FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Lost" discussion *including spoilers* (Page 8)

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: "Lost" discussion *including spoilers*
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
The reason I was relieved with this episode, is I thought it was going to be a "I have the guns, I have the power" episode. Sure it didn't exactly reveal MUCH, but it really did a good job at developing Sawyers character, I think.

And yes, I was wanting Sawyer to tell him about his father. Sawyer is a good guy, and has every oppurtunity, but he doesn't, and that part does tick me off a bit, but does make me more interested in his character.

Teshi, could you update the list?

I also found that scene where Locke just stumbles on them to be humorous. I notice more and more that Locke is the kind of person who causes others to face their problems head on.

[ February 16, 2005, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Was Ethan abnormally strong? I know he picked up Charlie with one hand, but I've seen that done before on TV by someone who was just very strong, but not freakishly so. He beat up Jack the first time, but not by greater strength, but because he was a better fighter.
I wondered about this too. Like you said, he beat Jack pretty easily in their first fight. That may be because he was a better fighter, but super strength might have helped too. Picking up Charlie with one arm like that is pretty much impossible for someone Ethan's size, but that might just be TV physics. And did anyone else notice that in the last fight with Jack he took about a half dozen punches full in the face and was still getting up like nothing happened right until he was shot?! Again, that could just be the usual TV-world rule of punches to the face not really hurting much, but when you add it all up, I get the impression that Ethan may have been something more than a normal human being. And chances are there are more people like him out there...

[ February 17, 2005, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: neo-dragon ]

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting tired of hearing people complain about the lack of resolution thus far.

Perhaps the point of the show, to a certain extent, is to make the viewer feel just a wee bit, oh, I don't know, LOST.

That said, I'm enjoying the show as much as ever.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if there were connections between all of the characters before the plane. Examples: Sawyer met Jack's father in the bar, Sawyer was in police station when Kate was getting fingerprinted. Maybe it's just that Sawyer has a connection to everyone?
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Sawyer was in the station when Boone was talking about his sister, too.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
[Blushing] Ooops! I think that's what I meant. I just remembered that it was a police station, so of course my first thought was Kate!
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
LALALALALA---I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! Stop posting spoilers!!! My will is not that strong, and I like being suprised....please...stop...can't not look...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I recall hearing that all the characters have had some kind of interaction or connection with each other before they ever got on the plane. It'll be fun seeing how that happens in the flashbacks.

Something I thought of a few episodes back, but keep forgetting to say: Walt's talent seems to be "calling" animals to him (polar bear, bird). But he doesn't seem to be able to do that with Vincent, the one animal he actually wants to be able to call to him whenever he wants. I know Vincent's gotten loose/wandered off at least twice during the course of the show, and there may be other times I'm forgetting about. Funny, that.

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... Interesting point, Stray, I never made that connection.

re: peterh's last post--I personally don't mind that there is no quick resolution to things on this show, but it is frustrating when some shows really don't do much in terms of character development or plot development-- like last week's episode. It was good enough, I guess, but we didn't really learn anything more about Charlie-- we already knew he was basically a decent guy who was messed up with drugs. Other than Ethan dying, what of significance happened?

Now this week was much better. I'm still anxiously awaiting for Hurley's story, though.

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Sawyer is one who hoards and I think he is holding the info about Jack's father until it is useful to share it. Sawyer isn't an evil man but he is still very selfish and opportunistic.

I agree. Can't wait for Hurley's episode!

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Teshi, could you update the list?
I thought I did... I added Locke's Golden Retriever, The Boar (which I figured although not definately supernatural was all but supernatural).

I'll add Sawyer's reason for being in Australia. Is there anything else anyone thinks should be added?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, the fact that they're waiting so long to do Hurley's episode should indicate how awesome it's going to be. And that there will be many revalations in that episode. They've done every major character now. A few of them twice even. And still no Hurley. The only characters they haven't done have been Shannon and the Asian guy(Jin?) and they were partly done in the episodes with their significant others.

