FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Battlestar Galactica Season 2 discussion thread (Page 3)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica Season 2 discussion thread
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this cliffhanger was far better than last seasons (although I am not sure what a season means on cable). Probably said this before, but I think this season ROCKED compared to the last one. In fact, this season seemed to be about the extremes of humanity in each individual. For every horrible thing a character did there was an equally saving grace. I can think of only one character who hasn't been redeamed and vilified: the minipulative wife of Conl. Tye.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny. as. *&#@! [Big Grin]

Battlestar! "Thank the Gods it's only genocide!"

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
It will be coming back to finish the season in a couple months. Sci/Fi is goofy about the way they stop in the middle of a season.

Jamie: I think it was real. Depending on what really is going on in baltar's head, it can be two things. 1: She really is horrified at what they have done to her. 2: Baltar really is just crazy, and thinks that she is really horrified.

I think anyone that had multiple selves would freak out if they saw that. Again, Life is Life, no matter the presentation.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for Khavanon   Email Khavanon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Damn, that was a good finale. Maybe a little too manipulative, though. I mean, they kinda went out of their way to make most of the characters from the Pegasus absolute jerks.
It's not uncommon for military units to behave differently from others, mostly due to their chain of command, how they choose to run their units, what is "good for morale," what is not to be tolerated. Having been in three different military atmospheres, I can tell you there were very distinct ways in which things were run between them, and the attitude and morale in each varied quite a bit.

quote:
...and yeah, so Pegasus folk are sleazy.

Cain chooses to magnify Cylon hatred. While Adama and Roslin insist on refering to them as "things," and will occasionally blow them out the airlock, not to mention Starbuck's torture session with Leobon, they didn't come near to the gruesomeness that Lt. Thorne was permitted to inflict. Atrocities are easy to encourage to people who've lost their homes, families, everything, especially when those in power are permitting it.

quote:
Some thoughts: I really hope that that guy from Peg who took a look at the Blackbird didn't do something to its insides. And I'm hoping they'll think twice before firing on their own.

That's an interesting thought. If Cain was so insistant that her way was going to be enforced that she didn't trust them, and sabotaged them with faulty equipment and messed with their ship. That would be looney, but it makes me think off the topic that she might not have any interest in this civilian government (by the way things are run) and a take over could have been imminent anyway (Martial Law Part 2).

quote:
hmm, another ship from the old show. I hope the episode involving it doesn't work the same way, though...
Except the old ship is the newer "high class" version this time.

My two cents on these debates:

quote:
Blasting each other to smithereens:

This is the stuff of third world nations, which with all due respect to our beloved Galactica and fleet, is very close at hand. Before the Pegasus, things were desperate, but not totally uncivilized thanks to the good people in charge. Cain tried to impliment her way too firmly, too quickly, and now she's facing the consequences of that.

quote:
Instigate a mutiny
I think Cain would be wise to what's going on before that happens. There's no doubt that she's made her command something she can manipulate through either loyalty or fear. She's more than just a commander. She's a dictator.

quote:
Have the president remove her from authority:

I don't think that would succeed. Even if she decided not to destroy the Galactica, she wouldn't leave her ship.

quote:
Cripple the Pegasus:

Too great of an asset to lose, unless the Pegasus insists on destroying another ship. I don't think they want to attack each other's battlestars, only prevent the marine assault from happening.

quote:
Get their men, and get out
Easier said than done. I think the odds of them being able to get their men with what marines they have left are very slim. I wonder what they'll decide to go with.

quote:
If the Cylons knew that Dr. Baltar loved Six, and that he had a “fundamental change”, would they be willing to destroy all of humanity? “They have a plan.” Is it to bring humans into the love of their god? Are they trying to get a Cylon and human to love and procreate to symbolize the union between child and parent?
I think one thing is certain. Before it's over, Baltar will be discovered at some point. Even if he turns to the side of humanity, I think the writers have to do a story arc on his guilt. Whether or not he'll remain a blithering coward will probably dictate his fate. It's hard to say what the Cylons really are up to. It seems like the BSG fleet has been really fortunate so far. The Cylons might be having difficulty reproducing. I think that was the issue they were discussing earlier in the season. They might need humans to make that happen.

quote:
Is Galactica Boomer on her own agenda, much like Baltar is on his? ... Was Boomer's saving the ship from the virus manipulation to get into the good graces of the Galactica or part of her own agenda and saving her own ass?

