episodes that tell that story.
Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

needs 5 seasons, 4 to get to earth and 5 to finish off the cylons and allow colonials to integrate into earth society.
Steve_G
Member # 10101

- posted      Profile for Steve_G   Email Steve_G         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
needs 5 seasons, 4 to get to earth and 5 to finish off the cylons and allow colonials to integrate into earth society.

Shouldn't be too hard to integrate since they already wear neckties and drive trucks and hummers.
They might have a hard time getting used to using our cordless phones and paper with 90 degree corners though. [Smile]

Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Well, the main problem with integration depends on the time period.

I hope he does it in modern time.

I know they screwed it up with Galactica '80, but wouldn't it be justice to see these guys do it right? That would be, like, the crown jewel of the series I think, taking the crappiest part and turning it into the best.

Anyway, the problem would be that most of these people would be instant celebrities.

"You're of the Rag-Tag Fleet?! Wow!"

Anyone with any skills not replicated in our society would be of the highest value as instructors. That includes anyone who knwos anything about how to build said technology, how to work it, how to find and refine tylium - basically, the knuckledraggers would be some of the most highly sought after people in the universe, to teach us how to build these things.

Politicians like Tory and Roslin, except for their political power over the Colonials, would be worthless because, of course, we have PLENTY of politicians. We don't have plenty of guys who can actually build a space-superiority fighter like Tyrol and crew did in season 2.

It'd be an great shift, to see the knuckledraggers be the most highly valued.

Of course, the general remnants of the Colonial would be close behind in importance, as they know a lot too, and have graet knowledge probably.

The rest of them? Probably fame for just being Colonials. And useful to tell us anythin they know about Colonial life.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Such technology would obviously be shared wiht the other major powers depending on how big a threat the Cylons still are. In Actuality, Im not sure if they could integrate, like why not remain their own nation? We have plenty of experiance in creating nations, why not one more.

Although I MUST point out that space suporiority fighters do not seem to hard to build, the only reaosn why we dont build them because why would we? Also the matter of the militerization of space being illegal under international law (might change if cyclons come a calling...) All it is, is a fighter sealed up and with a couple of additional thrusters for newtonian maneuvering. Not too big of a leap forward from the JSF, Su-47, Mig 1.44 and Jian-13.

Alcon
Member # 6645

quote:
Although I MUST point out that space suporiority fighters do not seem to hard to build, the only reaosn why we dont build them because why would we?
Blayne, take some physics and engineering classes.

Please, please, please, please take some physics and engineering classes. The amount you live in a fantasy world about this stuff is killing me! Honestly, you sound like some of my friends and I did when we were in elementary school!

Battlestar Galactica might be the most realistic space sci-fi show I've ever seen, but it's still so far from reality it ain't even funny.

Their artificial gravity, FTL, and the amount of energy they get from tilium are all just sorta glossed over and all impossible even in highly, highly theoretical physics. There is no existing or theorized fuel that gives that much thrust for that period of time for that clearly small mass. Not even anti=matter!

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
quote:
Although I MUST point out that space suporiority fighters do not seem to hard to build, the only reaosn why we dont build them because why would we?
Blayne, take some physics and engineering classes.

Please, please, please, please take some physics and engineering classes. The amount you live in a fantasy world about this stuff is killing me! Honestly, you sound like some of my friends and I did when we were in elementary school!

Battlestar Galactica might be the most realistic space sci-fi show I've ever seen, but it's still so far from reality it ain't even funny.

Their artificial gravity, FTL, and the amount of energy they get from tilium are all just sorta glossed over and all impossible even in highly, highly theoretical physics. There is no existing or theorized fuel that gives that much thrust for that period of time for that clearly small mass. Not even anti=matter!

Alcon, while I agree with you in spirit, chill out man. Blayne was talking spefically about fighters and besides we already hashed this whole thing out pages ago on this thread.

I agree with you when it comes to the really advanced stuff like FTL, anti-grav and etc, but I do disagree with you on the fighter. With a little more advanced knowledge and training, we really are not that far away from BSG in that area. And you know what? If it weren't for the aforementioned treaties I would realistically wager that we would already have fighter planes with both in atmosphere and out of atmosphere ability. I think that they would still be prototypes, but we would have them.

Actually.....who says that we don't already? I would not doubt that someone somewhere is working on a design right now. [Eek!] [Wink] We already had/have spy plane that fly in the upper areas of the atmosphere. The last I read the biggest roadblock was engines that could work in both environments. Solve that problem (mind you, it's a BIG! problem) and there you go. Modern fighter plane already reach speeds that would allow them to reach an escape velocity, even going straight up like the shuttle does.

[ March 23, 2007, 05:43 AM: Message edited by: ReddwarfVII ]

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
HUGE SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Want to know the identities of The Final Five?

