FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Battlestar Galactica Season 2 discussion thread (Page 6)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica Season 2 discussion thread
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
*eyes cross* I am not sure what Blayne's post is saying, sorry.

In any case, why wouldn't each copy have a different soul? Like identical twins have their own souls.

Didn't one of the Six's say that the Sharons are often weak?

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Than obvyously wee half a failure 2 communicate h3re, wut eye said was goodly intelligible and smart seeming, so there.

*edit to add spelling errors, sorry folks I wasn't paying attention [Frown] *

[ January 21, 2006, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, you forgot to misspell anything in that post. You might want to edit. [Wink]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
mph, I'm not exactly sure what I'm saying yet.

and holy frack, Roslin's got balls!

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
another great episode tonight. the way they kept Roslin alive was an absolute stroke of genius. fantastic, just fantastic. one of the greatest shows of all time
Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
At first, I didn't recognize what was in the case at the end of last night's episode. Then I remembered what was mentioned, and I was like "Oh man, he wouldn't give them that, would he?!" Sure enough though, he did.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'm not utterly sure I buy Baltar's turnaround though. I mean, yes, I understand the hurt and humiliation that he feels at Roslin's letter, and I'm well aware of the impact that that kind of thing can have on a person. It's a bit like when Gollum is accused of lying when he's actually telling the truth, or instances in which Calvin (in the Alvin Maker series) actually does good and is met with suspicion by Alvin. I just don't quite buy his giving Gina that device. Seems like a bit too much, somehow.

Anyone else curious about other, as yet undiscovered effects that the fetus' blood may have in Roslin?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

The promotion to Admiral was great, was Adama ever promoted in the original BSG? Also it gives him the authority to deal with the Pegasus commander should he cause problems.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

It also allowed Adama to correct the things done by the Admiral, by moving Starbuck and Apollo back to Galactica and reinstating Apollo as Galactica's CAG (or whatever). It made sense.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not utterly sure I buy Baltar's turnaround though.
It's not much of a turnaround. Except for the actions in this lone episode, he's been an enemy of the human forces from the beginning, and this action is not out of character.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Baltar is the enemy of the human forces...he is just strictly pro-Baltar. He is smart enough to realize that if the humans die, he dies with them. He acted out of pure self-preservation. He didn't save Laura because he liked her or thought she should live. He saved her because he didn't feel he had the stuff to be President (or didn't want to be bothered by being President). He patted himself on the back but Laura's letter told him the exact reasons he does things and he hated that she knew that. He has acted in ways that have benefited humans as well as Cylons with little regard for their consequences as long as he is still standing when the dust clears.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems he and Boomer are a lot alike.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't think Baltar is the enemy of the human forces...he is just strictly pro-Baltar.
I think he is both.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

On a non-season 2 note, I passed the Battlestar Galactica Season 1 DVD set while shopping for groceries at Wal-Mart. I was quite tempted to pick it up, but I couldn't justify the $45 purchase. That's me for you though. [Big Grin]
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I should gather up my courage and start watching this show again...
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Try to get your hands on the mini-series. Once you watch that, you won't be able to resist it anymore. [Smile]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Try to get your hands on the mini-series. Once you watch that, you won't be able to resist it anymore. [Smile]
Noemon
Member # 1115

I saw the miniseries after I'd seen the first season, and while I expected to be blown away by it, it didn't do all that much for me. I'd second Porter's suggestion that you start there (because, you know, that's the beginning of the story and all), but I'd add that if it doesn't leave you hopelessly addicted it's still worth your while to watch the first season.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I've seen the miniseries and all of the first season, but I had to stop because I found the intensity of the show overwhelming. I really think it's an excellent show, but I tend to get involved a little too much in on screen things and if they are as horrible and as frightening as BSG, I have to take a break!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I guess you did say "again", didn't you? I missed that.

Yeah, it definitely is an intense show. I've rarely had a show manage to keep me on the edge of my seat so consistently.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Well I've caught up on all of season 2 (and got a synopsis of the miniseries and season 1) thanks to Amanecer. So it's not like I'm not hooked already.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Baltar pissed me off giving a nuke to Gina. I'm glad the Cylon baby is ok. The whole peace movement is interesting, but what can 1 nuke do? All they could hope for is to put it on galactica but that would only insure their destruction.
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
They were actually losing me the first season because I thought the show was becoming more exhibitionist than interesting. However, they redeamed themself in the second season and I am hooked by all the potentials.