I would be disappointed if this Sharon weren't a good guy, especially after this episode. Although her defection should be suspicious enough to Adama seeing as how the last Sharon betrayed him, and since no other Cylon has proven to be trustworthy. Was she angered at her treatment by the other Cylons, or is her model inherently sympathetic to humans as the original Sharon consciously loved her friends? Maybe as she inherited the memories of the previous Sharon, she was more reinforced by those things. I'm more concerned by the actions of Mrs. Tigh than I am by Sharon.

quote:
Was Six's reaction to her corporeal body manipulative or real?
I think Six has had some fanatical reactions over the series, but I think this one is genuine. She seems to be quite proud of her own model, while despising Sharon's.

quote:
I think it was real. Depending on what really is going on in baltar's head, it can be two things. 1: She really is horrified at what they have done to her. 2: Baltar really is just crazy, and thinks that she is really horrified.

I really think she's traumatized. If not, we'll probably know by the end of the next episoode (in January *whimpers*). I think the Cylons have less to fear in some ways since their existance is different than humans. Since they are trying to reproduce, and it seems that they're able to feel pain, I'm betting that she's been thouroughly messed up. Good set up for the Sharon incident, which in turn became an even better set up for Balter's last moments with her before the end of the episode.

I'm very impressed with how this show has come along. I think it's the best series I have ever seen. I can't think of another show I'd rather watch.

Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm very impressed with how this show has come along. I think it's the best series I have ever seen. I can't think of another show I'd rather watch."

I would rather be watching new episodes of Farscape. However, if the writing remains as good as it has this recent season I will put them on equal footing. I fully admit that Farscape is much more cartoonish, but I cared for the characters more than BSG.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Again, Life is Life, no matter the presentation.
Except that a Human life is more important than a dog or a cat. And the survival of the Human race is more important to US than to another species. The Cylons are not Human. They are trying to destroy us. Therefore Human life is more important than Cylon to Humans. And Cylon life is more important to Cylons than Human life.

And not only that, but since Humanity is now 99.9999% destroyed the remaining Humans are all the more precious. It's not Humans trying to oppress Cylons...it's Cylons trying to wipe out Humanity.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

Cats and dogs are not on the same level of 'independance' as Humans and Cylons.

Why are Cylons not just as important as Humans?

Just because someone wants me dead doesn't make my life or theirs any less or more important from a general point of view.

Are you saying war is a reason to reassign the value of life?

I tend to think that if they were able to overcome their differences, and work together, they would become more powerful than you can imagine. If everyone does what is best for everyone, everyone wins.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Except that since we are Human then what is good for Humanity is Goodness. And also Humanity has the moral highgroud right now. How does 50 billion murders equal one rape?
raventh1
Member # 3750

It isn't about equality, more than it's about the realization of an equality.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

During peacetime sure... Cylons and Humans are now equal. But now that the Cylons are on a genocidal rampage against Mankind, that changes things. It can no longer be equal...it can only be Humans on top. And one of the reasons I say that is because I am a human...not a god or some omnipresent moral spirit that can judge. There is a threat against me and all my kind. That is Evil incarnate. So that Evil must be fought against or we die out and nothing of our works or thoughts remain.

By the act of genocide the Cylons have become less than us. They are nothing but the Enemy.

raventh1
Member # 3750

Because, how can they end a war they can't win? I honestly think kindness will have something to do with it.

They can report back rather easily.

Internal struggle over a Cylon's health and wellbeing would prove rather moving I think, even to the Cylons.

Khavanon
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for Khavanon   Email Khavanon         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever the grand plan of the Cylons is, I don't think their motivation was due to "misunderstanding" humans. Roslin already had a talk with Leobon about a possible misunderstanding. I think the direction the humans are going right now is probably the wisest of all. All they can do is disappear completely from the Cylon radar, hopefully find Earth (and maybe billions of modern humans) and put themselves in the position of defending themselves from future Cylon incursions, or invent a way outside convetional warfare to stop them.
Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Here is another BSG funny...
raventh1
Member # 3750

It all comes down to Sharon, and wether or not she's been playing everyone the whole time. If she really is doing what is in her best interest, well Cylons aren't as together as we previously thought. At least not with the new models.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I just bought BSG First Season on dvd! Yay!
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

raventh1...I'll get back to our debate soon...I'm busy having a drink and watching my new dvd's. [Smile]
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so desperately in love with this show. I managed to convince my mother she wanted to buy season 1 for me when I was home, so I think I'm going to be watching that on continuous loop (except on the weekends) until January.