I also thought this last episode was great. Some good comedy and interesting plot. So was Robert Patrick supposed to be Sawyer? Or just someone setting our Sawyer up because he knew about his history? Sawyer's meeting with Jacks' dad will obviously come up again some time. When do you think it'll happen?

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

New episode tonight!
[Party]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"And still no Hurley."

Perhaps this is because Hurley's a fat guy. Fat guys don't get their own episode; it's kind of a rule of ensemble presentations.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

Hurley's episode will be two weeks from today, I believe. It's episode #18 of the season anyway, and I'm pretty sure tonight's is #16.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Isn't Hurley's episode tonight? Or next week? I think it's soon - I read that somewhere. Uno momento.

Or, I can wait one moment and Hatrack will come up with all the answers, like usual.

[ February 23, 2005, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

Jin (I think) is tonight's episode.
Stray
Member # 4056

quote:
Or, I can wait one moment and Hatrack will come up with all the answers, like usual.
[Big Grin]

I've seen the promo pics for it, and I know some spoilers... [Monkeys]

Teshi
Member # 5024

*bounce*
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

OK, was that Hurley on the TV the kid was watching? It just flashed for a second but it sure looked like him.

Pretty good episode, I had a feeling the kid torched the boat...

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Yes, it was indeed Hurley. Wasn't that awesome?

I liked this episode, especially the bit right at the end when Hurley's CD player ran out of batteries. I got the feeling that this was the end of one era and the beginning of a new one.

I did not see Walt being the culprit coming; awesome.

EDIT: The List is updated. And I added a new section, "connections".

[ February 23, 2005, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Stray
Member # 4056

Agh, I completely missed seeing Hurley on the TV! Oh well, great episode nonetheless. And for once I didn't have to shush my various housemates who were yapping away in the background when the show started, since it was subtitled [Smile]
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers about Hurley from 'TV Guide'-

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

...Hurley won the jackpot of a lottery, and is a millionaire. That's why he was on TV.

[ February 23, 2005, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

That's what I've heard too.
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Teshi-

Where/What is the "List"?

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite things about this show is the complexity of all the characters we're supposed to not like.
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw "the kid did it" coming. I couldn't quite figure out a motive and I thought the one he gave was rather lame, but I suppose it makes sense.

Does it squick anyone else out to see Sayid getting all schmoopy and romantic? And did anyone else notice that this episode ended with lingering shots of the current couples? Charlie/Claire, Sayid/Shannon.

I kind of did like the shot of Sun and her freedom at the end, but it still made me sad because I feel like Jin is pretty danged misunderstood. I wish he would just spill the beans about her "mob" father so they could kiss and make up.

next week's episode looks very Indiana Jones-esque.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

But Jin knows what is feels like to be ashamed of his father and he doesn't want to burden Sun with the same shame. That's a pretty powerful and selfless love if you ask me.

Actually, I think that Sun just needs to admit to Jin that she knows about her father and loved Jin because he was her ticket out of that shame/life. She started to hate Jin because she believed that Jin had becoming her father.

I think that Sun realized how wrong she was about Jin when he didn't raise a hand to Walt's dad.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

Wow, LadyDove, I never thought of it that way. I guess it's selfless, but it's still messed up. A good example of why you should be honest with each other in relationships.

Yeah, Sayid all schmoopy is a little weird, isn't it?

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm eager to see Hurley's life-- he's definitely my favorite character. He is the community builder-- better than Locke, better than the doctor person. . .

Hurley rocks.

I like the way they set up opposition between Walt and Locke. They both seem to have some mystical control over the island (Locke is obvious-- but Walt called up a polar bear, twice!). And during the pilot, their backgammon game. . . portents, portents, oooohh.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, what is the opposition you see between Locke and Walt? It seems to me that Locke wants Walt to develop his talents.

