FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY (Page 8)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, I work until 10, so for the ECF games I'm just getting out as they finish. I can see the Arena (and hear the cheers) from my desk so I know in general what's going on, even without the constant refreshing of nhl.com. [Wink]

You know, I've been cheering on Edmonton since the last part of the regular season. Since we get HNIC here, I've seen a ton of the Western Conference Canadian teams, it was great fun. You knew if Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton were involved it was going to be a great game to watch. If Buffalo/Edmonton happens (don't want to jinx it), it may not be the marquee NY Rangers/LA Kings matchup the NHL would probably like but it would be a fantastic series. Won by Buffalo. [Big Grin]

The Sabres need to get some defensemen healthy, though. Could we go one game without one of our important d-men getting injured? Numminen, how are you feeling? Please come back! Tallinder, please let some of your skillz rub off on Paetsch, Jillson and Janik.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

If that OLN accouncer says 'Manpower advantage' one more time, I'm going to reach through the TV and smack him.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Oilers win the Western Conference final!!! [Big Grin]

What was that about needing luck? Well, maybe in the cup final... [Wink]

I also hope that it's a Buffalo/Edmonton final. Tick, it's up to your team now! Come on Buffalo!!!

The Oilers are having great games against teams that can be referred to as food. First it was wings, then shark, and some duck. Buffalo would work well on that menu I think. [Razz]

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet. Good job Edmonton!

I hope they go all the way.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Congratulations, Edmonton! How cool is it that an 8 seed made it all the way to the Stanley Cup finals?

Buffalo will meet you there, if only they could go more than two games without a top d-man getting injured.

Fitz
Member # 4803

It's too bad the typical rabble gathered on Whyte Ave. yesterday and cast a sour note on the Oilers victory. These so called proud Edmontonians started a bonfire in the middle of a busy road, threw beer bottles through the windows of small, locally owned businesses, and caused all sorts of mayhem. It's this type of idiocy that really makes hockey fans look bad, Edmontonian ones in particular.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Yeah, people like that are just nutty in general. Any excuse to set fires and flip over cars. [Roll Eyes]

Carolina/Buffalo goes to game seven after a tremendous game six here in Buffalo. Both Ryan Miller and Cam Ward were dominant in net, flashing serious leather...it's almost sad that Ward's day got ruined by a shot that jumped out of his glove and trickled over the line. Almost. [Wink]

There WAS a bit of high pitched whining from Hedican and Weight. Look guys, there were missed calls and bad calls on both sides, in all the playoff series. It's worth noting that a lot of the sportswriters disagree with you, Doug, and say that the boarding penalty has been called like that for years. You may also want to learn the first name of Jason Pominville, since he is the guy who sent the Sens home with a shorthanded OT winner. And I know the sportswriter in Raleigh probably covers the World of Outlaws or something normally but could you go one column without complaining about bad ice? Your own team says it doesn't favor either team, get over it.

Oh, and [columbo]just one more thing[/columbo], I'd be hard pressed to see that as a penalty. Three guys converge on the puck, all three at the very least go off their skates...nah. Maybe someone should've covered the Sabres best offensive producer after he got up off the ice.

Okay, done ranting. I really hope they beat these guys on Thursday, with no officiating gaffes, bad ice, Wiccan hexes, and star mis-alignment for them to blame it on.

TheTick
Member # 2883

Oh, and Martin Biron is the best backup goalie in the league. Where else would they mic up a guy who will sit on the bench the whole game?

Buffalo has the Goo Goo Dolls, Carolina apparently has Clay Aiken. [Taunt]

TheTick
Member # 2883

quote:
He not only drew four penalties on Tuesday, but how could Weight not know who the rookie is after his wonderful short-handed overtime goal in the Sabres' series-winning victory in the second round against the Ottawa Senators?

"I saw what he said," Pominville said. "He can say whatever he wants."

"It's kind of funny. He knows my last name because he hit me from behind."

Heh. Pominville rocks.

Images from Game 6

TheTick
Member # 2883

No, it cannot be...Jay McKee might be OUT for tonight's game. A FOURTH starting defensemen, probably the best we have, has a 'freak infection' in his leg. Rumor is a staph infection, from a wound in his leg that wouldn't close due to all the shot blocking done with his legs. Just...wow. If they win tonight then the Hockey Gods truly want Buffalo to have a chance at the cup again.
TheTick
Member # 2883

I believe! Game 7 starts now! Time to put on the Sabres jersey...
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
Canes win 4-2.

Canes vs Oilers next. [Big Grin]

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

My poor Sabres lost game seven of the Eastern Conference Finals. The loss of Jay McKee, perhaps Buffalo's best d-man this year, was the final nail in the coffin. The kids from Rochester did what they could, but the lack of experienced players on the powerplay and PK was damaging. Great season, though.