I saw the mid-season cliffhanger last night, as I was out of town Friday. I was quite literally on the edge of my seat the entire hour and two minutes, one hand over my mouth, the other pounding the couch beside me when anything would happen.

quote:
I'm more concerned by the actions of Mrs. Tigh than I am by Sharon.
Word McWord! I do not understand her.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

While people were all geared up for "Commander in Cheif" having the first woman President on TV, the Boston Herald did it's homework.

quote:
``Commander in Chief'' isn't the TV breakthrough ABC might have you believe.

Another TV female president has been shepherding humanity through its darkest hours. Like ``Commander's'' Allen, President Laura Roslin (Mary McDonnell) assumed the reins in tragic circumstances - the 40 or so officials ahead of this Secretary of Education were massacred by the Cylons in the 2003 miniseries that launched Sci Fi's successful ``Battlestar Galactica.''

Roslin has battled political intrigue, quarreled with the military's leader (Edward James Olmos) and struggled with breast cancer as she tries to keep 48,000 survivors alive.

Her mission makes Allen's look like a temp job at a call center.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Her mission makes Allen's look like a temp job at a call center.
*snort*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I need Galactica... [Frown] I can't wait till January!
Carrie
Member # 394

I've been watching Season 1 and cursing SciFi for kicking BSG off their schedules until some mini-marathon in January. Jerks! Don't they realize we're hooked?
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Season Two for sale this Christmas!!! Yay!!
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you realize you can get BSG episodes on iTunes now?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

[Smile] That too.
mackillian
Member # 586

This show gives me the chills, man, the chills.
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

- posted      Profile for Chreese Sroup           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, Season 2 doesn't finish until after christmas. How is that possible?
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

It's the first half of the season. I won't be purchasing until I can get the entire season. [Smile]

Two marathons: one on the 20th, the other on the 5th (I think)! Set your VCRs, so you don't have to spend money!

mackillian
Member # 586

The first half of the season will be on DVD on December 20th. [Smile]

...not that I've got it pre-ordered or anything. Nothing like that at all.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Just 5 more days....
*bounces in seat*

Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
In case anyone's curious, here's the schedule for January. Starts Jan 6.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

*runs in circles*
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen all the epidosdes yet and I haven't read anyhting here yet, but i'll state this:

BSG is the BEST and MOST WELL DONE scifi on TV!

Its the reincarnation of babylon 5.

And also im now horrilbly confused on who that blond b**ch in dr. Baltar's head is.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

So is Dr. Baltar. [Wink]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

k just finished Pegasus. and ya... Im disturbed, he bloody tried to rape Sharon, that fraker deserved what he got.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know. Stupid cliffhangers!
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
During peacetime sure... Cylons and Humans are now equal. But now that the Cylons are on a genocidal rampage against Mankind, that changes things. It can no longer be equal...it can only be Humans on top. And one of the reasons I say that is because I am a human...not a god or some omnipresent moral spirit that can judge. There is a threat against me and all my kind. That is Evil incarnate. So that Evil must be fought against or we die out and nothing of our works or thoughts remain.

By the act of genocide the Cylons have become less than us. They are nothing but the Enemy.

Amen, why does this remind me of Ender's Game? Are we going to obliterate them and feel sorry for our actions or will they eventually feel sorry for us?
Carrie
Member # 394

I've moved beyond depressed withdrawl into severely frustrated and twitching withdrawl whenever BSG comes up.

22 days. I can totally make it through 22 days.

Right?

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I'm with you Carrie...
we can make it..

right?
RIGHT?!!

*twiches*

And yeah Blayne, it does remind you/me of Ender's Game.

Unless there is a huge miracle, Humanity will never wipe out the Cylons. We are too few and too weak. So unless the Cylons make a big blunder, or some Lord of Kobol shows up and wups @$$, or the Colonial get to Earth and Earth wups the Cylons, or if the Fleet escapes the Cylons forever... then Humanity is toast.

But either way... I think there should be mourning if any race becomes extinct... because no matter what they were they were aware and alive and had built beautiful things. They were a unique piece of the Universe that will never be repeated.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I'm happy and ticked off all at once.