SyFy Portal has revealed some major spoilers for the Season 3 finale of "Battlestar Galactica."

If you can't wait for Sunday, check out www.SyFyPortal. com (top story).
http://www.syfyportal.com/news423442.html

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, this only means the first four BELIEVE they are the Final Five... they be something totally different (Lords of Light?).... who knows?
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Damn you Jay... damn you to hell!
must. not. click. on. link.

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ReddwarfVII:
I do disagree with you on the fighter. With a little more advanced knowledge and training, we really are not that far away from BSG in that area. And you know what? If it weren't for the aforementioned treaties I would realistically wager that we would already have fighter planes with both in atmosphere and out of atmosphere ability. I think that they would still be prototypes, but we would have them.

Actually.....who says that we don't already? I would not doubt that someone somewhere is working on a design right now. [Eek!] [Wink] We already had/have spy plane that fly in the upper areas of the atmosphere. The last I read the biggest roadblock was engines that could work in both environments. Solve that problem (mind you, it's a BIG! problem) and there you go. Modern fighter plane already reach speeds that would allow them to reach an escape velocity, even going straight up like the shuttle does.

wow... no. I just want to clear this up: While we are certainly nearer to the fighter technology than FTL and other technologies out there it is still in the realm of physical impossibility (at least on any concievable near-term scale).

1) Atmospheric flight... with very small unmanned, very experimental craft we can get in the low hypersonic range (<mach 10) while low earth orbital velocity is about >mach25... so no we do not have fighters that can go fast enough to escape earth's gravity. On top of that we only have 2 planes at the moment that can accelerate straight up (the F15 and the B1B) and neither very fast or very long (a few seconds at most)

2) Rocket flight is needed for anything out of the atmosphere and if factors of magnitude less efficient than air-breathing propulsion. Rocket-propelled craft to leave earth's gravity have to be 85%+ propellant (your fuel tank would be 5-6x as massive as your craft, and would probably be much larger in volume (since propellant is a lot less dense than the structure of a craft) I suggest you go down to cape canaveral and walk down the length of the saturn 5 to see how big a rocket it took to get to the moon.

3) yes, we obviously have manned space flight, and there are even plans in work for manned military craft that would do short stints in orbit but the important thing to note about these is:
a) they still require massive rockets to launch them up to orbit
b) they have little-no maneuvering capabilities while in orbit
c) they certainly would not be able to dip into the admosphere and go back out
d) they would almost certainly not be able to carry much/anything in the way of armaments.

also note that all the comments about rocket technology are based on us already being quite near the physical limit of how efficient these systems can be. This is not the kind of thing that can be revolutionized with some new technology. Liquid Hydrogen/Liquid Oxygen is about the most efficient fuel combination in existence, and we are already pushing what you can phyiscally extract from that chemical composition (and we were doing pretty well with it even back in the days of the Saturn 5)

most people that haven't studied this stuff specifically really don't know how to grasp the scale of spaceflight which is factors of magnitude from basically all your frames of reference in terms of terrestrial technology.

I'll admit that a lot of what I like about BSG is the grittyness and "reality" of the technology and the like, but as Alcon mentioned, it is definately based on a handful of issues which are physical impossibilities, but we just have to suspend our disbelief for.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Finale in 5 hours 11 minutes and counting!!!
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
And several months of waiting for closure after the cliffhanger ending in 6 hours 7 minutes and counting.

[Wink]

[ March 25, 2007, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Friday ]

Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I don't get to watch it until tomorrow morning. Which means I'll be avoiding this thread like the plague until then.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
We will email you....

just kidding. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

I have spoiled myself to death on this one so I already know what is going to happen.

However, reading what is going to happen is nowhere near as cool as actually watching it happen.

That said, since I too won't get to watch it until tomorrow morning, I still will be avoiding this thread like the plague.

Oh and Grim? Don't think that I have forgotten about you. I just haven't had time to prepare a response yet. But I have one..oh I have one!!! [Evil Laugh]

Carrie
Member # 394

The hotel at which I'm staying right now doesn't have SciFi - they have HBO, so my roommate was glad to see the end of "Rome," but I'm dying! BOO!
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Great episode...but we have to wait til 2008 for the next episode [Embarrassed]
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter
Member # 4373

- posted      Profile for Peter   Email Peter         Edit/Delete Post 
2008?!? aw....... this makes me sad inside. Fantastic episode, but...... a year?!
Posts: 283 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dav
Member # 8217

- posted      Profile for Dav           Edit/Delete Post 
Does this mean Bob Dylan is a Cylon?
Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
*confused*
*dreading the wait*

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michiel
Member # 7649

- posted      Profile for Michiel   Email Michiel         Edit/Delete Post 
Gods, that was terrible. Incredibly weak finale to by far the weakest season so far.
Posts: 64 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.