I don't think even Baltar knows Blayne. He has been programmed and prioritized by the Cylons. I consider him the first Human-Cylon hybrid who is too weak a human to fight against his mental tormentor.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

It's not much of a peace movement when they used terrorism. The whole thing seems so illogical. The Cylons broke the peace, the Cylons are hunting them down still. And then they're (the peace movement) crippling their own survival?

It doesn't make sense.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
What a great show. [Smile]
*bounces*

As for this misnamed "peace movement"...they are nothing but traitors. They aren't a party or even a political movement. They are trying to bring about the extinction of the Human race.

They say they "why fight the war??"

Well honey, Governemnt offered the Cylons a complete and unconditional surrender and they still nuked away till 50 billion people were dead.

The last survivors didn't fight...they RAN. And the Cylons chased them.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well honey, Governemnt offered the Cylons a complete and unconditional surrender and they still nuked away till 50 billion people were dead.
Yeah.... You'd think this would be *totally* obvious. Didn't they watch how the original BSG TV show started? [Wink]

quote:
quote:
I don't think Baltar is the enemy of the human forces...he is just strictly pro-Baltar.
I think he is both.
I think he is not the intentional enemy of the human forces (like the Cylons are) but rather by being a pure survivalist (and a prideful, self-deceiving one at that) he is incidentally the enemy of the human forces.

His apathy for the good of society is detremental to it in these delicate times, whereas in prosperous, peaceful times the harmful consequences would be rather limited.

This is why I don't "get" him giving a nuke to the Cylon/peacekeeper group. He doesn't seem like a particularly vengeful or hateful person. Where is the self-preservation in it? The promise to be the one human saved by the Cylons?

quote:
but I tend to get involved a little too much in on screen things and if they are as horrible and as frightening as BSG, I have to take a break!
This sort of reaction made it hard for me to enjoy Firefly and Serenity as much as Porter did. [Smile]

Did anyone else find the "Cylon/human fetuses cure cancer!" thing a bit hokey?

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
Yeah.... You'd think this would be *totally* obvious. Didn't they watch how the original BSG TV show started? [Wink]

quote:
quote:
I think he is both.
I think he is not the intentional enemy of the human forces (like the Cylons are) but rather by being a pure survivalist (and a prideful, self-deceiving one at that) he is incidentally the enemy of the human forces.

His apathy for the good of society is detremental to it in these delicate times, whereas in prosperous, peaceful times the harmful consequences would be rather limited.

This is why I don't "get" him giving a nuke to the Cylon/peacekeeper group. He doesn't seem like a particularly vengeful or hateful person. Where is the self-preservation in it? The promise to be the one human saved by the Cylons?

quote:
but I tend to get involved a little too much in on screen things and if they are as horrible and as frightening as BSG, I have to take a break!
This sort of reaction made it hard for me to enjoy Firefly and Serenity as much as Porter did. [Smile]

quote:
He has been programmed and prioritized by the Cylons. I consider him the first Human-Cylon hybrid who is too weak a human to fight against his mental tormentor.
Ooo, now *this* is a fascinating idea. Baltar is at least a bit Cylon himself? Hmmmm.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
They are the ultimate stem cells.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm super-excited for the next episode. As the promo commercial says, "The Redemption of Apollo."

WOO!!

(PS - I'm in love with Apollo, in case you couldn't tell. My favourite episode [so far] is still "The Hand of God.")

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
On one of the fan boards, they are calling the cancer-curing Cylon fetus Fetus ex Machina tm.

Hee!

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Heh. [Cool]
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll admit that I did. While RM seems to have a plan for how he wants the show to unfold, but this felt like one of those times where the writers thought "Oh no, we can't let the main character die... let's fix that in a single episode," and did-- especially since it was previously stated that the leader that Roslin represents would not see the promised land of Earth. It throws everything into question.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
MUSIC.

Specifically the music cue of that eerily Earth sounding song...because it is a real Earth song!

I'm talking about the Irish song first heard in "Hand of God" and has been used over and over again, sometimes in subtle ways like when Adama and Apollo reunite on Kobol, sometimes in much grander ways like when they show the President the completed Black Bird or when Adama makes the decision to go back to Kobol to unite the fleet again.

