FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 39)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

- posted      Profile for KetchupPrinceConsort   Email KetchupPrinceConsort         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was fine with the long hair (well, cut it a little shorter, but not much) through my first pregnancy, it was no problem my second-- but this time, I'm just so tired ALL the time. (Part of that is the medication.) I just haven't had the energy, and I'm shedding more and my hair was more tangly (which did NOT happen with the girls, but this time it started as soon as I got pregnant) and my hair was just in knots. I couldn't take it. It was making me feel even more sick and tired and I didn't want to go out because my hair looked so bad and it was so much work to make it look good.

Now it takes two minutes to make it look good. Yay! I can go out again!

Posts: 137 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
KPC, there are ... depths ... to you that we never knew.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, he is in so much trouble.

He KNOWS he is not to post on Hatrack without logging me back in afterwards.

No, it does not matter that this is his laptop.

I said it doesn't! I can't hear you! La la la! *sticks fingers in ears*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggles*

I did a double take.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's almost as funny as when Tom posts as Christy. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Liz and baby!

Congrats on the new 'do ketchupqueen. I'm considering it -- John has gotten into a hair pulling phase, and somehow even when I put it up in ways I used to like it never seems to look tidy. I didn't start growing it out until after high school, so it's not a case of wanting to grow out of my teenage look, but it has been almost 18 years since I've worn it short. I think it's the idea of having to keep getting it cut that's stopping me.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much, everyone!

Nathaniel's bilirubin levels were rising again, so they decided to keep him another day or 2 and put him back under the lights. So he's still not home yet [Frown] , but it's nothing serious [Smile] .

KQ, I still have essentially the same haircut/ hairstyle as I had in high school, and I'm quite a bit older than you. [Smile] Of course, mine is shortish and pretty easy to take care of...which may explain why I've kept it this way for so long...

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Liz - congratulations on your new little guy!! I'm sorry he had to come early, but I'm so excited he'll get to come home soon!!! I hope breastfeeding will get easier and that you and he will continue to get stronger and healthier!!

kq - yay for new hair!! I love having short hair (I haven't had it longer than my shoulders in probably about 15 years) because of how easy it is. I can't wait to see pictures!!

I'm hoping for good news from my doctor today! I'm getting really impatient! I'm fairly certain she has dropped (how far, I'm not sure, but she really feels and looks lower) and I'm hoping that all the Braxton-Hicks I've been having have helped her move down and my cervix to continue to dilate. Hurry up little baby! [Big Grin]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Liz! I'm sorry you have to be there an extra couple of days, but for 6 weeks early, that's still good.

Having this baby still feels like an eternity away. I'm just over 17 weeks, not even to the halfway point, and I'm already so eager to have this baby! I didn't have this feeling until my third trimester with my son and I thought this time the waiting would be easier...now here I am barely in my second trimester and I want to be DONE! Am I nuts?

I bought some clothes for my book signing next weekend. I did end up having to go with a skirt...there just wasn't any choice. I was putting on XL pants (pre-pregnancy I'm a 10-12, btw) and they were still hugging my thighs while the belly area was a TENT. I thought those things were supposed to be stretchy or having draw strings. Well, technically they did have elastic but the smallest position was about three feet from my belly. I probably won't be that big in my ninth month!

So, after trying on every pair of pants in the store, I went with a skirt...large, not XL like the pants I was trying on so that didn't hurt my feelings. Might be a bit drafty but at least they fit. [Smile]

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Liz, he's little enough that they may be keeping him for more than just bili levels. However, if that is all they're keeping him for, you may want to ask about the possibility of having bili lights at home. I had that with my oldest (who is now almost 14), and it was much better than having to take her back to the hospital. (And it ends up being much cheaper than extra days in the hospital too.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Christine, my doctor said that is one of the differences with a second pregnancy -- the first time around everything is new and exciting and the second time most moms are just "pregnant, okay, great, get this kid here already."
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeathofBees
Member # 3862

- posted      Profile for DeathofBees   Email DeathofBees         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been having hair problems ever since my first pregnancy, too. I used to have really long, really thick, glorious (at least to me) golden locks. After Mini-Bee was born, I lost handfuls of hair, developed yucky flyaways and my hair felt weak. Added to all that, my husband told me the first week of our marriage that he didn't like my "golden locks" strangling him in the night, and would I please tie back my hair in bed. Just recently, after I've been ponytailing and/or braiding it for several years, my husband made a comment about how my hair looks kind of...off. I growled at him that it could be because it gets pulled out of my head and broken by ponytail holders! In short, he agreed that it would be better for my hair if I just tied a handkerchief around my head at night instead of tying it all back. I'm hoping it will get stronger with time, and I'll be able to reduce the flyaways. They tickle my face! I just couldn't bring myself to cut it all off short.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually finding that I'm more patient this time around. Probably because my days are passing more quickly with a busy toddler than with a computer monitor and a writing job I disliked.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Weirdly, I haven't lost gobs of hair - my hair is as freakishly thick as it has always been. It's only been three weeks, though, I guess. Maybe it's still coming.
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
Christine, my doctor said that is one of the differences with a second pregnancy -- the first time around everything is new and exciting and the second time most moms are just "pregnant, okay, great, get this kid here already."