Oh, and read that article if you are the type that's been using the same sports equipment since high school. Highlights:

quote:
McKee's strep infection developed when bacteria came into contact with a gash caused by a blocked shot he took in the second round against the Ottawa Senators. The cut didn't require stitches, but it wouldn't close because pucks repeatedly struck the area in practices and games.

Strep infections of the skin are rare, but cases involving athletes usually are the result of old, sweaty equipment. Buffalo's longest-tenured player still uses pads from his junior days. His shin guards are relics.

McKee's in his 10th year, IIRC.

quote:
Yet about five hours later, agonizing leg pain awakened him. He spent the next hour trying to walk off the pain, but it progressed to the point he couldn't stand any more and went to the emergency room. On the ride to the hospital he broke out into a heavy sweat and both legs began to convulse.

McKee was being treated with intravenous antibiotics. His symptoms calmed down by Thursday afternoon and became more flu-like. He was nauseated, sweaty and had no appetite.

He still held out hope Thursday morning he could make a dramatic recovery and zip over to Raleigh in time for faceoff.

Beyond tough. I hope the Sabres re-sign 74 in the offseason. He's lightyears better than any other UFA defensemen out there.

Good luck, Edmonton and Carolina. I may be one of the few here in the US that watch the games, but I know this will be a great series. I'll be rooting for Edmonton to just crush the 'canes, they'll be playing a team that actually has it's lineup intact. [Wink]

signal
Member # 6828

Canes 5-0 to make the series 2-0. They just plain outplayed the Oilers. Oilers played undisciplined and were giving away power plays like no tomorrow.

And don't even try to tell me its because they didn't have Roloson. Markkanen played spectacularly. He just didn't have a team to back him up. Canes were solid.

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

That sucks. I don't want the Canes to win, Brind'amour is such a smug ass. I hope Pronger cracks him one over that nose, it would probably break his stick though.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't want the Canes to win either.

I hope the Oilers can pull a rabbit out of their helmets.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

I won't be really worried unless the Oilers get down 3-0 in the series. Unfortunately not all Edmontonians are as cautiously optimistic. The streets were littered with folks who jumped off the bandwagon a little too fast after the first game. I imagine the naysayers will get even gloomier tomorrow. Nevertheless, I'm thinking the Oilers can and will win game 3, and then the momentum will shift, just like in the San Jose series.
thrak
Member # 5499

- posted      Profile for thrak   Email thrak         Edit/Delete Post 
I, for one, am happy that the Canes are doing well. Of course, I am a season ticket holder so I may be a little biased. [Big Grin]

I would like to add that I have been impressed with the Oilers team. The team plays a very exciting game and had this fan sitting quietly in the stands after the first two periods in Game One wondering what we would have to do to match their physical, smart play.

Most of all, the fans have made these last two games very enjoyable to attend. The Oilers fans have been very gracious when ahead or behind. They act as if they have been here before.

In the last series, I seriously considered giving up my tickets since a large contingent of Buffalo fans made it their goal to make it uncomfortable and even dangerous to attend games. Luckily, the RBC beefed up security after Game One and we could come and watch a well played series that was only marred by a few bad apples in the stands and a coach who couldn't let his team do his talking.

While attending Games 3 and 4 in 2002 against Detroit, I thought that would be my only chance to catch the Cup Finals in person. I am thankful for the "new" NHL and the possibililty of seeing an Edmonton/Carolina final instead of the usual suspects every season.

Posts: 115 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

quote:
Some Buffalo visitors have countered that they got a hostile reception in the Triangle.

"After the [Monday] game ended, Carolina fans screamed obscenities at me as we tried to leave the arena," wrote Thomas Burger, 43, a Sabres fan and Charlotte minister who brought his daughter to Monday's game. "I am sorry I decided to bring my daughter into that environment and will not be back if Raleigh can't handle its fans."

Several fans at the games blamed the abuse of alcohol. The arena's managers allow drinking in the parking lots before games, and alcohol is sold inside.

"The worst cussing and the most obnoxious behavior I saw was by a Carolina Hurricanes fan, I hate to say," said Ricky Thompson of Tarboro. "It was the alcohol doing the talking."

quote:
Three of the six fans arrested at the RBC Center during the first two games of the series were Hurricanes supporters.
Quotes from your own Raleigh newspaper. Anyway, why bring it up again? Behavior was bad on both sides, you guys won so move on (and be thankful Buffalo knocked Philly out of the mix).
thrak
Member # 5499

I will admit that I did jab at the Buffalo fans behavior. I am sorry. I guess I bristled at the Brind'amour comment. IMO, he is the hardest working player in the NHL and I have never heard him considered "smug".

