FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » (Formerly Nerdfest) Atlanta/Kennfest is just days away! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: (Formerly Nerdfest) Atlanta/Kennfest is just days away!
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Yup...ditto. [Smile]

*huggles*

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
SO MLK weekend may work, maybe? 3 day weekend of glee.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

What are the dates of MLK weekend?
Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

Friday the 13th-Monday the 16th of January.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for me, most likely [Smile]
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'ma try to make it there! No matter what city I'm in.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a long-term goal of mine to meet you, pH. [Big Grin] I'd be glad if you can come.

*hugsJaneX*

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

That's during J-term at my school, so I don't have official classes - that's good. I'm not sure yet what I'll be doing then, or if I'll be able to get money to fly to Atlanta, but I'll see what I can do.

~Jane~

krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
which hotel is it at? since i live in atlanta i would rather just commute instead of paying to stay at a hotel and eat out.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

The last two years, the Wyngate Inn has given us a deal on a meeting room package. The meeting room was a tradition started so that we could meet up on neutral space, without having to gather at somebody's house or in an actual hotel room. (Ron didn't want me bringing 'freaky internet people' home [Wink] )

http://www.wingateinns.com/Wingate/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=09911&brandInfo=WG

I suppose since we're taking the LotR element out of it, we can use the meeting room to watch other movies or play games or whatever. But I guess we could do without it.

It ended up being, what? $2.50 a person last year? ($25.00 a day for two days... It'd be $5.oo each if we had ten people. With Ben, Lindsay, Dave, me and Jim-Me, we're already halfway there.) We had more than 15 but fewer than 20 last year, I think.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

It's actually in Kennesaw, BTW.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(Ron didn't want me bringing 'freaky internet people' home )

Wow, did he make an exception for me? I'm touched. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

[Wink] Of course.

The first year it was just me and Belle to begin with, and he'd met her. We were just going to go see Two Towers together, but word got out and people were asking if they could come. Like, from way out of town. So we got a hotel and a meeting room so we could be comfortable actually 'meeting' each other.

I broke his rule that year by bringing ladyday home. She helped with the set-up, too. [Big Grin]

I mean, Hatrack has a very low freak-quotient, in my experience, but I do like to meet people before they are exposed to my children and stuff.

That said, Ketchup was a special case. [Wink] Katie knew you pretty well, and I trust Katie. Plus, a Mormon mommy and her wee one? I should think you'd be the one worried about sleeping at some strange heathen's house! [Wink] [Kiss]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Again, people with two kids I don't usually worry about staying with. Plus, Katie vouched for you.

I guess Katie was our match-maker. [Kiss]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

i can totally talk Abby into showing up, so that's one more, in theory.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

And if Abby shows up, all kinds of guys will want to come. [Razz]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
If we can make it, I can bring oodles of fencing gear to play with.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone will be coming from Florida and has room for 1 poor college student let me know.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

Allegra, Worst case scenario would be you crashing on our futon 5 minutes from the hotel.
Allegra
Member # 6773

You would let me crash on your futon? If I could get a ride up there crashing on your futon would be greatly appreciated.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

you don't have cooties do you? or set fire to living room furniture? if the answer to both questions is no, then you are more than welcome to ride the futon.
Allegra
Member # 6773

I was properly vaccinated against cooties as a child, and I would leave my matches at home. [Wink]
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
If we can make it, I can bring oodles of fencing gear to play with.

*would willingly suffer much for a chance to fence Mack*
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, and guess what!? Jamie's actually giving me enough notice that I might be able to sell my soul to my supervisor to get that weekend off! We'll see, though.

::looks at finances::

You better grow like mold.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, well, I'm going to be talking to Sarah and seeing if I can gets me an airport job.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

w00t!
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Alrighty, I'm excited.

I haven't seen Jamie since spring 2004, and I haven't seen JaneX and Nathan since WenchCon II in January of '04.

Be'lindsay and Olivia are always such a joy to hang with too - I'll vouch for 'em.