I thought I was going to be soooo cool being the first one that noticed that Hurley was on TV in Jin's backstory. Curse you attentive people.
[Mad]
What kind of lottery did Hurley win that it showed up on TV in Korea?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

I was thinking about the theory that Locke is the voice of the island, and I think this episode went against that theory a little. When Locke started all of that talk about going against "them" and not each other, it was doing the opposite of what the island wanted. When he said that I thought it really was "them" who had done it because it had broken up the people on the island, split them back into different factors, and put them off guard. If Locke is the voice of the island, would he have been able to put them back together like that, and not tell about Walt?
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Hurley is indeed my favorite character on the show, and really, I can't wait for his episode. However, I'm afraid that they are going to kill him off- not that I've heard rumors or spoilers, just afraid of that. I really would hate to see the writers build up so much audience connection to him, only to make his death more emotion for the audience.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

I totally saw WaltAsCulprit coming. I kept trying to convince the BP I was with that he was the one, and they wouldn't believe it.

Hurley's wonderful. I love that they showed the moment his batteries ran out, because when he turned on the CD player, half the people in the room said "The batteries still work!?"

fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Lady Jane, it was the same at my house! People guffawed at the life of the batteries only to see them conk out. Very cool.

Jin's backstory was excellent. I liked how it filled in all of Sun's story...the dog, the blood, the marriage, all of it. Very nicely done. Also nice this week is the lack of people complaining about enough resolution. I am very content to see these characters grow among themselves through their actions and the past we get a glimpse of. That is what makes this great television, not polar bears, French women or mysterious rocks. This is a cool show and would be fine even without all the mystical stuff. Sawyer said it best this episode...they had gone "Lord of the Flies" and that is good enough for me!

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

See, I'm still kind of wondering in my head "after the mysteries are solved, and all is said and done, if they continue the show, am I going to still watch." The characters are very compelling to watch, but the mystery determines it. If its bad and corny mysteries, it would be difficult to continue to watch. If it was a good mystery that was solved, and they had to live with it still, I would probably keep watching. I do love the characters a lot.
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
My worry about this kind of show is that it will get cancelled before the overarching story gets told and will leave us hanging. I have the same worries (only to a higher degree since it is less popular and not on one of the big networks) about Veronica Mars.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

No, I don't think this will get cancelled anytime soon. It's had outstanding ratings, and a strong fan base. However, all of that could easily wane by season 4, depending on the writers.
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

quote:
It's had outstanding ratings, and a strong fan base.
So did the first season of The O.C.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Yes, but the difference between The O.C. and Lost is that I actually care.
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

I'm going to nod and smile and pretend that made sense in order to get away more quickly.
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Remember that this plot line is very open ended. There are, what, 40+ people on the island and "others" on the island that we have yet to meet and it seems that they've only explored a very small portion of the island.

Additionally, we have the seed of a thought planted by the Christian lady, that there are other survivors of the crash either elsewhere on the island or on nearby islands.

If "Law and Order" has taught the television industry anything, it is that the writing is more important to the life of a series than the actors.

Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Where/What is the "List"?
"The List", suggested by T_Smith is a list of Lost characters, their reasons for traveling and any flashback connections (i.e. Hurley on TV).

It's on page seven of this thread about half way down.

It's the Lost List

(heh, the Last Lust for Lost List [Big Grin] )

Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Could somebody please, PLEASe, direct me to a bittorent of this ep?

*weeps and gnashes teeth*

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

pretty please?
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
TorrentSpy is down right now, and the other torrent site I use doesn't have the most recent episode. I found episode 1x17 here, though. 4th torrent down with 793 seeds. Enjoy!
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

quote:
Sawyer (Thanks Geoff!): (possible real name is James?) Unknown as to why he was flying, as far as I can tell. But is a tormented Scam Artist, who was seen entering a police station in Boone's Flashback and so may have been running from the police after murdering a man who was not who he thought was 'Sawyer'. Was in Australia to do this murder.
I got the impression that he was going home to exact vengence from the bad dude that set him up to kill the wrong man.

[ March 01, 2005, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I use www.isohunt.com to find torrents. you'll always be able to find up to date torrents through them.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Oh, good idea, LadyDove! I'll add that as a possibility!
Olivetta
Member # 6456

Oh, thank you! Thank you! [Party]
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.