Nice to know I'm not alone!

I think partly, I've been eager ever since I had my son to kind of fill in our family, if that makes any sense. I never intended to have an only child and the house just seems so quiet with the two of us. My son plays easily by himself for long stretches of time and sometimes I wonder if that's not normal and if I've done it to him by not being energetic enough or something. I'm not entirely sure what a second child will do to help, but at least my days will be busier and hopefully a little more lively. [Smile]

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to cut my hair at least for a few more years because I have such fond memories of my mother's beautiful long hair when I was very young. I want my daughter to see me like that. That's not my only reason, as I've been growing my hair for several years now already, but it makes me a lot less likely to cut it for some time.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Katarain, that was kind of my thinking too, for a while-- I wanted my kids to see how pretty and fun long hair can be. And part of it was that having long hair was a rebellion against my mom, who had it short all my childhood (she has hair like mine) and always kept mine short until I was in 5th grade and insisted on growing it long.

Now I realize why she had it short when we were little. And since my mom is now growing hers out for the first time in about 45 years, and my sister still has long hair, I figure they will love me anyway. [Wink]

quote:
I'm not entirely sure what a second child will do to help, but at least my days will be busier and hopefully a little more lively.
[Laugh] You want to be careful saying things like that...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Liz! I'm glad things are going so well considering he came early. [Smile] When was your due date? It must be pretty close to mine because I'm at 33 weeks 4 days today. Crazy! I'm no where near ready for this baby to be here!
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

While I've made a little progress, it's not a lot. [Frown] It's hard not to be disappointed. She has indeed dropped down a little (a week ago she was still floating, today she's between -3 and -2) and I've dilated a little bit more (I'm about 1.5 cm), but it wasn't as much progress as I'd hoped for. Oh well, they're setting up an appointment for me at the hospital on Friday to start Cervidil if things haven't gotten started on their own. He's guessing she's about 8 lbs (give or take half a pound) and he doesn't want me to have to go too much longer (I don't want to have to too much longer either). So, I should have our little girl by this weekend either way. [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

quote:
I'm not entirely sure what a second child will do to help, but at least my days will be busier and hopefully a little more lively.
[Laugh] You want to be careful saying things like that...
Yeah, you're right...I need to be careful what I wish for! >Furiously knocking on wood<
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

ludosti, are there statistics on Cervadil vs. pitocin induction? I was under the impression pitocin was more effective and that if she's at -3, you're having lots of Braxton Hicks, and you're 1.5 cm, you're about where I was when I was induced with Bridey (pitocin only.)
ludosti
Member # 1772

They usually start with Cervidil (it acts as a cervical ripening agent) before moving to Pitocin. As my doctor explained it, sometimes the Cervidil itself is enough to start you into labor, but if not, it does a better job of preparing your cervix than the Pitocin does (which is why they use it first).

I ended up having to go to the hospital last night to get checked out because I started bleeding (not spotting but not hemorrhaging). The baby is doing fine and I don't have any placental issues (no contraction or anything and my cervix hadn't massively dilated or anything), so most likely it was a weird consequence of my exam yesterday (though I've never even spotted at all during the pregnancy, which is why I was concerned). It seems to only have lasted a few hours and hasn't kicked up again today, so we're still playing the waiting game.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I know several women who have had that happen right before they pass the mucus plug. So, you never know...
ludosti
Member # 1772

That's one thing I thought about when it first started, but I was startled by the amount (and that it lasted for about 4 hours). The nurse last night that checked my cervix said I still seem to be about 1 cm, but here's hoping that'll change. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, in the women I was thinking of, they went in for a check, had bleeding like a light to medium period for a few hours, then 24 to 48 hours later lost the mucus plug. One then went into labor, the other had to be induced, I don't remember what happened with the last one. But there's a chance...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, I forgot to mention I had another insatiable craving last night.

I made Jeff go get me a hamburger while I put the laundry away, and when he brought it back I put strawberry jam on it. Mmmmm. It was really good, although I think in the future I'll arrange to have peach or plum or apricot-pineapple on hand (strawberry was all we had.)

scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't use cervadil, but I was very ripe, just not going into labor.

edit to add 3cms, 60-70% effaced.