And I'd love to hang with the rest of y'all for a weekend.

Oh, and Allegra? That is one comfy futon.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I haven't seen any of you people, unless the Ketchup Family makes it...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Which we probably won't.

Unless Santa (read: my dad) brings me plane tickets.

Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Santa would rock if he brought you plane tickets . . . (You know, the offer of a sleeping-place goes for you, too. I know half the fun is staying at the hotel [and we will hopefully be able to do that despite having absolutely no need to], but if you can manage to get yourself out here somehow, you don't have to worry about having a place to stay. We have plenty of sleep-surfaces. Not enough to host WenchCon at the apartment, but enough for multiple guests to be comfortable for a weekend.)

[ October 29, 2005, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Ophelia ]

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I can vouch for allegra not having cooties, but she I once remember her setting fire to something.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, I like to set fire to things, too, but I know how to behave in company. That's why she said she's leave her matches at home. [Big Grin]
Olivet
Member # 1104

Ketchup, I'd love to see you again, if it would be possible. That's a HECK of a flight, though. And you pregnant, too. *worries* We understand if you can't. I 'd love to see ya, but if you DO come,, we'll really have to make it worth the trouble. *runs in circles*
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hmmm.

So are you saying if I come, you're going to do a belly dance and present me with chocolate? [Big Grin]

Olivet
Member # 1104

Um... *sigh*

Okay. Anything for you. [Wink]

*thinks her belly could dance all by itself*

At least I can make sure the chocolate will be good. [Smile]

JaneX
Member # 2026

*bump*
Ben
Member # 6117

It looks like we could get ourselves a nerd gathering going on.

sweet

Allegra
Member # 6773

I have been asking around and I am sure that I will be able to catch a ride to Altanta and back with someone who is going home for the long weekend. It looks like this might actually work out! I might have enough money at that point for a hotel room (or maybe part of one), but I won't know until I see what Santa brings me for Christmas.
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt January will work for me. [Frown]

If, by some weird chance, it does end up working out, I'll be there. Otherwise...have fun!

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I would like to point out that everyone should have a vested interest in getting me there, since Olivia has said that she will do a bellydance if I come, and has failed to specify that it's for me only. [Razz]
Ser Bronn Stone
Member # 8759

- posted      Profile for Ser Bronn Stone   Email Ser Bronn Stone         Edit/Delete Post 
I am brand new here but I am seriously considering an Atlanta trip in January for other reasons. Hmmmm......
Posts: 38 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
so what is the total head count for people who seriously think they can attend? should we have nametags with our screen names on them when we get there? hehe, that would be funny. other people would see the "hello my name is ______" stickers and think we are seriously nerds. it would suit the title of our gathering nicely.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

We did that the first couple of years, but not last year. I think it's a good idea.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to have nametags at the con I planned (hatrack unplugged), but they got rained on, and Rhaegar drew male anatomy on the one that wasn't ruined. That's pretty much how all of that con seems in my mind, but it was fun. Hopefully lots of new people can go to wenchcon. I'll miss you all, maybe if Allegra goes, she'll call me.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

ladyday designed some for the first one, and printed them on labels at my house. They were peel and stick, with an elanor flower in the background.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

A nametag would have helped when Olivia came to pick us up at the airport and neither of us had a good pic of the other. [Blushing]
Olivet
Member # 1104

I was trying to casually start conversations with women who had babies... Kinda funny. I saw ketchup approaching the carousel for her flight's luggage and offered to carry her baby seat. It was so funny.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We were both kind of eyeing each other up, because we didn't want to ask, "Are you Olivia?" or "Are you Anne" and be completely wrong. Eventually I think it was Olivia who was brave enough to do it.
Olivet
Member # 1104

By then I had chatted up several women with babies, explaining that I was there to pick up a lady that I didn't actually know. [Big Grin] I fgured she'd just got off a plane, so she probably wouldn't mace me. [Wink]
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in Augusta, so going wouldn't be a problem, but who's invited to these things?
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.