I finally have the first half of Season Two in my hands. [The Wave]
But, the unedited "Pegasus" episode is nowhere in here! Those lying, milking Sci-Fi Channel bastards! They said the special half hour longer version of Pegasus was supposed to be in here. [Mad] Now I have to go out and buy the Second Season all over again just to get this stupid thing.
Grrrr.... [Wall Bash]

Oh well.

[Smile]

mackillian
Member # 586

They couldn't get the unedited version of Pegasus done in time for the pre-Christmas release of 2.0 The good news is that you won't have to buy the ENTIRE second season, just the second half of the DVD set. You'll notice there's only half a picture on the spine of 2.0. [Razz]
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Oooo... thanks for the good news Mack! [Big Grin]
mackillian
Member # 586

Speaking of Pegasus, I just wanted to say, I hate Admiral Caine.

Hate.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I'm certain had the colonies NOT have been wiped out and the war proceeded normally she would've been a first rate flag officer and probly more restrained and less stressed out by the war. Personally, I hope she and the Pegasus live on and we get to learn more about her and hopefully she becomes a normal and not a psyco person protecting whats left of humanity.

If not then I hope she dies a horrible horrible death.

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
*spoilers*
I just watched EP8 of the second season (the Lucy Lawless one). W00t! that I am almost caught up. Anyway, I must be their ideal fan. I get so engrossed in the show that I never see the plot twists coming. I had no idea how the two halves of the fleet would rejoin or that the hottie journalist would be a cylon.

If they take their cues from the original series, the Pegasus will be destroyed (or stay behind to allow the fleet to escape) with Galactica picking up the Peg's vipers to replenish their numbers.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
There was an unedited version of Pegasus? [Frown] Is it on iTunes? I'd buy the episode to see it.

I'm rather hoping they'll have each ep of the remainder of the season available for purchase on iTunes shortly after it airs. I don't have cable, nor do I care to get it. But I'm not sure I want to wait MONTHS for the DVDs to see the rest.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
My dad's computer now has iTunes, but I can't log in using my AOL sn(yes, I have an AOL sn). It keeps telling me that the iTunes music store isn't available in the country I specified (the USA?!)

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't think Sharon has her own agenda, least... I hope she doesn't cause she's one of my favorite characters. One of the things that keeps frustrating me about the crew is there insistance on refering to the new biological cylon models as machines and things and not recogniseing them as people.

All we are is biological machines. What does it matter if they were made by human's/themselves genetically engineered instead of evolving over millions of years? They still think, they still feel. The difference between emotions and software... emotions are just biological software, chemicals that sit in receptors in the brain. For all practical intents and purposes, the biological model Sharon is human. A superpowered human yes, but... :/

The other models I'm not so sure about, they don't seem to have the emotional range that Sharon does... But they all have some of it, Sharon's the only one who really lets it go and lets it show. The others seem to be trying to hide their emotional tendancies as much as possible.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

With Sharon, it's like she hates the fact that she's a Cylon and desperately wishes she were just human.
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Two days and counting till the new episodes start!!

[Party]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
We are all caught up on BSG! We can't get the Sci-fi channel, so we can't watch the next one with y'all, but we will download it ASAP. [Evil]

I am in love with this show. I can't remember being more touched by a TV show than when Commander Adama swallowed his pride and forgave the "rebellion" in order to reunite the fleet. Something you could *never* imagine coming from the Pegasus crew. (I really like what Amancer said about it.) While the crew we have been following has been deepening in humanity, it seems that the Pegasus crew has been losing their humanity--becoming more and more mechanical and cold. Like robots....

But when they were able to open the tomb of Athena, it was like they were truly worthy of the information because of their unity and love for each other. Such a beautiful thing....

I love Sharon. I hope she is sincere in her help of the human side. I still know too little about the Cylon motivations to know if any sort of reconcilliation is possible. Why *do* they want to destroy all humans so badly? And does anyone else get the feeling that if that was all they wanted they would've succeeded already?

As for the angel/devil no. 6 who claims to be an emmissary of God, yet responds very Cylonesque to seeing a copy of herself abused, could she be the consciousness of the Cylon accidentally (or purposefully) downloaded into Baltar's brain instead of another no. 6 body? Could Dr. Baltar be a Cylon himself, and therefore capable of that download? We only know of 6 out of 12 copies you know. And it isn't like Boomer knew she was Cylon or even wanted to be. Remember Baltar asking no. 6 why she speaks to him as though he is not one of the humans? How she tells him he is different and special?

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.