I will say of the 8 other playoff series in Raleigh, none had the ugliness of the last series against Buffalo. Perhaps it is the NJ, Montreal, Toronto, Detroit and Edmonton fans that are the exceptions.

Posts: 115 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

He's a former Flyer, it comes naturally. [Wink] I mostly get it from his yapping back and forth with Lindy Ruff. Speaking of, I actually think all of Lindy's yapping was calculated, keep the spotlight on him and off the Rochester Amerks that were filling the Sabres ranks.
thrak
Member # 5499

At least for me, Brindy has been here in Carolina long enough to ignore his Flyer past. I hope that this is the season and team that he will be remembered for.

I understood most of the modivation behind Ruff's comments during the conference finals, but I do agree with the off-the-cuff remark that Brind'amour said after game 7. He basically said that Ruff seemed to steal the spotlight away from the players. Personally, my hat is off to the Buffalo team. That was one hard-fought, back and forth series that was truly not over until it was over.

As for Edmonton, I fully expect them to come out and play great hockey at home. I do not want to predict the outcomes, but I hope that the Canes can get a split. It will be tough. From what I have seen of the Oilers, they are a great defensive team that really only needs good goaltending. If they can establish the fore-check and keep the Canes off the power play, they should do well.

solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Edmonton needs to shoot the puck. They seem so focussed on setting up perfect plays that they forget that ugly goals count too. They got 4 past Ward in game 1, they can beat him if they just shoot the puck.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I stayed up to catch the game. The Oilers' lone goal was absolutely gorgeous. I think you may have a point. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Especially when you have guys on your team like Pronger, who can rip it in there for a good rebound.
solo
Member # 3148

Pronger seems to be having trouble hitting the net when he does shoot though. I'd be drilling on that in practice.

The goal they scored was a beauty. If they can get the puck on net, they can make the tips that they have been so good at through the playoffs up until now.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

I missed the goal! My wife got home just before the third period ended and I was talking with her and had flipped it to some show she likes to watch. I thought I still had plenty of time, but no, when I flip back they are interviewing Pisani.

I was so mad that the tieing goal counted. There is no way the ref saw that puck and the whistle should have gone for sure.

I guess it didn't matter ultimately though!

They're coming back to Edmonton!!!

signal
Member # 6828

Woohoo!!! Canes win the cup!!!
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
This should not be. If the Whalers were to win a championship, it should be in CONNECTICUT.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

Sigh.

Maybe next year.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

A lot of moving and shaking happening in Edmonton right now. The biggest case being Pronger, his request for a trade, and the granting of that request moving him to Anaheim. Losing Pronger is a huge blow to the Oilers. The way he chose to leave Edmonton was pretty disgraceful. Not a single word to the fans about why he wanted to leave.

Now we've lost Spacek, and the Oilers D is looking pretty weak. Kevin Lowe picked up free agent Daniel Tjarnqvist, adding a bit of depth to our defence. But in no way is Tjarnqvist a replacement for Pronger, or even Spacek. He has a pretty bad +/- record, but in all honesty he's played for some lousy teams, so I don't know if that's a good stat for the basis of an opinion.

The Oilers also let Laraque go over a silly dispute involving a no trade clause. Laraque really wanted to stay in Edmonton, and was apparently even willing to take a pay cut.

It's a stressful time in the off season, now that the pool of UFAs is growing thinner. The Oilers really need to pick up a defenceman who can anchor their powerplay. We also have 3 players whose contracts are going into arbitration. As bad as that is, I hear Buffalo has 12 players seeking arbitration, so I'll avoid complaining.

I've mostly been paying attention to the Oilers, so I'd be interested in hearing some perspective from other fans on how their team's off season is going.

TheTick
Member # 2883

Cautiously optimistic for this year. It's sad to see McKee and Grier go, but to get Spacek is a good signing (and cheaper). Grier apparently didn't want back as bad as he was saying, Darcy (Sabres GM) has mentioned he offered a similar deal to what Grier took for San Jose, so whatever. Roster spot for one of the young guys. They need another goaltender, as they should be trading Martin Biron, who has been nothing but a professional with that whole situation.

I'm not as worried about 12 in arbitration, as much as I am for next year when a whole bunch of folks will be straight up free agents.

TheTick
Member # 2883

By the way, anyone looking for a unique playoff souvenir, the NHL is auctioning off the official line-up cards for the Stanley Cup playoff games.
TheTick
Member # 2883

Training camps are opening up for most NHL teams...time to get back into HOCKEY!