I see this music as some of the most beautiful and poignant in the whole show... and it iluminates for me several things: the bonds of family and friends, the glory of the Human Race (warts and all), survival, forgiveness, a longing for a home that is lost forever, and that even though so much has been lost where there is life there is hope.

I hope that if they ever find Earth they play this song at the end.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Telp: That particular piece is called "Wander my Friends," by Bear McCreary. That melody appears earlier in the show, too, when Adama gives Lee his lighter (that version is called "A Good Lighter").

Some more stuff by McCreary:

The piece from KLG-2 (Six and Baltar in the Opera House) is called "The Shape of Things To Come."

The song at the end of Pegasus ("I'm getting my men") is called "Prelude to War."

Six's theme: "Number Six Appears."

The piece that Starbuck plays on the radio in her apartment is "Metamorphosis One," by Phillip Glass. They've got to be online somewhere...

--j_k

[edit: here. Scroll down, or do a pagesearch for "A Good Lighter" --j_k ]

[ January 23, 2006, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

We were in a metalic elevator the other day and Porter knocked on the walls. It sounded very much like the "clanking" in the Cylon music theme. [Big Grin]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Yay! Limewire is pretty sweet. [Cool]
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne: they're $2 an episode! Just buy the darn things!
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

And, uh, Limewire isn't all that sweet.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zan
Member # 4888

- posted      Profile for Zan   Email Zan         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Cylon blood is going to change Roslyn. After the siezure was over and she was aware and looking around, I thought she seemed to be looking past Baltar at something frightening or unexpected. I was expecting them to show us that she could now see MentalSix standing beside Baltar.

In her flashbacks, she did keep seeing Baltar and Six together back on Caprica. That has to lead somewhere.

Posts: 221 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I second fugu. Blayne, buy the damn episodes. They're cheap.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Two more episodes to season 2.0 to go then I'm totally caught up. [Big Grin]

I watched the episode with Lucy Lawless last night. This is SUCH a frackin good show. SO...we know what 6 of the 12 models look like now, right? Or have I miscounted?

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still holding out hope that curing the cancer is only the beginning. Every medicine has side effects, right? What's the side effect of injecting someone with blood that doesn't match their species let alone their blood type?

I'm in love with the new commercial with the baby, btw. I was so glad to see Helo step up and try to stop Adama. After some of the conversations he and the Chief had (and I still don't believe Chief is anywhere near over Sharon) it was nice to see him step up and publicly announce his devotion to his child.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I didn't think she was looking past Baltar as much as it was sinking in: "YOU! You were with that Cylon from the begining! You *knew*!"

Now that she will live, Baltar has to deal with some of his dirty little secrets being known. Or he can miraculously escape scott-free like he has been up till now.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Huh. I never recognized the journalist as Lucy Lawless.

quote:
Or he can miraculously escape scott-free like he has been up till now.
I have no doubt that this will happen and that I will continue to be bored by the Baltar "plot".
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Porter, I wouldn't have either, except I was watching it on DVD and the last line in the synopsis of the episode is that Lucy Lawless gueststars as D'Anna.

I'm with you, bev. Ross (my hubby) wondered aloud if she was going to remember her illness-dreams. Seemed to me with that glance that the answer is a definitive Yes. I'm looking forward to seeing how Baltar weasles out of this one. The man has teflon skin.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

quote:
Originally posted by jeniwren:
Two more episodes to season 2.0 to go then I'm totally caught up. [Big Grin]

I watched the episode with Lucy Lawless last night. This is SUCH a frackin good show. SO...we know what 6 of the 12 models look like now, right? Or have I miscounted?

Yes. They are...

SPOILERS!

Six, Boomer, Leoben, Doral, Simon, and D'Anna.

Oh, and Dee. (Just kidding, I just really want her to be one [Wink] )

just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, and Dee. (Just kidding, I just really want her to be one )
At least you think you're kidding [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 409 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'd be all that surprised if she turned out to be one. However, if she turns into an agent like Boomer1 I'm going to be very unhappy.

On a side note... what's with her standing outside Lee's door when he was talking with Starbuck at the end of the episode 2 eps ago?

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
I don't think I'd be all that surprised if she turned out to be one. However, if she turns into an agent like Boomer1 I'm going to be very unhappy.

Why the difference?
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Did anyone see that they are making Battlestar Galactica Minimates figures (both from the old series and the current series)? I'm so excited about it for some reason. *such a toy geek*
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.