[ December 18, 2007, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: scholar ]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I was 3 cm. and 90% effaced when I was induced with Emma, 1.5 cm and 70% effaced when I was induced with Bridey.
Liz B
Member # 8238

Ludosti, I wish I had posted this sooner, but anyway, I'm thinking of you today!!! Lots of wishes for a good labor (wasn't really sure what kind of labor to wish you...painless is obviously pretty unrealistic!) and a healthy daughter.

Hansenj, my due date was 1/21. So you must be due in early February, right??

And now my news:

Nathaniel is home!
[Party]

And oh my goodness, it so SO hard to take care of a baby. And this one mostly just sleeps, bless his little heart. (He eats and poops a lot, too.)

We went to the pediatrician today. Traumatic...but he was 5 lbs. 7 oz., so he's gained 6 oz. since his discharge on Tuesday.

Breastfeeding is going better. We're both getting more used to it. I still have to give him 2 formula feedings a day to get his weight up. I haven't been successful with breastfeeding him at night yet, because by the time he has cried enough to wake us up, and we've changed his diaper, he's too worked up to put in the effort to breastfeed. So I'm still pumping at night, but all of his daytime feedings have been successful.

Uh oh. He's starting to stir a little....

Edited for clarity.

[ December 21, 2007, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Liz B ]

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Congratulations Liz! Just keep working on the b/f, as he gets older it will probably get easier for him. I told my mom about him breastfeeding and she was astonished (she works with babies that have feeding problems a lot) that he had a suck good enough to breastfeed at all right now! She says many babies don't get a suck that strong until at least 36.5 to 37 weeks (gestational age.) So you're doing great!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Huh. I posted this earlier but apparently Hatrack ate it.

So, back from the ultrasound. Saw a healthy baby with four limbs, a four-chambered heart and...

crossed legs. The doctor couldn't get a clear shot. He said, "I don't see anything hanging out there, but I don't see a definitive girl, either." It was just not a clear enough shot to tell. He's leaning toward girl but said there is a definite possibility it's a boy, still. No three white lines, no little turtle head. *sigh* And my mom and I still have had no gender dreams. So this baby just does not want us to know.

We're looking into vanity 4D places, see if we can get a clearer shot a different day.

Liz B
Member # 8238

Wow, kq. Thanks!!! [Smile] That makes me feel better. Yay Nathaniel. I knew he was brilliant.

Aaaaand...I'm going to go ahead and wager that it's a boy. After all, boys are so ornery.

Glad that the baby is healthy!

rivka
Member # 4859

Yes, but girls are coy. [Wink] With my oldest (a girl) I had a whole bunch of ultrasounds (I was part of an NIH study, in addition to the ones my doctor did in her office), and we never got a clear look. And we tried!
hansenj
Member # 4034

My due date is January 30th. [Smile]

I'm so glad Nathaniel is home!

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Yes, but girls are coy.
Not my oldest two. They both gave us nice clear shots of wide open legs. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

So did my younger one.
ludosti
Member # 1772

She's here!! I ended up needing a C-section because the induction didn't progress the way it should have. I was pretty disappointed at first that things didn't work out as I would have liked, but they definitely worked out for the best (it turns out the cord was right next to her head, which was wedged at a weird angle, and her chest was a full inch larger than her head). [Smile]

She was 8 lbs, 21.25 inches and she is beautiful!! We were able to come home on Christmas day and we're glad to be home. Adjusting to everything is difficult but she really is a good baby, so I can't complain. [Big Grin]

[ December 28, 2007, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! And wow, that's a lot of hair for a newborn, isn't it?
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeathofBees
Member # 3862

- posted      Profile for DeathofBees   Email DeathofBees         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, ludosti! She really is beautiful, too. Love those pouty lips.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I'm so happy for you both.
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

C-section babies have an unfair advantage in the looks department. [Wink] She is absolutely lovely!

Enjoy mommyhood, and take it easy. You not only just had a baby, you also had major surgery!

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat] [Cool]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
Congratulations! And wow, that's a lot of hair for a newborn, isn't it?

Nah.

Congratulations ludosti, she is lovely. [Smile]

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll keep that in mind. [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Congratulations, ludosti!
hansenj
Member # 4034

Congratulations on the beautiful baby! [Smile]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to you and your family, ludosti! [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats ludosti! She is beautiful.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

Gorgeous baby! Congratulations!!! What a sweet little face. I'm so glad you had her home with you for Christmas. [Smile] [Smile]

(And how's that nausea now??)

Dark as night
Member # 9577

- posted      Profile for Dark as night   Email Dark as night         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! She is so precious!!! Congratulations!
Posts: 155 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.