How about the Islanders giving DiPietro a 15 year deal? He would be 40 years old when the deal finally expires, and if he retires due to injury, he gets to keep the money. Of course, the Isles just have to look at Yashin to see how deals like that can go wrong...

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've been reading about that deal on HFBoards. The Islanders fans are hoping that somehow Bettman says no to the deal, though I don't see how he could. Owners are allowed to be idiots. I haven't seen one single poster over on those boards say it is a good thing. The most optimistic I've seen of them says that there is a small chance this could someday work out to be a good thing, but most likely isn't.

As a renewed penguins fan (you can go back to the beginning pages to see me come very close to abandoning them, thank you akhockey for setting me straight), and hockey fan in general, I'm very much looking forward to the new season.

I even am planning on getting NHL Center Ice, so that I can actually watch more than one or two penguins games this year.

I've been following the Malkin fiasco all summer it feels like, reading the topics on the forums every day. It's been crazy, and hopefully the drama is mostly over. I'm hoping the boy can learn some english real soon, and that he plays nicely with Crosby, who is clearly the heart of the team.

Besides Crosby blowing everyone's expectations away, last year was a bit of a dissapointment as a pens fan, with all the hype they were getting right before the season. I have much higher hopes now that they have a coach who will push them, and a younger team with some drive to it.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I'm probably going to see a Pens game or two, either here or in Pittsburgh as I have family there now.
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that assuming Wang is willing to spend over the salary cap the DiPietro deal is a good move. If he turns out well the Islanders get an advantage from having a cheap elite goaltender. If he sucks he becomes the best paid minor league player in history and doesn't count against the cap. If that's right it's a rules loophole they'll probably have to address.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Still a pretty gutsy move for the team, it limits their options. Even if he starts to perform somewhat poorly in the future, they can't toss him aside as easily as another player with a smaller contract. With such a large investment, they are almost forced to put up with substandard play, if it means NOT giving up a 45 (or however much) million dollar player

There's risks and advantages on all sides. We'll have to wait and see, especially this season, to see how he does, and how good a deal it really was.

TheTick
Member # 2883

The Sabres showed off their new jerseys today for the first time. You know, I like it. I'd still prefer something with the crossed sabres, but it's unique. It reminds of some of the European jerseys you see at the Olympics.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Not sure how I feel about the colors, but I like the design.

Colors are too much like Pittsburg.

Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you're right TheTick. The new jerseys have a very European feel to them. I, like Lyrhawn, definitely like the design, but I'm not quite sure about the colors yet. They'll grow on me.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Great view of Brian Campbell in the new duds. This one has nothing to do with the new unis but 'fans' of Darcy Tucker will enjoy it.
Xavier
Member # 405

So the penguins won their first game, against the hated flyers, and in convincing fashion no less. Season couldn't have started much better than it did.

Fleury looked incredible. He supposedly wasn't very good in the preseason, and a lot of Pens fans didn't think he deserved the start. Some fans even wanted him traded or sent to the AHL. Good to see him go out there and dominate.

Staal actually looked pretty decent in his first game. Ruutu looked like an awesome addition to the team. Colby Armstrong was probably my favorite player tonight. He made a big hit at center ice, and then won the fight with the guy who attempted to punish him for it. The kid looks like he's 150 pounds soaking wet, so it was fun to see.

It is great having Center Ice and being able to see every single game I want to.

I see that the Baffaslugs also won last night, TheTick [Big Grin] . (Sorry, that nickname makes me chuckle every time I see it [Smile] )

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Is Center Ice like MLB tv?
Xavier
Member # 405

I'd imagine so. You pay a flat fee, and then you have something like seven or eight channels which only show NHL games.
TheTick
Member # 2883

You know, I created an 06/07 thread... [Wink]

Making jokes about the new logo is a great defense mechanism...remember that when the Sabres beat down the Pens/everyone else this year. [Big Grin]

Xavier
Member # 405

Who are these "sabres" of which you speek? I don't see any such thing on that logo [Wink] .
TheTick
Member # 2883

This from a fan of the lamest animal mascot in professional sports? If they get moved, maybe they can upgrade to 'Waterloo Wiener Dogs' or 'Hamilton Housecats'. [Wink]

Besides, it's not like the red/black sweaters had the sword featured prominently...in fact, in the exact same place as on the new ones, the secondary logo on the shoulders.

solo
Member # 3148

Battle of Alberta

Round 1 - Oilers 3 Flames 1

[Smile]

Sykora with a 3 point game. Hemsky 2 assists.

Round 2 is tomorrow night.

TheTick
Member # 2883

I know people were 'worried' about this with McKee gone, but Buffalo blocked 28 shots in their first game.

Time for Montreal to show just how much they improved this offseason.

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.